Connect with us

Atlanta, GA

Atlanta spa shootings victims remembered 3 years later

Published

on

Atlanta spa shootings victims remembered 3 years later


Leaders in Metro Atlanta’s Asian American community held a remembrance ceremony and call to action to honor the eight people who lost their lives in the Atlanta spa shootings on March 16, 2021. 

Advertisement

It started with a banner procession, then organizers read the names of the eight people killed, six of whom were Asian women. 

One of those victims was Michael Webb’s former spouse, 49-year-old Xiaojie Tan.

“She worked hard, she was dedicated to her business. To see her work so hard and save, then to have her life cut short like that is something I think about every day,” Webb said.

Advertisement

Xiaojie Tan (Supplied by family)

He says he came to Saturday’s ceremony to share her story three years later in hopes of preventing something like this from happening again.

Advertisement

“Because what we went through, nobody should have to go through,” Webb said. 

Organizer Cam Ashling said they wanted people to understand the fight against Asian hate is still ongoing.

“I want them to not take it for granted, because something like this could happen to any one of our family members. It could happen to my mom, my sister, myself,” Ashling said.

Advertisement

Eight people total were killed at three spa locations in Cherokee County and Atlanta on March 16, 2021.

Eight people total were killed at three spa locations in Cherokee County and Atlanta on March 16, 2021. (Supplied)

We asked her how well she thought state leaders have addressed Asian hate and gun violence in the three years since the shooting.

Advertisement

“Horrible. Yeah, I don’t think we’ve gotten very far. We haven’t gotten any kind of meaningful, safe gun legislation passed since then,” Ashling said. 

Many young people participated in the ceremony, through musical numbers, speeches and even a traditional lion dance. 

Student organizer Tyler Lee is an 11th grader at Peachtree Ridge High School.

Advertisement

“I’m a Korean-American. My grandmother is a Korean-American. Some of the women that were shot and killed look like my grandmother, and I was extremely disheartened. So, I decided something needed to be done,” Lee said.

Lee has worked to get stricter gun laws passed that he says might have helped prevent the 2021 shooting rampage.

Advertisement

Investigators have said shooter Robert Long bought a gun shortly before going on the killing spree.

Advertisement

Lee says young Asian Americans need to be a bigger part of the fight against hate.

“I truly believe that we will be the pioneers of what we expect to change in our society,” Lee said. 

Ashling says they need the entire Atlanta community to stand together with them against this hate in order to make a real difference.

Advertisement

“We just all want to stand together, and we don’t just want Asian Americans to stand together. We need other communities to stand with us, too,” Ashling said. 

Organizers called on those in attendance to share their stories of discrimination and hate. 

Advertisement

They also called on people here and throughout the metro area to vote in upcoming elections and show how important fighting asian hate is to their elected officials.



Source link

Atlanta, GA

Keisha Lance Bottoms says Georgia voters care more about costs than

Published

on

Keisha Lance Bottoms says Georgia voters care more about costs than


Former Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms captured the Georgia Democratic gubernatorial primary with 56% of the vote on Tuesday, surpassing the majority threshold needed to avoid a runoff and positioning herself as the Democratic nominee heading into the November general election.

“We have a very powerful campaign that’s ready to take on whoever comes out of this Republican primary in November,” Bottoms said in an interview with CBS News “The Takeout” following her victory.

Bottoms said the margin was no accident. Her campaign ran as if it were trailing throughout the race, and she said she believed internally they would clear 50%.

“We always said that we were going to run like we were 30 points down and not 30 points ahead,” she said.

Advertisement

Keisha Lance Bottoms, former mayor of Atlanta and Democratic gubernatorial candidate for Georgia, speaks during an election night event in Atlanta, Georgia, US, on Tuesday, May 19, 2026. 

Dustin Chambers / Bloomberg via Getty Images


On the Republican side, Lt. Gov. Burt Jones and businessman Rick Jackson are headed to a June 16 runoff after neither cleared the majority threshold in Tuesday’s primary. Bottoms did not draw much of a distinction between the two.

“Just in terms of their running toward Trump’s MAGA agenda, they’re equally awful in that regard,” she said. “That’s not what the people of this state want to hear. They want to hear how we are going to address these everyday issues that are impacting their lives: cost of living, access or lack thereof to healthcare, education, access to jobs.”

Advertisement

If elected in November, Bottoms would make history as the first African American woman ever elected governor of Georgia and, she believes, the first in the entire country. She said the historical significance of that milestone is not what is driving her campaign.

“I don’t go around thinking about the label of being a Black woman,” she said. “What I’m thinking about right now is just how I’m going to deliver for the people across the state. It’s just about how will you make my life better and why should I vote for you.”

Bottoms also noted that the governor’s race is an open seat; Gov. Brian Kemp is not on the ballot, which she said gives Democrats an advantage heading into November.

“There are some inherent challenges when you go against an incumbent,” she said. “The fact that it’s an open seat gives us an even better opportunity to pick up the seat.”

On policy, Bottoms outlined several priorities she said she would pursue on day one as governor. She said she would extend the current gas tax suspension to provide relief at the pump, and pledged to expand Medicaid, a move she said would reverse the closure of nine rural hospitals and stop Georgia from leaving federal dollars on the table.

Advertisement

“Half our counties don’t even have OB-GYNs and pediatricians,” she said. “People are having to travel sometimes upwards of an hour or more to receive specialized care.”

Bottoms also called for increasing the state’s average starting teacher pay from $43,000 to $60,000 a year and eliminating state income taxes for teachers. On housing, she pledged to work with builders who specialize in affordable and workforce housing through low-interest loans and grants for homeowners.



Source link

Continue Reading

Atlanta, GA

Flash flood warning issued as heavy rain falls across Atlanta

Published

on

Flash flood warning issued as heavy rain falls across Atlanta


ATLANTA, Ga. (Atlanta News First) — Heavy downpours in the city of Atlanta has prompted the National Weather Service to issue a flash flood warning and had closed all lanes of the Downtown Connector.

The rain caused several issues on roads. There are also reports of flooding along North Avenue in the city.

>> First Alert Radar

An Atlanta News First viewer showed video of a Waymo, an autonomous car, stuck in the flooded waters along North Avenue near Piedmont Avenue.

Advertisement

>> Latest Forecast

A flash flood warning was issued for Atlanta.(Atlanta News First)

The northbound lanes of the Downtown Connector were closed between Freedom Parkway and Peachtree and Pine streets exits since after 5 p.m. Shortly after 6:30 p.m., traffic started moving again.

The National Weather Service is expected to upgrade the flood warning to “considerable.”

Some areas in Downtown Atlanta saw more than 2-inches and up to 3-inches of rain fall in a short period of time, according to First Alert Meteorologist Patrick Pete.

Feel more informed, prepared, and connected with FOX Carolina. For more free content like this, download our apps.

Advertisement

Copyright 2026 WHNS. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

Atlanta, GA

Georgia family’s decision to donate son’s organs helps save dozens of lives

Published

on

Georgia family’s decision to donate son’s organs helps save dozens of lives


This spring marks five years since LifeLink of Georgia and Piedmont Atlanta Hospital partnered to create a space dedicated to families of loved ones going through the organ donation process. 

While thousands of Georgians are still waiting, the Donor Care Unit at Piedmont Atlanta is recognizing a milestone as they march on to save and extend more lives.

More than a thousand names are on the ‘Tree of Life’ wall of LifeLink of Georgia’s offices. Their names are marked to remember the more than 3700 life-saving organ donation gifts through the unit in 2025 alone. It’s a milestone that would not exist without families like Kruchtens. 

Jed and Veronica Kruchen of Forsyth County did not need much convincing. Their son Finley, a 6-foot-4 varsity football player at Denmark High School, died in October 2024 after suffering a pulmonary embolism. He was 17. 

Advertisement

“His favorite book was ‘The Giving Tree’ growing up,” Jed Kruchten said. “We both looked at each other… of course, that’s what he would want to do. There’s zero cost, and you help save lives. Why wouldn’t you do it?”

Finley donated a kidney and his heart to a 55-year-old man. A 15-year-old girl received his other kidney. He gave the gift of sight to another person and dozens more were helped through tissue donation. 

“One life. One body. What you have can help 70 people,” Jed said. 

Advertisement

CBS News Atlanta


Three months after Finley died, Jed and Veronica launched the LL74 Finley Kruchten Foundation, giving scholarships to students. Two years in, applicants are still writing about Finley by name. 

“He was described this year as legendary,” Veronica said. 

Finley’s final days were spent inside the Donor Care Unit – one of only a handful in the country. 

It does not look like a traditional intensive care unit by design. Inside, it has six ICU beds, private family rooms, and quiet spaces built for the hardest conversations. 

Advertisement

“Everybody shows up, whether it’s LifeLink or Piedmont Atlanta team members, with that intent, that compassion, solely based on honoring our donors and honoring the donor families,” said Hope Weed, executive director of LifeLink of Georgia. 

Still, the need is great. More than 3 thousand Georgians are currently on the national transplant waiting list. Nationally, that number exceeds 109 thousand. 

“There’s only 36% of Georgians that are signed up,” Weed said. “That’s why we always encourage people to learn more about organ donation. Registered donors are key.”

Georgians can register as organ donors in about 60 seconds at 

mystorycontinues.com through LifeLink’s platform. Residents can also designate their donor status when renewing a driver’s license or hunting and fishing license. And to learn more about Riley’s story, visit their foundation’s website at LL74.org.

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending