Connect with us

Ohio

Intel construction report identifies completion delay, spending for New Albany plant

Published

on

Intel construction report identifies completion delay, spending for New Albany plant


Intel has spent $1.5 billion and hired 69 workers so far on what is the state’s biggest economic development project, a fraction of its $20 billion promise to build two factories in Licking County that will create 3,000 high-paying jobs.

Intel sad it remains fully committed to the entire investment of dollars and jobs in the area.

The semiconductor company also now says it anticipates construction of both plants to be finished in 2026-27 and to become operational in 2027-2028, according to a state report released Friday afternoon detailing Intel’s progress through 2023 on the project that was announced two years ago.

Advertisement

Initially, Intel said the plants would begin producing semiconductors by 2025.

The annual report is required of Intel as a condition of a $600 million grant designed to drive production of the tiny devices that power everything from computers to cars to military equipment back to the U.S. Intel received the money last September.

All together, Intel is receiving more than $2 billion in incentives from the state and New Albany.

“We are making great progress growing the Silicon Heartland,” Jim Evers, an Intel vice president in charge of the Ohio site, told the state in the report. “In addition to the approximately $1.5 billion investment in completed spends through 12/31/23 referenced in the report, Intel has an additional $3 billion in contractually committed spends underway, totaling $4.5 billion committed toward our Ohio One projects.

“This investment is growing every day as we work to establish a new manufacturing campus to build leading-edgesemiconductor chips right here in Ohio.”

Advertisement

“Transparency is always important, and we believe the public should be kept well-informed on the statewide impact of this transformative project,” Gov. Mike DeWine said in a statement.

Biden to announce federal grants to Intel next week, report says

Separately, President Biden is traveling to Arizona next week where he is expected to announce how many billions of dollars in federal aid from the CHIPS Act Intel will receive, Reuters reported Friday.

The $52.7 billion bill passed in 2022 includes $39 billion in grants along with loans, loan guarantees and tax credits as part of the push by the Biden administration to restore production of semiconductors to the U.S.

The Biden campaign has confirmed the visit to Arizona on Tuesday and Wednesday as part of an effort to mobilize voters in battleground states, The Arizona Republic reported Friday.

Advertisement

Along with Intel’s project in Ohio, Intel has been expanding its operations elsewhere in the U.S. as part of the reshoring effort, including Intel’s expansion in Chandler, a Phoenix suburb, where Intel is investing $20 billion to build two additional factories.

It has applied for money for all its expansion projects in the U.S.

Intel workers live in 14 Ohio counties

As of Dec. 31, Intel has hired 70 workers with 69 living in 14 Ohio counties and one out of state.

In addition to direct Intel employees, construction workers have come from 75 of Ohio’s 88 counties so far.

The state anticipates that the project will ultimately create 20,000 jobs across the state and add $2.8 billion to the state’s economy.

Advertisement

Intel also said its supplier network in Ohio has grown from around 150 when Intel announced the project more than 350 today.

Power company AEP Ohio is the top supplier, according to the report. Bechtel, the construction manager at the project is No. 2.

mawilliams@dispatch.com

@BizMarkWilliams



Source link

Advertisement

Ohio

Family sues semi driver charged in I-71 crash that killed Ohio parents, baby

Published

on

Family sues semi driver charged in I-71 crash that killed Ohio parents, baby


The family of a mother, father and baby boy killed in a fiery crash on Interstate 71 in Delaware County has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the semi driver accused of causing the wreck.

Lynnea and Luke Soposki and the couple’s 1-year-old baby were hit last month while they were sitting in construction traffic on I-71. The driver of the semi was identified as Modou Ngom.

The Soposki family filed the lawsuit today, alleging Ngom was negligent and that the crash could have been prevented.

Comment with Bubbles
Advertisement

BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT

Ngom is charged with aggravated homicide in the case.



Source link

Continue Reading

Ohio

Ohio lawmakers refuse to protect girls from nightmarish marriages | Opinion

Published

on

Ohio lawmakers refuse to protect girls from nightmarish marriages | Opinion



Men in Ohio can legally import 17-year-old child brides from any country around the world, a legal form of sex trafficking.

Advertisement
play

  • Ohio legislators are not voting on a bipartisan bill that would ban marriage before the age of 18.

Chagrin Falls resident Stephanie Lowry was 16 years old and 16 weeks pregnant when she was forced to marry a 19-year-old man in Summit County in 2001.

Fraidy Reiss is founder and executive director of Unchained At Last.

Ohio legislators are refusing to vote on Senate Bill 341, bipartisan legislation that would ban child marriage and stop encouraging adult men to prey on teenage girls.

Somewhere, Jeffrey Epstein is applauding.

Advertisement

Dozens of survivors of child marriage, experts and advocates – authors of this column included – have testified in strong support of the bill, to make the marriage age 18, no exceptions. Not a single member of the public has testified in opposition.

Not even the pedophile lobby.

But legislators are shrugging their shoulders and turning their backs.

So the marriage age in Ohio remains 17, even while states across the United States – including Pennsylvania and every state east and north of it, going all the way to Maine – have banned all marriage before age 18.

Advertisement

Girls are the ones who are suffering the heartbreaking consequences of Ohio legislators’ intransigence.

Some 5,063 teens were entered into marriage in Ohio between 2000 and 2024, according to marriage certificate data from the state health department analyzed by Unchained At Last, a nonprofit that leads a national movement to end forced and child marriage.

About 90 percent were girls wed to adult men.

a legal way to sex traffic girls

The term “suffering” is not hyperbole.

Advertisement

Current marriage-age laws legalize and incentivize the trafficking of teens under the guise of marriage.

A 17-year-old girl from Ohio can be taken overseas and forced to marry a lucky man who gets not only a teen bride but also a spousal visa and path to citizenship.

Additionally, men in Ohio can legally import 17-year-old child brides from any country around the world, a legal form of sex trafficking.

Further, marriage before age 18, even for the most mature 17-year-old, creates a nightmarish legal trap, simply because minors have limited legal rights until the day they turn 18.

Girls trapped

Advertisement

If they leave home to escape from parents who are planning an unwanted wedding for them, they can be taken into police custody and dragged back home or into court.

Where would they go anyway? Domestic violence shelters routinely turn away unaccompanied minors, in Unchained At Last’s experience.

Minors also are generally not allowed to bring a legal action independently, which creates additional obstacles. They also cannot easily retain an attorney to help them navigate this terrifying legal trap, because most contracts with minors, including retainer agreements, are voidable.

This is why all marriage before age 18 is recognized globally as forced marriage, which, in turn, is recognized as modern slavery.

The U.S. State Department also calls marriage before age 18 a human rights abuse, due to the devastating, lifelong repercussions it produces for girls. It undermines nearly every aspect of girls’ lives, from their health to their education and economic opportunities to their physical safety.

Advertisement

SB341, sponsored by Republican Sen. Louis Blessing and Democratic Sen. Bill DeMora, would solve all these problems, yet it would cost nothing. It has a $0 price tag. And it would harm no one, except creepy men who prey on teenage girls.

Ohio legislators must stop cruelly ignoring girls’ suffering and making Jeffrey Epstein proud. Pass SB341 today and ban child marriage.

Chagrin Falls resident Stephanie Lowry was 16 years old and 16 weeks pregnant when she was forced to marry a 19-year-old man in Summit County in 2001. She endured years of physical, sexual and financial abuse before she escaped, rebuilt her life and became an advocate.

Fraidy Reiss is a forced marriage survivor turned activist. She is founder and executive director of Unchained At Last, a nonprofit working to end forced and child marriage across the U.S.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Ohio

CDC monitoring salmonella outbreak, including 5 people in Ohio

Published

on

CDC monitoring salmonella outbreak, including 5 people in Ohio


COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) — The CDC and public health officials are investigating multi-state outbreaks of salmonella, including five people in Ohio. 

Dr. Joanna Failor with OhioHealth noted the outbreak of salmonella illnesses is linked to contact with backyard poultry.  

“The current strain that they’re seeing is related to the backyard chickens that many of us may have or our neighbors have,” Failor said. “It has been shown on almost every case, or I believe, actually every case, has been resistant to at least one of the typical medicines that we would use.” 

According to the CDC, more than 180 people have been infected with the outbreak strains of salmonella. About 34% of people have been hospitalized. Over a quarter of those infected are children under the age of 5.   

Advertisement

“The under-five are a lot less reliable with their hand washing and they’re much more likely to be touching their face and not really handling chickens appropriately,” Failor said. “If kids or adults really can’t keep fluids down and they’re just starting to get lightheaded, dizzy, really weak. Those would all be reasons that they need to seek treatment.” 

Though the majority of people can recover from illness without treatment, preventing exposure and sticking to the basics is the best way to avoid infection.   

“It goes back to making sure you handle everything properly, hand wash, cook your eggs, throw away cracked eggs,” Failor said. “Hopefully if there is one single source that is the explanation for all of these, then they’ll need to look into their hand hygiene practices.” 

Health officials explained the true number of cases is likely much higher than what has been reported, but the CDC is collecting data to identify the source of the outbreak. 

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending