Uncommon Knowledge
Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.
North Carolina Medicaid recipients will now have access to over-the-counter (OTC) birth control pills at no cost, starting on Thursday.
In an effort to expand healthcare accessibility in the state, the oral contraceptive Opill will be available starting Thursday in over 300 local and retail pharmacies across the state without a prescription, at no cost for state Medicaid recipients, Democratic Governor Roy Cooper of North Carolina announced on Wednesday in conjunction with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
“North Carolina is working to expand access to healthcare and that includes the freedom to make decisions about family planning,” Cooper said in a press release. “Making birth control easier to get is an important goal and I’m glad that NC Medicaid can take this step.”
The coverage initiative stems from a 2021 law allowing pharmacists to prescribe various contraceptives in accordance with state medical regulations.
According to the Associated Press, North Carolina Medicaid began enlisting pharmacists as providers in early 2024, with the state officially unveiling the Medicaid benefit two weeks ago.
Opill, the first OTC oral contraceptive approved by federal drug regulators, is expected to alleviate cost and access barriers through this initiative, particularly in rural areas where there are fewer healthcare providers, according to state Health and Human Services.
“This new coverage by NC Medicaid demonstrates our commitment to continue to remove barriers to contraception and ensure North Carolinians have access to the services they need to make the best decisions about their health and life,” State Health Director and Chief Medical Officer Dr. Elizabeth Cuervo Tilson said.
Newsweek has reached out to Cooper’s office and the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services via email for comment.
In addition, under this initiative, Medicaid-enrolled pharmacies will be able to submit reimbursement claims for birth control pills.
This comes as the state’s Medicaid program serves nearly 3 million residents, with women comprising 56 percent of the enrollees, the AP reported.
“Our goal is to ensure everyone has access to the right contraception and reproductive services at the right time in their community,” NC Health and Human Services Secretary Kody H. Kinsley said in a press release. “This new coverage is part of our ongoing work to invest in child and family well-being by increasing access to health care and ultimately improving maternal and infant outcomes.”
In addition, earlier this month over 500,000 North Carolinians enrolled in the state’s Medicaid expansion program since the program began seven months ago, according to Copper’s office.
According to Cooper’s office, since December 1, 2023, new Medicaid enrollees have filled more than 1.9 million new prescriptions for conditions like heart health, diabetes, seizures and other illnesses.
Meanwhile, the state’s OTC birth control initiative comes after the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade in 2022 escalated concerns over the security of other reproductive rights, including access to contraception.
Last month, the Right to Contraception Act, introduced in 2022 and aimed to enshrine into federal law the right to obtain and use contraceptives, was blocked by Senate Republicans in a 51-39 vote, arguing it was unnecessary and overly broad.
The bill needed 60 votes to defeat a filibuster and move forward in the chambers.
If later approved, the Right to Contraception Act would ensure individuals could access various forms of birth control, such as pills, patches, impacts, condoms, IUDs and sterilization procedures.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York warned last month of Republican efforts in some states to block access to contraception, saying it was “all the more reason to move to protect contraception at the federal level.”
“To those who think that federal action protecting access to birth control is unnecessary, just look at what’s happening in states like Virginia and Nevada and Arizona, where Republicans are openly blocking these very protections. I would hope that protecting access to birth control would be the definition of an easy, uncontroversial decision here in the Senate. But the vote will tell all,” Schumer said.
Meanwhile, on the Senate floor last month, Republican Senator Katie Britt of Alabama condemned the Democrats’ legislation efforts as a “summer of scare tactics.”
“This is continuing the campaign of fear-mongering we’ve already seen. Contraception is available in every state across the nation. The goal of my Democratic colleagues right now is to scare the American people, to scare women across our great nation. It’s not that they believe that there’s a problem they’re truly trying to solve. They’re prioritizing their own short-term partisan political interest,” Britt said.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.
Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.
The North Carolina Tar Heels’ season will officially conclude after this weekend, regardless of the result on Saturday against North Carolina State.
However, the Impact of this game against North Carolina State means much more since it is an in-state rivalry matchup.
While speaking with the media during his press conference availability center Austin Blaske previewed the matchup while revealing what he has learned from his head coach during the season.
The Tar Heels’ season has been a roller coaster, which is one of the main reasons the team failed to qualify for a bowl game. Blaske understands that it has not been the season that many fans hoped for, but it served as a learning experience for the program.
Although Blaske’s final season does not conclude with a bowl game appearance, the six-year senior did have an opportunity to learn from Bill Belichick. The veteran center spoke on that experience and how it helped him develop as a player.
The Tar Heels’ 2025 season is inching closer to the end, but 2026 could spell much more success with another recruiting class arriving, paired with the experience gained from the current regime.
Please follow us on X when you click right HERE!
Please make sure you follow us today on our Facebook page when you click right HERE!
A pair of ACC teams meet when the NC State Wolfpack (6-5) face off against the North Carolina Tar Heels (4-7) on Saturday, November 29, 2025 at Wayne Day Family Field at Carter-Finley Stadium. The Wolfpack are favored by 7 points. The over/under for the contest is 47.5 points.
Against the Duke Blue Devils in their most recent contest, the Tar Heels lost 32-25.
The Heels’ Gio Lopez went 21-for-27 for 204 yards against Duke, with one TD and no INTs.
Last time around, the Wolfpack defeated the Florida State Seminoles, with 21-11 being the final score.
In the article below, we’ll give you all the details you need to watch this matchup on ACC Network.
Check out: US LBM Coaches Poll powered by USA Today sports
College football odds courtesy of BetMGM Sportsbook. Odds updated Thursday at 10:15 p.m. ET. For a full list of sports betting odds, access USA TODAY Sports Betting Scores Odds Hub.
Watch NC State vs. North Carolina on Fubo! (Regional restrictions may apply)
Nov. 26 (UPI) — A three-judge panel on Wednesday permitted North Carolina to adopt a redrawn congressional map that is expected to favor the Republican Party.
The U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina unanimously ruled against the plaintiffs’ request for an injunction against legislation approved in October by the state’s General Assembly that critics say threaten one federal congressional district, specifically Congressional District 1, which represented by Democrat Don Davis.
In their 57-page ruling on Wednesday, the three Republican-appointed judges said the plaintiffs failed to prove that the state’s General Assembly enacted the legislation, Senate Bill 249, with the intent to “minimize or cancel out the voting potential” of Black North Carolinians as they had claimed.
The ruling comes in protracted litigation that began in 2023, when the Republican-led state sought to redraw some of the districts for electing representatives to the state Senate and federal Congress.
The plaintiffs, who include the North Carolina State Conference of the NAACP, sued that December. In October, amid litigation on the maps, the state’s General Assembly passed legislation to swap counties between Congressional District 1 and Congressional District 3.
The plaintiffs again sued the state, alleging the legislation was unconstitutional and asking the court to enjoin S.B. 249.
Earlier this month, the same three-judge panel issued a ruling approving the changes to the map put forward in 2023.
A hearing on S.B. 249 was held Nov. 19, during which the plaintiffs argued that the speed with which the General Assembly passed the 2025 plan was evidence of discriminatory intent.
But the panel of judges disagreed, stating “they have offered no reason to believe that the speed of the 2025 process indicates an intent to discriminate on the basis of race. Nor do they explain what weight we are supposed to assign to what they call ‘the near uniform outcry among North Carolina voters against the map and the process.’”
The ruling comes amid something of a gerrymandering race in the United States that began in earnest when Texas this summer — under pressure of President Donald Trump — sought a mid-decade redraw of its maps to make them more favorable to the Republican Party.
California is in the process of redrawing its maps in retaliation and other states under control of both parties have followed with similar plans.
Washington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
Zelenskiy meets Turkish president as word emerges of new US peace push
Struggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
Driver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
Unclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
Rep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes
Rising Home Insurance Premiums Are Eating Into Home Values in Disaster-Prone Areas
Camelot or Cringe?: Meet JFK’s grandson turned congressional candidate for the scrolling generation