Connect with us

World

White House Correspondents’ Dinner Shooting: President Trump and First Lady Evacuated After Shots Fired; Suspect in Custody as Trump Vows to Reschedule

Published

on

White House Correspondents’ Dinner Shooting: President Trump and First Lady Evacuated After Shots Fired; Suspect in Custody as Trump Vows to Reschedule

The White House Correspondents’ Association dinner was turned upside down Saturday night as a gunman was taken into custody after shots were fired near the ballroom at the Washington Hilton. President Trump, first lady Melania Trump and other administration officials were evacuated by the Secret Service after the shots disrupted the annual gala fundraiser event.

President Trump and first lady and numerous cabinet officials were swiftly evacuated from the event as the shooter was tackled by law enforcement. Law enforcement officials said the suspect charged a security checkpoint with magnetometer screening devices with a rifle, a hand gun and knives in tow. He is reported to have exchanged gunfire with Secret Service officials.

On a night that was to be momentous for marking Trump’s first time at the WHCA dinner as president, the commander-in-chief ended it with an impromptu press briefing at the White House, as dinner attendees scrambled to cover the unexpected turn of events — all while dressed up in evening wear.

President Trump has had a pugnacious relationship with mainstream media and news organizations. At his late-night briefing, he sought to strike a conciliatory tone and even complimented the media for the immediate coverage of the latest shooting incident to disrupt the normal routines of American life. Trump praised the quick work of law enforcement officials that ensured the gun was “taken down by some very brave members” of the Secret Service.

“In light of this evening’s events, I ask that all Americans recommit with their hearts and resolving our difference be soon we have to, we have to resolve our differences peacefully,” Trump said.

Advertisement

CNN reported that a Secret Service agent wearing protective gear had been shot and taken to the hospital. Law enforcement officials confirmed that a man was in custody; reports emerged that he was a 31-year-old man from Torrance, Calif.

After about an hour of confusion within the ballroom, WHCA president Weijia Jiang, of CBS News, came to the podium with tears in her eyes to tell the attendees to leave the ballroom. And she also informed members of the association of the President’s plan to hold a press briefing at the White House within 30 minutes. “That is not a joke,” Jiang deadpanned.

Jiang added that Trump “insists that we will reschedule this event in the next 30 days,” Jiang said. “He wanted to continue despite the news but has to follow security protocol,” she said. Jiang noted that journalism is a profession designed to rise to the occasion in a crisis.

“On a night when are thinking about those freedoms and the First Amendment, we must also think about how fragile they are,” she siad. “I saw all of you reporting and that’s what we do. So thank god, everybody’s safe. Thank you for coming together tonight, and we’ll do this again.”

Trump’s statement issued on his Truth Social platform also laid out his determination to proceed with the event.

Advertisement

“Law Enforcement has requested that we leave the premises, consistent with protocol, which we will do, immediately. I will be giving a press conference in 30 minutes from the White House Press Briefing Room. The First Lady, plus the Vice President, and all Cabinet members, are in perfect condition. We will be speaking to you in a half an hour. I have spoken with all the representatives in charge of the event, and we will be rescheduling within 30 days. President DONALD J. TRUMP,” the statement read.

Earlier in the night, after he’d been removed from the ballroom, Trump issued a message stating his hope to go back to the Hilton to finish the night as planned. In that statement, Trump addressed the extraordinary brush with violence: “Quite an evening in D.C. Secret Service and Law Enforcement did a fantastic job. They acted quickly and bravely. The shooter has been apprehended, and I have recommended that we ‘LET THE SHOW GO ON’ but will entirely be guided by Law Enforcement. They will make a decision shortly. Regardless of that decision, the evening will be much different than planned, and we’ll just, plain, have to do it again,” the President stated.

CNN’s Wolf Blitzer reported on-air that he heard the gunshots and was thrown to the ground by police for safety. Blitzer said he saw the gunman “shooting randomly” and saw him being tackled by police. He was ushered into a restroom for safety by police. Blitzer said he heard at least six dozen loud “booms.” Blitzer told CNN that he had just left the ballroom to use the restroom. As he walked back to his table, he suddenly heard “a whole bunch of gunshots and someone firing. The next thing I saw were a lot of police officers and other law enforcement grabbing [the gunman] and getting him to the ground.”

Shortly after 9 p.m. ET, WHCA president Weijia Jiang told the crowd that the program would continue despite the commotion caused by the incident and Trump’s swift departure. However, by 9:20 p.m. ET it was clear that security was clearing out the ballroom, indicating that the event had been formally scrapped.

The situation sparked immediate on-the-ground reporting from journalists across the media spectrum who took to social media platforms to deliver urgent reports.

Advertisement

ABC News’ Rachel Scott called the situation “terrifying” and described the confusion as attendees suddenly looked up to see Secret Service personnel swarming the president. And it all happened “as [WHCA] members here in this ballroom ducked for cover,” Scott reported on Instagram.

CSPAN coverage showed that just as guests were finishing the salad course of the dinner, the dais for the event was abruptly cleared out and many of the several thousand attendees of the event dove under tables amid concerns about a major security breach. Witnesses told CSPAN that they heard yelling from the back of the ballroom before the Secret Service swept into the room. On CSPAN’s coverage around the 8:40 p.m. ET mark, shouts of “USA, USA” can be heard from the back of the ballroom.

The scene outside the Washington Hilton earlier in the night was tense, with protestors chanting about U.S. action in Iran as attendees entered the hotel. Multiple layers of security with Washington, D.C. streets around the hotel closed off and tickets were required to move past several checkpoints in the hotel and facility. Longtime attendees of the WHCA dinner said they’d never seen tighter security at the event.

After shooting, there was initial confusion as to what had happened before journalists were able to reach their news outlets to report the details of what unfolded. CNN, CNBC, CSPAN and other outlets delivered the news of what just happened in the ballroom in telephone interviews with startled and rattled journalists who were on site.

Most of journalism’s top players were in attendance at the annual fundraiser event. Versant CEO Mark Lazarus, ABC News president Almin Karamehmedovic, “Good Morning America” executive producer Simone Swink and Fox News Media CEO Suzanne Scott are among the notables who were seen at pre-parties on Saturday.

Advertisement

Among the Trump administration officials attending the event were Vice President JD Vance, White House deputy chief of policy Stephen Miller, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, Tulsi Gabbard, director of national intelligence, and Erika Kirk, CEO of Turning Point USA. There were numerous reports that Kirk was seen to be visibly shaken by the incident, which comes seven months after her political activist husband, Charlie Kirk, was shot during an appearance at a Utah university.

The Trump administration’s strong showing at the event is in sharp contrast to his actions in his previous time in the White House. The 2026 dinner marks Trump’s first time attending the event, which traditionally features a comedian who roasts the president and Washington establishment. This time around the WHCA booked mentalist Oz Pearlman as the celebrity performer. Pearlman was seen making the rounds with top journalists prominently in the live coverage of the event before the disruption.

Trump has had a contentious relationship with mainstream journalists since his political ambitions took off in 2015. Since his return to the White House, the Trump administration has been aggressive in challenging journalism conventions, and the President has not let up on his attacks on the integrity and competence of mainstream journalism. Trump has also engaged in litigation with ABC News, CBS News and the Wall Street Journal, among others.

World

Stocks fall and oil prices gain after Trump warns the Iran ‘clock is ticking’

Published

on

Stocks fall and oil prices gain after Trump warns the Iran ‘clock is ticking’

HONG KONG (AP) — Asian stocks mostly retreated and oil prices jumped on Monday after U.S. President Donald Trump warned Tehran that the “clock is ticking” as U.S.-Iran negotiations over a permanent end to the war stall.

U.S. futures fell and markets in Japan and South Korea pulled further back from their records. Tokyo’s Nikkei 225 fell 1% to 60,815.95, a decline led by technology-related stocks. It reached all-time intraday high levels last week above 63,000.

The yield on the 10-year Japanese government bond surged to as high as 2.8%, its highest level since the late 1990s, part of a shift toward higher yields as the Bank of Japan gradually raises interest rates and higher energy costs raise expectations of rising inflation. That’s up from around 2.55% just one week ago.

Seoul’s Kospi climbed 0.3% to 7,516.04 after trading lower earlier in the day. It crossed the 8,000 mark for the first time on Friday, supported by buying of technology shares driven by the boom in artificial intelligence, but later declined partly on profit-taking by investors.

Hong Kong’s Hang Seng lost 1.4% to 25,596.68. The Shanghai Composite index edged 0.1% lower to 4,131.53, after China reported weaker-than-expected retail data for April.

Advertisement

Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 declined 1.5% to 8,505.30.

Taiwan’s Taiex dropped 0.7%, while India’s Sensex fell 0.1%.

Oil prices rose after Trump warned Iran in a social media post that “the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them” following a call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Trump has set deadlines for Iran and then backed off, so investors have remained cautious about the situation in the Strait of Hormuz and how it is impacting global energy flows, including oil and gas. The strait is still mostly closed, and the U.S. has also imposed its own sea blockade on Iranian ports since last month.

A drone strike over the weekend on a United Arab Emirates’ nuclear power plant added to worries over a potential escalation in the conflict.

Advertisement

Brent crude, the international standard, gained 0.7% to $110.02 per barrel. It was trading at roughly $70 a barrel in late February before the start of the Iran war. Benchmark U.S. crude was trading 0.8% higher to $106.31 per barrel.

“Re-escalation risks are increasing,” ING commodities strategists Warren Patterson and Ewa Manthey wrote in a research note. While there has also been a pick up on shipping activities over the past week around the strait, they said, “this can change quickly.”

The pair also noted that the oil market was reacting to the lack of tangible results on the Iran war after last week’s widely-watched summit between Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing, even as the White House said both the U.S. and China had agreed that the Strait of Hormuz must remain open.

U.S. officials had hoped that Beijing could use its influence, given its economic ties with Iran, to help broker a peace agreement and reopen the strait. Trump said last week in an interview that Xi told him China “would like to be of help” in negotiating an end to the war. So far it’s been unclear how Beijing might do that.

The yield on the U.S. 10-year Treasury was at around 4.60%, up from 4.47% last Thursday and sharply higher than the nearly 4% level it was holding at before the Iran war.

Advertisement

On Friday, the benchmark S&P 500 dropped 1.2% from the record it set the day before. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 1.1% and the technology-heavy Nasdaq composite lost 1.5%.

In other dealings early Monday, the U.S. dollar rose to 158.86 Japanese yen from 158.62 yen. The euro was trading at $1.1635, up from $1.1622.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

World

Canada confirms hantavirus case linked to cruise ship outbreak that has killed three passengers

Published

on

Canada confirms hantavirus case linked to cruise ship outbreak that has killed three passengers

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Canadian health officials on Sunday confirmed that one of four Canadians who returned from the MV Hondius cruise ship, the subject of an international Andes hantavirus outbreak, tested positive for hantavirus. Three people connected to the outbreak have died.

Advertisement

The Public Health Agency of Canada confirmed the positive test after British Columbia’s top public health officer previously described the case as a “presumptive positive.”

“One individual’s sample was confirmed positive for hantavirus,” the agency said in a statement.

Officials said additional testing will be conducted at a national laboratory. It was not immediately clear whether that testing was for confirmation, strain characterization or another purpose.

CRUISE SHIP PASSENGER DESCRIBES UNCERTAINTY AFTER 3 DEATHS AMID HANTAVIRUS PROBE

Experts say cruise outbreaks get more attention due to public reporting rules, but many travelers still plan to sail as booked. (Myloupe/Universal Images Group)

Advertisement

The development comes as global health officials continue monitoring the rare hantavirus outbreak tied to the MV Hondius, which has sickened multiple passengers.

As of May 13, the World Health Organization said 11 cases had been identified in connection with the cruise outbreak, including eight confirmed cases, two probable cases and one inconclusive case. Those figures included three deaths. The Associated Press later reported that the Canadian confirmation brought the number of people from the ship who had tested positive to 10.

Canadian health officials said four Canadians returned home from the MV Hondius, though only one has tested positive for the virus.

RARE HANTAVIRUS HUMAN-TO-HUMAN TRANSMISSION SUSPECTED ON LUXURY CRUISE SHIP WHERE 3 HAVE DIED

The rare Andes virus, which was linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship outbreak, is the only known hantavirus strain that has the capability to spread from person to person, usually through prolonged close contact. (Andres Gutierrez/Anadolu)

Advertisement

The confirmed patient and a traveling companion — identified as a Yukon couple in their 70s — returned from the cruise together. The companion later tested negative, officials said.

A third person in their 70s from Vancouver Island remains in isolation, along with a British Columbia resident in their 50s.

So far, no confirmed U.S. cases tied to the cruise ship have been reported, though WHO said as of May 13 that one U.S.-repatriated passenger had inconclusive laboratory results and was undergoing retesting.

HANTAVIRUS DEATHS ON CRUISE SHIP HIGHLIGHT DANGERS OF RODENT-BORNE DISEASE

Pictured is the MV Hondius, the cruise ship tied to a hantavirus outbreak after a stop in Argentina that left three passengers dead. (Europa Press Canarias via Getty Images)

Advertisement

Last week, however, health officials in Ontario County, New York, announced they were investigating a suspected locally acquired hantavirus case unrelated to the cruise ship.

The Ontario County Public Health Department said there was no risk to the general public. Officials also said the strain typically seen in the United States is not known to spread from person to person.

The outbreak linked to the MV Hondius began after the Dutch cruise ship, carrying 147 passengers and crew members, departed Argentina on April 1 for a South Atlantic voyage.

TRAPPED CRUISE SHIP PASSENGER SHARES UPDATE ON CLEANLINESS OF SHIP AMID DEADLY HANTAVIRUS OUTBREAK

The outbreak has prompted heightened precautions internationally, including in the Netherlands, where Radboud University Medical Center quarantined 12 staff members after officials said a hantavirus patient’s blood and urine were not handled under the strictest protocols recommended for the virus strain.

Advertisement

The outbreak has also sparked comparisons to the coronavirus pandemic. However, Fox News senior medical analyst Dr. Marc Siegel previously told Fox News Digital there is “no comparison.”

He noted hantavirus is difficult to spread.

Passengers evacuated from the hantavirus-stricken Hondius cruise ship walk with their belongings after disembarking at Eindhoven Air Base, Netherlands, on May 12. (Piroschka van de Wouw)

“It’s not airborne … in terms of respiratory droplets hanging in the air,” he said. “It’s very difficult to transmit.”

While coronavirus “moved in the direction of humans in a significant way,” hantavirus has not, except for “very rare” cases of human-to-human transmission, he added.

Advertisement

The World Health Organization has assessed the risk to the global population as low, while noting that current evidence suggests subsequent human-to-human transmission may have occurred on board. Andes virus is the only hantavirus known to have documented person-to-person transmission, though such spread is considered rare.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Siegel also noted hantavirus cases have been reported in the United States for decades, though they remain “very rare.”

Fox News Digital’s Brittany Miller and Angelica Stabile, along with The Associated Press, contributed to this report.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

World

Moment of collision between two Navy jets at Idaho air show

Published

on

Moment of collision between two Navy jets at Idaho air show
NewsFeed

Two US Navy jets collided during an air show at Mountain Home Air Force Base in Idaho, sending both aircraft crashing to the ground in front of spectators. All four crew members ejected safely before impact.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending