News
AT&T says hackers stole 2022 call and text data from 'nearly all' cell customers
AT&T announced on Friday that cellular customers’ text and call data from 2022 was illegally downloaded onto a third-party cloud platform back in April.
Pau Barrena/AFP via Getty Images
hide caption
toggle caption
Pau Barrena/AFP via Getty Images
AT&T says hackers stole data from “nearly all” of its cellular customers over several months in 2022 and downloaded it illegally onto a third-party cloud platform.
The Dallas-based telecommunications company announced the massive data breach in a regulatory filing and press release on Friday morning, which said it believes the data is no longer publicly available.
“AT&T has taken additional cybersecurity measures in response to this incident including closing off the point of unlawful access,” it added.
The company wrote that it first learned of the incident in April, but the U.S. Justice Department determined in May and again in June that “a delay in providing public disclosure was warranted” until now.
AT&T’s investigation found that an unspecified number of “threat actors” exfiltrated files in April containing the records of phone calls and text messages of “nearly all AT&T cellular customers” between May and October 2022, as well as a smaller number of customers on Jan. 2, 2023.
An AT&T spokesperson described the information taken as “aggregated metadata,” holding information about the calls and texts but not their contents.
The records identify other telephone numbers with which affected customers interacted, including AT&T landline numbers, as well as counts of those calls and texts and the total call durations for specific days or months.
“For a subset of the records, one or more cell site ID numbers associated with the interactions are also included,” it adds.
AT&T says the data does not include the substance or time stamps of those calls and texts, nor birthdays, social security numbers or other “personally identifiable information.” Though there is a catch.
“While the data does not include customer names, there are often ways, using publicly available online tools, to find the name associated with a specific telephone number,” it cautions.
AT&T says it is working with law enforcement to arrest the perpetrators, and “understands that at least one person has been apprehended” so far.
The company says it will notify impacted users by text, email or U.S. mail, and has also set up a webpage where current and former customers can check to see if their information was involved.
Those affected can follow an online process to obtain the phone numbers of their calls and texts in the downloaded data. AT&T says the option to request that information will be in place through the end of this year.
And for those concerned about potential phishing and online fraud, it offers some evergreen advice, including not replying to a text from an unknown sender with personal details and making sure websites are secure by looking for the “s” after “http” in the address.
It adds that customers who suspect suspicious text activity should forward the message to AT&T, and report any suspected fraud on their AT&T wireless account to its team.
This is not the first data breach that AT&T has reported this year.
It said in March that it had reset the passcodes of about 7.6 million users after it discovered a dataset on the “dark web” containing Social Security numbers and other personal information of some 70 million current and former account holders.
Separately, AT&T gave $5 to certain customers affected by a nearly 12-hour nationwide outage back in February.
Verizon, Ticketmaster, Dell and Bank of America are among the other companies that have reported major data breaches this year, affecting millions of people altogether.
News
Homeland Security suspends TSA PreCheck and Global Entry airport security programs
FILE – U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, right, shakes hands with Transportation Security Administration Officer Monica Degro at a news conference at Harry Reid International Airport, Nov. 22, 2025, in Las Vegas.
Ronda Churchill/AP
hide caption
toggle caption
Ronda Churchill/AP
WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is suspending the TSA PreCheck and Global Entry airport security programs as a partial government shutdown continues.
The programs are designed to help speed registered travelers through security lines. Suspending them could cause headaches for fliers.
Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement that “shutdowns have serious real world consequences.” She also said that “TSA and CBP are prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry and suspending courtesy and special privilege escorts.”
The partial government shutdown began Feb. 14 after Democrats and the White House were unable to reach a deal on legislation to fund the Department of Homeland Security. Democrats have been demanding changes to immigration operations that are core to President Donald Trump’s deportation campaign.
Democrats on the House Committee on Homeland Security criticized the decision about airport security.
They said on social media that the administration was “kneecapping the programs that make travel smoother and secure” and accused them of “ruining your travel on purpose.”
News
Video: How Lunar New Year Traditions Take Root Across America
new video loaded: How Lunar New Year Traditions Take Root Across America
transcript
transcript
How Lunar New Year Traditions Take Root Across America
The New York Times traveled to Honolulu, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New Orleans and New York to see how Asian American communities blend old and new customs to celebrate the Lunar New Year.
-
Growing up, I never really felt like Asian culture or Vietnamese culture in general was included in Mardi Gras. Having them go down the street with us through the French Quarter is a really special feeling. Creating safe spaces for Korean adoptees to celebrate and not worry about doing it the right way or the traditional way is really important to give people a sense of belonging. It’s always this massive production to get the day going. And it’s always fun. Because we are still nomadic in our hearts, we do yearn for that community and for that celebration. The recipe collecting and playing mahjong, they’re like the vehicle in which I can build our family story through, and that’s been really meaningful to me. For me, Losar is a family gathering. It always has been since I was younger. My family makes a specialty dish which is called gyakok. It’s similar to a Tibetan hotpot. It’s a tradition that started in Lhasa with my grandmother making it for my mother, uncle and aunt. And despite being in this diaspora, they’ve been able to maintain it to this day.

By Chevaz Clarke, Daniel Fetherston, Miya Lee and Emily Wolfe
February 21, 2026
News
NASA’s Artemis II lunar mission may not launch in March after all
A day after NASA said it was eyeing a potential March 6 launch date for the Artemis II lunar mission, the space agency now says new complications could derail all of the March launch dates. The rocket, seen here at the Kennedy Space Center launch pad on Friday, may need to be rolled back to the Vehicle Assembly Building for additional tests.
Gregg Newton/AFP via Getty Images
hide caption
toggle caption
Gregg Newton/AFP via Getty Images
Just one day after NASA said it was eyeing a potential March 6 launch date for the Artemis II lunar mission, the space agency said Saturday that complications with the rocket could delay all launch attempts in March from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

The Artemis II mission, which is set to carry four astronauts on a 10-day trip around the moon, would be the first time humans return to the vicinity of the moon since Apollo 17 in 1972.
In a blog post, NASA said it is “taking steps to potentially roll back the Artemis II rocket and Orion spacecraft to the Vehicle Assembly Building,” after technicians observed an “interrupted flow of helium” to the rocket system. NASA says its teams are “actively reviewing data” and taking steps to “address the issue as soon as possible while engineers determine the best path forward.”
NASA says a rollback from the pad to the nearby Vehicle Assembly Building would mean that the five potential launch dates in March would be off the table. NASA has six launch opportunities in April.
NASA says it’s unclear why helium flow was interrupted. The space agency says it’s reviewing data from the uncrewed Artemis I mission in 2022 in which teams had to troubleshoot helium-related pressurization of the upper stage before launch.
On Friday, following the completion of the second “wet dress rehearsal”, NASA managers were optimistic. “This is really getting real,” said Lori Glaze, acting associate administrator of NASA’s exploration systems development mission directorate. “It’s time to get serious and start getting excited.”
A test of the rocket, earlier this month, revealed several issues. During the fueling, NASA encountered problems like a liquid hydrogen leak. Swapping out some seals and other work seems to have fixed those issues, according to officials who say that the latest countdown dress rehearsal went smoothly, despite glitches such as a loss of ground communications in the Launch Control Center that forced workers to temporarily use backups.
NPR’s Nell Greenfieldboyce contributed reporting.
-
Montana3 days ago2026 MHSA Montana Wrestling State Championship Brackets And Results – FloWrestling
-
Culture1 week agoRomance Glossary: An A-Z Guide of Tropes and Themes to Find Your Next Book
-
Oklahoma5 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Science1 week agoWhat a Speech Reveals About Trump’s Plans for Nuclear Weapons
-
Culture1 week agoVideo: How Much Do You Know About Romance Books?
-
News1 week ago
Second US aircraft carrier is being sent to the Middle East, AP source says, as Iran tensions high
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
Politics1 week agoSchumer’s ‘E. coli’ burger photo resurfaces after another Dem’s grilling skills get torched: ‘What is that?’