Politics
Video: Millions at Risk of Hunger as Food Stamp Freeze Looms
new video loaded: Millions at Risk of Hunger as Food Stamp Freeze Looms
transcript
transcript
Millions at Risk of Hunger as Food Stamp Freeze Looms
Forty-two million low-income Americans could lose access to food assistance on Nov. 1, making it the most significant and dire casualty of a governmentwide closure that has stretched into its fifth week. A judge is set to rule Friday on whether the Trump administration must reverse course and continue to fund the program known as SNAP.
-
I started using SNAP about a year ago. As soon as you turn an adult, expenses just hit you. And it’s hard to afford things. Your country is supposed to be supporting you, and the last thing you want to worry about is if you’re going to have food on your table at the end of the night. We have a lot of seniors here. There’s a lot of disabled people, so they rely on us because the SNAP is just not enough. And especially now, when there’s going to be completely cut off, they’re going to rely on us 100 percent even more to come and get as much food as possible.
By Monika Cvorak
October 31, 2025
Politics
USCIS halts ‘all asylum decisions’ after DC shooting of National Guard members
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced on Friday that it has halted all asylum decisions following the shooting in Washington, D.C., in which an Afghan national was accused of shooting two National Guard members, including one who died from her injuries.
USCIS Director Joseph B. Edlow said the asylum decisions would be suspended “until we can ensure that every alien is vetted and screened to the maximum degree possible.”
“The safety of the American people always comes first,” he wrote on X.
The pause comes amid a broader immigration crackdown signaled by President Donald Trump, who on Thursday vowed to halt migration from “Third World countries” and reverse Biden-era admissions.
STATE DEPARTMENT ‘IMMEDIATELY’ HALTS ALL AFGHAN PASSPORT VISAS FOLLOWING DEADLY NATIONAL GUARD ATTACK
National Guard members Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and Andrew Wolfe, 24, were shot in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday. (United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia/Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Edlow said on Thursday that officials would reexamine green cards issued to immigrants from every “country of concern,” including Afghanistan. USCIS also implemented new national security measures to be considered while vetting immigrants from “high risk” countries.
“I have directed a full scale, rigorous reexamination of every Green Card for every alien from every country of concern,” he wrote.
ATF and Secret Service officers are seen after two National Guard soldiers were shot near the White House in Washington, D.C., Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2025. (Evan Vucci/AP)
The Department of Homeland Security also said it had already halted all immigration requests from Afghanistan and was in the process of reviewing all asylum cases approved under the Biden administration.
Additionally, the Department of State has paused all visas for people traveling on Afghan passports in response to the attack against the National Guard members.
“The Department of State has IMMEDIATELY paused visa issuance for individuals traveling on Afghan passports,” the agency wrote. “The Department is taking all necessary steps to protect U.S. national security and public safety.”
National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, 20, of West Virginia, died after the shooting on Wednesday in the nation’s capital, while the second service member wounded in the attack, Andrew Wolfe, 24, is still in critical condition.
The alleged gunman, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, faces multiple charges, including one count of first-degree murder and two counts of assault with intent to kill while armed. Attorney General Pam Bondi said that the Justice Department would pursue the death penalty against the suspect.
WHO IS THE DC NATIONAL GUARDSMEN SHOOTING SUSPECT? WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT AFGHAN NATIONAL RAHMANULLAH LAKANWAL
Undated file photo of Rahmanullah Lakanwal, the suspect in the shooting of two National Guard soldiers in Washington, D.C., November 26, 2025. (Provided by Department of Justice)
Lakanwal entered the U.S. legally in 2021 under humanitarian parole as part of the Biden administration’s Operation Allies Welcome, following the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan.
He was vetted by the CIA in Afghanistan for his work with the agency and again for his asylum application in the U.S. A senior U.S. official told Fox News he was “clean on all checks” in his background check.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Lakanwal had his asylum application approved by the Trump administration earlier this year.
A report released by the Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General in June found there were “no systemic failures” in Afghan refugee vetting or subsequent immigration pathways.
Politics
Commentary: California’s first partner pushes to regulate AI while Trump and tech bros thunder forward
California First Partner Jennifer Siebel Newsom recently convened a meeting that might rank among the top sweat-inducing nightmare scenarios for Silicon Valley’s tech bros — a group of the Golden State’s smartest, most powerful women brainstorming ways to regulate artificial intelligence.
Regulation is the last thing this particular California-dominated industry wants, and it’s spent a lot of cash at both the state and federal capitols to avoid it — including funding President Trump’s new ballroom. Regulation by a bunch of ladies, many mothers, with profit a distant second to our kids when it comes to concerns?
I’ll let you figure out how popular that is likely be with the Elon Musks, Peter Thiels and Mark Zuckerbergs of the world.
But as Siebel Newsom said, “If a platform reaches a child, it carries a responsibility to protect that child. Period. Our children’s safety can never be second to the bottom line.”
Agreed.
Siebel Newsom’s push for California to do more to regulate AI comes at the same time that Trump is threatening to stop states from overseeing the technology — and is ramping up a national effort that will open America’s coffers to AI moguls for decades to come.
Right now, the U.S. is facing its own nightmare scenario: the most powerful and world-changing technology we have seen in our lifetimes being developed and unleashed under almost no rules or restraints other than those chosen by the men who seek personal benefit from the outcome.
To put it simply, the plan right now seems to be that these tech barons will change the world as they see fit to make money for themselves, and we as taxpayers will pay them to do it.
“When decisions are mainly driven by power and profit instead of care and responsibility, we completely lose our way, and given the current alignment between tech titans and the federal administration, I believe we have lost our way,” Siebel Newsom said.
To recap what the way has been so far, Trump recently tried to sneak a 10-year ban on the ability of states to oversee the industry into his ridiculously named “Big Beautiful Bill,” but it was pulled out by a bipartisan group in the Senate — an early indicator of how inflammatory this issue is.
Faced with that unexpected blockade, Trump has threatened to sign a mysterious executive order crippling states’ ability to regulate AI and attempting to withhold funds from those that try.
Simultaneously, the most craven and cowardly among Republican congresspeople have suggested adding a 10-year ban to the upcoming defense policy bill that will almost certainly pass. Of course, Congress has also declined to move forward on any meaningful federal regulations itself, while technology CEOs including Trump frenemy Musk, Apple’s Tim Cook, Meta’s Zuckerberg and many others chum it up at fancy events inside the White House.
Which may be why this week, Trump announced the “Genesis Mission,” an executive order that seemingly will take the unimaginable vastness of government research efforts across disciplines and dump them into some kind of AI model that will “revolutionize the way scientific research is conducted.”
While I am sure that nothing could possibly go wrong in that scenario, that’s not actually the part that is immediately alarming. This is: The project will be overseen by Trump science and technology policy advisor Michael Kratsios, who holds no science or engineering degrees but was formerly a top executive for Thiel and former head of another AI company that works on warfare-related projects with the Pentagon.
Kratsios is considered one of the main reasons Trump has embraced the tech bros with such adoration in his second term. Genesis will almost certainly mean huge government contracts for these private-sector “partners,” fueling the AI boom (or bubble) with taxpayer dollars.
Siebel Newsom’s message in the face of all this is that we are not helpless — and California, as the home of many of these companies and the world’s fourth-largest economy in its own right, should have a say in how this technology advances, and make sure it does so in a way that benefits and protects us all.
“California is uniquely positioned to lead the effort in showing innovation and responsibility and how they can go hand in hand,” she said. “I’ve always believed that stronger guardrails are actually good for business over the long term. Safer tech means better outcomes for consumers and greater consumer trust and loyalty.”
But the pressure to cave under the might of these companies is intense, as Siebel Newsom’s husband knows.
Gov. Gavin Newsom has spent the last few years trying to thread the needle on state legislation that offers some sort of oversight while allowing for the innovation that rightly keeps California and the United States competitive on the global front. The tech industry has spent millions in lobbying, legal fights and pressure campaigns to water down even the most benign of efforts, even threatening to leave the state if rules are enacted.
Last year, the industry unsuccessfully tried to stop Senate Bill 53, landmark legislation signed by Newsom. It’s a basic transparency measure on “frontier” AI models that requires companies to have safety and security protocols and report known “catastrophic” risks, such as when these models show tendencies toward behavior that could kill more than 50 people — which they have, believe it or not.
But the industry was able to stop other efforts. Newsom vetoed both Senate Bill 7, which would have required employers to notify workers when using AI in hiring and promotions; and Assembly Bill 1064, which would have barred companion chatbot operators from making these AI systems available to minors if they couldn’t prove they wouldn’t do things like encourage kids to self-harm, which again, these chatbots have done.
Still, California (along with New York and a few other states) has pushed forward, and speaking at Siebel Newsom’s event, the governor said that last session, “we took a number of at-bats at this and we made tremendous progress.”
He promised more.
“We have agency. We can shape the future,” he said. “We have a unique responsibility as it relates to these tools of technology, because, well, this is the center of that universe.”
If Newsom does keep pushing forward, it will be in no small part because of Siebel Newsom, and women like her, who keep the counter-pressure on.
In fact, it was another powerful mom, First Lady Melania Trump, who forced the federal government into a tiny bit of action this year when she championed the “Take It Down Act”, which requires tech companies to quickly remove nonconsensual explicit images. I sincerely doubt her husband would have signed that particular bill without her urging.
So, if we are lucky, the efforts of women like Siebel Newsom may turn out to be the bit of powerful sanity needed to put a check on the world-domination fantasies of the broligarchy.
Because tech bros are not yet all-powerful, despite their best efforts, and certainly not yet immune to the power of moms.
Politics
‘Squad’ member mourns ’empty’ Thanksgiving seats due to ‘loved ones abducted & deported,’ ‘mass incarceration’
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
As Americans around the nation celebrated Thanksgiving on Thursday, progressive Democratic Rep. Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts — a member of the left-wing cadre of House lawmakers known as the “Squad” — indicated that there were vacant seats at some tables due to people being “abducted & deported.”
“This Thanksgiving, I’m thinking of our neighbors with an empty seat at the dinner table. Those with loved ones abducted & deported from their families. Those we lost due to gun violence, mass incarceration, & more. A more just America is possible, if we fight for it,” Pressley said in the post.
President Donald Trump’s administration has been cracking down on illegal immigration.
DEM REP CONDEMNS TRUMP ADMIN FOR BEING ‘CRUEL ENOUGH’ TO ISSUE WORK REQUIREMENTS FOR FOOD STAMPS
Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., listens during a news conference near the U.S. Capitol Building on Sept. 25, 2025 in Washington, D.C. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
Democratic Rep. Summer Lee of Pennsylvania, another squad member, said that Thanksgiving reminds some people of “stolen land and broken treaties.”
“Thanksgiving is a time of gratitude and community for many, but it’s also a reminder of stolen land and broken treaties for others. As we give thanks today, let’s also honor Indigenous communities by committing to the fight for sovereignty, justice, and freedom,” Lee declared in a post on Thursday.
SQUAD 2.0: MEET AMERICA’S NEXT WAVE OF RADICAL DEMOCRATS SHAPING THE PARTY’S FUTURE
Ranking Member Rep. Summer Lee, D-Pa., looks on as DHS Inspector General Joseph Cuffari testifies before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Subcommittee on Federal Law Enforcement in the Rayburn House Office Building on July 23, 2025, in Washington, D.C. (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
In a post last month, Pressley indicated that Americans are living “on stolen land.”
“Happy Indigenous People’s Day! We are all on stolen land,” Pressley declared in the post.
‘SQUAD’ DEM LAUNCHES COMEBACK HOUSE BID AFTER ANTI-ISRAEL VIEWS TORPEDOED CAMPAIGN: ‘WE NEED A FIGHTER’
Ayanna Pressley speaks during the SXSW Conference & Festivals held at the Austin Convention Center on March 9, 2025, in Austin, Texas (Amy E. Price/SXSW Conference & Festivals via Getty Images)
“And while Republicans try to whitewash American history, we acknowledge our country’s role in inflicting trauma on our Indigenous neighbors. We’ll keep celebrating their contributions, centering Native voices in our policymaking, & building a more just, equitable future,” she added.
-
Science1 week agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes
-
Ohio3 days agoSnow set to surge across Northeast Ohio, threatening Thanksgiving travel
-
Northeast1 week agoCamelot or Cringe?: Meet JFK’s grandson turned congressional candidate for the scrolling generation
-
Southeast1 week agoAlabama teacher arrested, fired after alleged beating of son captured on camera