Connect with us

Denver, CO

A day at Denver’s Valdez Elementary with 2 newly arrived migrant students

Published

on

A day at Denver’s Valdez Elementary with 2 newly arrived migrant students


Fourth graders streamed one at a time through the playground door at Denver’s Valdez Elementary, a snaking jumble of energy and untied shoelaces.

Most bounded up the stairs to their classrooms. Only a few stopped to give a quick side hug to the staff member who was squinting in the sun and holding the door. Two of the huggers were Jesus and Leiker, who arrived in Denver from Venezuela a few months ago.

The boys, ages 9 and 10, are among the more than 38,000 migrants who have come to Denver in the past year after fleeing political and economic crises in their home countries.

Some of the new arrivals are families with children like Jesus and Leiker. Denver Public Schools has enrolled more than 3,200 of these young people since the start of the school year.

Advertisement

A majority arrived after the October cutoff date that determines how much per-student funding DPS gets from the state, creating a financial shortfall for the state’s largest district and causing schools to scramble for resources.

But not all schools. The new students are concentrated in a couple dozen of DPS’ more than 200 schools, which the district has been calling hotspots. The main reason is because the schools offer specialized instruction in both English and Spanish.

Valdez, also known as Escuela Valdez, has a longstanding dual language program. It’s also right up the street from a city-run shelter inside a Quality Inn, which Principal Jessica Buckley said everyone simply calls “The Quality.” Valdez, which had about 400 students last year, has welcomed more than 100 new students in the past few months.

Jesus and Leiker met at The Quality, where both of their families were staying, and became fast friends. They say they are like brothers: “Somos como hermanos.”

This is what one school day looked like recently for Jesus and Leiker, whose last names Chalkbeat is withholding to protect their identities as they navigate life in a new country.

Advertisement

Read the full report from our partners at Chalkbeat Colorado.

Chalkbeat is a nonprofit news site covering educational change in public schools.



Source link

Denver, CO

Family identifies teenage victim of deadly shooting at recreation center in Denver

Published

on

Family identifies teenage victim of deadly shooting at recreation center in Denver


Family members have identified the teenage victim of the deadly shooting at Denver’s Montbello Recreation Center as 14-year-old Mikail Nasir Khalid Payne, who went by Nasir. According to the family, Nasir was standing up for his older brother in an altercation when the shooting happened.

The shooting happened Thursday night at the Montbello Recreation Center off E. 53rd Ave in northeast Denver. Denver Police say a boy has since been arrested and is being held in custody for investigation of first-degree murder.

Nasir’s uncle, Sareef Aleem, said his two nephews went to the rec center on Thursday night. He said Nasir’s older brother was there when the shooting happened and witnessed it.

“Two kids confronted Hassan, and they put their hands on him, and as soon as Nasir stood up, another kid, a third kid that was on the side, blindsided him, and just shot him,” said Aleem. “It’s very difficult. I got the call late last night, we’re just shocked.”

Advertisement

Mikail Nasir Khalid Payne

Sareef Aleem


Police say those involved knew one another, and the victim, Nasir, died at the scene. Police also say it was an isolated incident.

A recreation center is known to be a safe space for many kids after school or during the summer, Nasir’s family says.

Advertisement

“They were created to be a safe place for our kids to go, where they didn’t have to worry about getting shot or assaulted,” said Aleem. “We need to check our kids, check their bags, check their rooms and make sure that they’re taking basketballs to the rec center and not pistols.”

Jolon Clark, Executive Director of Parks and Recreation, said in a statement, “Recreation centers are more than facilities. They are gathering places where community is built, where young people learn and grow and where families come together. They have long been and remain the safest place for our youth to gather, which makes today so much harder.”

Aleem said his nephew, Nasir, was one month away from turning 15. He added that Nasir was respectful, kind, and had an entrepreneurial spirit.

montbello-recreation-center-shooting-victim-3.jpg

Sareef Aleem    

Advertisement


“He used to help his family with their landscaping business on a regular basis. He also used to sell little perfume oils right here in this neighborhood and at the car wash over there. People knew him and respected him,” said Aleem.

“He was well-mannered, courteous, excellent character,” said Imam Abdur-Rahim Ali.

Abdur-Rahim Ali and others gathered at an Islamic Center on Friday, a day of worship for the Islamic community, where Nasir and his family visit often.

“I knew him from coming here for services. He was very intelligent, respectful individual. He came in and made prayer on a frequent basis, and just a respectful youth,” said Abdur-Rahim Ali. “The main day of worship for us is on Fridays, so many people came today, and we told them what happened. Of course, it’s a shock.”

Aleem said in Islamic tradition, family members try to bury their loved ones within 24 hours. As Memorial Day Weekend is just ahead, he added it’s been a burden on the family to take care of before the holiday.

Advertisement

“His family is distraught right now. They’re trying to process what happened. His family just wants everybody to know that he was a good kid, and he didn’t deserve this,” said Aleem. “It’s just a shame that he’s not around to fulfill his dreams.”

The family is also raising money to cover funeral costs.

As the investigation is underway, the Montbello Recreation Center is also closed until further notice.

montbello-recreation-center.jpg

CBS

Advertisement


In a statement from Mayor Mike Johnston, he said, “No statement can capture the grief we feel today. Our hearts are broken. To the family of the victim and the entire Montbello community, know that you have our deepest sympathies and our unwavering support.”

In a statement from the Denver City Council, they said: “The Denver City Council joins Mayor Mike Johnston in extending heartfelt sympathies to the victim’s family, Montbello residents, young people, and the staff at the Montbello Recreation Center following Thursday’s tragic shooting.”

Denver Police are asking anyone with information about the shooting to call 720‑913‑7867.



Source link

Continue Reading

Denver, CO

Agency releases claim on $5 million of $7.5 million owed for new Broncos stadium

Published

on

Agency releases claim on  million of .5 million owed for new Broncos stadium


When the Colorado Department of Transportation’s investment arm had the chance to buy the idle Burnham Yard from Union Pacific in early 2021 for $50 million, money was tight.

CDOT turned to the Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade for a $7.5 million loan, which, together with a $7.5 million down payment from the High Performance Transportation Enterprise or HPTE, allowed a $35 million commercial bank loan to move forward in May of that year.

The deal was touted as a once-in-a-generation opportunity that would allow Interstate 25 between Colfax and Santa Fe to be widened and straightened. The purchase could improve transit access, including serving as a potential hub for a Front Range Passenger Rail line.

Not only would frustrated commuters gain back the countless hours of time they were losing to a poor road design, but chances were good that CDOT could make money on flipping the land it didn’t need.

Advertisement

Definitely enough to repay OEDIT, Shoshana Lew, CDOT’s executive director at the time, reassured commissioners.

None of that is happening.

CDOT will sell the 58 acres of Burnham Yard to the Denver Broncos, who are looking to build a new stadium on the site, for $45.8 million, less than what it paid.

After a deeper dive, CDOT nixed its original plans for transit improvements and found the land was more contaminated than expected. It also realized that straightening out I-25 was going to cost billions of dollars it didn’t have.

But not all was lost. A $4 billion football stadium and entertainment district will go into the area, with transit upgrades to serve that new use.

Advertisement

And as for the $7.5 million loan that is owed to OEDIT, only $2.5 million will go back into the state’s Strategic Fund, which is used to recruit employers and fund economic development programs across the state.

The fund has about $3.8 million left.

“What we are asking for today is to convert $5 million of the $7.5 million overall loan into a grant to make the rest of the infrastructure commitments that we’ve made happen,” Lisa Kaufmann, strategic adviser to Gov. Jared Polis, told the Economic Development Commission on Thursday morning.

The money would help fund a relocation of the main rail line, improve road access from Interstate 25, and eliminate three at-grade rail crossings.

For the “modest investment” in public infrastructure, the state would get billions of dollars in private investment, Kaufmann said.

Advertisement

And if that weren’t enough to sway the commissioners, Kaufmann reminded them that the reason the Strategic Fund even had the dollars to lend out was that she had lobbied to get $40 million in American Rescue Plan Act funds in there.



Source link

Continue Reading

Denver, CO

Police investigate shooting at Montbello Recreation Center

Published

on

Police investigate shooting at Montbello Recreation Center


DENVER (KDVR) — Police are on the scene of a shooting on Thursday at the Montbello Recreation Center.

The Denver Police Department initially reported the shooting happened in the 15000 block of East 23rd Avenue.

Police said a juvenile was pronounced dead at the scene.

There is no suspect in custody at this time, but officers said they are gathering suspect information.

Advertisement

Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to contact Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867.

This is developing news. FOX31 will update.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending