Connect with us

Minneapolis, MN

Electrical box ignites house fire Saturday in Minneapolis, MFD

Published

on

Electrical box ignites house fire Saturday in Minneapolis, MFD


Electrical box ignites house fire Saturday in Minneapolis, MFD – CBS Minnesota

Watch CBS News


No one injured after an electrical box ignites a house on fire in North Minneapolis, according to Minneapolis Fire Department.

Advertisement

Be the first to know

Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.




Source link

Advertisement

Minneapolis, MN

Alex Pretti shooting: Minnesota BCA says FBI officially denied them access to evidence in case

Published

on

Alex Pretti shooting: Minnesota BCA says FBI officially denied them access to evidence in case


The Minnesota BCA has announced the FBI has officially informed the agency it will not allow the state access to evidence in the shooting of Alex Pretti at the hands of federal agents in Minneapolis last month.

FBI denies access to Pretti evidence

What we know:

Advertisement

In a statement on Monday, the BCA said the notification about the denial came on Feb. 13 as the agency reiterated requests for information on the shootings of Renee Good, Alex Pretti and Julio Sosa-Celis.

The state had argued in court for the preservation of evidence in the Pretti shooting and was initially granted a restraining order which was later lifted as the Department of Justice opened a civil rights investigation into the shooting. Federal officials have said the shooting is being reviewed jointly by the Department of Homeland Security and FBI.

Advertisement

What’s next:

The BCA says it will continue to investigate the shootings despite the lack of cooperation from the federal government.

Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty has said she expects to have enough evidence to make a charging decision in Pretti’s shooting along with the Good and Sosa-Celis shootings. However, there are questions about whether a state case against a federal officer would survive the courts due to the Supremacy clause in the constitution.

Advertisement

The backstory:

Alex Pretti was shot and killed on Saturday, Jan. 24 after a confrontation outside of Glam Doll Donuts along Nicollet Avenue.

Advertisement

ProPublica has identified the federal officers involved in the shooting as Border Patrol Agent Jesus Ochoa and Customs and Border Protection Officer Raymundo Gutierrez.

Witness video appears to show agents disarming Pretti before gunfire erupted. According to the New York Post, the Department of Homeland Security was investigating whether an agent misfired Pretti’s weapon after seizing it, leading other officers to mistake the accidental shot for an attack.

Full statement from the Minnesota BCA

Advertisement

What they’re saying:

The FBI formally notified the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) on Feb. 13 that it will not provide the BCA with access to any information or evidence that it has collected in the Jan. 24 shooting death of Alex Pretti. The BCA reiterated the request to receive information, access to evidence, and cooperation in the Jan. 7 shooting death of Renee Good and the Jan. 14 shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis. It remains unclear if there will be any cooperation or sharing of information related to those two shootings.

While this lack of cooperation is concerning and unprecedented, the BCA is committed to thorough, independent and transparent investigations of these incidents, even if hampered by a lack of access to key information and evidence. Our agency has committed to the FBI and Department of Justice that should its stance change we remain willing to share information that we have obtained with that agency and would welcome a joint investigation. We will continue to pursue all legal avenues to gain access to relevant information and evidence.

Advertisement

BCA investigations of these incidents continue. The BCA will present its findings without recommendation to the appropriate prosecutorial authorities for review. 

Anyone with information about the shooting of Alex Pretti, Renee Good or Julio Sosa-Celis is urged to contact the BCA at 651-793-7000 or by email at bca.tips@state.mn.us.

Advertisement
ImmigrationMinneapolis ICE shootingMinneapolis



Source link

Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

How Minneapolis is tallying the cost of ICE; Report says small businesses lost up to $81M in January

Published

on

How Minneapolis is tallying the cost of ICE; Report says small businesses lost up to M in January


Minneapolis is facing significant financial losses due to immigration enforcement operations, with a reported $200 million economic hit in January.

On Friday, Mayor Jacob Frey said that small businesses and restaurants in the city lost as much as $81 million in revenue. Minneapolis is home to over 1,200 restaurants and bars, not including other small businesses. To understand how these losses were calculated, 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS spoke with Erik Hansen, the city’s Director of Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED).

Lake Street businesses impacted by ICE surge charting economic path forward

“There’s a little bit of a squishiness to the number,” said Hansen when asked about tracking the financial impact on Tuesday, as the city was finalizing its preliminary impact report, which estimated Minneapolis small businesses collectively lost up to $81 million in January.

Advertisement

He said those calculations are based on conversations and a survey sent out a couple of weeks ago. Hansen explained that the survey was anonymous, with about 150 respondents as of Tuesday.

“It’s an anonymous poll. We have about 150 respondents to that so far, and we asked them questions about, like, what kind of impacts have you had since the beginning of the year? Can you attribute that to the Operation Metro Surge? And then, what have been the financial consequences?” said Hansen.

According to the preliminary impact report released on Friday, based on that survey and existing business summary and licensing data, the city could assume more than half — or 750 — restaurants and bars “…are experiencing major losses of $20,000 per week.” And the entire industry “…is likely experiencing a minimum loss of $15 million per week.”

The report said the city used a similar framework to add up losses for grocery, retail, entertainment, and more, concluding that “January 2026 revenue losses for small, consumer-facing businesses in Minneapolis could be as high as $81 million.”

“We are getting the best data we can, because we’ll never really, truly be able to quantify the impacts of the operation,” Hansen said.

Advertisement

The financial impact may be difficult to quantify, but it’s evident, especially on historically busy days. Paul Wu, owner of Jade Dynasty on West Lake Street, said, “Friday, for example, we normally do $20-25,000 a night, and we did $8,000. And that’s lucky.”

“It’s a big loss. We don’t make any money,” Wu added.

Immigrant-owned businesses in Minnesota struggle with reduced hours 

Earlier this month, Gina Christ, owner of The Black Forest Inn, told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS, “It bottomed out after Christmas, right? It was, it was just like a trap door opened.”

Hansen said that current business financial aid proposals from state and city officials would make up for a drop in the bucket of need.

Advertisement

He also emphasized the broader impact on the community, stating, “What’s important for us at the city right now is to articulate what the true need is in the community. And it’s not just the businesses. It’s also household budgets [that] are being impacted. People have lost wages. They’re more insecure in their housing stability… And so as we’re looking at that, once we have a better scale of what the problem is, we can start to look at resources. And those resources won’t always be money.”

The city plans to continue tracking the impact and updating the numbers, according to the preliminary impact report.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

Two people drown after breaking through ice in Twin Cities

Published

on

Two people drown after breaking through ice in Twin Cities


Two people have drowned after breaking through ice in separate incidents over the weekend in the Twin Cities. That’s as a stretch of unseasonably mild weather continues across the state, raising concerns about deteriorating ice conditions on lakes, ponds and rivers.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending