Massachusetts
Non-profit,

MARLBORO – Let’s face it: saving the planet is a daunting task. It may seem like there is simply too much to do for one person to make a difference.
But that’s not true.
Keep Massachusetts Beautiful
This time of year, before the forests reach their “green up” and after the long winter, litter seems to be everywhere. If you walk or drive in just about any town in New England, and you will see trash strewn along the side of the roads, in our forests, and even on our beaches.
Litter and trash cleanup is a simple, but crucial task that everyone can get involved in.
WBZ’s Alyssa Andrews and Lexie O’Connor recently teamed up with the folks at “Keep Massachusetts Beautiful” at one of their volunteer trash pickups in Marlboro. Dozens of volunteers from a nearby BioTech company joined “Keep Massachusetts Beautiful” founder Neil Rhine and his crew, fanning out throughout the walking trails of Marlboro with trash bags in hand.
After two hours of work on a gorgeous, sunny day, the crew had picked up nearly 20 pounds of trash.
150 tons of trash
Neil tells WBZ that they collected 150 tons of trash around eastern Massachusetts last year alone.
But how do they do it?
Neil and his crew have launched dozens of local chapters in more than 40 cities and towns in the Boston area. Each satellite group works with local government and business leaders to achieve significant and lasting improvements in their towns. Their four main areas of focus are:
- Litter prevention and cleanup
- Waste reduction and recycling
- Beautification and community greening
- Environmental dducation
Get involved in your community
Want to get involved? Visit their website for more information on events scheduled in your area or to start your own chapter.

Massachusetts
Massachusetts reps slam Trump admin for ‘clawback’ of $106M in K-12 funding

Massachusetts’ congressional delegation said the Trump administration’s decision to “clawback” $106 million in COVID-19-era funding for K-12 schools is “harmful and incredibly frustrating to students, families, educators, and school district leaders.”
In a letter sent Thursday to the U.S. Department of Education Secretary Linda McMahon, the state’s entire Congressional delegation and Gov. Maura Healey said they were “alarmed at this abrupt termination” of congressionally authorized and appropriated funding for education in the state.
Springfield is set to lose out on the most cash — more than $47 million — while Boston is losing $3.4 million, according to the Healey administration. The elected officials said the “about-face” on the continued availability of the money was an “insult.”
“Massachusetts gives students the best education in the country. We urge you to reverse course and allow leaders in the Commonwealth to deliver for students and communities without continued chaos and disruption,” the group said in the letter.
The Healey administration said it was notified last week that it was losing access to money set to flow to Massachusetts through a pandemic-era fund that the governor claimed the state had until March 2026 to utilize.
Healey previously said the money was going to be used to stand up mental health care and math tutoring for students, as well as increasing school security and installing systems to clean the air in school buildings.
In a statement earlier this week, a spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Education said the COVID-19 pandemic is over and states and school districts “can no longer claim they are spending their emergency pandemic funds on ‘COVID relief’ when there are numerous documented examples of misuse.”
“The Biden administration established an irresponsible precedent by extending the deadline for spending the COVID money far beyond the intended purpose of the funds, and it is past time for the money to be returned to the people’s bank account,” the spokesperson said.
The spokesperson said the agency would consider extensions on an individual, project-specific basis “where it can be demonstrated that funds are being used to directly mitigate the effects of COVID-19 on student learning.”
Healey and the Congressional delegation said the reversal on the cash affects 41 states and over $2 billion in funding.
The state’s congressional delegation said school districts and individual schools built their budgets based on the understanding they would have the money from the federal government.
“For example, the New Bedford school district allocated funds for a school-based health center. Some school districts were anticipating using the funding for mental health supports, security, air quality improvement, and math tutoring,” the lawmakers said in the letter.
The lawmakers said the withdrawal of the money “will force schools back to the drawing board, requiring them to fight these cuts, rework their budgets, and scale back or eliminate projects intended to help students, educators, and communities.”
Healey previously said Trump “suddenly ripped away more than $100 million in funding that is supposed to go right to Massachusetts students and schools.”
“At a time when students are still struggling to recover from the pandemic, we need to be doing everything we can to address learning loss and the youth mental health crisis,” she said in a statement earlier this week.
Originally Published:
Massachusetts
Sign at Massachusetts temple vandalized, swastika painted on sidewalk

Franklin police are investigating two incidents of vandalism as potential hate crimes. On Wednesday, police received a report of a vandalized sign at the Temple Etz Chaim on Washington Street.
Someone splashed red paint on the “We Stand with Israel” sign at the temple.
Red paint was also sprayed on a light and solar panel illuminating the temple’s sign and part of the panel was ripped from its mounting bracket.
Vandalism at temple
For a place that shares the word of faith and love, it was difficult to talk about fear and concern after the act of vandalism at the only Jewish house of worship in town.
“Balancing feelings of being disheartened and sad with real visceral anger that something like happened,” said Mike Rubin, president of Temple Etz Chaim. “It’s left some people feeling very vulnerable, very scared but also the community feeling violated.”
Investigators think the vandalism happened between 8:30 p.m. Tuesday and 8 a.m. Wednesday.
Then around the same time frame not too far away, there was another concerning discovery.
Swastika painted on sidewalk
Oil is now covering a spot on the ground where police say someone spray painted a swastika on the sidewalk in front of a business on East Central Street.
Investigators say right now it’s too soon to say if the two vandalisms are connected but that possibility is not being ruled out.
“It’s hard to believe that something like that would be coincidental,” Rubin said.
As police try to solve the potential hate crimes, the community won’t waver on their message of love.
“Yielding to vandalism and yielding to the fact that somebody out there wants to cause you harm it’s not going to make us any closer to a better society,” said Rubin. “I’m hoping this gives us a more proactive way to really unite together rather than only coming together when times are tough.”
Franklin police are asking anyone with information regarding these incidents or may have seen something during these times to contact them.
Massachusetts
Cluster of Massachusetts nurses reportedly diagnosed with brain tumors

A cluster of nurses at Newton-Wellesley Hospital have reportedly been diagnosed with brain tumors, according to hospital officials who are assuring staff and patients that there’s “no environmental risk” at the facility.
But the Massachusetts Nurses Association says the hospital’s environmental testing was “not comprehensive,” as the union continues to investigate the situation.
The nurses diagnosed with brain tumors have worked in the maternal care labor/delivery unit on the hospital’s fifth floor.
As of earlier this week, 11 staff who worked at some point and for varying durations on the fifth floor had been interviewed by the Mass General Brigham Occupational Health Service.
Five cases were determined to be brain tumors of three different types — all of which were benign (non-cancerous). The only type of benign tumor that had more than one case was meningioma.
Six cases were determined to not be brain tumors, but rather other health concerns.
“Based on the results of the extensive and deliberate investigation… we want to reassure our dedicated team members and all of our patients that there is not an environmental risk at Newton-Wellesley Hospital,” Mass General Brigham wrote in its “Fifth Floor Work Environment FAQs” after a staff town hall about the situation.
“We take this very seriously; our top priority is providing high-quality care in a safe and healthy environment for our staff and patients,” Mass General Brigham added.
This situation at Newton-Wellesley Hospital was first reported by WBZ.
After hospital officials learned of the reported brain tumors, they conducted an investigation with the Department of Occupational Health and Safety, Newton-Wellesley Safety Officer, radiation and pharmaceutical safety offices, and external environmental consultants.
“Every staff member who came forward was given the opportunity to be interviewed by the Occupational Health and Safety team to evaluate each diagnosis in the context of their individual medical history and risk factors,” hospital officials said in a statement. “To evaluate for any possible environmental exposures in that area of the hospital, comprehensive environmental assessments following CDC guidelines began in December.
“The investigation found no environmental risks which could be linked to the development of a brain tumor,” the officials said, later adding, “Based on these results, we can confidently reassure our dedicated team members at Mass General Brigham/Newton-Wellesley Hospital and all our patients that there is no environmental risk at our facility. As always, the health and wellbeing of our staff, clinicians, and patients is our absolute top priority.”
Staff members have raised several concerns about this cluster of cases. The hospital addressed questions about whether brain tumor cases can be related to: wearing masks during the pandemic, the drinking water, use of x-rays, or the pharmacy on the floor below.
“There is no scientific evidence linking long-term mask use (including processing/re-wearing of masks) to the development of brain tumors,” reads the Fifth Floor Work Environment FAQs.
Water serving the hospital is tested regularly by the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority.
“Out of an abundance of caution, additional water samples from the tap and ice machines have been sent for additional testing by Triumvirate Environmental, an independent environmental testing firm,” reads the FAQs. “Those results should be available in the coming week.”
Hospital officials said they use appropriate x-ray safety techniques throughout the hospital.
“To make sure that there was not another, unknown, source of ionizing radiation on the Fifth Floor, radiation levels were surveyed across the Fifth Floor using Geiger counters,” the hospital wrote. “This did not find any abnormal/increased levels of ionizing radiation.”
The pharmacy located on the fourth floor processes chemotherapy medications.
“These are handled within an independently ventilated, closed system and with appropriate precautions and controls that have been validated as part of this investigation,” the hospital wrote. “The hoods used in the Fourth Floor pharmacy have been installed and tested to ensure that they are functioning properly and safely ventilating away from the building. This system was re-tested by Triumvirate Environmental, an independent environmental firm, as part of the investigation, and was found to be operating properly.”
The Massachusetts Nurses Association’s division of health and safety, consisting of occupational health nurses, is investigating the situation.
“We do not have a specific number (of nurses) we are releasing now because we are still verifying diagnoses via medical records. We do not have a specific cause as we are still investigating,” a spokesperson for the union said in a statement.
“We brought this to the hospital in December to urge an investigation by MGB,” the union spokesperson added. “We have been in communication with NWH nurses about this regularly and specifically with nurses who are self-reporting.”
The union spokesperson said the investigation is focused on the maternity unit, though they have reports from other areas as well.
“We are engaging with the hospital about their inquiry,” the union spokesperson said. “They only spoke to a small number of nurses and their environmental testing was not comprehensive. The hospital cannot make this issue go away by attempting to provide a predetermined conclusion.”
Originally Published:
-
News1 week ago
Trump Is Trying to Gain More Power Over Elections. Is His Effort Legal?
-
World1 week ago
No, Norway and Sweden haven't banned digital transactions
-
News1 week ago
Companies Pull Back From Pride Events as Trump Targets D.E.I.
-
News1 week ago
Signal Leak Puts Mike Waltz, Trump’s National Security Adviser, in Hot Seat
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago
‘The Penguin Lessons’ Review: Steve Coogan Makes a Feathered Friend in Sweet British Buddy Dramedy
-
Business1 week ago
Who Is Jeffrey Goldberg, the Editor Mistakenly Added to the Signal Chat?
-
News1 week ago
Wednesday briefing: Just how bad was the White House accidentally leaking military plans over Signal?
-
Technology1 week ago
Porsche’s next Taycan gets an infotainment upgrade — but no new CarPlay