Colorado
Keeler: Sorry, Olivia Dunne. MLB ace Paul Skenes’ heart belongs to Air Force, Colorado, wild blue yonder. “I owe them that much”
Don’t flip out, Livvy Dunne. Apologies, bayou moms. Paul Skenes may have an LSU girlfriend and an LSU baseball card. He’s still, deep down, a Zoomie at heart.
“Anything that I can do, or any of us can do, to bring eyes to the Air Force Academy is good,” Skenes, the Pittsburgh Pirates pitching phenom and former AFA baseball star told a crowded circle of reporters earlier this weekend at Coors Field, where he was supposed to pitch against the Rockies, but won’t.
“Especially with how much it affected me. But I owe them that much.
“So I want to keep that going as long as I can because the tough part is, for me, I get labeled as ‘The LSU Guy,’ because obviously I got drafted out of there. But I’m just as much an Air Force guy as I am an LSU guy.”
Skenes found out last week that his scheduled spot in the rotation, Father’s Day at Coors Field, some 90 minutes — if traffic’s kind — up the road from the Academy, was being shifted from Sunday to Monday.
So he went back to his old AFA haunts on Friday morning. He took some Bucs teammates with him, including rotation mate Jared Jones, to see the old stomping grounds. They caught up with AFA baseball coach Mike Kazlausky. They saw his cousin, who’s now a glider instructor at the Academy. (Jones tried the virtual reality glider and landed successfully, Coach Kaz told me.) They walked around the Terrazzo. Mitchell Hall. The War Memorial.
It was like dancing with as long lost love. While the cameras circled Skenes, who’s sporting a 3-0 record, a 2.43 ERA, drawing comparisons to Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg along the way, the 6-foot-6 man-mountain with the rocket right arm almost got misty-eyed while talking about his Colorado Springs days. And what could’ve been.
“Definitely, as soon as you drive down there, there were some memories that popped up,” said Skenes, who played at Air Force as a freshman and sophomore (’21 and ’22) before transferring to LSU, the way station to becoming the No. 1 pick in the 2023 MLB Draft.
“Pretty cool, though, to get to go back now as a major-league player and think, ‘Wow, this is where it all started for me.’ Yeah, I was thinking about how I could’ve just graduated from there.’”
He might’ve, if the wingtips in Washington could ever figure out a consistent strike zone when it comes to service academies and pro sports. Last fall, the national defense bill that eventually passed a divided Congress included a provision that said any “agreement by a cadet or midshipman to play professional sport(s) constitutes a breach of service obligation.” In layman’s terms, that translates to two years of active duty, minimum, before the clock starts on a potential athletic career. Although the whole two-years-of-service-first thing has shifted back and forth at least a half-dozen times — required, then not required, then required again — over the last eight years or so.
Knowing that a junior year could be a mess, Kazlausky planned ahead. After Skenes hit .410, posted a 1.183 OPS and recorded 11 saves as a freshman catcher-closer with the Falcons, Coach Kaz pleaded to then-AFA superintendent Richard Clark to defer the required service time.
“I said, General Clark, this is the David Robinson of Air Force,” Kazlausky recalled. “‘This is the greatest athlete to ever come through our school … And unfortunately, the answer was going to be, ‘No.’”
Skenes, whose uncles served in the Coast Guard and Navy, didn’t ever want to flee the Wild Blue Yonder. Coach Kaz told him to go with his head on this one. Not his heart.
“He’s an old soul,” Kazlausky said. “He’s been put on God’s green earth to make a difference. And I’m not just talking about baseball.”
The big righty wound up with the Tigers, where he won the Dick Howser Award, was named the Most Outstanding Player of the College World Series and landed a $9.2-million signing bonus from Pittsburgh, the largest in MLB draft history.
“It shows you the type of coach that Coach Kaz is, to encourage him to pursue that journey and that experience,” Aerik Joe, his old AFA roommate, told me by phone from Japan on Saturday. “As well as what it says about Paul.”
Skenes stories are the stuff of legend now. When big Paul saw an opposing Mountain West women’s soccer player kneeling during the national anthem, he allegedly ran into the baseball locker room, grabbed the Stars & Stripes and brought it out to the field, waving it proudly during the match.
In 2021, after an attack in Afghanistan had taken the lives of 13 U.S. service members, at 4:45 p.m. the national anthem was played and the flag brought down. Skenes and his baseball teammates stood at attention. Meanwhile, up a nearby hill, Skenes could see two football managers in a video booth slightly slouched, distracted, eyes off the flag. When the anthem was finished, Skene went over and berated the managers for slacking.
“The kid’s an American patriot,” offered Ryan Rutter, Skenes’ commanding officer back in the day. “I don’t know any other way to say it. At a young age, he showed his colors to be red, white and blue.”
Things came so easy for a young Skenes, even at one of the most rigorous undergraduate environments in the country, that Rutter once asked the future No. 1 pick if he had any weaknesses that bothered him. This from a guy who hit .367 at Air Force and batted leadoff while throwing in the high-90s.
“I’m not that fast,” Skenes replied. “I wish I was faster.”
Rutter still chuckles at that one.
“Paul was ready to be a second lieutenant when he showed up here,” Rutter recalled. “He was ready to be an officer in the Air Force.”
Old classmates at AFA sent him photos from graduation last month. His mom still talks to their parents. He’s a patriot first, but pitching pays the bills.
“A big part of me wishes that I could graduate from there and be doing what I’m doing right now,” Skenes said. “But that’s not super compatible in a lot of ways. But (I) kind of got the best of both worlds.”
Want more sports news? Sign up for the Sports Omelette to get all our analysis on Denver’s teams.
Colorado
Denver flights grounded, hundreds delayed as storms hit Colorado’s Eastern Plains
All flights at Denver International Airport are grounded because of high winds, causing nearly 700 flight delays Thursday as thunderstorms and hail hit Colorado’s Eastern Plains.
Federal Aviation Administration officials ordered the DIA ground stop at 5 p.m. and extended it twice because of ongoing high winds, according to the alert. The ground stop is now set to expire at 8 p.m.
Wind gusts at the airport hit 45 mph at 5:18 p.m. and blowing dust is limiting visibility, according to the National Weather Service., and was still gusting at 29 mph just before 7 p.m.
Colorado weather: Severe thunderstorm watch, possible tornadoes for Eastern Plains
Airlines reported 674 flight delays at the Denver airport as of 7:10 p.m., including 260 delays on Southwest, 179 on United and 138 on SkyWest, according to the flight tracking website FlightAware.
Severe thunderstorms are expected to bring wind gusts up to 70 mph, golf ball-sized hail and the potential for tornadoes to the Eastern Plains this afternoon and evening, NWS forecasters said.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Get more Colorado news by signing up for our daily Your Morning Dozen email newsletter.
Colorado
Colorado residents who switch to heat pumps can expect more rebates this summer
The group behind an upcoming rebate program is hoping to get more Coloradans to make the switch to heat pumps for their heating and cooling needs.
Power Ahead Colorado, administered by the Denver Regional Council of Governments, says applications for the new rebates will open this summer. However, people are already taking advantage of incentives.
“I am so ready for the summer,” said Denver homeowner Eric Gehringer, who came home from work as his heat pump was being installed, and he’s pretty excited about it.
“We’re going to be in the house, just chillin’, like, ‘Oh man, is it warm outside? I don’t even know,’” he joked.
Gehringer is upgrading from a swamp cooler and chose a heat pump over a traditional heating and cooling system.
“With the rebates that are happening right now, it just made financial sense as well,” he said.
Several rebates can be stacked for maximum savings, including a state rebate from Xcel Energy.
“The average size of those rebates has been anywhere from $6,000 to $12,000, depending on the size of the heat pump,” said Trevor Seeyle, the president and CEO of Independent Power, a Boulder-based company that installs heat pumps.
Power Ahead Colorado will also be launching a $1,500 rebate program this summer.
“Our typical heat pump installation is probably anywhere from $15,000 to $25,000, and on average, those stacked heat pump rebates are probably about $10,000, and so it’s a significant portion of the installation cost,” Seeyle added.
Heat pumps are also a more energy-efficient option than traditional heating and cooling, and more Coloradans are making the switch.
Independent Power says they install around seven to eight per week.
Heat pumps work by pulling heat from the outside air when it’s cold, and cold from the air when it’s hot outside. The unit then disperses it within the home.
And although heat pump technology has improved to handle sub-zero temperatures in the colder months, there’s also an option to install a furnace along with it.
“That’s the backup that will typically only be running when it’s very, very cold outside,” Seeyle explained.
Heat pumps could be the long-term future of heating and cooling, with people like Gehringer eager to go all in.
“And seeing that the swamp cooler is gone is fabulous,” Gehringer added.
Colorado
Colorado Supreme Court orders children’s hospital to resume gender-affirming care for minors
DENVER (AP) — The Colorado Supreme Court has ordered Colorado’s largest provider of gender-affirming care for young people to resume medical treatments like puberty blockers and hormone therapy despite threats that providing the care could lead to losing federal funding.
Children’s Hospital Colorado suspended medical treatments for transgender patients under 18 in January after it said the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services opened an investigation into its treatments following a series of clashes between President Donald Trump’s administration and advocates over transgender health care for children.
WATCH: Trump administration seeks to cut off access to transgender health care for U.S. children
The hospital said in a statement that it is reviewing Monday’s court ruling and considering its next steps. It previously said it would continue to provide mental health treatment for minors and also medical treatment for patients aged 18 to 21.
Four transgender girls, ranging from age 10 to 17, sued the hospital, through their parents, alleging that the hospital was violating the state’s antidiscrimination law by refusing to provide them treatment both because of their gender identity and their disability, gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria is the distress caused when someone’s gender expression doesn’t match their sex assigned at birth.
The girls said they feared not being able to get medication and monitoring to prevent them from undergoing puberty and developing male traits. And they cited mental health fallout, including depression and suicidal ideation.
The court sided with the girls in a 5-2 ruling, finding that the decision to shutter the services for minors violated a state antidiscrimination law. In the majority opinion, Justice William Wood III said, “We conclude that the actual immediate and irreparable harm to petitioners outweighs the speculative harm CHC may face if the federal government further acts against it.”
In a dissent, Justice Brian Boatright said the hospital didn’t make its decision to stop the case because of the gender identity of the patients. Rather, he wrote, “It was a decision driven by the direct threat to the viability of the entire hospital.”
A Kansas judge also sided with transgender minors in a ruling last week.
The Colorado hospital’s TRUE Center, which focuses on gender-affirming care, is one of the largest programs in the country and the only comprehensive care center in the Rocky Mountain region, according to the lawsuit.
Children’s Hospital Colorado said the HHS opened the investigation of the hospital after Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. issued a declaration that called treatments like puberty blockers, hormone therapy and surgeries unsafe and ineffective for children and adolescents experiencing gender dysphoria, or the distress when someone’s gender expression doesn’t match their sex assigned at birth.
An Oregon-based federal judge ruled in March for Colorado and 20 other states that Kennedy’s declaration went too far.
Mulvihill reported from Haddonfield, New Jersey.
A free press is a cornerstone of a healthy democracy.
Support trusted journalism and civil dialogue.
-
Atlanta, GA5 minutes agoVideo shows person of interest in deadly Atlanta shooting, police say
-
Minneapolis, MN11 minutes agoHomicide investigation underway in north Minneapolis after double shooting leaves 16-year-old dead
-
Indianapolis, IN17 minutes ago‘We’re a bunch of psychos’: Crashing is part of the job for Indy 500 drivers
-
Pittsburg, PA23 minutes agoMotorcyclist found dead near I-79 in Cranberry 2 days after crash, police say
-
Augusta, GA29 minutes agoAugusta commission waives $70K in trash haulers performance penalties
-
Washington, D.C35 minutes agoUS Commission of Fine Arts approves Trump’s Washington, DC arch despite public opposition
-
Cleveland, OH41 minutes ago
2 shot at Cleveland barbershop, suspect on the run
-
Austin, TX47 minutes agoLive updates: Scattered storms make their way through Central Texas

