Connect with us

Southwest

Search for Nancy Guthrie enters 5th week, cadaver dogs on hold

Published

on

Search for Nancy Guthrie enters 5th week, cadaver dogs on hold

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

TUCSON, Ariz. — More than five weeks after the suspected abduction of Nancy Guthrie — the 84-year-old mother of “Today” co-host Savannah Guthrie — Arizona authorities say cadaver dogs used earlier in the investigation are not currently being deployed as the search continues.

The elder Guthrie is believed to have been kidnapped from her home in the Catalina Foothills in northern Tucson around 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 1.

While no suspects have been publicly identified, and she has not been found, cadaver dogs had been deployed earlier in the case, according to Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos. They have not been visible in weeks.

SEND US A TIP HERE

Advertisement

A member of the Pima County Sheriff’s Office remains outside of Nancy Guthrie’s home, Monday, Feb. 9, 2026 in Tucson, Ariz. (AP Photo/Ty ONeil; Nathan Congleton/NBC via Getty Images)

“They are available if needed in the future,” he told Fox News Digital.

There are a number of reasons not to be using cadaver dogs at this stage in the investigation, according to Betsy Brantner Smith, a retired police sergeant and spokeswoman for the National Police Association.

NANCY GUTHRIE’S NEIGHBORS FLAG CAMERA GLITCHING, EXPERTS EXPLAIN WI-FI JAMMING

Savannah Guthrie visits the Today show at Rockefeller Plaza in New York on Thursday, March 5, 2026. (Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)

Advertisement

One would be if there’s credible information that Guthrie is still alive.

“Anything is possible,” Nanos told Fox News Digital last week, adding that he would not discuss specific leads or evidence in the case.

DNA IS STILL PENDING AS VOLUNTEERS FIND ANOTHER GLOVE IN THE SEARCH FOR NANCY GUTHRIE

Brantner Smith, who is not involved in the case, said departments may hold back K-9 resources for several reasons. Those could be that authorities don’t have a good idea of where to search, they think she might be concealed in a place where dogs would have a hard time detecting her, or they believe she’s been taken to Mexico, according to Brantner Smith.

Law enforcement agents walk around the neighborhood where Annie Guthrie, whose mother Nancy Guthrie has been missing for more than a week, lives just outside Tucson, Ariz. (Ty ONeil/AP Photo)

Advertisement

“I do believe that the sheriff’s department has much more information that they are not releasing to the public,” she told Fox News Digital. “And I’m not sure at this point why that would be, unless they have a solid suspect and don’t want to tip them off.”

FOLLOW THE FOX TRUE CRIME TEAM ON X

Most departments, including the Pima County Sheriff’s, don’t have their own cadaver dogs and borrow them from state and federal authorities or neighboring jurisdictions.

An investigator looks inside a culvert in the neighborhood where Annie Guthrie, whose mother Nancy Guthrie has been missing for more than a week, lives just outside Tucson, Ariz., on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026. (Ty ONeil/AP Photo)

In Guthrie’s case, the sheriff’s department sought K-9 assistance from the local Border Patrol office earlier in the investigation.

Advertisement

SIGN UP TO GET TRUE CRIME NEWSLETTER

PCSD deferred further comment on the K-9s to Customs and Border Protection, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A member of the Pima County Sheriff’s Office walks around Nancy Guthrie’s home on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026 in Tucson, Ariz. (Ty ONeil/AP Photo)

The biggest lead so far has been Nest camera video showing a masked intruder on Guthrie’s doorstep the morning of her abduction.

LISTEN TO THE NEW ‘CRIME & JUSTICE WITH DONNA ROTUNNO’ PODCAST

Advertisement

He is described as about 5 feet, 9 inches to 5 feet, 10 inches tall and of medium build.

Nancy Guthrie, 84, has been missing from her Arizona home since Jan. 31, 2026. (Don Arnold/WireImage/Getty Images)

He was wearing a black Ozark Trail backpack.

Authorities have said they won’t consider the case cold until they run out of viable leads to follow up on — and tens of thousands have come in so far.

LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING? FIND MORE ON THE TRUE CRIME HUB

Advertisement

Savannah Guthrie has asked anyone with information to dial 1-800-CALL-FBI.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

There’s a combined reward of more than $1.2 million for information that leads to her mother’s recovery.



Read the full article from Here

Advertisement

Los Angeles, Ca

Grandmother hospitalized after hit-and-run slams into her in San Fernando

Published

on

Grandmother hospitalized after hit-and-run slams into her in San Fernando

A grandmother was hospitalized with severe injuries after being struck by a hit-and-run driver in San Fernando.

On May 20, Sonia Mikaelian, 62, was walking on a crosswalk at 5th Street and North Maclay Avenue around 6:20 p.m. when a driver in a white Toyota Tacoma pickup truck made a left turn and slammed into the woman on the busy street. 

The suspect continued speeding away, leaving the injured woman lying on the road. 

“As soon as they hit her, they bolted down the street without any regard,” the victim’s son, Vrej Mikaelian, told KTLA’s Sara Welch.

Sonia was hospitalized with broken bones and other serious injuries and has a long road to recovery. 

Advertisement

Vrej said he’s thankful that a group of bystanders immediately rushed over to help his mother. As the driver remains at large, loved ones are doing everything they can to find them. 

Vrej said he was frustrated over the lack of updates from law enforcement on the investigation. “There is absolutely no response from them whatsoever,” he said. “Where is the investigation? Where is the reach out to the victims?”

Family members are asking anyone who may have dashcam or surveillance footage of the incident to come forward and provide the evidence to San Fernando police. 

They also noted the suspect’s truck has a utility rack and there appeared to be a passenger inside the vehicle.

The suspect was driving a white Toyota Tacoma pickup truck with a utility track when they hit the victim in San Fernando on May 20, 2026. (Mikaelian Family)

Ultimately, the woman’s family said they hope the driver will do the right thing and turn themselves in.

Advertisement

“We personally will forgive you for what you have done,” Vrej said. “There are no consequences from us. Just turn yourself in.”

Anyone with information on the case can call the San Fernando Police Department at 818-898-1267.

Continue Reading

Los Angeles, Ca

Los Angeles man charged in Southern California catalytic converter theft spree

Published

on

Los Angeles man charged in Southern California catalytic converter theft spree

A Los Angeles man has been charged in connection with a string of catalytic converter thefts across Ventura County, prosecutors announced Friday.

Efran Esau Flores Alvarez, 20, is facing nine felony grand theft charges after investigators linked him to a series of thefts reported in Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley between March 20 and April 23, according to the Ventura County District Attorney’s Office.

Authorities said Alvarez was arrested on May 19.

During the arrest, investigators allegedly found a hand saw, impact drills, saw blades and a floor jack inside his vehicle, along with more than $5,600 in cash.

Advertisement

Investigators believe Alvarez may be connected to additional catalytic converter thefts throughout Ventura County, and officials said the investigation remains ongoing, adding that more charges could be filed.

Catalytic converter thefts have remained a persistent issue across Southern California in recent years because the devices contain valuable precious metals, including platinum, palladium and rhodium.

The Ventura County Sheriff’s Office and the Simi Valley Police Department investigated the case.

Prosecutors also filed a special allegation claiming the crimes showed “planning, sophistication, or professionalism,” according to court documents.

Alvarez pleaded not guilty during his arraignment Thursday in Ventura County Superior Court. He remains in custody with bail set at $75,000 and is scheduled to return to court June 2 for an early disposition conference.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Los Angeles, Ca

Firefighters make progress on wildfires burning across Southern California

Published

on

Firefighters make progress on wildfires burning across Southern California

Firefighters are making significant progress on the flurry of wildfires that ignited across Southern California within the last week, during a period of dry, windy weather.

Firefighters say they’re now in the mop-up phase of battling the region’s largest active wildfire, the Santa Rosa Island Fire. The fire has grown to nearly 18,400 acres since it started on May 15.

The Santa Rosa Island Fire is the largest ever recorded on the Channel Islands. Investigators say the fire was started by an emergency flare fired by a man who crashed his sailboat into the island. 

Two uninhabited historic structures have been lost to the fire: The Johnson’s Lee Equipment Shed on the western end of the island, and Wreck Line Camp Cabin on the eastern end, National Park Service officials said.

The Sandy Fire in Ventura County is now 61% contained after burning nearly 2,200 acres in Simi Valley. The fire started on May 18, and has destroyed at least one home.

Advertisement

The Sandy Fire prompted the Simi Valley Unified School District to shutter all of its schools for almost a week. The district announced Friday that the schools will reopen on May 26. The district said that the closures will not result in a longer school year.

“We will not need to extend the school year to make up for the days schools were closed due to the fire emergency,” the Simi Valley Unified School District announced Friday. “The district intends to seek the appropriate state waiver related to attendance and instructional minutes resulting from a widespread public emergency.”

Firefighters are silhouetted walking amid the firing operation to control the Sandy Fire, Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in Simi Valley, Calif. (AP Photo/Caroline Brehman)

See details for all the major fires burning across Southern California below:

Santa Rosa Island Fire

  • Location: Channel Islands National Park
  • Size: 18,379 acres
  • Containment: 72% contained
  • Date started: May 15

Sandy Fire

  • Location: Ventura County
  • Size: 2,183 acres
  • Containment: 61% contained
  • Date started: May 18

Bain Fire

  • Location: Riverside County
  • Size: 1,497 acres
  • Containment: 81% contained
  • Date started: May 19

Verona Fire

  • Location: Riverside County
  • Size: 648 acres
  • Containment: 67% contained
  • Date started: May 19

Tusil Fire

  • Location: San Diego County
  • Size: 820 acres
  • Containment: 100% contained
  • Date started: May 19

Alta Fire 

  • Location: Los Angeles County
  • Size: 334 acres
  • Containment: 0% contained
  • Date started: May 21
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending