Connect with us

Lifestyle

The Louvre Museum looks to rehouse the 'Mona Lisa' in its own room — underground

Published

on

The Louvre Museum looks to rehouse the 'Mona Lisa' in its own room — underground

Visitors observe the painting the Mona Lisa by Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci on display in a gallery at Louvre on May 19, 2021 in Paris, France.

Marc Piasecki/Getty Images


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Marc Piasecki/Getty Images


Visitors observe the painting the Mona Lisa by Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci on display in a gallery at Louvre on May 19, 2021 in Paris, France.

Marc Piasecki/Getty Images

The room which houses the Mona Lisa at the Louvre Museum in Paris was last renovated only five years ago, in 2019.

But the museum is now already looking at making further improvements.

Advertisement

In an interview with French broadcaster France Inter, excerpts of which are available on social media, the Louvre’s director, Laurence des Cars, said her institution is now looking at upgrading both the conditions surrounding Leonardo da Vinci’s iconic Renaissance painting, as well as the overall visitor experience.

“I place it at the heart of my mission as the director to better welcome the public. And it’s always frustrating when our visitor experience is not quite up to par — as is the case, obviously, with the Mona Lisa,” said des Cars in the France Inter interview on Friday. “So in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture, we are thinking about making necessary improvements.”

According to a report this past week in the French newspaper Le Figaro, the plans involve moving the painting, which is worth more than $830 million by some estimates, into a separate underground room. Currently, the Mona Lisa shares a large room with other artworks.

The proposed upgrades, according to Le Figaro, would create two subterranean entry points for visitors: one for the Mona Lisa and the other for temporary exhibitions. The estimated renovation budget is 500 million euros (about $535 million). But the price tag could be affected by state budget cuts.

Advertisement

A visitor photographs the painting the Mona Lisa by Italian artist Leonardo Da Vinci on display in a gallery at the Louvre on May 19, 2021 in Paris.

Marc Piasecki/Getty Images


hide caption

toggle caption

Marc Piasecki/Getty Images

Advertisement


A visitor photographs the painting the Mona Lisa by Italian artist Leonardo Da Vinci on display in a gallery at the Louvre on May 19, 2021 in Paris.

Marc Piasecki/Getty Images

The Louvre is the world’s most-visited museum, bringing in 8-10 million people last year, and the Mona Lisa is by far its biggest attraction. The museum receives some 20-30,000 visitors daily.

But many museum-goers complain about waiting in line for hours, the stuffy conditions, and only getting to spend a few seconds viewing the painting, which is housed behind bulletproof glass.

One recent analysis of visitors’ online reviews of big museums and their most lauded artworks cited the Mona Lisa as “the world’s most disappointing masterpiece,” owing to the negativity of nearly 40% of reviews.

Advertisement

The Mona Lisa itself has also been the target of numerous attacks over the years. In January, climate change activists threw soup at the painting. The work itself was not damaged.

With Paris hosting the Olympic Games this summer, the Louvre is expecting a deluge of visitors. This past week the museum launched a special exhibition devoted to the origins of the global sports event.

Lifestyle

Stephen Colbert takes his last bow in late night : Pop Culture Happy Hour

Published

on

Stephen Colbert takes his last bow in late night : Pop Culture Happy Hour

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on Monday May 18, 2026.

Scott Kowalchyk/CBS Broadcasting Inc.


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Scott Kowalchyk/CBS Broadcasting Inc.

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert comes to an end this week amid a lot of changes in the business and the country. Some of the sources of tension include the economics of late night, the approaching merger of Paramount and Warner Brothers, and President Donald Trump’s constant criticism of late-night hosts. But for Colbert’s fans, it’s the end of a friendly, funny, candid show. So we’re talking about the legacy of Stephen Colbert in late night.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

The Debrief | Inside The Swatch x Audemars Piguet Global Frenzy

Published

on

The Debrief | Inside The Swatch x Audemars Piguet Global Frenzy
As Swatch and Audemars Piguet sparked a global retail frenzy over the weekend with a $400 plastic pocket watch, BoF’s Cathaleen Chen and Mimosa Spencer dissect whether high-low collaborations democratise luxury or dilute brand equity in an industry built on exclusivity.
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

After the Kars4Kids ad is banned in California, we check in on nostalgic jingles past

Published

on

After the Kars4Kids ad is banned in California, we check in on nostalgic jingles past

Kars4Kids advertisements, like this TV commercial on a hot-pink set, feature children turning the charity’s phone number into a catchy jingle. But they do not disclose that most of the proceeds go to a Jewish nonprofit that supports programming for young adults.

Kars4Kids/Screenshot by NPR


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Kars4Kids/Screenshot by NPR

The “Kars4Kids” jingle — with its chipper melody and high-pitched, pre-tween singers — has been wedged firmly in many Americans’ heads for two decades. But it may soon go off the air in California after a judge banned it for being “deceptive.”

Judge Gassia Apkarian of the Orange County Superior Court ruled earlier this month that the ad violates California’s laws against unfair competition and false advertising because it does not disclose Kars4Kids’ religious affiliation.

The case has put the jingle — and the charity behind it — in the headlines. And it inspired us to check in on some other nostalgic favorites (more on that below).

Advertisement

The Kars4Kids case, explained 

Kars4Kids says it gives most of its proceeds from used-car donations to Oorah, an Orthodox Jewish nonprofit based in New Jersey that provides opportunities like summer camps, adult matchmaking services and trips to Israel.

Kars4Kids makes the connection to its “sister nonprofit” clear on its website, though not in its infamous jingle: “1-877-Kars4Kids / K-A-R-S Kars for Kids / 1-877-Kars4Kids / Donate your car today.”

That omission prompted California resident Bruce Puterbaugh to sue Oorah in 2021.

According to the judge’s order, Puterbaugh testified that he donated a 2001 Volvo station wagon after hearing the Kars4Kids advertisement “over and over,” believing the money would benefit California kids in need. Puterbaugh, a self-described “not a computer person” in his 70s, said he never visited the charity’s website and only learned the truth from a casual conversation with his Lake County neighbor after the car was picked up.

“He testified that he felt ‘taken advantage of’ upon discovering — only after the donation — that the funds did not stay in California but supported a specific religious mission in the Northeast,” Apkarian wrote.

Advertisement

The neighbor, Neal Roberts, is a lawyer who went on to represent him in the case. Roberts told NPR that the ad — which has aired on the radio since the turn of the millennium and on TV since 2014 — is ubiquitous in California. But he said Apkarian, the judge in the case, doesn’t watch TV and hadn’t heard the jingle until it was played at the four-day trial in November.

“She heard it the first time, and then she heard it the second time, and then the rule in the court was, ‘Do not play that jingle again,’” he said with a laugh. “So I thought that gave us some idea that we might have a chance.”

According to the judge’s order, Kars4Kids’ Chief Operating Officer Esti Landau confirmed at trial that the charity’s primary function is not helping economically disadvantaged children but “Jewish kids and families throughout their lives.” She said the charity has “no functional programs in California beyond a ‘backpack giveaway’ characterized as a branding exercise,” the judge wrote.

Landau confirmed on the stand that in 2022 — among other expenditures — Oorah transferred $16,500,000 to North Africa and the Middle East, and spent $16.5 million to purchase a building in Israel. She testified that while the Kars4Kids ad features kids ages 8 to 10, the programs Oorah funds “often target young adults (17-18) and matchmaking as well as Jewish families.” And she conceded that a donor would “have to go to the website” for that information.

Neither Kars4Kids nor Oorah responded to NPR’s requests for comment. But in a lengthy statement on its website, Kars4Kids said the judge mischaracterized its work and its testimony at trial.

Advertisement

“Kars4Kids’ ads have one purpose: to remind listeners that Kars4Kids offers a quick and easy way to dispose of an unused vehicle,” it wrote. “The ads are targeted to vehicle owners, not specifically to people considering donating to charity.”

The charity said “helping children often means engaging parents and families as well,” and stressed that its mission and religious affiliation are prominently stated on its website.

But the judge ultimately sided with Puterbaugh, writing that “a reasonable consumer is not required to be ‘computer savvy.’” She gave the charity 30 days to stop airing the ad in California unless it is updated to include an “audible disclosure of its religious affiliation and the geographic location of its primary beneficiaries and the age of the beneficiaries.”

The judge also ordered the charity to pay Puterbaugh $250, the value of the car he donated, though acknowledged that “money cannot ‘un-donate’ a car or restore the donor’s belief that they were helping a local, needy child.”

Kars4Kids says on its website that it plans to appeal the ruling, which it said is “deeply flawed, ignores and misrepresents the facts that were presented at trial, and misapplies the law.”

Advertisement

The charity also called the case as “a lawyer-driven attempt to siphon off charitable funds for their own gain.” Roberts dismissed that accusation, saying the only money his client stands to gain is the $250 for the car and lawyers’ fees. The bigger win, he said, is putting Kar4Kids — and potentially other charities nationwide — on notice about the consequences of false advertising.

“I think anyone who knows the facts would think that there was wool being pulled over people’s eyes,” Roberts said.

Where are they now?

A still from J.G. Wentworth's "Viking Opera" commercial.

J.G. Wentworth’s catchy “Viking Opera” commercial, featuring elaborately costumed, structured settlement-winning opera singers in need of cash, has been airing on and off since 2008.

J.G. Wentworth/Screenshot by NPR


hide caption

Advertisement

toggle caption

J.G. Wentworth/Screenshot by NPR

This story sent us down a head-bopping rabbit hole of nostalgic jingles, confirming they never truly leave the depths of your brain. And it turns out, some of them are — in a sense — new again.

Remember Zoo Pals, the early-aughts, dipping sauce-friendly paper plates shaped like animals (pig, bee, frog, duck) that, per their peppy theme song, “make eating fun!”? Hefty discontinued the onetime birthday-party staple in 2014, but brought the plates back in 2023 — and has also introduced disposable cups and plastic bags in the years since. No word yet on whether the commercial might make a comeback too.

Advertisement

Folgers, the coffee brand, has had people humming “The best part of wakin’ up / is Folgers in your cup” since the cozy jingle first aired in 1984. Its various iterations have managed to hold viewers’ attention in the years since (the 2009 sibling version inspired a slew of parodies and fan fiction). In 2021, public performance royalties for the song — which is actually titled “Real Snowy Morning” — were auctioned off online. The winning bidder, identified as “Josh C.,” paid $90,500.

And earlier this year, the brand released remixed versions of the ad, fusing the original jingle with several popular wake-up songs spanning genres and generations (including the Everly Brothers’ “Wake Up Little Susie” and “Bring Me to Life” by Evanescence).

Just this week, comedian John Oliver parodied JG Wentworth’s Viking opera (“877-cash-now”) jingle for an episode examining the structured settlement factoring industry. Oliver’s version, warning people to be skeptical of such companies, features stars like singer Megan Hilty, actor Victor Garber and Larry David, in a nod to the original earworm’s prominent cameo in the final season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Sometimes a jingle outlives the very thing it’s advertising. Consider: “I’m a Toys R Us Kid,” the toy store ditty belted enthusiastically by generations of trike-riding kiddos since the 1980s. The franchise shuttered due to bankruptcy in 2018, though it has since been partially revived through a partnership with Macy’s. The jingle has staying power — much to the delight of prolific thriller author James Patterson, who helped write the lyrics in his early career in advertising.

“That’s a big moment in my life,” Patterson said when asked about it in a 2024 appearance on Live with Kelly and Mark. “That’s a fun one, and kids obviously loved it. And we do remember it, which is great.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending