Sports
Luka Doncic scores 33 and remains unbeaten against Mavericks in Lakers comeback
DALLAS — Luka Doncic was met with a chorus of cheers when he strolled onto the court at American Airlines Center to do his pregame shooting routine.
“We love you Luka,” the fans chanted. “We love you.”
Doncic smiled and waved toward the crowd. He had spent six-plus seasons playing for the Mavericks, a place he thought he would call home for his entire career as the face of the franchise.
But a stunning, three-team trade last year sent Doncic to the Lakers.
Doncic returned to Dallas for the second time since the trade, leading the Lakers to a 116-110 comeback win on cold and icy Saturday night.
Doncic was magnificent with 33 points, 11 assists and eight rebounds as he improved to 4-0 against his former team.
“Obviously, there’s always going to be emotions,” Doncic said. “I was happy to be back here. I went to my house. I saw my cars. But obviously it’s always going to be emotions. I really appreciate how they cheered for me when I was introduced. It’s always going to be a special place for me.”
LeBron James finished with 17 points, eight rebounds and five assists. Rui Hachimura had 17 points and eight rebounds and Marcus Smart had 13 points, seven rebounds and three assists.
“I’m always going to want to win, no matter what,” Doncic said. “But obviously this win is a little different.”
The Lakers (27-17) led by 14 points at one point before going down by 15 in the fourth quarter.
They made a stirring comeback late in the fourth quarter behind Hachimura, who went on a 7-0 run. He made a three-pointer while being fouled and made the subsequent free throw. He then hit another three to put the Lakers ahead 108-106, a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.
“I think we were sharing the ball today and Luka was getting double-teamed in the last five minutes. So, I think that was a good look for us,” Hachimura said. “We talked about how we had to share the ball and find each other and I ended up shooting the last shot. So, yeah, I think it was good by the whole team.”
Hachimura was six for 13 from the field and four for seven from three-point range.
Lakers forward Rui Hachimura celebrates after scoring against the Mavericks in the second quarter Saturday.
(Julio Cortez / Associated Press)
“He took his shots tonight,” Lakers coach JJ Redick said. “And we’re all very confident in him. He’s a laser. He’s a fantastic shooter. The four-point play followed by the three, that seven-point swing where we’re down five and go up two in the matter of 30 seconds was huge.”
After Cooper Flagg made one of two free throws, Smart grabbed a rebound off a missed Hachimura three-pointer and scored despite dislocating his right index finger earlier in the quarter.
“I was like, ‘I don’t want to come out of the game, so I’m trying to pop it back in real quick,’” Smart said. “It was able to go back in.”
James followed Smart’s play with a tip-in. Doncic made two free throws to finish off the Mavericks (19-27) after Naji Marshall was called for a charge.
In the first quarter, Doncic shot a three-pointer over Brandon Williams to give him 1,500 career threes, making him the youngest player in NBA history to accomplish the feat.
“There were still emotions, trust me. But a little bit better, a little bit easier for me,” Doncic said. “How the fans accept me here, it’s unbelievable. I still got a lot of friends here, players, some other people. So I’m happy to be back a little bit.”
Sports
Raiders’ No 1 pick Fernando Mendoza surprises Cal’s MBA commencement by walking the stage for undergrad degree
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Fernando Mendoza, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, took time away from the Las Vegas Raiders to turn his tassel, and perhaps, show off his arm by flinging his cap in a graduation ceremony this weekend.
But it wasn’t at Indiana’s commencement ceremony – he went back to Cal.
Mendoza, who missed a White House visit with his Hoosiers teammates earlier this month to focus on his time with his new NFL squad, was a part of Cal’s MBA commencement ceremony on Saturday after previously missing their undergraduate ceremony this past Wednesday.
Fernando Mendoza looks to pass during the Las Vegas Raiders rookie minicamp at the team’s headquarters in Henderson, Nev., on May 2, 2026. (David Becker/Getty Images)
Once again, Mendoza didn’t want to leave his Raiders teammates, but Jenny Chatman, dean of the Haas School of Business at Cal, made an exception for the man who completed his degree at Cal.
During the ceremony, Chatman paused to share the surprise that Mendoza would be able to walk the stage for his undergraduate degree.
TOM BRADY CRACKS JOKES ABOUT ‘CRANKY’ BILL BELICHICK, JETS, ELI MANNING IN MOTIVATIONAL COMMENCEMENT SPEECH
“We have one Haas undergraduate student who couldn’t make it to commencement on Wednesday. So, I hope you don’t mind I invited this person to our MBA commencement,” Chatman told the crowd. “He actually had a really good excuse for missing commencement. He used his Haas skills and coursework to negotiate an excellent job and an excellent comp package.
“But he wasn’t able to change his start date when he needed to report to his new job, so can you please help me in welcoming Las Vegas Raider, Heisman Trophy winner, Haas graduate and Cal Bear forever, Fernando Mendoza.”
The surprise led to a great number of cheers for Mendoza who, as always, had a bright smile on his face as he walked across the stage and accepted his degree in business administration and management.
Mendoza finished that degree while enrolled in a master’s program at Indiana in 2025.
Las Vegas Raiders quarterback Fernando Mendoza warms up during a rookie minicamp at Intermountain Health Performance Center in Henderson, Nev., on May 2, 2026. (Candice Ward/Imagn Images)
During that time tackling two workloads with two different schools, Mendoza was also leading the Hoosiers to a historic undefeated season under head coach Curt Cignetti, ultimately leading to a national championship victory in his home Miami against his hometown Miami Hurricanes.
It was during the undefeated season that Mendoza cemented himself as the top quarterback option in this year’s draft, and the Raiders, a team desperate for a quarterback of the future, confirmed all predictions that he would go first overall this past month.
Now, his focus is on how he can impact his new franchise, whether he’s starting or not. Veteran Kirk Cousins is also on the quarterbacks depth chart in “Sin City,” and new head coach Klint Kubiak has mentioned the ideal scenario where Cousins starts Week 1, with Mendoza developing and learning behind him before taking over under center.
It’s because of that focus Mendoza said he wouldn’t be joining his Hoosier teammates in the nation’s capital for a White House ceremony celebrating their national championship.
President Donald Trump revealed that Mendoza did call him and they had a conversation.
Quarterback Fernando Mendoza, selected as the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft by the Las Vegas Raiders, attends a news conference at the Raiders Headquarters in Henderson, Nev., on April 24, 2026. (Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
“He called me and explained why he couldn’t be here,” Trump told the group at the White House during the ceremony.
“If he was not here for any other reason. If he did not like Trump, I would not have mentioned him for any other reason. I like him, he’s actually a big fan of what we’re doing… Fernando couldn’t be here today because he’s now a member of the Las Vegas Raiders. I hope he does good.”
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
Sports
LAFC coach Marc Dos Santos hopes to restore attacking identity after World Cup
Recent losses, outside criticism and a sense that the team’s identity has strayed from its original path have left LAFC in an uncomfortable position.
As the team prepares to host the Seattle Sounders on Sunday at BMO Stadium before a mandatory break for the World Cup, coach Marc Dos Santos shared his thoughts on the team’s adversity and goals for the future.
The coach said one of his main self-criticisms involved straying from the attacking identity he intended to build at LAFC since taking over as head coach.
“Outside criticism when the team loses isn’t that important to me because I’ve learned in my life that if you’re going to build a life based on what outsiders think of you, you’re going to be very unhappy,” Dos Santos said. “But in self-reflection, I’ll tell you one thing: I’m hard on myself. I believe we were building something with a clear identity, and after the series against Cruz Azul — in the Concacaf Champions League quarterfinals — I thought about switching to a three-man backline to defend more. I went in a more defensive direction, and I don’t want to be like that.”
The coach said the tactical change was the wrong move for LAFC.
“It was a mistake on my part, and it doesn’t reflect LAFC’s identity — it’s not what I want to build here,” Dos Santos said. “I want to make sure that this summer I thoroughly analyze what we need to change, and I have to stay true to LAFC’s identity.”
The comments come at a delicate time for LAFC, which has let potential MLS wins slip away despite showing competitive moments recently against St. Louis City SC and Nashville SC.
LAFC had hoped to once again be one of the dominant teams in the Western Conference, but offensive inconsistencies and tactical adjustments have led to questions about the coaching staff. The Los Angeles side sits in seventh place in the West with 21 points, eight points behind the leader, the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Dos Santos dismissed the idea that the problem is solely related to the tactical scheme and insisted that the most important change involves reclaiming aggressive principles with and without the ball.
“When we have the ball, we have to show the character to go after it — we can’t be afraid,” he said. “And when we don’t have the ball, we can’t just sit back. Look at one of the best teams in the world, Paris Saint-Germain F.C. Look at how they run without the ball. That’s soccer today.”
Amid this soccer overhaul, one of the most closely watched names remains Denis Bouanga. The Gabonese forward hasn’t made the same dominant influence as in previous seasons, though Dos Santos insisted that his relationship with the player remains solid and transparent.
“Denis knows what I want. I’ve always been very honest with him,” the coach said. “Last year we played a lot of games in a 3-5-2, defending a lot with Denis and Son [Heung-min,] but the club and I want to move to a different model. We’re all on the same page.”
Son Heung-min will temporarily leave LAFC after the match against Seattle to join South Korea’s training camp ahead of the World Cup, which will be played in the United States, Mexico and Canada.
The Asian forward said his full focus remains on this weekend’s match.
“I’m not thinking about that yet,” Son said of the World Cup. “The most important match is on Sunday. I just want to make sure we get a great result before heading to the World Cup and arrive in good physical condition.”
Son expects to be tested when South Korea travels to Mexico to play some of its World Cup matches.
“It’s not easy in Mexico, honestly,” he explained. “The altitude and conditions are different, but you have to love those big challenges. We’re really excited.”
As Son prepares to leave, LAFC faces a second-half schedule filled with intense competition. Following the match against Seattle, the club will return from the break to play against the rival Galaxy on July 17.
For Dos Santos, these challenges define the demands of managing LAFC.
“LAFC is a club that wants to win and whose fans want to see it win,” Dos Santos said. “Here, there’s always the responsibility to perform at a [high level]. If you don’t want to be in big games, you don’t coach at LAFC.”
The coach said external criticism isn’t influencing his plans.
“The pressure we feel is the pressure we put on ourselves,” Dos Santos said. “Pressure is when a doctor calls you and tells you you have a problem, or when your child has a problem. Soccer is a sport. You can win or lose. What you can control is improving the team during the week.”
Dos Santos said the World Cup break will serve as a key opportunity for internal analysis before redefining the club’s soccer direction. With the season barely halfway through, the coach said that regaining the team’s identity will be just as important as earning points when MLS returns in the summer.
This article first appeared in Spanish via L.A. Times en Español.
Sports
Knicks take commanding 3-0 lead over Cavaliers in Eastern Conference Finals
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The New York Knicks took a commanding 3-0 lead in the Eastern Conference Finals on Saturday as the franchise eyes its first NBA Finals berth since 1999.
Jalen Brunson scored 30 points to lead New York to a 121-108 win over Cleveland, while Mikal Bridges added 22 as the Knicks never trailed in Game 3.
The New York Knicks bench reacts during the fourth quarter against the Cleveland Cavaliers in game three of the Eastern Conference finals at Rocket Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, on May 23, 2026. (David Richard/Imagn Images)
New York is the seventh team in NBA history to win at least 10 straight during a postseason run. The last team to do it was the Boston Celtics, who also went on a 10-game run on their way to the 2024 title.
All but one of the Knicks’ wins have been by double digits, with an average margin of victory of 22.5 points.
Cavaliers star Donovan Mitchell finished with 23 points in 38 minutes, while teammate James Harden added 21. Cleveland shot 12 of 41 from 3-point range and 12 of 19 from the foul line.
Cleveland Cavaliers guard Donovan Mitchell (45) drives to the basket against New York Knicks guard Landry Shamet (44) during the first quarter in Game Three of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals at Rocket Arena on May 23, 2026 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)
Cleveland rallied and tied it at 50-all on a jumper by Harden before the Knicks countered with a 10-1 run. They went into halftime with a 60-54 advantage.
THUNDER ERASE 15-POINT DEFICIT TO TAKE SERIES LEAD OVER SPURS AS VICTOR WEMBANYAMA’S 26 POINTS FALL SHORT
Music superstar Taylor Swift was courtside for Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals on Saturday night alongside fiancé and Ohio native Travis Kelce.
Swift and Kelce, who recently signed a three-year, $54 million contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, took their seats in Rocket Arena shortly before the opening tip.
Singer Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce attend Game Three of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals between the New York Knicks and Cleveland Cavaliers at Rocket Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, on May 23, 2026. (Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)
With the Cavs trailing 91-82 at the end of the third quarter, Kelce and Swift were shown on the arena’s giant scoreboard. Fans cheered wildly as Kelce showed off his team cap and wine-and-gold shirt.
Game 4 is set for Monday night at Rocket Arena in Cleveland. The series will return to Madison Square Garden for Game 5 on Wednesday, if necessary.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Meanwhile, in the Western Conference, the San Antonio Spurs will host the defending champion Oklahoma City Thunder in Game 4 on Sunday night. Oklahoma City enters the matchup with a 2-1 series lead.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
-
Virginia2 minutes agoDouglas Shepp McCain, eldest son of late Senator John McCain, passes away at 66
-
Washington8 minutes agoBystander in serious condition after fatal shooting near White House checkpoint
-
Wisconsin14 minutes agoTop Three Most Important Recruits At Wisconsin’s First Official Visit Weekend
-
West Virginia20 minutes agoPredicting the 16 NCAA Regional Hosts — Will WVU Make the Cut?
-
Wyoming26 minutes agoWyoming’s Hageman aims to block future ‘roadless areas,’ despite overwhelming support to keep public land pristine
-
Crypto32 minutes agoWeekend Round-Up: Bitcoin’s Big Players, XRP ETFs, SpaceX’s BTC Holdings And More
-
Finance38 minutes agoMum reveals grim property reality facing millions of parents: ‘Screwed’
-
Fitness44 minutes agoDevon fitness community helps women rethink exercise during menopause