Denver, CO
Denver wants to move those experiencing homelessness directly into permanent housing
DENVER — Hundreds of unhoused people could be moved directly into permanent leased housing under a new program the city is considering.
The city began testing the Street to Lease program earlier this year as part of Mayor Mike Johnston’s ongoing efforts to fight homelessness.
During the pilot program, the city moved 12 people from a small encampment in Council District 8 directly into permanent housing.
Right now, unhoused people who accept city services are moved into temporary housing.
The city wants to use $5 million in pandemic funding to expand the Street to Lease program.
This would allow the city to move 250 unhoused people directly into permanent housing within 30 days of outreach.
Most of the money, about $4.2 million, would be used to pay their rent and utilities for up to a year, city officials said.
“This is a program that HOST (Department of Housing Stability) has intended to deploy for some time,” said Cole Chandler, the mayor’s senior homelessness advisor.
Chandler, who appeared before the city council’s housing committee on Wednesday, said money had already been set aside for the program.
“We’re now at a place where we’re ready to bring it forward and implement that,” said Chander.
The city plans to contract with Housing Connector, a nonprofit focused on helping people access affordable housing.
Housing Connector will help the city identify available housing units. They will also help process payments.
“They’re able to really be a strong liaison. And if there are challenges that are coming up with an individual in the housing unit, they’re able to work through those and sort through those with the landlord,” Chandler said.
Like with District 8, the city would focus on providing permanent housing to people living at smaller encampments throughout the city.
“The goal is to spread them out in the city of Denver, but also give them options so that they can choose where they want to live,” said Will Goodale with Housing Connector.
Denver wants to move those experiencing homelessness directly into permanent housing
Councilwoman Amanda Sawyer said the program appeared to be more promising than other homelessness programs the city spent money on.
But she and others were concerned about how the city plans to pay for the program long-term, given that pandemic funding is running out and city agencies having to cut their budgets due to the immigration crisis.
“You cannot have sustainable programs without a sustainable funding source,” said Sawyer.
Councilwoman Stacie Gilmore told Chandler there was not a lot of time left to figure out how the city would pay for this program and others that depend on pandemic funding.
“The majority of those funds are one-time funds,” said Gilmore. “They’re not going to magically appear again, ever.”
Chandler said city officials were having “critical conversations” about its long-term spending plan.
“We’re evaluating that as we look forward into the 2025, 2026 and beyond budget,” Chandler said. “I think that this is a program that is worth investing in and is worth bringing into our community.”
Gilmore also pressed Chandler about the overall spending of the mayor’s All In Mile High Homeless initiative.
“We were told by May 10 we would have the numbers around what is the All In Mile High’s true operating costs,” said Gilmore.
She asked Chandler if he could tell her the annual costs of that program.
“I mean you should know it,” said Gilmore.
“We’re still actively working on that,” Chandler replied. “We have a presentation for [the finance and governance committee] on June 18 where we’re planning to bring those items forward,” Chandler said.
Gilmore has been seeking the spending numbers for months and said it was disappointing that she even had to ask that question in a televised committee meeting.
“This is bordering on ridiculousness now. It’s embarrassing not to be able to tell a constituent what this costs,” said Gilmore. “It was early May and now June.”
Councilwoman Flor Alvidrez said she feels hopeful about the Street to Lease program and wants to know how the city is going to get participants into a position where they can pay their own rent.
“I feel like if people are investing something in this program, they’ll get more out of the program,” said Alvidrez.
Chandler said the city does not require people in its homelessness programs to meet with case managers.
But he said there are plenty available, about one case manager for every 20 people.
“While it’s non-compulsory, we’re working actively with individuals to help them get access to services,” said Chandler.
The city council’s housing committee advanced the city’s $5 million request on Wednesday, but some council members said they were on the fence about whether to give it final approval due to concerns about its long-term funding.
The Follow Up
What do you want Denver7 to follow up on? Is there a story, topic or issue you want us to revisit? Let us know with the contact form below.
Denver, CO
Renck: Von Miller will always be a Bronco, even if playing for Denver again unlikely
ASHBURN, VA. – Von Miller knew the answer. But he could not resist asking the question.
A free agent last summer, training camp approaching, Miller had not decided on a new team. Garett Bolles, in attendance at a Von’s Vision event in Colorado, urged his good friend to call the Broncos.
Von had not played in Denver since 2021. Russell Wilson had him on a group text with Chandler Jones in 2022, asking for him to return. Von wisely sidestepped that “disaster of a season,” signing with the Buffalo Bills as Denver added Randy Gregory.
Three years later, there was a new coach and new quarterback. Maybe the remodeling needed an old antique to complete the project.
Von picked up his iPhone and dialed general manager George Paton.
“When Garett brought it up, I was like, ‘Come on, man.’ You have Nik Bonitto and Jonathon Cooper. But I started thinking, ‘You have all these people on the team and there’s not a spot for me? I know there probably won’t be, but let me check and see.’ I talked with George and I already had an idea how it was going to go. And that is exactly what he said.”
There was no room for the 36-year-old Miller, not with backups Jonah Elliss and Dondrea Tillman capable of playing special teams. The conversation with Paton, the man who traded him to the Rams in 2021, was productive, but not for the reason he expected.
“It was more about me taking the steps to get into a front office. He knows I want to be a GM someday (a goal inspired and encouraged by Bills GM Brandon Beane),” Miller told The Post on Friday. “I am still happy I did it. That was this season. What about next year?”
Sitting below the No. 24 name plate — an ode to Champ Bailey and Kobe Bryant — in the Washington Commanders locker room, Von flashed that devilish grin, the one that appeared so often after his franchise-record 110.5 sacks with the Broncos.
Truth be told, he would “love to return” to the Commanders. Would like a “rain check” after a lost season because of a battery of injuries to stars, including quarterback Jayden Daniels. Daniels is why Von chose Washington over the Seahawks.
“Nothing against Sam Darnold, but it was Jayden Daniels. In my opinion, it was the best situation,” Miller said. “They were coming off the NFC Championship Game. And (coach) Dan Quinn had a plan for me as a veteran player. He gets it.”
Of course, nothing has worked out, save for Von delivering as an effective situational rusher. He has five sacks in 11 games. He wants a third Super Bowl ring. But he is also motivated to collect eight more sacks, and have his sons, Valor and Victory, gain a better understanding of what their dad does for a living.
That is why he fully intends to play next season. Get that number, and he will reach 142.5 for his career, ranking sixth all-time.
“Myles Garrett is like 14 sacks behind me, and he came into the league six years after me. I don’t want to make the top 10 and get knocked out,” Miller said. “I want to stay there for 10 or 20 years. So, yeah, I definitely want to play another year, and who knows after that?”
With Washington hosting the Broncos on Sunday night, Miller cannot avoid becoming nostalgic. He never wanted to leave, but knew his time was up after he called a captains meeting with coach Vic Fangio and Paton to discuss turning the season around and aiming for a division title.
“It fell on deaf ears. What I realized later is that we were were so far removed from that. That’s all I knew from playing with Peyton Manning. But we had guys who couldn’t relate. It’s hard to get somebody to miss something they never had,” Miller said. “I was talking about winning a Super Bowl, and they were like, ‘What? We are try to win a single game.’ ”
A few weeks later, Von was shipped out. He was surprised, the news bringing him to tears. He still wonders if he would have played his entire career in Denver if the Broncos had drafted someone like Bo Nix.
“We never had a quarterback for a lot of years. No one special or elite,” Miller said. “And Bo fell in their lap. And you’ve got him with one of the greatest minds in NFL history, Sean Payton. And they have Courtland Sutton, Troy Franklin, and Marvin Mims, and that offensive line is way better than what we had in 2015. This year’s team is special. And if Bo Nix continues to take those leaps.”
Miller catches himself. There he goes again. He cannot help it. When it comes to the Broncos, Von is a fan.
He spent a decade in Denver, morphing into a future Hall of Famer. He made mistakes, grew up before our eyes, became a father — his third child, a daughter named Virtue, is due in January — a leader and a champion.
“I constantly reflect back on those times. The orange and blue, that’s my squad, that’s my city. Broncos Country, those are my fans. I think they are the main reason I miss it,” Miller said. “Anytime I post something on Instagram, they comment, ‘Come back to Denver, we love.’ They are 90 percent of why I still love the Denver Broncos and why I will always root for them.”
Von will always be a Bronco whether he plays for the team or not. He can always sign a one-day contract and retire in Denver before heading to Canton.
Honestly, it is amazing Von is still playing. His legacy is secure.
But this season explains it. There is a fountain pen. Von sits in the front of meetings — “I am that guy now” — taking down every word. He wants to be challenged, even though the easiest thing would be to tip his helmet and walk off into a Broncos orange-colored sunset.
“I take more notes now than I ever did. I date it, put a timestamp on it. Man, I love everything about the sport, the locker room, the training room, the weight room, the film room,” Miller said. “I have been playing football for 26 years. This is my life. If I don’t have to leave, I am not going to.”
Denver, CO
Denver area events for Nov. 28
Denver, CO
Three people injured in Denver in shooting on Broadway
The Denver Police Department is investigating after three people were injured in a shooting late Wednesday night.
According to DPD, officers were called to the scene in the 1100 block of N. Broadway around 10:30 p.m. When they arrived, the officers found two people who had been injured. Both were taken to the hospital for treatment, but officials did not know the extent of their injuries.
A third victim was later found with what authorities said were minor injuries. That person was not taken to the hospital.
Investigators said they are working to develop suspect information.
-
Science7 days agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
News1 week agoAnalysis: Is Trump a lame duck now? | CNN Politics
-
World1 week agoPoland to close last Russian consulate over ‘unprecedented act of sabotage’
-
World1 week agoZelenskiy meets Turkish president as word emerges of new US peace push
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes