Oklahoma
AG opinion prompts Tim Gatz resignation as transportation secretary, turnpike authority boss
New Turner Turnpike ramp could bring travelers to Davenport community
Plans for a new on and off ramp along the Turner Turnpike has excited Davenport newspaper owner Don Sporleder, who’s hopeful for an economic boom.
Addison Kliewer, Oklahoman
Tim Gatz on Wednesday resigned as Transportation secretary and director of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority in response to an opinion issued by Attorney General Gentner Drummond that no one person serve in the two positions in addition to leading the Oklahoma Department of Transportation.
Gatz held all three titles before Wednesday.
The opinion was one of two issued by Drummond that went against the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority. A second opinion upheld the constitutionality of a 2013 law that diluted the governor’s exclusive appointment powers to the turnpike authority’s board of commissioners.
Gatz was named executive director of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority in 2016 and then was appointed secretary of transportation and director of the Oklahoma Department of Transportation in 2019.
Gatz’s resignation on Wednesday was effective immediately. Gov. Kevin Stitt quickly reappointed Gatz to his post at the Transportation Department. Stitt’s spokeswoman said the reappointment won’t require Senate confirmation because it was previously confirmed in 2019. The reappointment to the Transportation Department position was necessary because Gatz’s most recent appointment was as secretary of transportation, essentially voiding his appointments to the OTA and ODOT.
More: Oklahoma needs $25 billion to fix crumbling infrastructure. But the focus is on tax cuts
Stitt disagreed with both the challenge to the leadership of state transportation agencies and the bill that split his appointment power to the turnpike board. The bill gave appointment powers to the House speaker and Senate president pro tempore.
Gatz did not comment on the opinions on Wednesday. Drummond said in a news release his opinion operates as an effective resignation of Gatz’s role as the executive director of OTA.
Challenges faced at the OTA amid the push for ACCESS Oklahoma
Stitt and Gatz saw challenges to leadership at the OTA as they pushed for ACCESS Oklahoma, a five-year, $15 billion turnpike expansion plan that includes construction of new toll roads in and around Norman that will require acquisition of dozens if not hundreds of homes.
“Tim Gatz has dedicated his career to serving the state of Oklahoma for 34 years,” Stitt said Wednesday. “He is highly sought after by businesses and governments all over the country but has chosen to stay here and serve his state. I am disappointed that he is the victim of pointless politics.”
Before House Bill 2263, the governor made all six appointments to the turnpike authority. The legislation reduced that to two appointments, with the speaker of the House and Senate president pro tempore appointing two members apiece.
Turnpike commissioners last month unanimously voted to challenge the law, which also requires that they file annual financial reports disclosing potential conflicts of interest.
Commission Chair John Jones said the law, left unchallenged, could put at risk any actions taken including ACCESS Oklahoma implementation.
Drummond’s opinion explains that HB 2263 does not violate the state Constitution’s separation of powers provision for three key reasons:
- Legislative acts are strongly presumed to be constitutional “unless it is clearly, palpably and plainly inconsistent with fundamental law”.
- The Legislature can provide for the appointment of executive offices by a person or entity other than the Governor.
- The bill in question is consistent with the balancing factor test used to determine the constitutionality of legislative appointments to state boards and commissions.
More: ACCESS Oklahoma construction starts next week with Turner Turnpike widening
In his opinion over Gatz holding three positions, Drummond wrote a person cannot hold multiple positions without a legislative exemption.
“As of the time of writing, the Legislature has enumerated thirty exceptions to this prohibition,” Drummond wrote in his opinion “However, none of these exceptions apply to the Secretary of Transportation, Executive Director of the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, or Executive Director of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority.”
Oklahoma
Broken Arrow Defensive Back Bryson Brown Commits to Oklahoma State
After having one pledge in their 2027 recruiting class for about a month and a half, the Cowboys picked up two more within the past week.
Broken Arrow defensive back Bryson “BB” Brown announced his commitment to Oklahoma State on Saturday. He joins Pryor receiver Cooper Hooker as in-state pledges to pick the Pokes this week, and both join Iowa Colony (TX) quarterback Carson White as the Cowboys’ three commitments.
Listed at 6-feet, 186 pounds, Brown is the No. 731 player in the Rivals Industry ranking, which tabs him as the No. 80 safety in the 2027 class and the No. 13 player from the state of Oklahoma. He picked OSU over offers from Arkansas, Kansas, Florida State, Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State and others.
MaxPreps had stats for eight of Brown’s games during his junior season, where he had 31 tackles and a tackle for loss playing at a more traditional safety spot and some work at nickel.
Brown will also bring track speed with him to Stillwater. Athletic.net credited Brown with a 10.90 100 meters at his regional track meet earlier this month, and he has a 10.8 time on his X profile.
The OSU staff prioritized Brown early. Eric Morris was posing for a photo with Brown at his school on Jan. 21, not too long after Morris got the job. Brown announced in early March will take an official visit to Stillwater from June 4 to June 6. Two days after he made that announcement, he was posing with OSU defensive backs coaches Jordan Malone and Julian Wilson for a photo. Then earlier this week Malone, Wilson and defensive coordinator Skyler Cassity visited Brown at his home.
So, the Cowboys’ class sits at three, but will only continue to grow over the coming months as official visits get rolling. The Cowboys’ staff seems to be after another Broken Arrow DB in Noah Gillespie, who this week also shared a photo of Cassity, Wilson and Malone visiting him. On top of that, four-star athlete Hunter Haug included OSU in his Top 5 earlier this week.
Oklahoma
NBA: San Antonio Spurs 108-123 Oklahoma City Thunder –
In the series opener Wembanyama became the youngest player in NBA history to score 40 points and make 20 rebounds in a play-off game as the Spurs won 122-115.
He finished with 21 points and 17 rebounds in game two, which the Spurs lost 122-113.
“My shooting splits aren’t terrible,” said 22-year-old Wembanyama.
“I need to facilitate better, rebound the ball better, push their defence a little bit further and see how much they need to help with my team-mates and feed them.”
The Thunder scored 76 points off the bench at Frost Bank Center in game three, the most in a conference finals game since the 16-team play-off format was introduced in 1984.
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, the NBA’s Most Valuable Player for two seasons in a row, scored 26 points and made 12 assists for the Thunder, while Jared McCain scored 24.
Game four takes place at the same venue on Sunday (01:00 BST, Monday).
The winners of the Western Conference finals will meet the New York Knicks or the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals, starting on 4 June.
The Knicks lead 2-0 in the Eastern Conference finals before game three at Rocket Arena in Cleveland on Saturday (01:00 BST, Sunday).
Oklahoma
What happened at the saltwater disposal well blowout near I-40 and Calumet in Oklahoma?
The Oklahoma Corporation Commission said it is monitoring a saltwater disposal well blowout near Interstate-40 and Calumet after the incident was reported Friday morning.
A spokesperson for the commission said personnel were sent to the site shortly after the incident was reported on Friday.
The commission said it will continue to monitor the site, evaluate conditions, and determine whether additional action is necessary.
The commission said the operator hired a third-party company to assist with containment and cleanup efforts.
This is a developing story.
-
New York22 minutes agoBrooklyn Man Wedged in Upstate New York Cave Is Rescued After 6 Hours
-
Los Angeles, Ca28 minutes agoGrandmother hospitalized after hit-and-run slams into her in San Fernando
-
Detroit, MI52 minutes ago3 injured in separate weekend shootings in Detroit, police say
-
San Francisco, CA1 hour agoThe Store Cats of San Francisco
-
Dallas, TX1 hour agoFC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Lineup notes 📝
-
Miami, FL1 hour agoDeputies investigating shooting in NW Miami-Dade that left a man in critical condition – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale
-
Boston, MA1 hour agoMan killed after MBTA commuter rail train struck his vehicle at Braintree crossing – The Boston Globe
-
Denver, CO1 hour agoDenver weather: Warmer weather for Memorial Day with an isolated storm