Connect with us

Michigan

Michigan lawmakers approve $82.5B state spending plan for 2025

Published

on

Michigan lawmakers approve .5B state spending plan for 2025


LANSING — Michigan lawmakers early on Thursday passed an $82.5 billion state budget for the 2025 fiscal year, with just over $59 billion going to support state government agencies and about $23.4 billion going toward education.

After a session that spanned 19 hours, the spending plan was approved at 5:10 a.m. with immediate effect, despite nearly unanimous Republican opposition, and sent on to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, who is expected to sign it into law.

It’s a bigger budget than the $80.7 billion spending plan Whitmer proposed in February, but state revenues and fund balances have improved somewhat since then.

The biggest drama surrounding the final budget plan related to school funding. The budget’s freezing of the K-12 per-pupil grant for 2025 at this year’s level of $9,608 created a split with sectors of the public school education community that has been one of Whitmer’s staunchest allies. Groups such as the Michigan Association of Superintendents and Administrators and the K-12 Alliance of Michigan spoke out strongly against the funding plan Wednesday and said it would result in layoffs. That’s despite the fact Whitmer’s administration insisted schools would have more money to spend in the classroom in 2025 than they did this year, due to a major cut in what school districts will have to pay to the school employee retirement fund.

Advertisement

Without assurances that the one-time cut in retirement expenditures will be permanent, the budget “provides no long-term funding relief and will lead to layoffs this fall and in the future, as the funding for our schools will not be enough to keep up with inflation, rising health care costs, and the ending of federal relief dollars,” the association of superintendents and administrators said in a Wednesday action call to its members.

Charter schools, which don’t pay into the Michigan Public School Employees’ Retirement System, would receive a 3.9% increase to their per-pupil grants, according to an analysis of House Bill 5507 prepared by the House Fiscal Agency.

The education budget passed the House early Thursday in a 56-54 party-line vote and hours later passed the Senate 20-18, also along party lines. Senate Republicans did not try to fight immediate effect for the two budget bills, as they could have done, since neither had the required two-thirds support.

The Democratic-led House also passed Senate Bill 911, which would reduce school district contributions to the employee retirement fund not just for 2025, but for future years. Democrats say the reduction is justified because post-retirement health care for teachers is now fully funded, though other shortfalls in the pension fund continue.

Advertisement

“Teachers and school employees have more than met their obligation to retiree health care and deserve to have their hard-earned dollars back,” said Rep. Regina Weiss, D-Oak Park, chair of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on School Aid and Education. “This legislation ends a decades-long policy that resulted in underfunded classrooms and a loss of pay for teachers.”

The main state government bill passed the Senate in a 20-17 vote, shortly before 4:30 a.m., with only Sen. Ed McBroom, R-Vulcan, joining Democrats in voting yes. The House then approved the spending plan in a 56-54 party-line vote.

Together, the bills fund the 2025 state fiscal year, which runs from Oct. 1, 2024 through Sept. 30, 2025.

The Whitmer administration and Democratic legislative leaders have framed the overall budget as one that continues her administration’s emphasis on improving education while reducing costs for Michigan families, takes steps to make Michigan more attractive for major manufacturing projects, and improves the equity of state government spending priorities to better benefit communities that have historically been underserved. Sen. Sarah Anthony, D-Lansing, chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee, said the budget is “fiscally responsible and also looks out for every Michigander.” State Budget Director Jen Flood has also characterized the budget as a return to normal after several years of sharply increased revenues, largely as a result of federal COVID-19 relief funding.

Republicans denounced the budget as bloated and accused Democrats of raiding retirement funds to find more dollars to spend, after quickly burning through a $9-billion state surplus. “They’ve created an unsustainable state budget and they want to play shell games to simply tread water,” said Sen. Thomas Albert, R-Lowell.

Advertisement

As one would expect for a governor who enjoys a Legislature controlled, albeit narrowly, by members of her own party, Whitmer got much of what she wanted in the final budget plan. But she didn’t get everything.

Whitmer’s proposed $25 million Michigan Vehicle Rebate Program was among the budget items that ended up on the committee room floor, according to a summary of Senate Bill 747 prepared by the House Fiscal Agency. It would have provided point-of-sale rebates of $2,000 for the purchase of new electric vehicles and $1,000 rebates for the purchase of internal combustion vehicles, with an extra $500 thrown in for vehicles that were union-made.

Also not making the cut in the final budget plan was Whitmer’s controversial proposal to raise an extra $80 million by massively increasing Michigan’s landfill tipping fees to $5 per ton, up from 36 cents per ton. The extra money would have been used in part to hire more people in the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy to clean up the state’s contaminated sites.

The conference committee also axed a Whitmer proposal to raise extra money by requiring motorists to “opt out” of getting a recreation passport for state parks when they renew their vehicle registrations, rather than “opting in” for the extra charge, as they do now. Had it gone ahead, the change was expected to raise a little more than $17 million extra per year.

And Whitmer’s call in her January State of the State to accelerate Michigan’s move toward universal publicly funded pre-kindergarten, by removing all income requirements for families to qualify, didn’t quite get there, either. Under the budget, 4-year-olds in all Michigan families, regardless of income, are eligible for free pre-kindergarten. But in the event there is a shortage of spaces, priority will be given to families with incomes at or below 400% of the federal poverty level.

Advertisement

Among the items included in the budget are:

  • $100 million to help the Michigan State Housing Development Authority increase housing stock and affordability through the construction of new single-family and multi-unit homes, renovation of existing units, and improvement of energy efficiency. This marks a $50 million reduction from what Whitmer called for in February.
  • $65.1 million to increase child care provider pay rates by 15%. This marks an increase from Whitmer’s February budget proposal, which called for a 10% pay hike, but it’s less than the 20% increase in child care provider rates in the version of the budget passed earlier by the Senate.
  • Creation of a Michigan Innovation Fund, assuming required state legislation is passed and signed into law, to support Michigan startups, including through direct funding, technical assistance and other services. The fund was initially proposed at $60 million.
  • An extra $15 million for the Pure Michigan tourism promotional campaign on top of the $25 million it received this year, with $14 million of the extra funding coming from remaining federal COVID-19 funding.
  • Close to $2.1 billion transferred to local road agencies from the Michigan Transportation Fund, which is an increase of $110 million from this year.
  • A 2.5% increase for operating costs at Michigan community colleges and public universities.
  • $45.5 million to assist businesses locating or expanding in Michigan, specifically around workforce needs. The money would also be used to support development of “customized talent solutions to help fill identified needs in certain industries.” This reflects an increase of the $20 million proposed for this purpose in Whitmer’s February budget proposal. Also, neither the House nor the Senate included any money under this line item in the budgets each passed earlier this year. Separately, the budget includes $2 million to increase the amount of high-tech talent in Michigan through various programs.
  • $335 million in one-time “enhancement grants,” including: $12.5 million for the planned Pine Rest Pediatric Behavioral Health Center of Excellence in Grand Rapids; $10 million for the Frankenmuth Youth Sports Complex; $10 million for Potter Park Zoo in Lansing; $7 million for Detroit Zoo infrastructure; $5 million for Mt. Clemens downtown redevelopment; $5 million for Plaza Roosevelt Park improvements in Grand Rapids; and $4 million for the Jim Crow Museum in Big Rapids.
  • $18 million in grants to museums, including $5 million to the Motown Museum in Detroit, $2 million to the Lakeshore Museum Center in Muskegon, $1 million to the Chaldean Cultural Center in West Bloomfield, and $1 million to the Michigan Flight Museum near Belleville. Another $9 million would be awarded on a competitive basis to museums and nonprofits that operate educational programs at museums or provide other support to them.
  • $6 million for Michigan orchestras, with $750,000 allocated for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and the balance going to other orchestras through a needs-based program.
  • $1.5 million for renovation costs of a township hall in Brownstown Township.
  • $10 million to support minority-owned businesses, with funds to be awarded in a “geographically diverse” manner.

Soon after approving the budget, lawmakers adjourned for a summer break. They are next scheduled to meet at the end of July.

Contact Paul Egan: 517-372-8660 or pegan@freepress.com. Follow him on X, @paulegan4.



Source link

Michigan

Michigan Football GM Sean Magee, others in recruiting department let go

Published

on

Michigan Football GM Sean Magee, others in recruiting department let go


Kyle Whittingham is parting ways with multiple key figures in his recruiting/personnel department, including General Manager Sean Magee, Director of Player Personnel Albert Karschnia and Director of On-Campus Recruiting Kayli Johnson. This news was first reported by The Michigan Insider’s Sam Webb.

Webb also reported that Director of Recruiting Sam Popper will also be leaving.

The moves come three months after the university fired head football coach Sherrone Moore. As a result, Warde Manuel hired Whittingham to take over the program. With the roster now firmly in place for the upcoming season following the transfer portal window and the signing of the 2026 class, Whittingham made the decision to part ways with most of his personnel department.

Magee joined Michigan’s staff as the program’s first football general manager in 2024, providing oversight in all off-field areas, including the management of the player personnel department, football operations and the administration of the budget for all football-related activity.

Advertisement

He was instrumental in flipping Bryce Underwood from LSU during the 2025 recruiting cycle, navigating the NIL space and helping to launch one of the country’s first NIL collectives (Champions Circle). He also worked closely with Manuel on the possibility of in-stadium advertising in the Big House.

As for Karschnia, the Michigan graduate worked as an intern with the program in the recruiting and operations departments in 2015 and 2016 before becoming Central Michigan’s director of player personnel for five seasons. In 2021, Michigan hired him back as director of recruiting operations.

Johnson leaves the program after two years of being the director of on-campus recruiting. Both her and Karschnia were pivotal in leading all recruiting operations, both at the high school and collegiate level.

While the timing is certainly something to ponder, there is a lot to glean reading through the tea leaves. Whittingham has made it apparent he wanted to bring his own staff to Ann Arbor, and one name that should shoot to the top of the replacement board is former Utah GM Robert Blechen. He helped assemble Utah’s best recruiting class in program history in 2023. He spent the previous 12 years in various front office roles at Utah, starting as the recruiting assistant in 2014-15 before working his way up to director of player personnel in 2017. Blenchen is currently on the open market, so it would make sense for him to join his old coach in Ann Arbor.

There’s obviously a LOT to unpack with this news, so stay with Maize n Brew as we continue to learn more about this story.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Michigan

Bloomfield Township residents push back against proposed event center

Published

on

Bloomfield Township residents push back against proposed event center


A controversial high-end event center planned for Bloomfield Township, Michigan, has caused some residents to speak out against the proposal in a planning commission meeting on Monday evening.

One board member said the meeting was the most contentious in over 15 years. 

The planning commission decided to table the discussion on both the site plan and changing the zoning to allow the development at Monday’s meeting.

Residents say they found out about this potential event space just weeks ago, and many of them feel that it could mean up to 1,000 people crowding their neighborhood, lowering their home values. 

Advertisement

“This is insanity what I’m hearing. I didn’t even come here that upset, but this is making me upset. You’re telling me a basketball venue, a pickleball venue, is the same as a 1,000-person venue in our backyard, drinking alcohol, dancing, getting married in the woods,” said resident Greg Yatooma.

The high-end event center may be coming to the township, just east of Franklin Road, adjacent to two residential areas. People living in those neighborhoods say they are not happy.

“Banquet halls are about noise, alcohol, traffic, lighting,” said John Kalusniak.

Restaurateur Zach Sklar, head of Peas & Carrots Hospitality Group, which is proposing the event center, was at Monday evening’s meeting but had someone else speak on his behalf.

“Again, I think the mitigation we’re proposing right now is above what the state would require due to the quality of the minor wetlands we’re impacting,” said Reid Cooksey, from Stonefield Engineering.

Advertisement

Sklar declined CBS News Detroit’s request for comment.

CBS News Detroit spoke with Brett Northcutt, who lives right next to where the event center would go if approved. 

“Hopefully we can get a lot of the things we’re concerned about removed from the plans and then everybody moves forward,” said Northcutt.

Northcutt says he believes this project would be disastrous to the home value for everyone on his street.  

“[It will be] about a 20% decrease, so for us it’s gonna be probably 400-500 thousand dollars just for one house alone,” he said.

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Michigan

CBS Sports grades Michigan, Michigan State football coaching hires

Published

on

CBS Sports grades Michigan, Michigan State football coaching hires


play

Michigan’s ride on the college football coaching carousel perhaps came unexpectedly, following the firing of head coach Sherrone Moore on Dec. 10.

The Wolverines, however, appear to have landed a strong fit as a replacement in Kyle Whittingham.

Advertisement

Michigan’s hiring of the former Utah head coach merited an “A” from CBS Sports writer Richard Johnson, who recently handed out grades for FBS hires. Michigan was one of four programs to get an A, joining Oklahoma State (Eric Morris), UCLA (Bob Chesney), and Virginia Tech (James Franklin)

Johnson gave Michigan State a B-minus for its hire of former Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald.

Michigan officially added Whittingham on Dec. 27 — four days before the Wolverines faced Texas in the Citrus Bowl — after terminating Moore for an inappropriate relationship with a staff member. Whittingham spent 21 seasons leading the Utah program, where he was 177-88 with three conference titles between the Mountain West and Pac-12.

Advertisement

Whittingham, 66, stepped down at Utah on Dec. 12.

“It wasn’t exactly a stunner that Kyle Whittingham stepped down at Utah — he had been on retirement watch annually as he got older — but it was surprising that he ended up back in the game at Michigan,” Johnson writes. “His identity should play well with the Wolverines, and the offense run by Jason Beck is tailor-made for Bryce Underwood.”

play

Michigan State football coach Pat Fitzgerald greets fans

Michigan State football coach Pat Fitzgerald greets fans at the Breslin Center on Dec. 2, 2025 in East Lansing.

Michigan State, meanwhile, fired head coach Jonathan Smith on Nov. 30 after two seasons leading the Spartans and quickly moved on to Fitzgerald, who guided Northwestern for 17 seasons before he was fired before the 2023 season. Fitzgerald went 110-101 overall, and 65-76 in the Big Ten, registered three seasons in which the Wildcats won at least 10 games, and two in which they won the Big Ten West. 

Advertisement

“Fitzgerald made waves at Northwestern by leading the Wildcats to two first-place finishes in the Big Ten West,” Johnson writes, “but struggled during the final two years of his tenure with a 4-20 combined record. It remains unclear whether Fitzgerald’s late-era swoon in Evanston was due to limited resources or if the game passed him by. For years, Fitzgerald maximized rosters with talent deficiencies. With more investment promised, the answer should come quickly.”

Whittingham will make his Michigan debut Sept. 5 at home against Western Michigan. Fitzgerald will coach his first game for Michigan State at home against Toledo, in a game also currently scheduled for Sept. 5.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending