Connect with us

Florida

Florida 'Safe Haven' law expansion awaiting Gov. DeSantis' signature

Published

on

Florida 'Safe Haven' law expansion awaiting Gov. DeSantis' signature


An expansion of Florida’s “Safe Haven” policy — which made it legal to surrender unwanted infants, as long as they are given up to specific agencies like hospitals, fire stations and EMS services unharmed — is sitting on Governor Ron DeSantis’ desk awaiting his signature. 

Advertisement

The expanded law would allow women more time to drop off the newborn, from the current seven-day deadline, to 30 days. It would also authorize 911 dispatchers to arrange an infant drop-off location in case the child’s guardian has no transportation to an agency’s site.

“I think, basically, people were just wanting to give moms more time. And, other states have 30 days, and it’s a positive thing, really,” said Nick Silverio, the CEO of A Safe Haven for Newborns. “[The mother] might be going through postpartum. She might be going through a medical condition that she had delivering the baby… this just gives her more time.”

READ: Florida’s six-week abortion ban takes effect

Advertisement

An adoption agency in St. Petersburg said it’s a good time for this expanded law, given the six-week abortion ban that took effect in the state. 

“I think we’re going to see with the six-week [abortion] ban, we’re going to see an increase. I come from child welfare for over 30 years, and we’re going to see an increase in those children coming in for care,” said Connie Going of “Going Adoption and Surrogacy in St. Pete. “I think that we’re going to see an increase in adoptions. I think we’re going to see an increase in parenting, which means we as communities have to step up and provide services that support families.”

Advertisement

This bill also comes just days after a baby was found dead in a garbage bin on The University of Tampa’s campus last week. The baby’s mother told police she gave birth in her dorm bathroom before it briefly cried and then died, court records said. 

The UT student also said she didn’t know she was pregnant, and then later told police she may have been in denial about not being pregnant and hadn’t had a period in about a year. 

Advertisement

The policymakers hope this law will prevent tragic situations like that. 

WATCH FOX 13 NEWS:

SIGN UP: Click here to sign up for the FOX 13 daily newsletter

Advertisement



Source link

Florida

Florida Aquarium offers free admission for military service members over holiday weekend

Published

on

Florida Aquarium offers free admission for military service members over holiday weekend


TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Military service members can get free admission to The Florida Aquarium over Memorial Day weekend.

Active-duty military, veterans, retired military personnel, drilling reservists, National Guardsmen, and honorably or medically discharged service members will receive free general admission from Saturday, May 23, to Monday, May 25.

Military service members will need to show a valid U.S. Military ID or DD Form 214 to get a free ticket at the ticket window.

“In honor of the courage, commitment, and sacrifice of our nation’s military service members, The Florida Aquarium will once again offer complimentary general admission during Memorial Day weekend as a heartfelt thank-you to those who serve and have served our country,” the aquarium said.

Advertisement
Courtesy of The Florida Aquarium

The aquarium said it will offer extended hours from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. throughout the three-day weekend.

To learn more about the aquarium, visit its website.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Florida

Florida officials to pay $485,000 settlement to fired FWC biologist over Charlie Kirk post after his death

Published

on

Florida officials to pay 5,000 settlement to fired FWC biologist over Charlie Kirk post after his death


Florida officials will pay nearly half a million dollars to a biologist who was fired by a state agency for criticizing conservative activist Charlie Kirk on social media after his death.

The state’s Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission fired biologist Brittney Brown in September after she reposted a meme on her personal Instagram account that claimed Kirk wouldn’t care about children being shot in their classrooms. She filed a lawsuit seeking reinstatement, saying she struggled to find other work because the state agency is the regulatory body for her research specialization in bird conservation.

Brown on Thursday signed a $485,000 settlement agreement with agency directors that covers back pay, damages and attorney costs. She agreed as part of the deal to not seek future employment at the agency.

Fish and Wildlife officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Advertisement

Other workers also filed pending lawsuits over being fired over comments about Kirk’s assassination 

Brown was among a wave of workers in both the public and private sector who lost their jobs over comments about Kirk’s assassination on a Utah university campus. Lawsuits are pending over many of those firings.

Before his death, Kirk and the organization he founded, Turning Point USA, galvanized the conservative youth vote to help President Donald Trump win a second term.

Kirk’s supporters combed social media after the Sept. 10 shooting for posts they viewed as celebrating his death. Influencers like Laura Loomer pledged to ruin the careers of people who made light of the killing, and the conservative social media account Libs of TikTok shared the identities and workplaces of many who posted with its audience of millions.

Libs of TikTok posted about Brown, and she was fired the next day, according to her lawsuit. Brown said someone then alerted Libs of TikTok about her termination only about 10 minutes after it happened and before it was made public.

In a rare instance in Tennessee, a retired police officer was jailed for 37 days over a Facebook post joking about Kirk’s assassination. Tennessee officials agreed Wednesday to pay $835,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by the man, Larry Bushart. While behind bars, Bushart lost his postretirement job and missed the birth of his granddaughter before authorities eventually dropped a felony charge against him, he said in the lawsuit.

Advertisement

Before her termination, Brown worked for Florida’s Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for about seven years and studied shorebirds and seabirds on the panhandle, according to court documents.

Carrie McNamara, an attorney with the ACLU of Florida, called Brown’s settlement deal “a hard-won vindication” that sends a message to Florida officials that they cannot punish speech they dislike.

“The First Amendment does not disappear when someone accepts a government job,” McNamara said.

Brown’s former supervisor at the agency, Habitat and Species Conservation Director Melissa Tucker, had claimed that Brown’s post generated hundreds of formal complaints and caused significant disruption. Discovery in the case later revealed that the agency only received about 50 complaints.

U.S. District Judge Mark Walker imposed sanctions against Tucker last week for exaggerating the amount and then not correcting the record.

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Florida

Man who stabbed woman, her daughter to death in Coral Springs to be executed

Published

on

Man who stabbed woman, her daughter to death in Coral Springs to be executed


A Florida man convicted of fatally stabbing of his cousin’s girlfriend and the couple’s 4-year-old daughter is set to be executed Thursday evening.

Richard Knight, 47, is scheduled to receive a three-drug injection starting at 6 p.m. at Florida State Prison near Starke. Knight was sentenced to death after being convicted of two counts of first-degree murder in 2006 for the deaths of Odessia Stephens and her four-year-old child, Hanessia Mullings.

This would be Florida’s seventh execution so far this year, following a record 19 executions in 2025. Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis oversaw more executions in a single year in 2025 than any other Florida governor since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976. The previous record was set in 2014 with eight executions.

According to court records, Knight had been living in Coral Springs, near Fort Lauderdale, with his cousin, his cousin’s girlfriend and their daughter in June 2000. Knight and Stephens frequently argued about Knight living there. One evening while Knight’s cousin was at work, Stephens told Knight that he would need to move out the next morning. Knight became angry and stabbed Stephens multiple times and then attacked the young girl, officials said.

Advertisement

While being held at the Broward County Jail following his arrest, Knight confessed the killings to another inmate, who testified against Knight during his trial.

The Florida Supreme Court denied Knight’s appeals last Friday. The court rejected his claim of newly discovered evidence, pointing out that an unidentified fingerprint found on a knife at the murder scene was known about and addressed during Knight’s original trial. The court also rejected claims based on Florida’s execution protocols and warrant process.

A final appeal was still pending before the U.S. Supreme Court.

A total of 47 people were executed in the U.S. in 2025. Florida led the way with a flurry of death warrants signed by DeSantis. Alabama, South Carolina and Texas tied for second with five executions each.

An execution was scheduled for Thursday in Tennessee. And another execution is planned in Florida on June 2. Andrew Richard Lukehart, 53, was convicted of fatally beating of his girlfriend’s infant daughter in 1996.

Advertisement

All Florida executions are carried out via lethal injection of a sedative, a paralytic and a drug that stops the heart, according to the Department of Corrections.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending