Northeast
Friends of Joshua Riibe, witness in case of missing American student, say the community 'stands behind' him

A key witness in the case of missing University of Pittsburgh student Sudiksha Konanki has the support of his community, according to a statement released by friends of his family on Sunday evening.
Konanki, a 20-year-old Virginia resident, was last seen walking on the beach outside the Riu Republica Resort in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic in the early hours of March 6, according to authorities.
The lone known eyewitness in the case, 22-year-old Joshua Riibe, of Iowa, has been questioned by authorities from various agencies as they seek answers in Konanki’s disappearance. He was one of the last people seen with Konanki while they were staying at the resort with their friends for spring break.
Friends of the Riibe family released a statement affirming their support for the college student, who has been described as a “key element” in the missing person investigation. He has not been named a suspect, nor has any crime been alleged.
DOMINICAN ATTORNEY GENERAL GRILLS WITNESS IN MISSING AMERICAN CASE AT HIS RESORT IN PERSON
Sudiksha Konanki has been missing since March 6, when she vanished during a spring break trip to a five-star resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. (Sudiksha Konanki/Facebook)
“The Rock Rapids community stands behind and supports Joshua Riibe and his family,” the statement, which was released by the Lyon County Sheriff’s Office on behalf of friends of the Riibe family, said. “The Riibe family moved to town in 2015 and has been active in various school and community events and organizations. They are well known and loved.”
“Josh has an unwavering devotion to his faith and a genuine kindness towards others,” the statement continued. “He exemplifies the values of compassion, respect and integrity that are fundamental to our church and our community.”

U.S. college student Sudiksha Konanki went missing while on vacation with her friends in Punta Cana on March 6, 2025. (Fox News Graphics)
The friends who wrote the statement urged the public to respect the Riibe family’s privacy “during this difficult time of uncertainty.”
“While Josh focuses his efforts to help find Sudiksha Konanki, his family at home is providing support to their loved ones in the Dominican Republic. Please help us respect those priorities,” the statement concluded.
AMERICAN COLLEGE STUDENT DISAPPEARS IN DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: TIMELINE

Local authorities search for missing U.S. student Sudiksha Konanki in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Friday, March 14, 2025. (Fox News Digital)
Riibe has been joined in the Dominican Republic by his parents.
Authorities revealed Saturday that his passport had been confiscated.
Read the full article from Here

Massachusetts
Cluster of Massachusetts nurses reportedly diagnosed with brain tumors

A cluster of nurses at Newton-Wellesley Hospital have reportedly been diagnosed with brain tumors, according to hospital officials who are assuring staff and patients that there’s “no environmental risk” at the facility.
But the Massachusetts Nurses Association says the hospital’s environmental testing was “not comprehensive,” as the union continues to investigate the situation.
The nurses diagnosed with brain tumors have worked in the maternal care labor/delivery unit on the hospital’s fifth floor.
As of earlier this week, 11 staff who worked at some point and for varying durations on the fifth floor had been interviewed by the Mass General Brigham Occupational Health Service.
Five cases were determined to be brain tumors of three different types — all of which were benign (non-cancerous). The only type of benign tumor that had more than one case was meningioma.
Six cases were determined to not be brain tumors, but rather other health concerns.
“Based on the results of the extensive and deliberate investigation… we want to reassure our dedicated team members and all of our patients that there is not an environmental risk at Newton-Wellesley Hospital,” Mass General Brigham wrote in its “Fifth Floor Work Environment FAQs” after a staff town hall about the situation.
“We take this very seriously; our top priority is providing high-quality care in a safe and healthy environment for our staff and patients,” Mass General Brigham added.
This situation at Newton-Wellesley Hospital was first reported by WBZ.
After hospital officials learned of the reported brain tumors, they conducted an investigation with the Department of Occupational Health and Safety, Newton-Wellesley Safety Officer, radiation and pharmaceutical safety offices, and external environmental consultants.
“Every staff member who came forward was given the opportunity to be interviewed by the Occupational Health and Safety team to evaluate each diagnosis in the context of their individual medical history and risk factors,” hospital officials said in a statement. “To evaluate for any possible environmental exposures in that area of the hospital, comprehensive environmental assessments following CDC guidelines began in December.
“The investigation found no environmental risks which could be linked to the development of a brain tumor,” the officials said, later adding, “Based on these results, we can confidently reassure our dedicated team members at Mass General Brigham/Newton-Wellesley Hospital and all our patients that there is no environmental risk at our facility. As always, the health and wellbeing of our staff, clinicians, and patients is our absolute top priority.”
Staff members have raised several concerns about this cluster of cases. The hospital addressed questions about whether brain tumor cases can be related to: wearing masks during the pandemic, the drinking water, use of x-rays, or the pharmacy on the floor below.
“There is no scientific evidence linking long-term mask use (including processing/re-wearing of masks) to the development of brain tumors,” reads the Fifth Floor Work Environment FAQs.
Water serving the hospital is tested regularly by the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority.
“Out of an abundance of caution, additional water samples from the tap and ice machines have been sent for additional testing by Triumvirate Environmental, an independent environmental testing firm,” reads the FAQs. “Those results should be available in the coming week.”
Hospital officials said they use appropriate x-ray safety techniques throughout the hospital.
“To make sure that there was not another, unknown, source of ionizing radiation on the Fifth Floor, radiation levels were surveyed across the Fifth Floor using Geiger counters,” the hospital wrote. “This did not find any abnormal/increased levels of ionizing radiation.”
The pharmacy located on the fourth floor processes chemotherapy medications.
“These are handled within an independently ventilated, closed system and with appropriate precautions and controls that have been validated as part of this investigation,” the hospital wrote. “The hoods used in the Fourth Floor pharmacy have been installed and tested to ensure that they are functioning properly and safely ventilating away from the building. This system was re-tested by Triumvirate Environmental, an independent environmental firm, as part of the investigation, and was found to be operating properly.”
The Massachusetts Nurses Association’s division of health and safety, consisting of occupational health nurses, is investigating the situation.
“We do not have a specific number (of nurses) we are releasing now because we are still verifying diagnoses via medical records. We do not have a specific cause as we are still investigating,” a spokesperson for the union said in a statement.
“We brought this to the hospital in December to urge an investigation by MGB,” the union spokesperson added. “We have been in communication with NWH nurses about this regularly and specifically with nurses who are self-reporting.”
The union spokesperson said the investigation is focused on the maternity unit, though they have reports from other areas as well.
“We are engaging with the hospital about their inquiry,” the union spokesperson said. “They only spoke to a small number of nurses and their environmental testing was not comprehensive. The hospital cannot make this issue go away by attempting to provide a predetermined conclusion.”
Originally Published:
New Hampshire
A New Hampshire Family Behind the Mortifying New Hulu Show: 'Good American Family'

HOLY. SMOKES. If you have not started ‘Good American Family’ on Hulu…you need to.
I will do my very best NOT to spoil any of the show, as it has only four episodes released and five more scheduled for next month.
‘Good American Family’ New Hampshire Beginnings
This TV series, currently releasing episodes, has captivated millions of people – for a bad reason.
The show is mortifying. It is one of those shows you feel anxious about because it is about true events.
And the craziest part, it began in New Hampshire, according to a Today article.
Read more: the #1 TV show of all time, Breaking Bad, finished the series in New Hampshire.
Without giving away too much, a New Hampshire couple adopted a girl named Natalia Grace from Ukraine in 2008. (Closed adoption for good reason).
Just two years later, in 2010, however, that same couple put Natalia back up for adoption. (also for good reason, maybe)
But WHY? How can putting a child up for adoption for a second time be a good thing?
Because the adopted child was psychotic? A little girl murder? Perhaps stealing thousands from this New Hampshire family?
Small spoiler below (it will not give away anything important…it is the premise of the show in it of itself).
The “little girl” this New Hampshire couple adopted might not have been a “little girl” after all; she may just be a fully cooked adult with dwarfism.
OH, and the other things about her being mentally ill may also be true…
I do not know yet; there have only been four episodes.
Perhaps my opinion will change, perhaps the show will go in a completely different direction.
All I know is that you NEED to watch the show, and honestly, good for the NH couple for getting out of that situation (you’ll understand once you watch it).
TV Shows We Used to Love That Are Cringe Now
We can’t say why we liked these shows, but we can certainly say why we can’t watch them now.
Gallery Credit: Emma Stefansky
LOOK: 8 TV Shows You Totally Forgot Existed
Think your memory’s playing tricks on you? Think again. These TV shows were 100% real. How many of them do you remember tuning into?
Gallery Credit: Stephen Lenz
New Jersey
Racial Wealth Gap Is Ballooning In New Jersey, Study Finds

NEW JERSEY — New Jersey is one of the richest states in the nation, but the money isn’t trickling down equally. This is the conclusion of a recent study, which found that there is a massive “racial wealth gap” that has only gotten worse in the past few years.
On Thursday, the New Jersey Institute for Social Justice (NJISJ) released a report that claims there are serious disparities in wealth among white, Black and Latino/Latina families in the Garden State.
“Due to small sample size and wide margins of error, we do not have sufficient evidence to publish with confidence the estimates of wealth for Asian people in New Jersey,” a spokesperson told Patch.
Read the full study and see its methodology here.
According to the Newark-based nonprofit, the median household wealth of white families in New Jersey is $662,500, compared to less than $20,000 for Black and Latina/o families.
The numbers are just as bad when examined on a per-person basis, the group says. For individuals, the median net worth of white New Jersey residents is $192,700 – compared with $14,000 and $5,000 for Black and Latino/Latina residents.
Advocates said that the wealth gap has only gotten worse since a similar analysis was done in 2022, which examined data gathered before the COVID-19 pandemic. Since that time, New Jersey’s $300,000 racial wealth gap between Black/Latina and white families has more than doubled to nearly $640,000, the NJISJ reported.
The report also found that there are other serious financial disparities in New Jersey:
HOMEOWNERSHIP GAP – “The statewide homeownership rate for white New Jersey households is 76.6%, nearly double the homeownership rates for Black and Latino/a New Jersey households who have homeownership rates of 41.3% and 40.4% percent, respectively. These disparities in homeownership have changed very little over the past decade.”
INCOME GAP – “The median household income in New Jersey is $110,100 for white households, but just $76,100 for Latina/o households and $68,900 for Black households.”
POVERTY GAP – “About one-sixth of Black and Latina/o families live below the federal poverty line, together making up over half of all people in poverty in the state – even though they represent about a third of the state’s population. And economic vulnerability is much more widespread than the federal poverty line reveals due to the inadequacy of the poverty line in measuring the true costs of necessities, particularly in New Jersey.”
“We did not come by these Two New Jerseys – a prosperous place for many white households and an economically uncertain one for the majority of our Black and Brown households – by accident,” said Laura Sullivan, director of the NJISJ’s Economic Justice Program.
“Where we are today is the result of choice – patterns created by design through public policies and social exclusions,” Sullivan said.
“We must, at this critical moment, choose better,” Sullivan added.
Send local news tips and correction requests to eric.kiefer@patch.com. Learn more about advertising on Patch here. Find out how to post announcements or events to your local Patch site.
-
News1 week ago
Trump Is Trying to Gain More Power Over Elections. Is His Effort Legal?
-
News1 week ago
Washington Bends to RFK Jr.’s ‘MAHA’ Agenda on Measles, Baby Formula and French Fries
-
World1 week ago
At least six people killed in Israeli attacks on southern Syria
-
News1 week ago
Companies Pull Back From Pride Events as Trump Targets D.E.I.
-
Technology1 week ago
Trump officials planned a military strike over Signal – with a magazine editor on the line
-
Technology1 week ago
The FBI launched a task force to investigate Tesla attacks
-
World1 week ago
No, Norway and Sweden haven't banned digital transactions
-
Culture1 week ago
Analysing Jamal Musiala’s bizarre corner goal for Germany against Italy