California
'Sip, return, repeat': How this California city is trying to normalize reusable cups
Next month, more than 30 chain restaurants and locally owned coffee shops and eateries in Petaluma, California, will begin providing beverages in reusable cups by default as part of a first-of-its-kind pilot program meant to reduce pollution from single-use plastic.
Through the Petaluma Reusable Cup Project — a three-month pilot program sponsored by a food and beverage industry group called the NextGen Consortium — customers will be served hot and cold beverages in bright purple reusable plastic cups, unless they ask for disposables or bring their own mugs. After drinking their coffees, teas, or sodas, they’ll be able to return the cups at any of the participating establishments, or at one of 60 return receptacles placed strategically throughout the city.
A reuse logistics provider, Muuse, will be in charge of collecting, washing, and redistributing the clean cups back to the coffee shops and restaurants.
Kate Daly, managing director of the impact investment firm Closed Loop Partners — which oversees the NextGen Consortium — said the program will be a major milestone. Existing reusable cup programs tend to operate in sports stadiums, concert halls, and other confined spaces where it’s easier to keep track of inventory. No other citywide program in the U.S. has made reusable cups the default option across so many different foodservice brands.
The project aims to achieve an “unprecedented saturation of reusable packaging” within Petaluma, Daly told Grist. Thanks to funding from the NextGen Consortium — founded by Starbucks and McDonald’s and supported by companies including PepsiCo and Coca-Cola — she said hundreds of thousands of reusable cups will be deployed throughout the city in preparation for the program’s August 5 start date.
Participating locations will include Starbucks, Peet’s Coffee, Dunkin’, KFC, and The Habit Burger Grill, as well as local cafes and restaurants like the Petaluma Pie Company and Tea Room Cafe. Closed Loop Partners said they selected Petaluma — a city of about 60,000 people just north of San Francisco — because of its dense, walkable downtown, and because of residents’ receptivity to reuse programs. Many people may have grown familiar with reuse last year, when Starbucks tested a smaller-scale reusable cup program at 12 locations between Petaluma and another city nearby.
Although the new program is confined to Petaluma and will only last three months, it could help inform initiatives in other cities that are seeking to do away with single-use plastic packaging, the overwhelming majority of which is made from fossil fuels. The U.S. produces close to 40 million metric tons of plastic waste every year and recycles only 5 percent of it; the rest gets sent to landfills or incinerators, or ends up as litter.
Some types of plastic, including disposable cups, are even more unlikely to be recycled. According to the most recent data from the Environmental Protection Agency, from 2018, the U.S. produces more than 1 million tons of plastic plates and cups annually and recycles virtually none of it.
Reuse programs are supposed to help by driving down demand for new plastic packaging. Some initiatives allow customers to bring their own containers to grocery stores and restaurants; others involve store-owned containers that customers borrow and then return. According to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, the most effective returnable container programs could reduce materials use by up to 75 percent and greenhouse gas emissions by up to 70 percent, compared to the status quo. The nonprofit also estimates that U.S. businesses could save some $10 billion in material costs if they replace just 20 percent of their single-use plastic packaging with reusable alternatives.
In designing the Petaluma Reusable Cup Project, Daly and her colleagues sought to ensure a smoother experience than what has been offered in previous trials, including some in the San Francisco Bay Area that were launched by the NextGen Consortium. One key focus was on what she called “precompetitive collaboration,” or getting businesses to buy into a common reuse system in which all of the elements — cups, logistics, messaging — are shared. This might go against companies’ competitive instincts, but it reduces costs so that businesses can participate in a larger reuse system instead of managing one on their own.
To make the program easy to participate in, the Petaluma Reusable Cup Project will be free and won’t involve any customer tracking. Most other reusable cup programs rely on financial motivations to make sure inventory doesn’t get lost — either they charge customers a small, returnable deposit when they borrow a reusable container, or they take down the customer’s credit card information so they can be charged if they fail to return the container after a set amount of time. These options often require downloading a program-specific app.
In Petaluma, however, customers won’t have to do anything to participate — they’ll just order their drinks as normal, with no additional payment or exchange of personal information. A QR code on each cup will direct customers to a website with instructions on how and where to return them — at one of the participating eateries, in return receptacles on city streets or in convenience stores and supermarkets, or by scheduling a home pickup by Muuse.
Rob Daly (no relation to Kate) is owner and president of Avid Coffee, an independent coffee shop with a location in downtown Petaluma. He said the extensive network of return locations made it a “no-brainer” to participate in the Petaluma Reusable Cup Project. Having reliable access to a return point “takes the guesswork out of the consumer’s hands and makes it easier on them,” he told Grist. “When they walk out of my store and they see a drop point, whether it’s my drop point or at multiple locations that are around me or around town — that solves everything.”
Not charging for cups or tracking customers may encourage more people to participate, but it’s also something of a gamble. If lots of customers decided to keep or forgot to return their containers, the Petaluma Reusable Cup Project Project would have no way to hold anyone accountable — it would have to eat the cost of replacing those cups. But Kate Daly said her team has taken some steps to mitigate this problem, like labeling the cups with the message “sip, return, repeat” to remind customers not to throw them away. The cups’ bright purple color is meant to make them “the right kind of ugly,” as Kate Daly put it, to discourage people from keeping them at home.
More importantly, the cups are not individually very valuable — they’re made of an inexpensive rigid plastic called polypropylene — so it won’t represent a huge loss when some inevitably go missing.
Many other reuse programs have opted for polypropylene containers too, despite concerns that they can still leach toxic chemicals and the inherent challenges with recycling them. Some environmental groups argue that single-use plastics should be replaced with reusable containers made of metal and glass, which are more inert and easier to recycle. Most plastic can only be recycled once or twice before it has to be “downcycled” into lower-quality products like carpeting.
Kate Daly said the Petaluma project chose polypropylene because it weighs less than alternative materials and thus causes fewer greenhouse gas emissions during transport. She also said stainless steel cups sometimes get watermarks on them after many washing cycles, causing customers to think they’re unclean.
NextGen’s funding for the Petaluma Reusable Cup Project will last until the end of October. After that, it will be up to city officials to decide whether they want to continue — and find a way to pay for — the program, with or without any structural changes.
Georgia Sherwin, Closed Loop Partners’ senior director of strategy and partnerships, told Grist that some return bins will stay up after the program’s end date so customers can continue bringing their cups back. “The results from the first three months of the initiative will ultimately inform the next rounds of iteration and what a continuation or future reuse program like this would look like in Petaluma and beyond,” she wrote in an email.
Once the cups are collected, Sherwin said her organization aims to “maximize their uses before being recycled,” potentially by donating them to local schools, cafeterias, and businesses.
California
How a snow drought helped set the stage for deadly California avalanche
A weekslong “snow drought” in Northern California’s Sierra Nevada helped set the stage for Tuesday’s deadly avalanche, after several feet of new snow fell on an earlier layer that had hardened, making it unstable and easily triggered, experts said.
READ MORE: 8 backcountry skiers found dead and 1 still missing after California avalanche
The new snow did not have time to bond to the earlier layer before the avalanche near Lake Tahoe killed at least eight backcountry skiers, said Craig Clements, a meteorology professor at San Jose State University, who has conducted avalanche research. Six skiers survived and rescuers were still searching for another one who was still missing on Wednesday.
The group was on a three-day backcountry trek in the Sierra Nevada on Tuesday morning when they were trapped by the avalanche as a winter storm pummeled the West Coast.
The dangers generally are highest in the first 24 to 48 hours after a very large snowfall, Clements said, and authorities had issued avalanche warnings.
Here’s what to know.
What made conditions so dangerous?
When weather is dry and clear, as it had been in the Sierra Nevada since January, snow crystals change and can become angular or round over time, Clements said.
If heavy new snow falls on the crystals, the layers often can’t bond and the new snow forms what is called a storm slab over a weaker layer.
“Because it’s on a mountain, it will slide,” when it’s triggered by any change in the tension above or below, sometimes naturally but also because of people traversing the area, Clements said.
Authorities have not said what triggered Tuesday’s avalanche.
If there had been more consistent snowfall throughout the winter, different layers could have bonded more easily, Clements said. But even when a snow slab forms, the danger often only lasts a couple of days until the new snow stabilizes, he said.
Was climate change a factor?
Although climate change can lead to weather extremes that include both drought and heavier precipitation, it’s difficult to say how and whether it will affect avalanches or where they occur, scientists say.
Clements said this week’s avalanche is fairly typical for California’s Sierra Nevada and he doesn’t believe it can be linked to climate change.
Avalanches are a mechanism of how much snow falls on weak or stable layers, and this one was “a meteorological phenomenon, not a climate phenomenon,” he said.
About 3 feet to 6 feet of snow has fallen since Sunday, when the group started its trip. The area was also hit by subfreezing temperatures and gale force winds. The Sierra Avalanche Center said the threat of more avalanches remained Wednesday and left the snowpack unstable and unpredictable.
What’s happening now?
Crews found the bodies of eight backcountry skiers near California’s Lake Tahoe and were searching for one more following Tuesday’s avalanche, which authorities say was the nation’s deadliest in nearly half a century.
Six from the guided tour were rescued six hours after the avalanche.
Nevada County Sheriff Shannan Moon said Wednesday that investigators would look into the decision to proceed with the trip despite the storm forecast.
The skiers traveled Sunday to remote huts at 7,600 feet (3,415 meters) in Tahoe National Forest, carrying their own food and supplies. At 6:49 that morning, the Sierra Avalanche Center issued an avalanche watch for the area, indicating that large slides were likely in the next 24 to 48 hours.
A free press is a cornerstone of a healthy democracy.
Support trusted journalism and civil dialogue.
California
Bernie Sanders rails against billionaire ‘greed’ amid California tax battle
Billionaires are “treading on very, very thin ice,” Bernie Sanders warned on Wednesday during a fiery speech in Los Angeles, imploring California voters to fight “grotesque” levels of economic inequality by approving a proposed tax on the state’s richest residents.
The Vermont senator railed against the “greed”, “arrogance” and “moral turpitude” of the nation’s “ruling class”, calling it “fairly disgusting” that some ultra-wealthy tech leaders have fled California – or are threatening to do so, if the proposed wealth tax becomes law.
“Never before have so few people had so much wealth and so much power,” Sanders thundered on stage at the Wiltern theater, where a raucous crowd of longtime supporters shouted “shame”.
Though the 84-year-old two-time presidential candidate has railed against the billionaire class for decades, his remarks on Wednesday were an exceptionally scathing – and at times personal – indictment of the top 1%. Comparing America’s highest earners to the oligarchs and monarchs of past centuries, he said the US billionaire elite “no longer sees itself as a part of American society”.
“These guys literally believe that they have the divine right to rule and are no longer subject to democratic governance,” Sanders told a rapt audience.
Sanders framed the wealth tax on billionaires in California, led by the Service Employees International Union-United Healthcare Workers West (SEIU-UHW), as a referendum on American “oligarchy” itself.
“These billionaires are going to learn that we are still living in a democratic society where the people have some power,” Sanders said.
Under the proposal, which has rattled wealthy Californians and split Democrats, residents worth more than $1bn would have to pay a one-time 5% tax on their assets to offset looming federal cuts to health care and support public education and state food assistance programs. California is home to more billionaires than any other state, and analysts say the tax would apply to about 200 residents.
Taking the stage before Sanders, Suzanne Jimenez, chief of staff at SEIU-UHW, said the proposal would ensure billionaires “pay their fair share”.
“If we don’t act, our friends and our family will have to drive twice as far – will have to wait twice as long – for the life-saving care that they’re going to need,” she said. “And for what? So that billionaires can own another yacht?”
Outside the event, organizers collected signatures to put the California Billionaire Tax Act on the ballot in November. The union must gather nearly 875,000 valid signatures to qualify. If they are successful, it would still need to win approval from a majority of California voters.
Even in deep-blue California, the politics are complicated. Opponents, including the state’s Democratic governor, Gavin Newsom, argue the tax would erode the state’s long-term tax base and put California – which boasts the world’s fourth largest economy – at a competitive disadvantage against other US states.
The tax proposal is already facing deep-pocketed opposition from business leaders and tech titans. Google co-founder Sergey Brin and other billionaires are bankrolling a new political group that is backing a series of competing ballot initiatives that would nullify the union-backed proposal. Brin, one of the world’s wealthiest people, is among the recent Silicon Valley magnates to cut ties with the state where he made his fortune.
The proposal’s retroactive structure – taxing wealth accumulated in 2025 – is designed to deter billionaires from fleeing the state before it takes effect, its authors have said, while proponents and critics alike anticipate legal challenges if the tax is adopted.
A nonpartisan analysis from the California Legislative Analyst’s Office estimates that the one-time billionaire tax would “probably” generate tens of billions of dollars for the state. But it cautioned that there was a significant degree of uncertainty if, for example, wealthy Californians departed the state, resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars of losses in state income tax revenues annually. It also notes the complexity and cost of implementation, as valuing complex, non-cash assets such as art, private business, and intellectual property is tricky and time-consuming.
A January poll found that 48% of likely voters support the initiative, while 38% are opposed and 14% remain undecided, underscoring both its appeal and its political risk.
At the Wiltern on Wednesday evening, attendees posed in front of signs that read “Billionaire Tax Now” while the crowd chanted “Tax the billionaires”.
Among the crowd was Morgan, a 29-year-old progressive and longtime supporter of Sanders who declined to give her last name. She hopes his influence can counter the well-financed opposition to the wealth tax. “Their money can do a lot more and go a lot further than ours,” she said of the state’s richest residents.
Chelsea Gods, a content creator and political activist, drove two-and-a-half hours from San Diego to attend the event. “Americans are poor. We are strapped for cash. We are struggling and we are tired,” she said. “People First-policies are the only way to win a political future for people on the left.”
California is familiar terrain for Sanders, who won the state on Super Tuesday during the 2020 Democratic presidential primary.
In his remarks, the populist senator said he didn’t know whether the uber-rich would follow through on their threats to leave California, noting that wealthy New Yorkers had also warned they would flee if democratic socialist, Zohran Mamdani, was elected mayor of the city. They do not appear to have done so.
Sanders also named names and listed assets, drawing boos and jeers as he listed Larry Ellison’s jets and Mark Zuckerberg’s yachts and his Palo Alto compound.
“For these people enough is never enough,” he said. “They are dedicated to accumulating more and more wealth and power and they do that no matter what harm they bring to working families.”
Sanders said Minnesotans opposed to Trump’s federal immigration crackdown showed Americans how to resist authoritarianism. Approving a wealth tax on billionaires, he said, would send a “clear and profound message” that “enough is enough”.
“The billionaire class cannot have it all. This nation belongs to all of us,” Sanders said, before concluding his remarks: “Now the ball is in California’s court.”
California
Multiple skiers missing after California avalanche | CNN
-
Oklahoma2 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Science1 week agoA SoCal beetle that poses as an ant may have answered a key question about evolution
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Politics1 week agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
Fitness1 week ago‘I Keep Myself Very Fit’: Rod Stewart’s Age-Defying Exercise Routine at 81
