Connecticut
CT Republicans to seek laws regarding trans students, athletes
A number of Republican lawmakers and advocates on Wednesday came out in favor of legislative proposals that would require schools to notify parents when their children want to be referred to by a new set of pronouns and that would require student athletes to compete in sports based on their assigned gender at birth.
Members of the Let Kids Be Kids coalition, an organization formed to “encourage legislators to protect children,” according to its website, argued that these bills were necessary to protect the rights of children.
The first bill would force schools to disclose to parents if their child were being addressed with different pronouns than what they were given at birth.
“Kids are best protected when parents are involved,” said Peter Wolfgang, the president of the Family Institute of Connecticut, a group that has also advocated for restrictions on abortion in Connecticut. “The state should not come between parents and their children.”
The coalition of elected officials, religious leaders and parents who support the bill argue that schools should not have the option to hide information pertaining to their child’s gender identity, and they claimed that under the current guidelines from the Department of Education, schools are encouraged to hide the status of children’s identities.
These bills are similar to the efforts of Republican legislators across the country to pass legislation regarding transgender youth. In 2023, Republicans across the country introduced more than 500 bills regarding LGBTQ youths, with 48 passing.
There are at least six states with legislation requiring schools to disclose if their child goes by a different identity than what they were assigned at birth. At the start of the 2023 legislative season, more than 150 bills in 25 states had been proposed regarding transgender youth.
“This is merely a parental notification bill. That’s all we’re asking for at this point,” Rep. Anne Dauphinais, R-Killingly, said. “All kinds of things are going on with your children, and parents have no idea.”
Current guidelines say that “there is no law that specifically requires districts or schools to inform parents or guardians of a student’s gender identity or expression.” The guidelines also emphasize the importance of open communication between parents and school districts.
Opponents of the bill argue that it would increase the presence of the government in raising children and raised concerns about the potential harm that could come with forcing school districts to disclose gender identity to parents.
“As a parent, and like any parent, I want my child to share things with me, and to know what’s happening in their life. And I want to know that, even when they may not be ready to share with me, that they have the support they need at school,” Melissa Combs, founder of the Out Accountability Project, said in a statement.
“Outing students without their consent forces schools to intrude on family relationships like mine, taking away opportunities for important family conversations. Who invites the government to their dinner table? No one,” Combs added. Outing is when someone’s sexual identity is shared without their consent.
The second bill, titled “Save Women’s Sports,” would make athletes participate in sports teams for the gender they were assigned at birth. Twenty-five states have laws banning transgender athletes from participating in high school sports consistent with their gender identity.
“It’s about protecting women and girls.” Rep. Mark Anderson, R-Granby, said. “If you’re for women’s rights, then you must be for protecting women’s sports”
Combs disagreed.
“If Connecticut truly wants to support girls’ sports, they would be providing more funding, creating more opportunities to play, and enacting stronger laws that protect female athletes from harassment and abuse — not banning transgender youth from participating in school sports with their peers.”
Each proposed bill has five cosponsors, all House Republicans: Anderson, Rep. Joe Hoxha of Bristol, Rep. Brian Lanoue of Griswold, Rep. Donna Veach of Southington and Dauphinais. The bills will be referred to the education committee, but they are unlikely to gain traction in the legislature, which is dominated by Democrats.
“I have not examined them in detail, but we are not looking to enact anything in Connecticut which is part of a right wing agenda nationally,” said Senate President Pro Tem Martin Looney, D-New Haven, when asked about the two bills.
Connecticut
3 names added to Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial in Meriden
MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — On Thursday, the City of Meriden remembered those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
Law enforcement gathered for the Connecticut Law Enforcement Ceremony, where three names were added to the Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial.
New London Police Sgt. Frank Linehan, who died in 1950 while performing his duties, will be added to the memorial.
Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Donald Kleber will also be added, after he died in 2024 from exposure to Ground Zero after the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center.
The final name to be added was Yale officer Gregory Swaintek, who died on the job last year.
To learn more about the memorial, visit the foundation’s website here.
Connecticut
Eversource seeks 11% rate hike for Connecticut residents by next summer
HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Eversource customers in Connecticut may see a double-digit rate hike next summer.
The electric company filed a letter of intent on Wednesday seeking a rate hike of about 11% across all customer classes and about 13% for residential customers. If the distribution rate is approved as proposed, it would begin on July 1, 2027.
A spokesperson for Eversource said the letter of intent details an annual operating revenue deficiency of about $503 million, not including storm costs between 2018 and 2023.
The economy, inflation, supply chain challenges and other factors increased equipment costs and materials across the utility industry, according to Eversource.
To maintain the level of “affordable reliability and resiliency” customers expect, an increased investment is needed, an Eversource spokesperson said.
Read the full letter of intent below:
The letter of intent is the first step in requesting that regulators review and adjust distribution rates to reflect the modern cost of maintaining electric systems and services.
Eversource Spokesperson Sarah Paduano’s full statement on Wednesday read:
“Today we submitted a letter of intent (LOI) to file a distribution rate review for our electric operations – the first in nearly a decade. Over the last 10 years, customers have experienced increased reliability as a direct result of our strategic investments in the electric system, and increased investment is needed to maintain the level of affordable reliability and resiliency that customers have come to expect.
The LOI is standard procedure and submitted prior to filing the actual rate review application. This is the first step in the process to request regulators review and adjust current distribution rates to better reflect the cost of maintaining the electric system and safely delivering power to customers across Connecticut. Our LOI details an operating revenue deficiency of approximately $503 million annually, which excludes 2018-2023 storm costs. If approved as proposed, the average increase would be approximately 11% across all customer classes and approximately 13% for residential customers starting July 1, 2027.
Our storm costs are currently being evaluated by PURA in a separate docket, and we are hopeful regulators will authorize securitization for those costs, which is a specialized financing method that will allow those costs to be recovered over a much longer timeframe of 20 years and at a lower interest rate compared to the traditional six year recovery. If securitization is approved, this will substantially lower bill impacts for customers and allow us to keep the full amount of storm costs from our rate review application.“
Connecticut Attorney General William Tong released the following statement Wednesday in response to the proposed rate increase:
“Connecticut families are getting crushed by unaffordable energy costs while Eversource executives crow to Wall Street over surging profits and rake in multimillion dollar bonuses. But they choose now to demand hundreds of millions of dollars more. Why? Because after years of litigation and lobbying, they finally ran their chief regulator out of town. They want a rate hike now not because they need one, but because they think they can get away with it. We’re going to scrutinize every profit, every bonus, every perk and every padded expense in their application and we’re going to be fighting for Connecticut families and small businesses at every step of this process.”
Paduano said there are no CEO, CFO, or company president salaries or variable pay included in the proposed rate request.
Consumer Counsel Claire E. Coleman also released the following statement on Wednesday on the rate filing:
“A letter of intent is the first step in the rate case process, where a company notifies regulators that it intends to seek a rate increase. Eversource will now have up to 60 days to file a full application, formally triggering what is expected to be one of the most consequential utility review proceedings in years. Once filed, OCC will aggressively scrutinize the company’s request, conduct discovery, cross examine Eversource witnesses, and present recommendations to PURA to ensure customers are not asked to pay for anything beyond the most necessary and cost-effective investments. My office will prioritize keeping costs as low as possible for consumers already struggling with affordability challenges, while promoting critical infrastructure, cybersecurity, consumer protections, and overall system reliability. Because Eversource has not undergone a rate review since 2018, this case will provide the first real opportunity in years to thoroughly examine the company’s operations, spending decisions, and priorities under a microscope. This process will also provide multiple opportunities for members of the public, community organizations, and elected officials to participate through public hearings and written comments submitted into the record. OCC strongly encourages consumers to stay engaged throughout the proceeding and to visit our website or contact our office directly for information on how to participate.”
Download the News 8 app to get breaking news and weather alerts.
Watch News 8 on WTNH.com or the free WTNH News 8 streaming app on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and select Samsung Smart TVs.
Connecticut
Connecticut state colleges board meets on interim chancellor search
(WFSB) – The Connecticut State Colleges and Universities Board of Regents met to discuss the search for an interim chancellor.
The meeting lasted about an hour and a half, with nearly the entire time spent in executive session. Before the board adjourned, they said no action was taken that needed to be publicly addressed.
The board elected a temporary chair who almost immediately moved to make the discussion private.
“The board will now go into executive session to discuss preliminary drafts and notes as well as personnel matters,” said Ari Santiago, Board of Regents, Connecticut State Colleges and Universities.
The meeting comes after the former chancellor, his replacement and the board chair stepped down in the last year amid controversies.
Last spring, former Chancellor Terrence Cheng was made a special advisor to the board after a state audit found thousands of dollars worth of questionable spending like travel and entertainment.
John Maduko was then named interim chancellor. Last month, he was put on administrative leave and then resigned. Documents obtained found Maduko was under investigation for sexual harassment.
This week, Board of Regents Chair Marty Guay resigned. In the complaint filed against Maduko, a woman says she did not report the harassment sooner because she says Guay told her he previously fired a woman for filing a sexual assault complaint.
Karen Bufkin, CSCU’s general counsel, is currently leading the system. She was part of the meeting.
Governor Ned Lamont says he plans to appoint a new chair for the Board of Regents by the end of this week.
Copyright 2026 WFSB. All rights reserved.
-
Denver, CO5 minutes agoPolice investigate shooting at Montbello Recreation Center
-
Seattle, WA11 minutes ago3 Seattle Seahawks UDFAs Who Could Steal a Spot on 53-Man Roster
-
San Diego, CA17 minutes agoColorado Muslims grieving, want accountability after San Diego mosque shooting
-
Milwaukee, WI23 minutes agoFBI seeks to interview Milwaukee police about 2020 election
-
Atlanta, GA29 minutes agoVideo shows person of interest in deadly Atlanta shooting, police say
-
Minneapolis, MN35 minutes agoHomicide investigation underway in north Minneapolis after double shooting leaves 16-year-old dead
-
Indianapolis, IN41 minutes ago‘We’re a bunch of psychos’: Crashing is part of the job for Indy 500 drivers
-
Pittsburg, PA47 minutes agoMotorcyclist found dead near I-79 in Cranberry 2 days after crash, police say