World
Cubs Win Again in Wrigley View Rooftop Lawsuit
A federal judge this week denied a motion to send the Chicago Cubs’ lawsuit against Wrigley View Rooftop—a company that provides 200 guests with a view of neighboring Wrigley Field in exchange for fees—to arbitration. U.S. District Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman rejected Wrigley View Rooftop’s request that she reconsider her denial in January of the company’s motion to dismiss.
Last year the Cubs sued Wrigley View Rooftop and company owner Aidan Dunican, claiming that Wrigley View Rooftop engages in illegal conduct by selling seats to watch Cubs games, concerts and other events from an adjacent building. The lawsuit includes claims for misappropriation, unjust enrichment, unfair competition and unauthorized use of Cubs’ trademarks.
Wrigley View Rooftop denies wrongdoing and insists the dispute must be resolved out-of-court through arbitration. The problem with that argument, Coleman explained, is that the relevant arbitration clause expired in 2023.
That clause stems from the Cubs and rooftop businesses near Wrigley Field, including Wrigley View Rooftop, settling previous litigation back in 2004. The settlement agreements, which contemplated rooftop businesses sharing revenue with the Cubs and contained arbitration clauses, were set to expire in 2023. Those businesses, except for Wrigley View Rooftop, accepted the Cubs’ offers to extend the settlements beyond 2023.
Last year–after the expiration of the settlement agreement–Wrigley View Rooftop defied the Cubs by selling tickets to games and using Cubs’ trademarks. The company is continuing to sell tickets in the 2025 MLB season and uses the tagline, “the last Wrigley rooftop to be independently owned and operated!”
Wrigley View Rooftop maintains the arbitration language should survive expiration of the settlement agreement. As Wrigley View Rooftop tells it, the dispute is mainly about use of trademarks without permission and whether the Cubs have a right to demand royalties from Wrigley View Rooftop. The company says this dispute concerns a legal right that “accrued or vested” under the settlement agreement, which contemplated royalties in exchange for trademark usage. The Cubs disagree; the team says a plain reading of the settlement agreement makes clear the arbitration language ended when the agreement expired. The idea of contractual rights and restrictions continuing beyond a contract’s expiration doesn’t add up, the team insists.
Coleman agreed with the Cubs, saying she found Wrigley View Rooftop’s argument “unfounded.” After the settlement agreement expired, the judge explained, the Cubs were “not entitled to collect royalties,” and Wrigley View Rooftop was not “entitled to use” Cubs’ trademarks without permission. Along those lines, Coleman noted, the Cubs “do not allege that the expired” settlement provided a right to collect royalties from Wrigley View Rooftop. Instead, the team argues Wrigley View Rooftop “improperly used the trademarks after the expiration of the Settlement Agreement without providing any royalties” to the Cubs.
According to court filings, pretrial discovery of relevant facts must be completed by the parties by June 12. If the case eventually goes to a jury trial, it could resolve a longstanding property law debate over whether rooftop businesses can lawfully sell seats to watch a live performance taking place in an adjacent and famed building, Wrigley Field, built in 1914.
World
A powerful bomb has exploded near railway track in southwest Pakistan, killing at least 19 people
QUETTA, Pakistan (AP) — A suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle near a railway track as a passenger train passed through the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta on Sunday, killing at least 19 people and wounding over 70 others, officials said.
The force of the explosion caused two of the train cars to overturn and catch fire, sending thick black smoke into the air, according to footage shared online.
The attack happened in an area where security forces are usually stationed, badly damaging several nearby buildings and smashing more than a dozen vehicles parked along the road, according to witnesses and images circulating on social media.
Doctors at local hospitals said they had received the wounded, with 20 in critical condition. Three security officials told The Associated Press the bodies were transported to hospitals following the attack. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to be able to speak to the media.
The outlawed Baloch Liberation Army, or BLA, which demands independence from Pakistan’s central government, has claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement sent to reporters. The militant group said it targeted a train carrying security personnel.
Quetta is the capital of insurgency-hit Balochistan province. The oil- and mineral-rich region has long been the scene of a low-level insurgency. The insurgents have frequently targeted security forces, government installations and civilians in the province and elsewhere in the country.
“We strongly condemn the targeting of innocent civilians and are deeply saddened by the loss of precious human lives. Terrorist elements deserve no leniency,” said Shahid Rind, Balochistan provincial government spokesman.
He said following the explosion, a medical emergency was declared at hospitals in Quetta, and an investigation has been launched.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif strongly condemned the attack, calling it a “cowardly act of terrorism” in a post on X and offering condolences to the families of the victims.
Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti strongly condemned the attack in Quetta, saying the militants targeted “innocent civilians, including women and children,” vowing to “hunt (them down)” in a post on X.
Bugti and the federal government in Islamabad often use the phrase “Fitna al-Hindustan” to refer to the BLA, which they allege is backed by India. New Delhi denies the allegation.
Pakistan and India have long had strained relations and have fought two of their three wars over Kashmir, which is claimed by both in its entirety.
Although Pakistani authorities say they have quelled the insurgency, violence in Baluchistan has persisted.
At least 26 people, including soldiers, were killed in 2024 when a suicide bomber attacked a train station in Balochistan.
World
US embassy in Ukraine warns of ‘potentially significant air attack’ that could happen in next 24 hours
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv issued a security alert Saturday warning that a “potentially significant air attack” could hit the city in the next 24 hours.
The U.S. Mission Ukraine said in a statement, “The U.S. embassy in Kyiv has received information concerning a potentially significant air attack that may occur at any time over the next 24 hours.
“The embassy, as always, recommends U.S. citizens be prepared to immediately shelter in the event an air alert is announced.”
‘A NEW KIND OF WAR’: INSIDE UKRAINE’S HIDDEN FACTORIES MASS PRODUCING COMBAT DRONES
A security guard stands outside the embassy of the United States of America Oct. 1, 2019, in Kyiv, Ukraine. (Sean Gallup/Getty Images)
The embassy urged Americans to “identify shelter locations before any air alert,” keep reserves of food, water and medication nearby, follow the “directions of Ukrainian officials and first responders in the event of an emergency,” to immediately take shelter if an alert is announced and to download an air raid app like Air Raid Siren or Alarm App.
By early Sunday morning, the capital was rocked by a massive missile and drone strike, Reuters reported.
At least three people were injured and some residential buildings were damaged, the mayor said on Telegram.
The message follows a warning from Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelenskyy that Russia was preparing to strike Ukraine with a hypersonic Oreshnik missile, citing Ukrainian as well as U.S. and European intelligence.
“We are seeing signs of preparation for a combined strike on Ukrainian territory, including Kyiv, involving various types of weaponry,” Zelenskyy wrote in an X post Saturday morning.
“The specified intermediate-range weapons could be used in such a strike. It is important to act responsibly on air-raid alerts, starting this evening. Russian madness truly knows no bounds, so please protect your lives. Use shelters.”
The message follows a warning from Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelenskyy that Russia was preparing to strike Ukraine with a hypersonic Oreshnik missile, citing Ukrainian as well as U.S. and European intelligence. (AP Photo/Sergei Grits)
UKRAINE’S ‘SPIDER’S WEB’ DRONE STRIKE BURNS OVER 40 RUSSIAN WARPLANES, MOSCOW CALLS IT ‘TERRORIST ATTACK’
He added that the use of such weapons would set a precedent for future aggressors.
“If Russia is allowed to destroy lives on such a scale, then no agreement will restrain other similar hatred-based regimes from aggression and strikes,” he said. “We count on a response from the world and on a response that is not post factum, but preventive. Pressure must be put on Moscow so that it does not expand the war.”
Zelenskyy said Ukraine was preparing its air defenses as much as possible, and “we will respond fully justly to every Russian strike.”
“We have given permission for a parade,” he concluded his post, referring to the President Donald Trump-brokered three-day ceasefire earlier this month, “but Russia has no permission for madness. This war must be ended – we need peace, not some missiles satisfying the sick ambitions of one individual. I thank everyone helping to protect lives. Once again, please take care of yourselves and use shelters tonight.”
At the start of the three-day ceasefire May 9, Russian President Vladimir Putin told reporters he thought the war could come “to an end” soon.
At the start of the President Donald Trump-brokered temporary ceasefire earlier this month, Russian President Vladimir Putin told reporters he thinks the war could come “to an end” soon. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
On Friday, however, Putin vowed retaliation for a deadly Ukrainian drone strike in Starobilsk, an occupied town in eastern Luhansk, claiming that the Ukrainians hit a college dormitory in a “terrorist” act.
Ukraine denied the claim, saying it struck a Russian drone command unit in the area.
World
At least two killed after massive Russian drone and missile attack on Kyiv
The attack came after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned of intelligence that Russia would launch a significant attack using the hypersonic Oreshnik ballistic missile. It was not immediately clear if the missile had been used in the overnight attack.
-
Miami, FL3 minutes agoOvernight car burglary, chase under investigation in Pinecrest, police say
-
Boston, MA9 minutes agoMedford couple celebrating 70th anniversary
-
Denver, CO15 minutes agoWarm temperatures, spotty showers expected through Monday
-
Seattle, WA21 minutes ago
Where to watch Washington Mystics vs Seattle Storm on May 24: TV channel, start time and streaming
-
San Diego, CA27 minutes agoWhere to watch Athletics vs San Diego Padres: TV channel, start time, streaming for May 24
-
Milwaukee, WI33 minutes ago
In Focus: State Sen. Johnson evaluates Milwaukee’s climbing homicide numbers
-
Atlanta, GA39 minutes agoTake a barbecue road trip around Atlanta with these 5 stops
-
Minneapolis, MN44 minutes ago‘He was just the best kid’: Grandparents grieve 16-year-old shot and killed in north Minneapolis