Connect with us

News

Half Their Land Burned in a Decade: The California Counties Constantly on Fire

Published

on

Half Their Land Burned in a Decade: The California Counties Constantly on Fire

The Park fire started in late July outside Chico, Calif., and in just 10 days exploded to become the fourth largest in the state’s history.

A map shows the perimeter of the Park fire as of Aug. 12, 2024. It stretches across Butte County and Tehama County in Northern California.

Three years before, the Dixie fire grew so large that it became the first fire to leap over the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Advertisement

A map shows the perimeter of the Dixie fire in 2021. It covers much of northern Plumas County, to the northeast of Butte County.

In 2020, the North Complex fires, sparked by lightning in Plumas National Forest, destroyed more than 2,300 structures and killed more than a dozen people.

A map shows the perimeter of the North Complex fires in 2020.

Advertisement

And in 2018, the Camp fire razed the town of Paradise and killed 85 people, becoming the state’s deadliest fire to date.

A map shows the perimeter of Camp fire in 2018, which spread mostly in Butte County.

These four historic California fires burned in Butte County, which, along with neighboring counties near the foothills of the Sierras, has in the past decade seen much of its land engulfed in flames.

A map shows perimeters of all wildfires since 2014.

Advertisement

Since 2014, fires have burned through nearly forty percent of Butte County, according to a New York Times analysis of wildfire perimeters. An even larger share has burned in two neighboring counties, Plumas and Tehama, and in counties farther to the west, including in the heart of wine country.

Sources: National Interagency Fire Center and Cal Fire.

Advertisement

Note: A fire’s perimeter is defined as its entire outer edge or boundary, but that does not necessarily mean that the entire area within the perimeter was completely burned. Counties are shown with their relative sizes.

By The New York Times

Fires, of course, don’t know or stick to county lines. But calculating the share of counties affected by wildfires can provide insight into the growing wildfire risk statewide and across the American West.

The area that burned in Butte and Plumas Counties is more than four times as large as the area that had burned in the previous decade, the Times analysis shows, and the area burned in Tehama is more than five times as large. Over the past decade, most California counties have seen double the area burned compared with the area burned in the previous decade.

Advertisement

It’s not necessarily the case that more large fires are burning now than in previous decades, but the ones that do ignite are charring through much more land, according to Tirtha Banerjee, a professor and wildfire researcher at the University of California, Irvine. “What that says to me is that fires are getting more intense and more severe, and behaving in more unexpected ways,” he said.

A warming climate has fueled bigger and hotter wildfires, with increasingly intense spells of heat and drought turning forests into tinderboxes. The fire season arrives earlier in the year and lasts longer.

In California, decades of fire suppression policies have exacerbated the issue, leaving behind overgrown thickets of vegetation. Much of the area in the Park fire’s path, for example, hadn’t been burned for decades or longer, said Taylor Nilsson, the director of Butte County’s Fire Safe Council. That allowed large amounts of dense vegetation to accumulate, providing ample fuel for the fire.

Climate change and forest management are not the only risk factors. There is inevitably a bit of luck involved: High wind speeds can enable fires to spread farther and more rapidly.

All fires also require a spark in order to ignite. The movement of people into fire-prone areas near forests, grasslands and shrublands has bent that element of luck, making it more likely that a fire will spark.

Advertisement

While lightning caused several recent wildfires of historic proportions, human activity is the source for a vast majority of ignitions in the U.S. Of the 20 largest wildfires in California, seven were caused directly by people, and three by damaged power lines.

20 Largest Fires in California History

People were responsible for many of the state’s largest wildfires.

Fire Year Acres Official cause Counties
1 August Complex 2020 1,032,648 Lightning Mendocino, Humboldt, Trinity, Tehama, Glenn, Lake and Colusa
2 Dixie 2021 963,309 Power lines Butte, Plumas, Lassen, Shasta and Tehama
5 S.C.U. Lightning Complex 2020 396,625 Lightning Stanislaus, Santa Clara, Alameda, Contra Costa and San Joaquin
6 Creek 2020 379,895 Undetermined Fresno and Madera
8 North Complex 2020 318,935 Lightning Butte, Plumas and Yuba
9 Thomas 2017 281,893 Power lines Ventura and Santa Barbara

Source: Cal Fire

Advertisement

Note: Data accessed on Aug. 12, 2024. The Park fire is still active, and its acreage count is not final. Acres burned for the Rush fire includes areas in California and Nevada.

California’s wildfire history is punctuated by both “good” and “bad” fire seasons, but the overall size of burned areas has trended upward. In recent decades, quieter fire seasons have been followed by explosive and destructive ones. Often, a small number of extraordinarily large fires account for much of the area burned in a year.

Acres Burned by Wildfires in California

Source: Cal Fire

Advertisement

Note: Data accessed on Aug. 12, 2024.

By The New York Times

This year, the number of acres burned by wildfires has more than doubled from the previous year. Two years of wet winters in 2022 and 2023 likely contributed to vegetation growth and the buildup of fuel, said Alex Hall, the director of the Center for Climate Science at the University of California, Los Angeles. Intense heat in the weeks before the Park fire sparked — most days in July in Chico climbed over 100 degrees Fahrenheit — greatly accelerated the drying process.

There are still several months left in this year’s fire season. On Aug. 1, the National Interagency Fire Center, which helps to coordinate federal fire response, issued new warnings about fire risk for this season, saying that it expects much of California and the Western United States to be under significant threat through at least the end of September.

Advertisement

News

Northwestern settles with Trump administration in $75M deal to regain federal funding

Published

on

Northwestern settles with Trump administration in M deal to regain federal funding

Signs are displayed outside a tent encampment at Northwestern University on April 26, 2024, in Evanston, Ill.

Teresa Crawford/AP


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Teresa Crawford/AP

Northwestern University has agreed to a $75 million payout to the Trump administration to settle a discrimination investigation into the school and to restore federal funding that had been frozen throughout the inquest, the Justice Department announced on Friday.

“Today’s settlement marks another victory in the Trump Administration’s fight to ensure that American educational institutions protect Jewish students and put merit first,” Attorney General Pam Bondi said in a statement.

“Institutions that accept federal funds are obligated to follow civil rights law — we are grateful to Northwestern for negotiating this historic deal.”

Advertisement

Northwestern is one of several schools ensnared in President Trump’s campaign against university policies he has decried as “woke.”

Specifically, the Illinois private school was one of 60 colleges the Education Department accused of shirking their obligations to “protect Jewish students on campus, including uninterrupted access to campus facilities and educational opportunities” amid heated university protests against the war in Gaza.

In April, the White House announced it was withholding some $790 million in federal funds from Northwestern while the government investigated the claims. University interim President Henry Bienen said in a statement to university personnel that “the payment is not an admission of guilt,” according to the school newspaper The Daily Northwestern.

Earlier this month, Cornell reached a deal requiring the university to pay $60 million to unfreeze $250 million withheld by the Trump administration over alleged civil rights violations. The private Ivy League university said the settlement did not come “at the cost of compromising our values or independence.”

Per the agreement, Northwestern will pay out the $75 million over time through 2028 and “shall maintain clear policies and procedures relating to demonstrations, protests, displays, and other expressive activities, as well as implement mandatory antisemitism training for all students, faculty, and staff,” according to the DOJ.

Advertisement

Education Secretary Linda McMahon called the settlement “a huge win” for higher education.

“The deal cements policy changes that ‘will protect students and other members of the campus from harassment and discrimination,’ and it recommits the school to merit-based hiring and admissions,” she said in a statement.

“The reforms reflect bold leadership at Northwestern, and they are a roadmap for institutional leaders around the country that will help rebuild public trust in our colleges and universities,” she added.

An explainer posted to the university’s website said that the school decided to negotiate an agreement rather than take a chance in court, calling the cost of a legal fight “too high and the risks too grave.”

Northwestern’s Bienen said in a video statement that the school would retain its academic freedom and autonomy from the federal government.

Advertisement

“There were several red lines that I, the board of Trustees and university leadership refused to cross. I would not have signed anything that would have given the federal government any say in who we hire, what they teach, who we admit or what they study,” Bienen said.

“Put simply, Northwestern runs Northwestern.”

Continue Reading

News

Video: Meet the Theremin, an Instrument You Don’t Have to Touch to Play

Published

on

Video: Meet the Theremin, an Instrument You Don’t Have to Touch to Play

new video loaded: Meet the Theremin, an Instrument You Don’t Have to Touch to Play

The theremin is an electronic instrument that emits a beguiling, oscillating sound. Thereminists use their hands to manipulate the electromagnetic fields around its two antennae to produce sound.

By Chevaz Clarke and Vincent Tullo

November 29, 2025

Continue Reading

News

How a solar explosion grounded 6,000 Airbus planes globally

Published

on

How a solar explosion grounded 6,000 Airbus planes globally

Intense solar radiation has exposed a critical vulnerability in Airbus A320 family aircraft software, leading to the grounding of thousands of planes worldwide until fixes are applied, marking the largest recalls affecting the company in its 55-year history.

The issue affects the Elevator Aileron Computer (ELAC B) with software version L104, which calculates elevation and controls flight surfaces, causing potential data corruption at high altitudes during solar flares.

This prompted the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) to issue an Emergency Airworthiness Directive (EAD) on November 28, 2025, mandating repairs before passenger flights resume.

An X-class solar flare appears in the lower right part of the Sun in this extreme ultraviolet image from NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory. (Photo Credit: Nasa)

WHAT HAPPENED?

The problem surfaced during a JetBlue Airways A320 flight (B6-1230) from Cancun to Newark on October 30, when the plane experienced an uncommanded pitch-down at 35,000 feet, injuring at least 15 passengers and forcing an emergency landing in Tampa, Florida.

Advertisement

Airbus’s investigation linked the sudden altitude loss, brief but severe enough to exceed normal limits, to solar radiation corrupting ELAC data, though the autopilot corrected the trajectory.

This marked the only known incident, but analysis revealed broader risks across A320ceo and A320neo variants.

FLY-BY-WIRE VULNERABILITY

A320 family planes pioneered “fly-by-wire” technology, where cockpit controls send electronic signals processed by computers like the ELAC to adjust elevators and ailerons, eliminating mechanical linkages for efficiency and safety.

Solar flares, intense bursts of charged particles from the sun travelling at light speed, can penetrate aircraft electronics at cruising altitudes, flipping bits in memory and corrupting elevation calculations in vulnerable L104 software.

Advertisement

In the worst cases, uncorrected faults could trigger uncommanded elevator movements, risking structural damages.

A JetBlue aircraft suffered a flight control issue and a sudden drop in altitude that resulted in some injuries in October this year. (Photo: Reuters)

FIXES AND GLOBAL IMPACT

Airlines must revert ELAC software to L103 or replace the hardware, a process taking about three hours per plane, before the next revenue flight; passenger-free “ferry flights” (up to three cycles) allow relocation to maintenance sites.

Roughly 6,000 aircraft, nearly half Airbus’s single-aisle fleet, are affected, impacting carriers like American Airlines, Delta, and IndiGo, with disruptions during peak holiday travel.

Airbus and EASA prioritise safety, apologising for delays while coordinating rapid implementation.

Advertisement

BROADER AVIATION RISKS

Solar activity peaks every 11 years, with the current cycle heightening radiation events that already disrupt high-altitude communications; this flaw underscores growing dependencies on radiation-hardened avionics amid climate-driven space weather monitoring needs.

Material rises from the edge of the Sun, as seen in extreme ultraviolet light by Nasa’s Solar Dynamics Observatory. (Photo Credit: Nasa)

Future mitigations may include shielded processors or real-time solar alerts, but immediate groundings prevent repeats.

Global regulators echo the urgency, ensuring no passenger flights until verified safe.

– Ends

Advertisement

Published On:

Nov 29, 2025

Continue Reading

Trending