Connect with us

Dallas, TX

One Surprise Dallas Cowboys Cut to Expect After OTAs

Published

on

One Surprise Dallas Cowboys Cut to Expect After OTAs


The Dallas Cowboys will hold Organized Team Activities (OTAs) starting on June 1 and we would expect there to be some roster moves made after OTAs conclude on June 11.

This will be the first real opportunity we get to see the rookies and veterans on the same practice field, and that might be bad news for one of the Cowboys’ veterans.

That veteran is tight end Luke Schoonmaker, who has been nothing short of a disappointment since being taken with a second-round pick in 2023.

Advertisement

Not only has Schoonmaker not been a consistently good blocker during his career, the 27-year-old hasn’t offered much as a pass-catcher. Excelling in at least one of those areas is key for a depth tight end, yet Schoonmaker isn’t particularly great at either thing.

Advertisement

His play on the field is just one reason why Schoonmaker’s days with the Cowboys could be numbered.

Why Schoonmaker could get cut after OTAs

Advertisement

Dallas Cowboys tight end Luke Schoonmaker after the game against the Baltimore Ravens at AT&T Stadium. | Kevin Jairaj-Imagn Images

Along with his disappointing career that has so far spanned three seasons, another reason for Schoonmaker’s bleak outlook in Dallas is his contract situation.

The veteran is entering the final year of his deal and it looks like he is going to need a miracle to have a future with the Cowboys. And, there is an out in Schoonmaker’s contract this year, with the deal having a minimal dead-cap hit of $389,396.

Why would the Cowboys make the decision to cut Schoonmaker before letting him play out the final year of his deal? Well, it’s because of a pair of undrafted free-agent signings.

Advertisement

The more impressive of the two is Baylor product Michael Trigg, who the Cowboys clearly think very highly of after giving him a massive UDFA deal that includes $280,000 guaranteed.

Advertisement

Trigg is intriguing, to say the least. He has elite measurables for a tight end, and he was an explosive playmaker for the Bears, with Trigg going off for nearly 700 yards and six touchdowns in 2025. Head coach Brian Schottenheimer is clearly impressed with him.

Dallas Cowboys tight end Michael Trigg goes through a drill during practice at the Ford Center at the Star Training Facility | Chris Jones-Imagn Images
Advertisement

“Talk about Michael Trigg first, we’ve all seen the highlight reel catches and things that he did at Baylor — it’s impressive,” the Cowboys head coach said. “You talk about a guy that can stretch the field vertically and make game-changing ‘wow’-type plays attacking the middle of the field. I think that jumps out at you.”

Advertisement

There’s also DJ Rogers, who showed improvement in each of his last three seasons at TCU and culminated his college career with 319 receiving yards and two scores. Schottenheimer is especially a fan of Rogers’ versatility.

“I love the versatility that DJ brings,” Schottenheimer said. “You see him play some Y, some F, some fullback.”

Given the fact the Cowboys added a pair of tight ends after the draft suggests the team isn’t totally content with its current lot.

Getting a chance to see Trigg, Rogers, and Schoonmaker side by side at OTAs might be enough for the Cowboys to decide it just isn’t worth keeping the veteran around, especially because doing so could take key reps away from the rookies. We’ll find out if that is the case in a little under one month.

Advertisement

Sign up for the Cowboys Daily Digest newsletter for more free coverage from Dallas Cowboys on SI

Advertisement
Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Dallas, TX

Dallas Mavericks Part Ways With Jason Kidd

Published

on

Dallas Mavericks Part Ways With Jason Kidd


Masai Ujiri is making his presence felt with the Dallas Mavericks already.

The team’s new president parted ways with head coach Jason Kidd, the franchise announced Tuesday evening.

Kidd had four years and more than $40 million remaining on his contract, per ESPN’s Shams Charania.

Advertisement

“Jason has had a meaningful impact on the Dallas Mavericks, both as a Hall of Fame player and as the head coach who helped lead this franchise back to the NBA Finals,” Ujiri said in a statement. “We are thankful for Jason’s leadership, his professionalism and his commitment to the team. In my short time here, I’ve developed an enormous amount of respect for what he has built. He will always be an important part of the Mavericks family.”

Kidd, 53, won an NBA championship with the team as a player (2011). He coached the Mavericks for five seasons, taking the team to the Western Conference Finals in 2022 and the NBA Finals in 2024. Dallas finished 26-56 this season.

“As we evaluate the future of our basketball program, we believe this is the right moment for a new direction for our team,” Ujiri said. “We have high expectations for this franchise and a responsibility to build a basketball organization capable of sustained championship contention. We will conduct a thorough, disciplined search for our next head coach and continue to evaluate our entire basketball operations staff to ensure we compete at the standard Mavs fans expect and deserve.”

Former Dallas GM Nico Harrison traded Luka Doncic at the deadline in 2025 in what is considered by many among the worst trades in NBA history, if not the worst.

The Mavericks then proceeded to win the NBA Draft Lottery and earned the right to draft Duke star Cooper Flagg last summer. Flagg, who enjoyed a close relationship with Kidd, went on to win NBA Rookie of the Year honors.

Advertisement

Harrison was fired last November and the Mavericks finished 26-56 this past season while dealing with a slew of injuries, including to Kyrie Irving (ACL) and Dereck Lively II (foot surgery).

The Mavericks own the No. 9 and 30 picks in this summer’s NBA Draft.



Source link

Continue Reading

Dallas, TX

Mailbag: Could Valdes-Scantling battle for WR3?

Published

on

Mailbag: Could Valdes-Scantling battle for WR3?


Kurt: Signed just two days after the draft, the Valdes-Scantling deal did slide in a bit under the radar, but this seems a wise move to add a veteran to the wide receiver room and perhaps even build in a little security in the event the George Pickens situation goes haywire.

Now entering his ninth season, the 6-foot-4, 206-pound Valdes-Scantling certainly brings size and experience. And you’re right, he’s topped 30 catches and 500 receiving yards three times in his career, which includes finishing third on the Chiefs with 687 yards during their 2022 championship season. He also had a touchdown grab in Kansas City’s 2023 Super Bowl victory.

Of course, the last two years have been more nomadic for Valdes-Scantling as he split 2024 between Buffalo and New Orleans and then spent time with both San Francisco and Pittsburgh in 2025. Last season in particular wasn’t exactly pretty, as he battled a calf injury on his way to just 120 receiving yards combined off 14 catches.

Meanwhile, Ryan Flournoy, who is five years younger, enjoyed a breakout effort in his sophomore campaign for the Cowboys, finishing with 40 catches for 475 yards and four touchdowns a season ago. At this point, the team clearly sees him as the first option for that third wideout spot.

Advertisement

So Valdes-Scantling will be in a battle for playing time (and perhaps even a roster spot), but taking a flier on a two-time Lombardi Trophy winner with a contract for less than $1.5 million, and only $187,500 of that guaranteed, made perfect sense. It’s a small investment that could potentially pay big dividends.



Source link

Continue Reading

Dallas, TX

Dallas Sumer of Safety initiative is back

Published

on

Dallas Sumer of Safety initiative is back


The Dallas Mayor’s Summer of Safety initiative is back for a fifth year.

The program aims at keeping Dallas residents ages 13-17 safe and out of trouble during the summer months by offering free or low-cost access to programs and attractions that might otherwise be out of reach for them and their families.

Several city departments partner for Summer of Safety, including Dallas ISD, the Dallas Police Department, the Dallas Public Library and Dallas Park and Recreation.

John Jenkins, who leads the city’s park and recreation department, named off some of the more popular destinations featured in the popular ‘All Access Pass: “Arboretum, Trinity River Audubon Center, Holocaust Museum, Southern Skates Roller Rink, Perot Museum. New venues this year are Dave and Buster’s, Dallas Love Field and the State Fair of Texas.”

Advertisement

The website detailing each program is now up and running, but keep in mind the estimated all access passes distributed across the city’s rec centers will not be available for pick up until June 30, according to the website.

Dallas ISD is also taking on the responsibility of providing students a place to go during the day, according to Dr. Pamela Lear, Dallas ISD Deputy Superintendent.

“In June and July, Dallas ISD is offering fun and engaging summer opportunities, learning opportunities, offering everything from camps focused on cheer, mariachi and robotics,” she said during Monday’s photo opportunity.

Curbing summer crime is also top of mind as Dallas prepares for the FIFA World Cup.

The host city is set to welcome thousands of visitors from across the world to downtown Dallas and Fair Park.

Advertisement

Dallas Police Chief Daniel Comeaux was asked how DPD plans to increase visibility to keep youth and fans safe during the busy summer months.

“We’re really looking at some of the extras, like the mounting unit, we have more horses that’s going to be available this year,” said Comeaux. “We just purchased eight new horses. They’re in training right now, and hopefully you’ll see them walking the streets a little bit more. We added some additional motor units. So we’re going to have more officers on motorcycles out there”.

For more information about the Mayor’s Summer of Safety program, click here.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending