Connect with us

Minnesota

Timberwolves waxed by Pacers for third loss in four games

Published

on

Timberwolves waxed by Pacers for third loss in four games


That eight-game winning streak now feels like decades ago.

The team Minnesota has been over the past week looks nothing like a crew that could reel off so many wins in succession, or contend for anything of consequence in the playoffs, should it even get there.

No, the panic meter needle shouldn’t tilt that far to the right at this point, but Minnesota’s 119-103 loss to the Pacers in Indiana raised some major red flags.

The Timberwolves’ typically potent defense was rendered irrelevant by Indiana’s pace. The Pacers played with a pace and rhythm in the transition and halfcourt that didn’t allow Minnesota to sink its teeth in physically and bother Indiana in any way. The Pacers shot 48% from the field, with 30 assists on their 46 buckets.

Advertisement

Frankly, it was Indiana’s defensive physicality — something for which the Pacers are not traditionally known — that bothered Minnesota.

The Wolves committed 17 turnovers while shooting 27% from distance.

“It was kind of a funky, off performance all around,” Timberwolves coach Chris Finch told reporters.

Anthony Edwards was a gametime decision with a hand laceration. He played, but not well. The guard, who was piping hot from beyond the arc for the first half of the season, has not been since the calendar flipped to February. That trend continued Monday, as the guard went 1 for 11 from 3-point range.

Minnesota was outscored by 24 points in Edwards’ 34 minutes. The next worst plus-minus on the team belonged to Nickeil Alexander-Walker, who was a minus-13.

Advertisement

Edwards settled for threes on a night where he was successful inside the arc, going 6 for 8 on two-point attempts. That was the story of the game for Minnesota, who settled for a number of bad shot attempts against a defense that it traditionally could pick its attempt against.

“I thought we could’ve gone to the hoop a lot more than we did. They were pretty physical on the ball and we needed to with the ball and at the point of attack offensively, and we were never able to do that,” Finch said. “We didn’t have any composure. We were wild tonight offensively, whether that was wild with the ball or wild with our shot selection. Every time we had a chance to tighten up the game, or did tighten up the game, we’d get a stop, come down, take kind of a rushed three in transition.”

Minnesota fell to Indiana’s skeleton squad last week in overtime at Target Center, a night in which Obi Toppin had 34 points while shooting 7 for 10 from distance. Indiana was near full strength Monday, but it was still the same Toppin. The forward buried six triples in the win. But he had more help this time around. Indiana star guard Tyrese Haliburton had 24 points and 11 assists.

Whatever Indiana wanted to do, it did with relative ease.

“I think our offense is bothering our defense a little bit too much,” Finch said. “That’s something that’s reared it’s head at times for us. We’ve got to get back to guarding at a high level like we were doing.”

Advertisement

The Wolves have now lost three of four games. And while the fight for a top-six seed to avoid the play-in tournament rages on — Minnesota, currently in eighth in the West, is a full game back of Golden State for the No. 6 seed, and two back in the loss column — the Wolves are torpedoing their chances with their current run of poor play.

Bennedict Mathurin #00 of the Indiana Pacers and Naz Reid #11 of the Minnesota Timberwolves confront each other during an altercation in the first quarter at Gainbridge Fieldhouse on March 24, 2025 in Indianapolis, Indiana. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Dylan Buell/Getty Images)



Source link

Minnesota

Real Salt Lake settles for a draw as Minnesota United scores in stoppage time

Published

on

Real Salt Lake settles for a draw as Minnesota United scores in stoppage time


RSL’s Zach Booth notches his first MLS goal in the 22nd minute, but his team can’t hold its lead.

Real Salt Lake midfielder Zach Booth, shown during a game in February, scored his first Major League Soccer goal in RSL’s 1-1 draw with Minnesota United on Saturday. (AP Photo/Tyler Tate)



Source link

Continue Reading

Minnesota

Renowned Minnesota musician Charlie Parr to make Detroit Lakes debut on June 5 at Historic Holmes Theatre

Published

on

Renowned Minnesota musician Charlie Parr to make Detroit Lakes debut on June 5 at Historic Holmes Theatre


DETROIT LAKES

— Minnesota folk and blues musician Charlie Parr is bringing his gritty, honest sound to Detroit Lakes’ Historic Holmes Theatre on Friday, June 5, for a 7:30 p.m. benefit concert.

It will mark his first time playing a concert in the community, though he says, “I have definitely been through there before.”

“I’m excited to play,” he added in a Thursday, May 21 interview. “I’m definitely looking forward to it.”

Advertisement

Parr, a Duluth, Minnesota resident known for his soulful style and mastery of instruments like the 12-string Gretsch guitar and Mule resonator, says that he is primarily a solo artist, though he has tried his hand at a few musical collaborations over the span of his 25-year career (Parr’s debut album was released in 2001).

A self-taught musician who grew up in Austin and Hollandale, Minnesota, Parr has built his reputation as part bluesman poet, part folk troubadour — blending Delta blues, Depression-era roots music, and contemporary folk tradition. His upbringing, infused with his father’s stories of the working class, heavily influences his songwriting, which he says began not out of a desire for performance, but from profound personal loss.

Though he has occasionally taken the stage with other musicians, Charlie Parr says “about 90%” of his concert performances have been solo, as he prefers that form of audience interaction.

Contributed / Shelly Mosman

“I didn’t write songs until my dad passed away, and then I had, you know, the amount of grief that I had for my dad, it just came out in me trying to write down all the stories that he told me and all the things that I learned from him,” Parr said in a recent phone interview. “They came out looking like songs, so I started assembling them into songs.”

Advertisement

That deep, personal connection to his material is often why Parr maintains a preference for the solo format, performing as a solo acoustic act about 90% of the time. This mirrors the style of his mentors and key musical influences, including historical figures like Lead Belly and Charley Patton, as well as Minnesota guitar players such as John “Spider” Koerner and Dave Ray.

“I heard it first as solo music, solo guitar voice music, and that’s what I wanted to emulate,” he explained. “I’ve tried to play with people before, but then the atmosphere of the solo guitar player kind of disappears as you add more and more pieces to it, so I just keep going back to being by myself.”

For Parr, live performance is an essential part of the creative process, offering a nightly opportunity to connect with his audience and continually evolve his material.

“Songs are never really finished,” Parr said. “You get to recreate them every night in front of an audience. It feels like a fresh new palette, or canvas, every single night.”

He added that he enjoys the feeling of being inspired to “dive into something all over again” each time he performs, noting that it never stops being special or inspiring.

Advertisement

Parr, who has released 19 full-length albums over his career, beginning with his 2002 debut, “Criminals and Sinners,” and has toured across the United States, Canada, Australia, and Europe, considers himself privileged to make a living playing music. While he has never performed in Detroit Lakes before, he is looking forward to the engagement.

Charlie Parr 2.jpg
Minnesota blues and folk musician Charlie Parr says he is looking forward to playing his first concert at the Historic Holmes Theatre in Detroit Lakes on Friday, June 5, 2026 at 7:30 p.m.

Contributed / Shelly Mosman

“It looks like a beautiful theater,” he said, expressing gratitude for the opportunity to play there.

“I’ve been extremely lucky,” he said. “I haven’t had a job now in 25 years. I’ve just been traveling and playing music.”

Advertisement

Looking ahead, Parr revealed he has a new record that is finished and set for release in mid-October. He has been playing much of the new material during his recent shows.

“Part of the writing process for me is being able to perform stuff and see how it sits in a live setting,” he said. “I’m happy with it. I’m pretty excited about getting to play it now.”

Charlie Parr’s June 5 concert is the second in the “Live Limitless” series:

The first, held on June 6, 2025, featured The Jayhawks.

Both concerts were organized to benefit Diane Lundmark, a Minnetonka woman who was paralyzed from the chest down in a September 2024 accident and has strong family ties to the Detroit Lakes community.

Advertisement

Tickets for Parr’s concert are $50 per person, and may be purchased online at the event’s web page,

dlccc.org/event/charlie-parr,

by phone at 218-844-7469, or in person at the Holmes Box Office, 806 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes, which is open from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday through Friday, as well as for two hours prior to every show.

Vicki Gerdes
A reporter at Detroit Lakes Newspapers since relocating to the community in October 2000, Vicki was promoted to Community News Lead for the Detroit Lakes Tribune and Perham Focus on Jan. 1, 2022. She has covered pretty much every “beat” that a reporter can be assigned, from county board and city council to entertainment, crime and even sports. Born and raised in Madelia, Minnesota, she is a graduate of Hamline University, from which she earned a bachelor’s degree in English literature (writing concentration). You can reach her at 218-844-1454 or vgerdes@dlnewspapers.com.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minnesota

St. Paul business owner charged in $4M Minnesota Medicaid fraud scheme

Published

on

St. Paul business owner charged in M Minnesota Medicaid fraud scheme


A St. Paul business owner is facing federal charges after prosecutors said she stole millions from Medicaid by fraudulently billing for services, including some which were never provided.

Fraud charges against St. Paul business owner

Advertisement

What we know:

Sharmaine Meadows, who owns Cradle of Love in St. Paul, billed Medicaid for $4.3 million in fraudulent claims over more than five years, prosecutors say. They said some of the claims were for services that were never provided.

Meadows’ company website describes her as the founder of a multimillion-dollar home health care agency and features a blurb about how she is committed to “complying with all… federal laws.”

Advertisement

But prosecutors said she did not follow those laws.

Meadows appeared in federal court Friday afternoon to answer to the charges.

Advertisement

Federal crackdown on Medicaid fraud in Minnesota

Timeline:

The charges against Meadows came just a day after federal prosecutors announced that 15 people were being charged for stealing more than $90 million from Medicaid.

Advertisement

Among those charged is Muhammad Omar, who authorities said was on the run after jumping from a balcony as FBI agents closed in. He was arrested later Thursday.

Prosecutors said he and another man fraudulently billed Medicaid for more than $3 million and even claimed to help a dead person find housing.

“This is just the beginning,” said Colin McDonald, assistant attorney general, at Thursday’s news conference in Minneapolis.

Advertisement

“If you somehow get money that goes out the door that doesn’t belong to you, the FBI’s going to find you, put you in handcuffs and prosecutors are going to throw you in jail,” warned Andrew Ferguson, chairman of the Federal Trade Commission.

Federal officials said the crackdown is part of a larger effort to stop fraud and recover taxpayer money.

Advertisement

Meadows did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Fraud in MinnesotaMinnesotaPoliticsHealth Care



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending