Connect with us

Dallas, TX

One Thing to Consider as the Dallas Mavericks host the Boston Celtics for Game 4 of the NBA Finals

Published

on

One Thing to Consider as the Dallas Mavericks host the Boston Celtics for Game 4 of the NBA Finals


The Dallas Mavericks play the Boston Celtics in Game 4 of the NBA Finals on Friday night. The game will be on ABC and should start sometime after 7:30. The Mavericks are starting at the 0-3 hole they’ve dug themselves and likely wonder how they’re going to find a way out. A team has never come back before in NBA Finals history from such a deficit. Are the Mavericks the team to do it? There’s only one thing to ponder in the hours leading up to Game 4:

There is no tomorrow

Like Bill Simmons, the movies of my childhood live in my brain. For me, the Rocky movies were pivotal in shaping how I think about sports and adversity. Rocky IV is probably my favorite, because it’s the most ridiculous one. But Rocky III is that has the most applicable lessons.

Rocky loses his edge in Rocky III. He becomes scared of losing all he’s earned and in becoming scared he creates a self-fulfilling prophecy when he’s beat by Clubber Lang, a vicious fighter.

Advertisement

Luka Doncic, during Game 3 at least, lost his edge. Perhaps that’s too harsh. He certainly lost his way, and in doing so was both the a primary reason why they were in Game 3 and a primary reason why they lost.

In the interview above, he says the right things. Luka Doncic almost always says the right things, verbally taking responsibility is one of the hallmarks of his personality. What comes next for Luka is the actual application of the lessons he’s insisted he’s learned in these sorts of interviews.

There is no tomorrow. There’s nothing after this game, not if they lose. If they lose, there’s time to think, to lament, to regret. As the Mavericks prepare for this game and as we prepare for this game, there’s no point looking ahead. Dallas must win. They must win. One win, that’s all that matters.

Advertisement

Take the punches. Then fight back. Win.





Source link

Dallas, TX

Dallas police seek two people of interest seen leaving Deep Ellum shooting that injured five

Published

on

Dallas police seek two people of interest seen leaving Deep Ellum shooting that injured five



Dallas police are asking for the public’s help identifying two people seen on video leaving the scene of a shooting in Deep Ellum that injured five people earlier this month.

The shooting happened at 10:23 p.m. on May 5 near Commerce Street and Malcolm X Boulevard, according to the Dallas Police Department.

Police said a man opened fire, shot five people, and fled. Three victims were taken by Dallas Fire-Rescue, and two were taken by private vehicle to a hospital. All were in stable condition.

Advertisement

Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective L. Kebart at 214-671-3668 or Lauren.Kebart@dallaspolice.gov.

About two hours later, on May 6, a second shooting occurred at Elm Street and North Crowdus Street, killing 26-year-old security guard Joseph Gray. Police said Gray was breaking up a fight when 23-year-old Detorius Tarver opened fire. Tarver was arrested at the scene and charged with murder.

Police shut down Deep Ellum after the second shooting.

CBS News Texas will provide updates as more information becomes available.

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Dallas, TX

One Surprise Dallas Cowboys Cut to Expect After OTAs

Published

on

One Surprise Dallas Cowboys Cut to Expect After OTAs


The Dallas Cowboys will hold Organized Team Activities (OTAs) starting on June 1 and we would expect there to be some roster moves made after OTAs conclude on June 11.

This will be the first real opportunity we get to see the rookies and veterans on the same practice field, and that might be bad news for one of the Cowboys’ veterans.

That veteran is tight end Luke Schoonmaker, who has been nothing short of a disappointment since being taken with a second-round pick in 2023.

Advertisement

Not only has Schoonmaker not been a consistently good blocker during his career, the 27-year-old hasn’t offered much as a pass-catcher. Excelling in at least one of those areas is key for a depth tight end, yet Schoonmaker isn’t particularly great at either thing.

Advertisement

His play on the field is just one reason why Schoonmaker’s days with the Cowboys could be numbered.

Why Schoonmaker could get cut after OTAs

Advertisement

Dallas Cowboys tight end Luke Schoonmaker after the game against the Baltimore Ravens at AT&T Stadium. | Kevin Jairaj-Imagn Images

Along with his disappointing career that has so far spanned three seasons, another reason for Schoonmaker’s bleak outlook in Dallas is his contract situation.

The veteran is entering the final year of his deal and it looks like he is going to need a miracle to have a future with the Cowboys. And, there is an out in Schoonmaker’s contract this year, with the deal having a minimal dead-cap hit of $389,396.

Why would the Cowboys make the decision to cut Schoonmaker before letting him play out the final year of his deal? Well, it’s because of a pair of undrafted free-agent signings.

Advertisement

The more impressive of the two is Baylor product Michael Trigg, who the Cowboys clearly think very highly of after giving him a massive UDFA deal that includes $280,000 guaranteed.

Advertisement

Trigg is intriguing, to say the least. He has elite measurables for a tight end, and he was an explosive playmaker for the Bears, with Trigg going off for nearly 700 yards and six touchdowns in 2025. Head coach Brian Schottenheimer is clearly impressed with him.

Dallas Cowboys tight end Michael Trigg goes through a drill during practice at the Ford Center at the Star Training Facility | Chris Jones-Imagn Images
Advertisement

“Talk about Michael Trigg first, we’ve all seen the highlight reel catches and things that he did at Baylor — it’s impressive,” the Cowboys head coach said. “You talk about a guy that can stretch the field vertically and make game-changing ‘wow’-type plays attacking the middle of the field. I think that jumps out at you.”

Advertisement

There’s also DJ Rogers, who showed improvement in each of his last three seasons at TCU and culminated his college career with 319 receiving yards and two scores. Schottenheimer is especially a fan of Rogers’ versatility.

“I love the versatility that DJ brings,” Schottenheimer said. “You see him play some Y, some F, some fullback.”

Given the fact the Cowboys added a pair of tight ends after the draft suggests the team isn’t totally content with its current lot.

Getting a chance to see Trigg, Rogers, and Schoonmaker side by side at OTAs might be enough for the Cowboys to decide it just isn’t worth keeping the veteran around, especially because doing so could take key reps away from the rookies. We’ll find out if that is the case in a little under one month.

Advertisement

Sign up for the Cowboys Daily Digest newsletter for more free coverage from Dallas Cowboys on SI

Advertisement
Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Continue Reading

Dallas, TX

Dallas Mavericks Part Ways With Jason Kidd

Published

on

Dallas Mavericks Part Ways With Jason Kidd


Masai Ujiri is making his presence felt with the Dallas Mavericks already.

The team’s new president parted ways with head coach Jason Kidd, the franchise announced Tuesday evening.

Kidd had four years and more than $40 million remaining on his contract, per ESPN’s Shams Charania.

Advertisement

“Jason has had a meaningful impact on the Dallas Mavericks, both as a Hall of Fame player and as the head coach who helped lead this franchise back to the NBA Finals,” Ujiri said in a statement. “We are thankful for Jason’s leadership, his professionalism and his commitment to the team. In my short time here, I’ve developed an enormous amount of respect for what he has built. He will always be an important part of the Mavericks family.”

Kidd, 53, won an NBA championship with the team as a player (2011). He coached the Mavericks for five seasons, taking the team to the Western Conference Finals in 2022 and the NBA Finals in 2024. Dallas finished 26-56 this season.

“As we evaluate the future of our basketball program, we believe this is the right moment for a new direction for our team,” Ujiri said. “We have high expectations for this franchise and a responsibility to build a basketball organization capable of sustained championship contention. We will conduct a thorough, disciplined search for our next head coach and continue to evaluate our entire basketball operations staff to ensure we compete at the standard Mavs fans expect and deserve.”

Former Dallas GM Nico Harrison traded Luka Doncic at the deadline in 2025 in what is considered by many among the worst trades in NBA history, if not the worst.

The Mavericks then proceeded to win the NBA Draft Lottery and earned the right to draft Duke star Cooper Flagg last summer. Flagg, who enjoyed a close relationship with Kidd, went on to win NBA Rookie of the Year honors.

Advertisement

Harrison was fired last November and the Mavericks finished 26-56 this past season while dealing with a slew of injuries, including to Kyrie Irving (ACL) and Dereck Lively II (foot surgery).

The Mavericks own the No. 9 and 30 picks in this summer’s NBA Draft.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending