- US, Nikkei stock futures, West Texas Crude futures affected
- Cooling issue at CyrusOne data centre in Chicago caused outage
- Traders flying blind without prices, expect market volatility
- Some FX trading resumes on EBS
World
No, this video doesn't show turbulent Singapore Airlines flight
The video is being shared widely on social media and even in news reports in the context of the Singapore Airlines flight that hit severe turbulence and left one man dead, but the footage has been misattributed.
A video doing the rounds on Facebook supposedly shows the inside of the Singapore Airlines plane that was travelling from London to Singapore when it was hit by severe turbulence on 21 May.
It shows a passenger’s viewpoint as the plane is suddenly violently rocked, sending a member of the cabin crew crashing into the ceiling.
Refreshments and personal belongings are also thrown into the air, and luggage falls from the overhead lockers, hitting the screaming passengers.
Social media users are sharing the video with captions linking it to the Singapore Airlines incident, which left a 73-year-old British man dead and several others injured.
However, the footage doesn’t show the inside of that plane at all. Instead, it depicts a passenger flight from Kosovo to Switzerland in 2019.
We know this because Euronews itself reported on it at the time.
It was reported that 10 people were injured on that flight, operated by Bulgaria’s ALK Airlines, including the flight attendant who was thrown into the ceiling.
The incident happened about 20 minutes before the plane was due to land after it hit a pocket of severe turbulence.
A similar thing happened to the Singapore Airlines flight, but they are clearly separate events.
The plane bound for Singapore was battered by severe turbulence and suffered a sudden drop in altitude, causing passengers and items to hit the ceiling and be thrown about the aircraft.
Eyewitnesses say that certain passengers smashed into the overhead lockers and parts of the ceiling where lights and oxygen masks are stored, denting them and breaking straight through them.
Others had severe injuries, with blood pouring down their faces. In all, about 60 passengers were said to be injured, seven of which were in critical condition.
The Boeing plane, carrying 211 passengers and 18 crew members, was diverted to Bangkok, Thailand, where it landed safely.
Some social media users have been quick to point the finger at Boeing, which has suffered huge blows to its reputation in recent years over various plane malfunctions.
However, investigations into what happened on the Singapore Airlines flight are ongoing, and as things stand, the incident was caused purely by the severe turbulence that the plane flew into.
Continue Reading
World
Hong Kong mourns victims of blaze as search for remains continues
At least 128 people died and 200 remain missing after the towers housing 4,600 people were engulfed by flames.
Published On 29 Nov 2025
People in Hong Kong are mourning the deaths of at least 128 people who died in the region’s largest blaze in decades in an eight-apartment residential complex.
The flags outside the central government offices were lowered to half-mast on Saturday as Hong Kong leader John Lee, other officials and civil servants, all dressed in black, gathered to pay their respects to those lost at the Wang Fuk Court estate since the fire on Wednesday.
list of 3 itemsend of listRecommended Stories
Condolence books have been set up at 18 points around the former British colony for the public to pay their respects, officials said.
At the site of the residential complex, families and mourners gathered to lay flowers.
By Friday, only 39 of the victims had been identified, leaving families with the morbid task of looking at the photographs of the deceased taken by rescue workers.
The number of victims could still dramatically rise as some 200 people remain missing, with authorities declaring the end of the search for survivors on Friday.
But identification work and search for remains continues, as Lee said the government is setting up a fund with 300 million Hong Kong dollars ($39m) in capital to help the residents.
The local community is also pitching in, with hundreds of volunteers mobilising to help the victims, including by distributing food and other essential items. Some of China’s biggest companies have pledged donations as well.
The Wang Fuk Court fire marks Hong Kong’s deadliest since 1948, when 176 people died in a warehouse blaze.
At least 11 people have been arrested in connection with the tragedy, according to local authorities.
They include two directors and an engineering consultant of the firm identified by the government as doing maintenance on the towers for more than a year, who are accused of manslaughter for using unsafe materials.
The towers, located in the northern district of Tai Po, were undergoing renovations, with the highly flammable bamboo scaffolding and green mesh used to cover the building believed to be a major facilitator of the quick spread of the blaze.
Most of the victims were found in two towers in the complex, with seven of the eight towers suffering extensive damage, including from flammable foam boards used by the maintenance company to seal and protect windows.
The deadly incident has prompted comparisons with the blaze at the Grenfell Tower in London that killed 72 people in 2017, with the fire blamed on flammable cladding on the tower’s exterior, as well as on failings by the government and the construction industry.
“Our hearts go out to all those affected by the horrific fire in Hong Kong,” the Grenfell United survivors’ group said in a short statement on social media.
“To the families, friends and communities, we stand with you. You are not alone.”
World
Global futures reopen after exchange operator CME suffers multi-hour disruption
SINGAPORE/LONDON, Nov 28 (Reuters) – Global futures markets were disrupted for several hours on Friday after CME Group, the world’s largest exchange operator, suffered one of its longest outages in years, halting trading across stocks, bonds, commodities and currencies.
By 1335 GMT, trading in foreign exchange, stock and bond futures , , as well as other products had resumed, after having been knocked out for over 11 hours, according to LSEG data.
Sign up here.
CME blamed the outage on a cooling failure at data centres run by CyrusOne, which said its Chicago-area facility had affected services for customers including CME (CME.O).
The disruption stopped trading in major currency pairs on CME’s EBS platform, as well as benchmark futures for West Texas Intermediate crude , Nasdaq 100 , Nikkei , palm oil and gold , according to LSEG data.
‘A BLACK EYE’
Trading volumes have been thinned out this week by the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday and with dealers looking to close positions for the end of the month, the outage posed a risk of spurring volatility, market participants said.
“It’s a black eye to the CME and probably an overdue reminder of the importance of market structure and how interconnected all these are,” Ben Laidler, head of equity strategy at Bradesco BBI, said.
“We complacently take for granted much of the timing is frankly not great. It’s month end, a lot of things get rebalanced.”
Still, the timing of Friday’s outage, during a shortened U.S. equity trading session with thinner volumes, helped limit its market impact.
“If there was to be a glitch day, today’s probably a good day to have it,” Joe Saluzzi, co-manager of trading at Themis Trading in Chatham, New Jersey, said.
Futures are a mainstay of financial markets and are used by dealers, speculators and businesses wishing to hedge or hold positions in a wide range of underlying assets. Without these and other instruments, brokers were left flying blind and many were reluctant to trade contracts with no live prices for hours on end.
“Beyond the immediate risk of traders being unable to close positions – and the potential costs that follow – the incident raises broader concerns about reliability,” said Axel Rudolph, senior technical analyst at trading platform IG.
A few European brokerages said earlier in the day they had been unable to offer trading in some products on certain futures contracts.
“My anticipation is that life goes on but everybody will have yet another look at their data centre arrangements and invest more in ensuring reliable supply because the importance of data center uptime is higher and higher,” Mikhail Zverev, Portfolio Manager at Amati Global Investors in London.
Regulators are tracking the situation, with both the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and Securities and Exchange Commission confirming they are aware of the issue and conducting ongoing surveillance.
BIGGEST EXCHANGE OPERATOR
CME is the biggest exchange operator by market value and says it offers the widest range of benchmark products, spanning rates, equities, metals, energy, cryptocurrencies and agriculture.
Average daily derivatives volume was 26.3 million contracts in October, CME said earlier this month.
The CME outage on Friday comes more than a decade after the operator had to shut electronic trade for some agricultural contracts in April 2014 due to technical problems, which at the time sent traders back onto the floor.
More recently in 2024 outages at LSEG and Switzerland’s exchange operator briefly interrupted markets.
CME’s own shares were up 0.4% in premarket trading.
Reporting by Saqib Iqbal Ahmed and Laura Matthews in New York, Chris Prentice in Washington, Ankur Banerjee, Tom Westbrook, Rae Wee and Florence Tan in Singapore, Amanda Cooper, Lucy Raitano, Vidya Ranganathan and Alun John in London; Toby Sterling in Amsterdam and Pranav Kashyap in Bangalore; Editing by Alison Williams, Elaine Hardcastle and Alistair Bell
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
World
Ukrainian official Yermak resigns as corruption probe encircles Zelenskyy
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced that head of the office of the president of Ukraine, Andriy Yermak, had written a letter of resignation.
“I am grateful to Andriy for always presenting the Ukrainian position in the negotiation track exactly as it should be. It has always been a patriotic position,” Zelenskyy noted, according to a translation of his comments in a video.
ZELENSKYY’S TOP AIDE ANDRIY YERMAK FACES CRITICISM AND SOME PRAISE AS WAR WITH RUSSIA DRAGS ON
Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine Andriy Yermak talks to the press at the U.S. Mission to International Organizations in Geneva, Switzerland, Sunday, Nov. 23, 2025. (Martial Trezzini/Keystone via AP)
“But I want there to be no rumors and speculation. As for the new head of the office, tomorrow I will hold consultations with those who can head this institution,” the foreign leader noted.
Yermak’s home had been raided by anti-corruption investigators.
MOMENTUM BUILDS IN UKRAINE PEACE PUSH, BUT EXPERTS FEAR PUTIN WON’T BUDGE
President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy participates in a briefing at the Office of the President following a staff meeting in Kyiv, Ukraine, on Nov. 7, 2025. (Pavlo Bahmut/Ukrinform/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
“Today, NABU and SAPO are indeed conducting procedural actions at my home. The investigators have no obstacles. They were given full access to the apartment, my lawyers are on site, interacting with law enforcement officers. From my side, I have full cooperation,” Yermak noted the Ukrainian-language post on Friday.
‘GOLDEN TOILET’ SCANDAL: ZELENSKYY FACES DEEPEST CRISIS YET AS ALLIES ACCUSED IN $100M WARTIME SCHEME
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy meets with President Donald Trump in Washington D.C., on Aug. 19, 2025. ( Ukrainian Presidency / Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
President Donald Trump’s administration has been aiming to help broker peace between Russia and Ukraine.
Fox News’ Yulia Wallenfang contributed to this report.
-
Science7 days agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
News1 week agoAnalysis: Is Trump a lame duck now? | CNN Politics
-
World1 week agoPoland to close last Russian consulate over ‘unprecedented act of sabotage’
-
World1 week agoZelenskiy meets Turkish president as word emerges of new US peace push
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes