California
California lawmakers advance bill creating genealogy office to determine reparations eligibility
California lawmakers have advanced a bill that would create a genealogy office to determine who is eligible for reparations handouts.
The bill, SB 1403, passed the Senate Judiciary Committee last week in a 8-1 vote, The California Globe reported. If it becomes law, it would establish the California American Freedmen Affairs Agency, which would carry out recommendations from the state’s reparations task force.
It would also create a Genealogy Office and an Office of Legal Affairs to “determine how an individual’s status as a descendant would be confirmed” and “require proof of an individual’s descendant status to be a qualifying criteria for benefits authorized by the state for descendants,” according to the bill.
CALIFORNIA GOVERNMENT INTRODUCES NATION’S FIRST SERIES OF REPARATIONS BILLS, AFTER YEARS OF DELIBERATING
Long-time Los Angeles resident, Walter Foster, 80, holds up a sign as the California Reparations Task Force meets to hear public input on reparations at the California Science Center in Los Angeles on Sept. 22, 2022. (Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)
The bill defines a descendant as “descendants of an African American chattel enslaved person in the United States” or “descendants of a free Black person living in the United States prior to the end of the 19th century.”
SB1403’s author, Sate Sen. Steven Bradford, said the bill was about recognizing California’s past “grave injustices” towards African Americans while creating a more “equitable future.”
“This agency will be the necessary foundation for the implementation and success of reparations,” he said ahead of the committee vote.
The “commonsense measure” was “long overdue for California and the nation,” he added.
The legislation is part of the reparations package state lawmakers introduced in February after years of deliberation on how to best provide restitution and support for Black communities across the state following historical mistreatment. The bills are intended to be just the first legislative actions in an effort that will likely span years.
CALIFORNIA LAWMAKERS VOTE FOR $17B DEFICIT REDUCTION PLAN
California State Democratic Sen. Steven Bradford authored the new bill creating a genealogy office to determine eligibility for reparations benefits. (Media News Group/Long Beach Press-Telegram)
California’s reparations plan drew backlash after its task force recommended compensating qualifying Black residents up to $1 million in cash payments from the state, along with other benefits such as eliminating child support debt and free tuition to public colleges.
The cash proposal was dropped from the package introduced this year.
Bradford previously dismissed concerns about the financial costs and political will to deliver some of the task force’s costly recommendations, telling NPR that these could “be easily provided.”
A majority of Californians, however, are opposed to cash payments for descendants of enslaved people, Fox News Digital previously reported.
A University of California, Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies poll found that 59% of voters oppose cash reparations, with 44% saying they were “strongly opposed.” Only 28% said they supported the idea.
CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Fox News’ Ashley Carnahan and Lawrence Richard contributed to this report.
California
Tom Steyer Wants to Save California From Billionaires. But Also Doesn’t Want Them to Leave
For those concerned about the influence of Big Tech and billionaires on California’s future, Tom Steyer looks like an obvious choice. A billionaire who amassed his fortune after founding Farallon Capital Management, one of the world’s biggest hedge funds, Steyer quit the firm in 2012 and turned to philanthropy, political advocacy, and climate activism, among other pursuits. Now, he’s jostling for position among a handful of Democratic and GOP candidates looking to advance from a June primary and then win the California governorship this November.
Ahead of the midterms, I’m talking to candidates relevant to WIRED’s interests: A few weeks ago I spoke with Alex Bores, a candidate for New York’s 12th Congressional District, whose history as a Palantir employee and stance on AI regulation has attracted the ire of Silicon Valley–backed super PACs.
Steyer felt like the next obvious choice for a conversation: He’s running to lead a state where issues like AI, immigration enforcement, and climate change, among other core WIRED subjects, are paramount. Steyer’s posture in the race is also unique. He’s been described as a “class traitor” for ostensibly eschewing his fellow elites, voiced support for California’s controversial Billionaire Tax Act—which has everyone from Sergey Brin to Peter Thiel either making moves to or threatening to flee the state—and campaigned hard on affordability, climate policy, and the promise that he’s immune to corporate influence. (As a billionaire spending more than $130 million on his own gubernatorial campaign, I certainly hope he would be.)
As I said, for some Democratic voters, Tom Steyer seems to check a lot of boxes. Then he starts talking.
Steyer is adept, as politicians usually are, at toeing the line. But the line, in politics generally and California specifically, seems to be the problem: Steyer, or whomever is elected to the governorship this November, will be walking an exceedingly thin one. Taxing California’s billionaires without alienating them. Getting a grip on the state’s AI development without throttling it (or, again, alienating the billionaires building it).
I could feel Steyer’s reluctance to come down too firmly or dig in too deeply on issues, maybe to avoid alienating any potential voting block. Which made me wonder: Can Tom Steyer be a pro-billionaire governor who also taxes the hell out of them? Can he rave about the “mind-blowingly amazing” advances in AI while bringing the industry to heel? Can he learn the name of WIRED’s global editorial director (me) before she interviews him?
The third question is answered in the interview. The former two will be formidable challenges for anyone elected to California’s governorship—and I didn’t leave our conversation convinced that Steyer’s posture is a particularly coherent one. The minimum requirement for a California governor might be the ability to use Google.
This interview has been edited for length and clarity.
KATIE DRUMMOND: Welcome, Tom, thank you for joining us on The Big Interview.
TOM STEYER: Kate [sic], thank you for having me.
So, you’re a billionaire. You made your money in the hedge fund world. But now, in the last decade-plus, you’ve become a climate activist. Tell us about that transformation.
When I was growing up, when I got free time, either from school or work, I tried to go to wild places and get outdoor jobs. I worked as a ranch hand, I worked picking fruit. Before I went to business school, I spent the summer in Alaska, and I went to Alaska because I wanted to see what North America looked like before Europeans showed up.
I wanted to see the animals, I wanted to see the birds, I wanted to see the fish, I wanted to look at Denali. I wanted to see what it looked like, vast untracked North America, rich and fertile.
California
Kars4Kids ordered to pull ads in California over claims donors were misled
-
Now Playing
Kars4Kids ordered to pull ads in California over claims donors were misled
01:35
-
UP NEXT
Deadly shooting at San Diego Islamic center
02:45
-
New video shows shocking moments at air show disaster
01:18
-
American tests positive for Ebola as outbreak spreads in Africa
02:02
-
Judge rules on whether key evidence can be used in Luigi Mangione’s state trial
00:55
-
Sixth grader scores inspiring basket in front of his classmates
01:12
-
Man on death row fights conviction after testimony from hypnotized witness
03:41
-
Good News: Wrong number leads to unlikely friendship
01:51
-
Multiple commencement speakers booed for AI comments during graduation speeches
01:35
-
Midair jet collision forces lockdown at Idaho Air Force base show
01:29
-
Millions on alert for severe weather with dangerous conditions expected
02:02
-
WHO declares global health emergency over new Ebola outbreak
01:36
-
Thousands attend prayer rally in Washington
00:43
-
Trump targets political rivals ahead of midterms
02:01
-
Mass casualty explosion at Maine lumber mill
01:33
-
Reflecting on high stakes week in Beijing
01:39
-
Chinese young adults talk about views on America
03:20
-
Trump’s high-stakes summit in China
02:28
-
U.S. seeks to indict Cuba’s Raul Castro
01:52
-
Iran-linked suspect accused of terror plots on Jewish sites in U.S.
01:46
Nightly News
-
Now Playing
Kars4Kids ordered to pull ads in California over claims donors were misled
01:35
-
UP NEXT
Deadly shooting at San Diego Islamic center
02:45
-
New video shows shocking moments at air show disaster
01:18
-
American tests positive for Ebola as outbreak spreads in Africa
02:02
-
Judge rules on whether key evidence can be used in Luigi Mangione’s state trial
00:55
-
Sixth grader scores inspiring basket in front of his classmates
01:12
Nightly News
Nightly News
Play All
California
$6 gas and refinery fears collide with California’s climate ambitions
By Alejandro Lazo, CalMatters
This story was originally published by CalMatters. Sign up for their newsletters.
California is considering handing oil refineries and other major polluters billions of dollars in free emission allowances just as the state says carbon reductions need to come faster than ever.
In the last six months, two refineries have closed and gas prices have topped an average of $6 a gallon as the Iran-Israel war sent oil markets into turmoil. The oil and gas sector spent $10.3 million lobbying Sacramento in the first three months of the year, according to lobbying filings, with the Western States Petroleum Association and Chevron accounting for the bulk of it.
The result is a new proposal before the California Air Resources Board that would provide as much as $4 billion in new free emission permits to companies with half slated for the fossil fuel industry in exchange for commitments to invest in clean energy.
Environmentalists warn the proposal is a giveaway to Big Oil that would weaken California’s “cap-and-invest” program just as the state is relying on it to cut emissions and fund climate, housing and other programs. Anthony Martinez, a spokesman for Gov. Gavin Newsom, said the changes are necessary to keep the state’s carbon market “durable” and “affordable” amid mounting refinery closures.
The fight over California’s carbon market has exposed the political tensions at the heart of Newsom’s energy transition agenda. California is trying to preserve its climate ambitions while keeping gasoline affordable for drivers already facing the highest prices in the country. Critics say the air board’s proposal accomplishes neither goal.
“We are really concerned that this would significantly kneecap the program,” said Chloe Ames, a policy adviser with NextGen Policy.
Weakening the backstop
Through California’s 13-year-old carbon market, major polluting companies must buy permits for every ton of greenhouse gases they emit, with the state capping total emissions year by year. Each permit is worth real money and companies can sell the ones they don’t use. The program is considered California’s climate backstop — the only state policy that sets a firm limit on greenhouse gas emissions.
At the heart of the dispute with environmentalists is a proposed subsidy program carved out of that carbon market. The air board, if it approves the proposal on May 28, would create a new pool of free pollution permits for refineries, cement plants and other big companies that pledge to invest in clean energy and efficiency projects.
The pool would be capped at 118.3 million permits — the same number the air board has said must come off the market for California to hit its 2030 climate target. Environmentalists say the proposal risks wiping out those reductions.
Berkeley energy economist Meredith Fowlie, who chairs an independent committee that oversees the carbon market, wrote in a recent analysis that the design would give qualifying refineries more free permits than they need to cover their emissions.
“One could use the word generous,” Fowlie said.
Rajinder Sahota, the air board official overseeing the program, said the proposal would ensure emissions reductions. The new permits, she said, would only go to companies undertaking clean energy and efficiency projects and would be limited, temporary and rescinded if companies misuse them. The plan is meant to help keep refineries operating in California at a time of uncertainty, she added.
“We want to make sure that there’s reliable, affordable fuel for California consumers while the demand persists,” Sahota said.
But environmentalists say the air board has built in almost no accountability for how companies invest in those projects. Katelyn Roedner Sutter, state director for the Environmental Defense Fund, said the proposal “is based on proposed investment, not any guaranteed reduction.”
“That’s a red flag,” she said.
A climate money crunch
Quarterly auction revenue for state programs could drop from roughly $4 billion a year to about $2 billion under the proposal, according to the Legislative Analyst’s Office.
Sen. John Laird, the state Senate budget chair and a co-author of California’s original 2006 climate law, warned at a May 6 hearing that the proposal “flies against many things we negotiated just last fall” with the governor and could put the carbon market deal “back on the table.”
Not all lawmakers are critical. Assemblymembers Jacqui Irwin and Cottie Petrie-Norris, who respectively chair climate and energy committees, said the proposal “reflects the Legislature’s focus on affordability,” and urged the board to proceed “without delay.”
They pointed to an increase in the Climate Credit, the twice-yearly rebate that the carbon market funds on Californians’ utility bills; a UC Santa Barbara analysis, however, found the new subsidy could shrink the credit by as much as $1.7 billion under the proposal.
A separate, bipartisan group including Assemblymember David Alvarez, a Democrat, and Senator Suzette Valladares, a Republican, argues the purpose of the carbon market is to cut emissions, not raise money for programs.
Newsom struck an eleventh-hour deal with lawmakers last year that extended the state’s carbon market through 2045 and set the order of which state programs get auction money first.
Under that plan, California’s high-speed rail project receives $1 billion a year before many other programs. Lawmakers also carved out a $1 billion annual pool for priorities they control themselves, but Newsom in January proposed committing that money to wildfire spending and other programs.
Last in line are programs lawmakers have spent years building into California’s climate agenda: affordable housing and transit-oriented development meant to reduce driving and climate pollution, rail and bus service, wildfire resilience, clean drinking water in poor communities and neighborhood pollution monitoring.
Newsom unveiled a revised state budget on May 14 that did not reflect the potential drop in carbon market revenue. Laird, in an interview, said the administration told him the revenue drop wouldn’t show up in the coming fiscal year.
Laird said he planned to “ground truth” that assessment in the weeks ahead. The hit “would still be a big hit the year after this budget year,” he added.
Big Oil’s biggest target
California’s carbon market became a central focus of the oil industry’s lobbying efforts after the air board released a January proposal sharply reducing free pollution permits for industry.
Seven of the 10 highest-spending oil and gas lobbying groups in California pushed state officials on the proposal, state filings show. The petroleum association and Chevron mounted some of the industry’s most aggressive lobbying, pressing lawmakers, the governor’s office, the air board and the California Energy Commission on the plan.
The April plan raised free permits for most industries through 2030 above the January version, but deferred decisions on permits after 2030 to a future rulemaking.
Jim Stanley, a spokesman for the petroleum association, said the group has been pressing lawmakers, regulators and the governor’s office about “the potential consequences of a poorly structured cap-and-invest program.”
Chevron spokesman Ross Allen declined to comment beyond letters Chevron filed with the air board. Chevron initially warned the proposal threatened refinery survival in California. After last month’s revisions, the company is continuing to push for additional protections.
Zach Leary, a lobbyist for the petroleum association, said California needs to go further than even its latest proposal. He wants California to lock in a higher level of free permits permanently.
“The state is acknowledging that affordability and ambition are not getting along very well right now,” Leary said.
Eddie Ahn, executive director of Brightline Defense, oversees community air sensors in San Francisco’s Tenderloin, Mission and South of Market neighborhoods funded through the state’s community air protection program. That program is among those that could lose state money if carbon market auctions decline under the proposal.
“If the funding is cut off, then convening groups of people on a monthly basis — that goes away,” Ahn said. “It means frontline communities get disconnected from environmental policy.”
This article was originally published on CalMatters and was republished under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives license.
-
World11 minutes agoVideo. Merkel warns Europe can no longer rely on old security certainties
-
News41 minutes agoMinnesota becomes first state to ban prediction markets
-
New York2 hours agoVideo: Judge Grants Luigi Mangione’s Request to Supress Some Evidence
-
Los Angeles, Ca2 hours agoCardi B in the lead as 2026 BET Awards nominations announced
-
Detroit, MI3 hours agoSouthfield police chase ends in fiery crash in Detroit
-
San Francisco, CA3 hours agoSan Francisco ninth graders will now be measured by a controversial ‘Wheel of Power’ — so how would the city’s leaders fare? We put them to the test. – The Voice of San Francisco
-
Dallas, TX3 hours ago
Mailbag: Could Valdes-Scantling battle for WR3?
-
Miami, FL3 hours agoMen arrested for defacing Miami Beach pride bench with antisemitic graffiti, cops say