Connect with us

Southwest

Uvalde trial halted after key witness changes testimony

Published

on

Uvalde trial halted after key witness changes testimony

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The trial of a former Uvalde, Texas, school police officer accused of not doing more to save lives in the 2022 shooting that left 21 dead was halted after a key witness reportedly changed her testimony. 

Adrian Gonzales has pleaded not guilty to 29 counts of child abandonment or endangerment following the attack at Robb Elementary. He could be sentenced to a maximum of two years in prison if he’s convicted, prosecutors said.   

Former teacher Stephanie Hale testified on Tuesday that she saw the shooter on the south side of the campus, the same area where Gonzales was located, according to Texas Public Radio. 

However, defense attorneys objected, arguing her testimony was different compared to statements Hale made to a Texas Ranger during a 2022 investigation when she placed the shooter closer to Gonzales than previously indicated, the outlet added. 

Advertisement

TRIAL UNDERWAY FOR FORMER UVALDE SCHOOL POLICE OFFICER ACCUSED OF SLOW RESPONSE TO SHOOTING

Former Uvalde school district police officer Adrian Gonzales leaves the courtroom during a break at the Nueces County Courthouse in Corpus Christi, Texas, on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026. (Eric Gay/AP)

The jury in the trial was then dismissed until Thursday as attorneys are preparing arguments on motions related to Hale’s testimony, the report said. The judge in the case is expected to hear those arguments on Wednesday, and the defense has raised the possibility of a mistrial, Texas Public Radio also reported. 

Gonzales, who was among the first to respond to the attack, arrived while the teenage assailant was still outside the building. The officer allegedly did not make a move, even when a teacher pointed out the direction of the shooter, special prosecutor Bill Turner said Tuesday during opening statements in the trial.  

Former Uvalde school district police officer Adrian Gonzales, right, and his attorney Nico LaHood, left, arrive in the courtroom at the Nueces County Courthouse in Corpus Christi, Texas, on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026. (Eric Gay/AP)

Advertisement

The officer only went inside Robb Elementary minutes later “after the damage had been done,” Turner said. 

FORMER UVALDE SCHOOL POLICE CHIEF, OFFICER INDICTED OVER RESPONSE TO ELEMENTARY MASS SHOOTING

“When you hear gunshots, you go to the gunfire,” Turner added, noting that Gonzales, a 10-year veteran of the police force, had extensive active shooter training. 

Attorney Nico LaHood makes opening arguments during a trial for former Uvalde school district police officer Adrian Gonzales on Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026. (Eric Gay/AP)

An indictment accused Gonzales of putting children in “imminent danger” of injury or death by failing to engage, distract or delay the shooter and by not following his training. The allegations also said he did not go toward the gunfire despite hearing shots and being told the shooter’s location. 

Advertisement

Gonzales’ attorneys disputed accusations that he did nothing at what they called a chaotic scene, saying that he helped evacuate children as other police arrived.

Adrian Gonzales, a former police officer for schools in Uvalde, Texas. At right is a memorial dedicated to the 19 children and two adults killed on May 24, 2022, during a mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde. (Uvalde County Sheriff’s Office/AP/Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

“The government makes it want to seem like he just sat there,” defense attorney Nico LaHood said on Tuesday. “He did what he could, with what he knew at the time.” 

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Advertisement

Read the full article from Here

Southwest

Feds double Nancy Guthrie reward as former FBI agents suggest they’re seeking an insider tip

Published

on

Feds double Nancy Guthrie reward as former FBI agents suggest they’re seeking an insider tip

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

TUCSON, Ariz. — The FBI’s decision to increase the reward for information on Nancy Guthrie’s whereabouts is drawing analysis from multiple former FBI officials, who say the move reflects both strategy and investigative progression nearly two weeks into the case.

Retired Supervisory Special Agent of the FBI Scott Duffey told Fox News Digital that the increase may be designed to target someone close to whoever is responsible.

“I believe this is the right time to increase the reward,” Duffey said. “My belief is the FBI started high to attract a family member, friend, or colleague of the attackers. The public is typically there to help regardless of an award.”

Drawing on his experience working fugitive cases involving smaller rewards — typically between $2,500 and $5,000 — Duffey said valuable tips often came from insiders.

Advertisement

DNA SPLATTER SUGGESTS NANCY GUTHRIE WAS BLEEDING FROM ‘EITHER THE HANDS OR FACE,’ EXPERT SAYS

People walk their dogs past Nancy Guthrie’s home moments after the FBI released surveillance images on Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2026, in Tucson, Ariz. (Ty ONeil/AP Photo)

“When I worked crimes with lower-level reward amounts, the contacts were from friends or family members. This was typically in fugitive work,” he said.

He noted that the FBI’s Top Ten Most Wanted list carries million-dollar rewards for the same reason.

“You are seeking ‘inside’ information,” Duffey said.

Advertisement

ELITE FBI VIDEO UNIT THAT WORKED KOHBERGER CASE SPOTTED AT NANCY GUTHRIE HOME

While leads in the Guthrie case appear steady, Duffey cautioned they may not be meaningful.

“Leads are steady, but probably bogus leads or leads that are considered little value,” he said.

He also emphasized that reward money alone does not solve cases, pointing to a Brown University case that was ultimately resolved because someone “just did the right thing,” not because of reward money.

POLICE REQUEST NEIGHBOR SURVEILLANCE FOOTAGE FROM NARROW TIMEFRAMES BEFORE NANCY GUTHRIE VANISHED

Advertisement

The FBI is offering a reward of up to $50,000 for information leading to the recovery of Nancy Guthrie. A poster was released by the agency on Thursday, Feb. 5, 2026. (FBI)

Former FBI agent Nicole Parker said increasing the reward is fundamentally about motivating stronger tips.

“So people are more inclined to give more information because if they get more money, then it might be worth it for them,” Parker said. “They’re hoping to generate more quality, credible tips that might lead to the arrest and the location of Nancy Guthrie. And that’s all it comes down to.”

Parker also suggested the move may counter outside attempts to monetize information — referencing a person who allegedly sought Bitcoin in exchange for details.

FORMER FBI AGENT CALLS HOLSTER SETUP IN NANCY GUTHRIE CASE ‘INCREDIBLY AMATEUR AND UNSAFE’

Advertisement

Former FBI supervisory special agent Joe Cardinale described the increase not as desperation, but as a natural escalation.

“It’s just a progression of events,” Cardinale said. “You’re now into day 13, almost two weeks into this investigation. We still do not have Nancy Guthrie back.”

Cardinale said increasing the reward may prompt people to re-check security footage and reconsider small details.

ADVANCED VIDEO EQUIPMENT SEEN AT NANCY GUTHRIE HOME AS EXPERTS BREAK DOWN ITS POSSIBLE ROLE

“Increasing it just makes people want to go out there, look at their cameras more, do what they have to do and say, ‘Listen, I’m going to check my cameras. I’m going to see what happens.’”

Advertisement

He also addressed speculation surrounding the Bitcoin demand.

“If I have information, this is how this works,” Cardinale explained. “You contact the FBI. They keep it quiet. If your information leads to the arrest of that person, you’re assigned a number, and you get that money.”

VEHICLES AT CENTER OF NANCY GUTHRIE INVESTIGATION PROBED AS POLICE CANVAS FOR TRUCK, RING FOOTAGE

He noted that legitimate reward procedures prevent extortion attempts.

“If someone is demanding Bitcoin upfront and doesn’t have information, they can be arrested for extortion,” he said.

Advertisement

Cardinale also pointed to investigative developments on the ground.

FORMER FBI AGENT URGES CAUTION AS SURVEILLANCE VIDEO OF MAN IN GUTHRIE AREA CIRCULATES WEB

FBI agents canvass homes near Nancy Guthrie’s home in Tucson, Friday, Feb. 6, 2026. Guthrie was last seen on Saturday night as an investigation into her disappearance continues. (Kat Ramirez for Fox News Digital)

“They’re extending the perimeter of their search,” he said, suggesting investigators may be working to eliminate the possibility that another individual seen near a vehicle, possibly carrying two backpacks, is connected.

If that person was located miles away from the original scene, Cardinale said investigators would need to rule it out.

Advertisement

“They should be using dogs, drones, helicopters if they have to, and do grid searches,” he said. “This time they’ll be looking for evidence along the way as well.”

WHAT THE TIMING OF THE FBI’S IMAGE RELEASE SUGGESTS IN THE NANCY GUTHRIE CASE: CRIME INSIDER

Cardinale also noted investigators appear to be carefully protecting forensic details, including measurements and physical comparisons gathered from surveillance footage.

“They don’t want anybody knowing what they’re zeroing in on,” he said.

Nancy Guthrie disappearance timeline:

Advertisement

January 31, 2026

Between 9:30–9:45 p.m. – Family drops Nancy off at home

9:50 p.m. – Garage door closes (per authorities)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

February 1, 2026

Advertisement

1:47 a.m. – Doorbell camera disconnects

2:12 a.m. – Security camera detects motion

2:28 a.m. – Pacemaker disconnects from phone application

11:56 a.m. – Family checks on Nancy after she misses weekly church livestream gathering

12:03 p.m. — 911 called

Advertisement

12:15 p.m. — sheriff’s deputies arrive at home

Stepheny Price covers crime, including missing persons, homicides and migrant crime. Send story tips to stepheny.price@fox.com.

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Southwest

Sheriff in Nancy Guthrie case says no glove found at home, defends ongoing work with FBI

Published

on

Sheriff in Nancy Guthrie case says no glove found at home, defends ongoing work with FBI

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

TUSCON, Ariz. — Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos said that his department did not recover a glove from Nancy Guthrie’s home and rejected reports of friction between his office and the FBI.

“We have no glove. We never found a glove on that property,” Nanos told Fox News Correspondent Matt Finn in an interview Friday.

Nanos also forcefully denied claims that his department has not been cooperating with federal authorities.

“That’s absolutely crazy,” he said when asked about reports that he was reluctant to involve the FBI. “Why would we be reluctant to get all the partners who have great resources and offer them to us?”

Advertisement

He added: “We don’t hold information from anybody that’s going to help us. Why would we do that? There are no egos here. This is all about finding Nancy.”

Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos speaks to the media in Catalina, Arizona, on Feb. 3, while answering questions about the search for Nancy Guthrie. ( Jan Sonnenmair/Getty Images)

FORMER FBI AGENT CALLS HOLSTER SETUP IN NANCY GUTHRIE CASE ‘INCREDIBLY AMATEUR AND UNSAFE’ 

Nanos said he contacted the FBI the next working day after Guthrie went missing and said that federal agents are embedded with his team.

“They sit right next to the FBI. Come to my office, and I’ll show you — they’re sitting right there with my team,” he said. “They are there every minute of the day, and they want to find her.”

Advertisement

FBI investigators search Catalina Foothills in Tucson, Arizona, Wednesday, February 11, 2026. The investigation into the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie continues. (DWS for Fox News Digital)

On the handling of evidence, Nanos defended his department’s decision to use a long-standing private lab rather than splitting evidence between facilities, including the FBI’s crime lab in Quantico, Virginia.

He said the Guthrie family DNA markers and other swabs were already sent to that lab early in the investigation, making it more efficient to continue using the same facility.

“Why split your evidence to two different labs that could create a conflict, but more importantly, it adds that additional step?” he said. “This lab has this piece; this lab has that piece. Now they’ve got to converge those two pieces to make an elimination or identification. No, just send it to one lab, let’s go.”

“They’re both great labs. They both have great equipment and smart people. We trust the FBI’s crime lab. We’ve used them before. But in this case, we just started with this lab,” he said. “It’s just that simple.”

Advertisement

Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos updates media on the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie, the 84-year-old mother of “Today” host Savannah Guthrie, in Tucson, Ariz., on Thursday, Feb. 5, 2026.  (Sejal Govindarao/AP Photo)

Regarding ransom notes, Nanos said the FBI is taking the lead.

“All the ransom stuff we’ve given to the FBI — they’re the experts on that,” he said. “It would be very inappropriate for me to comment on something that I told them to do.”

Authorities “believe it’s a kidnapping,” Nanos said, while saying that investigators are considering all possibilities.

FOLLOW THE FOX TRUE CRIME TEAM ON X

Advertisement

“You always consider all possibilities,” he said. “But yeah, the obvious is what? It is an obvious kidnapping.”

When asked whether anyone has been ruled out, Nanos said investigators may deprioritize individuals but remain open to revisiting leads.

SIGN UP TO GET TRUE CRIME NEWSLETTER

“Nobody’s really ever eliminated,” he said.

A tent was placed over the front entrance to Nancy Guthrie’s home in Tucson, Arizona, Thursday, Feb. 12, 2026. The tent is covering where Guthrie’s blood was found. (Fox Flight Team)

Advertisement

The sheriff also rejected criticism that investigators released the crime scene too soon.

“We remove the evidence, we swab evidence, we take evidence, and we go,” he told Finn. “We got all the evidence that was there to gather.”

LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING? FIND MORE ON THE TRUE CRIME HUB

Cleaning blood from a scene, he added, “is not what we do.”

Nanos said deputy vehicles currently stationed outside the home are there at the family’s request for security.

Advertisement

Those cars “are there because the family said they can’t — they don’t want to be at the house and they’ve asked, can we provide security, so nobody breaks into the home,” he said.

The FBI released a description of a suspect in Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance, who was seen in doorbell camera footage before she vanished. (Fox News)

SEND US A TIP HERE

Nancy Guthrie disappearance timeline:

Jan. 31, 2026

  • Between 9:30–9:45 p.m. — Family drops Nancy off at home
  • 9:50 p.m. — Garage door closes (per authorities)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Feb. 1, 2026

Advertisement
  • 1:47 a.m. — Doorbell camera disconnects
  • 2:12 a.m. — Security camera detects motion
  • 2:28 a.m. — Pacemaker disconnects from phone application
  • 11:56 a.m. — Family checks on Nancy after she misses weekly church livestream gathering
  • 12:03 p.m. — 911 called
  • 12:15 p.m. — Sheriff’s deputies arrive at home



Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Southwest

Walmart sales records become critical evidence as FBI investigates Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance

Published

on

Walmart sales records become critical evidence as FBI investigates Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

TUCSON, Ariz. — A single backpack has become a critical focal point in the investigation into Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance, prompting federal authorities to comb through Walmart sales records and store surveillance footage in search of a break.

Investigators are working with Walmart’s corporate security team while agents canvass stores across the Tucson metropolitan area, according to retired Supervisory FBI Agent Jason Pack, who described the strategy as a methodical effort to narrow the universe of possible suspects.

“They’re attacking this issue on several fronts,” Pack told Fox News Digital. “They are working with Walmart corporate security and simultaneously canvassing the stores in metro Tucson. Walmart should be able to trace back all sales of the backpack over a specific period of time. That will create many regional leads as agents track down and account for every single backpack. They’ll also want to recover video from the stores where they were sold.”

Authorities have not publicly detailed how many of the backpacks were sold or over what timeframe they are focusing, but the approach reflects a standard federal investigative technique. Fox News Digital has reached out to Walmart Corp. for additional information.

Advertisement

Photos released Feb. 10, 2025, show a “subject” on Nancy Guthrie’s property.  (Provided by FBI)

Former FBI agent John Nantz explained how anything that “ties a subject to the crime is critical in building a case for prosecution.”

Likening the purchase history analysis used in the indictment of Brian Cole Jr., who allegedly planted two live pipe bombs outside the Democratic National Committee and the Republican National Committee, Nantz said Cole’s arrest came after investigators developed critical evidence from his purchase history.

FOLLOW THE FOX TRUE CRIME TEAM ON X

An Ozark Trails backpack for sale at a Walmart store, Tucson, Ariz., Friday, Feb. 13, 2026.  (Derek Shook for Fox News Digital)

Advertisement

Large retailers maintain SKU-level sales records that capture the date, time and location of each purchase, along with payment method information. 

SIGN UP TO GET TRUE CRIME NEWSLETTER

By isolating sales within a defined window, agents can create a list of purchasers and then prioritize leads based on physical descriptors.

A Walmart store located at 455 E. Wetmore Road, in Tucson, Ariz., Friday, Feb. 13, 2026.   (Derek Shook for Fox News Digital)

Pack said retail forensics can be decisive when combined with other evidence.

Advertisement

SEND US A TIP HERE

“When you can match a product to a person through both data and video,” he said, “you begin to shrink the suspect pool quickly.”

An undated photo of Nancy Guthrie and Savannah Guthrie was provided by NBC in response to the disappearance of the 84-year-old mother of the “Today” show host. (Courtesy of NBC)

LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING? FIND MORE ON THE TRUE CRIME HUB

Nancy Guthrie disappearance timeline:

Jan. 31, 2026

Advertisement

Between 9:30–9:45 p.m. — Family drops Nancy off at home

9:50 p.m. — Garage door closes (per authorities)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The FBI released a description of a suspect in Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance who was seen in doorbell camera footage before she vanished. (Fox News)

Feb. 1, 2026

Advertisement

1:47 a.m. — Doorbell camera disconnects

2:12 a.m. — Security camera detects motion

2:28 a.m. — Pacemaker disconnects from phone application

11:56 a.m. — Family checks on Nancy after she misses weekly church livestream gathering

12:03 p.m. — 911 called

Advertisement

12:15 p.m. — Sheriff’s deputies arrive at home



Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Trending