Connect with us

Connecticut

Connecticut lawmakers looking at reforms to DCF, homeschooling

Published

on

Connecticut lawmakers looking at reforms to DCF, homeschooling


Lawmakers say they’re working on reforms to a child welfare agency that’s been in the spotlight for the past 12 months.  

Rep. Corey Paris (D-Stamford), who co-chairs the Children’s Committee, said that the reform package could include training, oversight, and even more funding for staffing and resources.  

“When the state steps into a family’s life, the bar has to be set extraordinarily high and right now, quite frankly, there are places where we need to do better,” Paris said Friday.  

The legislature begins its session on Wednesday.  

Advertisement

His comments came as the mother and aunt of Jacqueline “Mimi” Torres-Garcia had court dates this week, both charged in Connecticut with the death of the 11-year-old girl.  

New Britain police found her remains in October, but believe she may have been dead for as long as a year before that.  

DCF had been monitoring Torres-Garcia, raising questions about whether it had done enough to protect her.  

That incident came roughly eight months after a 32-year-old man named “S” claimed he started a fire in his Waterbury home to bring attention to decades of neglect and abuse.  

He and his family also had contact with DCF.  

Advertisement

Sen. Jonathan Perillo, (R-Shelton), agrees with Paris that lawmakers need to look at reforms.  

He wants to see an end to virtual visits, an issue in Torres-Garcia’s case.  

Both lawmakers said they’re talking with DCF about what other changes are needed to avoid similar occurrences.  

Paris was vague on details, though, saying he’s still trying to build a consensus with Republicans, advocates, and DCF. 

The lawmakers said the problem is deeper than the two high-profile incidents.  

Advertisement

A state auditor’s report in June raised concern that DCF lost track of children 3,700 times between fiscal years 2021 and 2023.  

Lawmakers could also look at more oversight of homeschool families.  

Many states require homeschool families to bring their children for an annual visit to a local school, checking in with a mandatory reporter. Connecticut does not.  

Interim Child Advocate Christina Ghio renewed calls in March to change that, saying abusive families can minimize contact with mandatory reporters by claiming they are homeschooling their children.  

That’s what happened when Matthew Tirado died in 2017, and that allegedly happened in the case of “S.”  

Advertisement

Rep. Jennifer Leeper (D-Fairfield), who co-chairs the Education Committee, said lawmakers are looking into the issue, though no proposal has been drafted yet.  

She said she’s trying to find a balance, but she wants to ensure that state laws ensure children are safe and are getting a quality education.  

“Almost every other state has a more robust system to ensure children’s both well-being and also educational attainment and that those families, too, are enjoying a really meaningful and flexible and self-directed homeschooling experience,” she said.  

Perillo said the legislature should focus on DCF reforms.  

“DCF is the authority here, and DCF has been the home of systemic problems for decades,” he said.  

Advertisement



Source link

Connecticut

Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut could have patchy slippery road conditions in the coming days

Published

on

Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut could have patchy slippery road conditions in the coming days


Travel could be slippery in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.

According to the National Weather Service, a weak storm system passing to our north on Tuesday will bring with it a risk for patchy light freezing drizzle or flurries during the Tuesday pre-dawn hours into the rest of Tuesday morning.

The anticipated spotty coverage of freezing drizzle should minimize impacts, although unpaved roads, sidewalks and elevated bridges could still become slippery.

Advertisement

Snow accumulations, if any, should minimal.

Use caution if traveling Tuesday morning.

Accumulating snow is expected across portions of southern New England Wednesday afternoon into Wednesday evening, however, there is still some uncertainty and accumulations, if, any, should be minimal.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

One male dead following a shooting in New London

Published

on

One male dead following a shooting in New London


One person has died after a shooting in New London on Sunday night.

At around 7:20 p.m., the New London Police Department responded to a call for shots fired on Connecticut Avenue between Prest Street and McDonald Street.

Upon arrival, officers located one adult male with a gunshot wound to his lower extremity and immediately began to provide medical assistance until he was transported to the hospital for treatment.

The male was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival to the hospital.

Advertisement

The identity of the victim has not been released.

The New London Police Department is continuing to investigate the scene, including conducting interviews as a part of their investigation.

Anyone with information regarding the shooting can contact the New London Police Department Detective Division at 860-447-1481.

Anyone can also send an anonymous tip to the New London Tips 411 system by texting NLPDTip, plus the information to Tip411 (847411).

Further details will be provided as the investigation continues.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Connecticut

Man shot and killed in New London

Published

on

Man shot and killed in New London


NEW LONDON, Conn. (WFSB) – A man was shot and killed on Sunday evening in New London, according to police.

The identity of the victim has not been released.

Crews responded to reports of shots fired around 7:19 p.m. on Connecticut Avenue between Prest Street and McDonald Street.

The road remained closed for the investigation.

Advertisement

Officers found the victim with a gunshot wound to his lower extremity. He was brought to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police have also not said if they’ve identified a suspect.

The New London Police Department’s Detective Division has taken over the investigation, which remains active and ongoing. Detectives are processing the scene and conducting interviews.

Police said they are committed to ensuring community safety and will dedicate all necessary resources to the investigation.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the New London Police Department Detective Division at 860-447-1481. Anonymous tips can be submitted via the New London Tips 411 system by texting NLPDTip plus the information to Tip411 (847411).

Advertisement

Police said further information will be released as the investigation progresses.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending