Connect with us

Detroit, MI

Detroit gets building-powered EV chargers

Published

on

Detroit gets building-powered EV chargers


The electric vehicle chargers installed a few days ago on Lafayette Boulevard blocks from the Lodge Freeway in Detroit don’t look like any EV chargers you’ve seen before.

The two slim, stainless steel units stand like small curbside sentries, but you’d be forgiven if you mistook them for something else entirely. That’s by design.

Nathan King, the co-founder and CEO of it’s electric, the “Brooklyn-born” company behind these units, sees them as street furniture that solves many of the challenges most EV charging infrastructure fails to account for, especially in urban settings. King, an architect, described the lightbulb moment about three years ago that led to the creation of it’s electric, seeing people tossing electrical cords out their windows to charge up electric vehicles in the city.

Multiunit rental properties have long posed a challenge for EV ownership.

Advertisement

The Detroit units had their ribbon cutting on May 1, following similar openings in Boston and San Francisco, King said. At least 23 more charging locations are planned within the city limits.

Representatives from DTE Energy, Newlab Detroit, Bedrock and the city of Detroit were on hand to give remarks about the process to date and the promise of a new EV charging option. The so-called “behind-the-meter” connection ties to a building’s electrical supply, rather than requiring a more involved utility connection, and promises a cut of income that the charging units generate to the building owner. In this case, the property is owned by Bedrock, and it houses the Detroit Smart Parking Lab.

Users connect to the chargers with a detachable cord that they carry with them, avoiding the scenario of cable theft or damage that an errant car might cause hopping a curb, for instance. Users can set up an account and request a cable through the it’s electric smartphone app.

Advertisement

The units are Level 2 chargers, which the U.S. Transportation Department says can charge an electric vehicle to 80% from empty in four to 10 hours. Rates are expected to vary by city, but the cost to charge a typical EV for 9 hours overnight using the it’s electric chargers was estimated at $13.

Grants from the Michigan Economic Development Corp. Office of Future Mobility and Electrification, DTE Emerging Technology Fund, Michigan Central Scale Fund and federal Ride and Drive funding support the initial deployments in Detroit, according to information provided about the ribbon cutting. The grant total for the company’s work in Detroit is $1.78 million, although the largest piece, from the federal government, also funds deployments in three other cities.

Tim Slusser, the city’s chief of mobility innovation, described many conversations as officials worked to figure out how to allow this type of installation project. Now there’s a process in place to deal with permitting, which he estimated should take about 30 to 60 days going forward, not including going before city council.

Slusser expressed enthusiasm for what’s been accomplished with this project and what it portends. The city needs more EV charging infrastructure, Slusser said.

It secured a $23.4 million grant from the federal government last year to expand that infrastructure, but with the change in presidential administrations, the status of a second $15.2 million grant announced for the city and the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments earlier this year is unclear.

Advertisement

“We are very hungry for as many solutions as possible,” he said. “We’re interested in partnering with more companies like this.”

Contact Eric D. Lawrence: elawrence@freepress.com. Become a subscriber. Submit a letter to the editor at freep.com/letters.



Source link

Detroit, MI

Detroit Pistons injury report: Jalen Duren out vs Miami Heat

Published

on

Detroit Pistons injury report: Jalen Duren out vs Miami Heat


play

Detroit Pistons big Jalen Duren will miss their road game against the Miami Heat on Saturday, Nov. 29.

The fourth-year center is out with a lower leg contusion, according to the team’s 1:30 p.m. injury report ahead of the 8 p.m. tip-off (FanDuel Sports Network Detroit Extra). It will be Duren’s third absence in what has been a breakout season, averaging 19.5 points, 11.8 rebounds, two assists and 1.1 blocks per game.

Advertisement

The first-place Pistons (15-4 overall) will be shorthanded when they face a Heat team that has won six consecutive games and sits third in the Eastern Conference. Caris LeVert (right knee soreness) is listed as questionable.

Detroit is coming off of consecutive close losses following a franchise record-tying 13-game winning streak, with Friday’s 112-109 home defeat to the Orlando Magic knocking them out of NBA Cup contention.

Advertisement

MUST WATCH: Make “The Pistons Pulse” your go-to Pistons podcast, listen available anywhere you listen to podcasts (Apple, Spotify)] 

Follow the Pistons all year long with the best reporting at freep.com/sports/pistons.

Follow the Detroit Free Press on Instagram (@detroitfreepress), TikTok (@detroitfreepress), YouTube (@DetroitFreePress), X (@freep), and LinkedIn, and like us on Facebook (@detroitfreepress).





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

Detroit police investigating report of baby left on porch; New details add context to situation

Published

on

Detroit police investigating report of baby left on porch; New details add context to situation



The Detroit Police Department confirmed that it responded to a call concerning a baby found on a porch on Thanksgiving night. 

Advertisement

Police responded to a home on Cruse Street near Fenkell Avenue. Police said their child abuse unit is investigating.

However, CBS News Detroit spoke with a source who confirmed the child wasn’t left on the porch. A teenage family member at the home, in fact, gave birth to the child, according to the source.

On Friday, a family member told CBS News Detroit that a teenager living at the Cruse Street home was pregnant, and that the family was unaware of the news. When the family initially received the news that a child was on the porch, the police were contacted.

Attorney Jeff Abood with Abood Law believes charges could be forthcoming.

“If somebody were to abandon an infant or child, then they could face criminal charges,” Abood told CBS News Detroit.

Advertisement

In 2001, a safe delivery law was implemented in Michigan. It allows parents to surrender their newborn child, no more than 3 days old, to any uniformed on-duty employee at a hospital, fire department, or police station. State records show nearly 400 babies have been safely surrendered in Michigan.

“You could do that without any sort of criminal responsibility, assuming it was done properly and done right,” Abood said.

With these latest developments, Detroit police haven’t said what will happen next.

According to the family member who talked to CBS News Detroit, the baby and mother are in the hospital and expected to be OK.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

The Packers got away with one but Detroit Lions still need fixes

Published

on

The Packers got away with one but Detroit Lions still need fixes


play

The hole and the wink aren’t related. Not really. 

Well, maybe. 

Advertisement

OK, they are. 

Just not how you think. And not how you want. 

There is cause-and-effect. There is coincidence.  

What happened at Ford Field on Thursday, Nov. 27, when the Green Bay Packers benefited from the officials’ mistake – or two – also exposed the Detroit Lions. 

Again. 

Advertisement

The Lions haven’t been good enough this season – in the trenches, on the margins – and it’s jarring, as reality so often is.  

On Thursday, they couldn’t pressure the quarterback, they couldn’t protect their own quarterback when they absolutely needed to. They couldn’t convert on third-and-short or fourth-and-short, and Green Bay could – and did. 

The difference in the game, said the man who winked – Packers coach Matt LaFleur. The difference in the game, said the man who mentioned the “hole” – Lions coach Dan Campbell.  

Advertisement

As in: “We are in a little bit of a hole. That’s just what it is,” Campbell said after his team’s 31-24 loss. “There’s nothing more than that. All we got to do is worry about cleaning up this and then getting to the next game and finding a way to win the next one.” 

The next one is, of course, against the Dallas Cowboys. Right back at Ford Field. Also a Thursday game (on Dec. 4). This time at night. Another must-win. 

Though there are must-wins and there are must-wins. The Lions aren’t at the latter just yet. Too many games left. Too many possibilities.  

The season isn’t finished, even if it feels like it will be soon. Then again, that feeling is also a way to cope, to deal with unmet expectations, to deal with being in “a hole,” to say: It’s over … and move on to college hoops or hockey, or even the Pistons. 

Advertisement

Or to silence in your basement. 

A wink and a nod from LaFleur

Which brings us back to the wink, which many will relate to the “hole,” because behind the wink, there is acknowledgement of a gift, from an official. 

No, not cash or anything so direct or gauche. But the gift of a gathering, where folks dressed in black-and-white stripes huddled to discuss whether LaFleur had called a timeout before one of his offensive linemen jumped offsides, and concluded the timeout came first.  

“Of course, they got it right,” said LaFleur, who winked as he said it. “What do you think?” 

Advertisement

And:  

“Yeah, I was calling timeout. … We call it a delay situation. Obviously, it was a timeout that we were going to use if they didn’t jump offsides, so we were going for it there regardless.” 

If the flag stays, maybe the Packers convert. Maybe they don’t. But for LaFleur to act like fourth-and-6 is the same as fourth-and-1 is well, worthy of a wink.  

That’s a tough look for the NFL, and an exasperating look for Lions fans. But so is the lack of a pass rush, and the season-long inability to make the play or two needed to win against the better teams in the league. 

Advertisement

All of it can be true. The Lions got jilted. The Packers thought it was funny. The Lions still need to play much, much better. 

Yeah, he winked. That’s indisputable. Nor is proof hard to find. Search “LaFleur and wink” and watch it pop up quickly – everywhere. Or at least everywhere the NFL and its officials are discussed, or everywhere the NFL is discussed. 

And now everywhere the Lions are discussed.  

The refs blew it. Then said they didn’t. That’s maddening, too. That’s also not why the Lions lost and fell further into their hole in the NFC North and overall playoff standings.  

That could change. A lot needs to change with the Lions first.  

Advertisement

“It all starts with you doing your job, which is us, and finding a way to win the next one in front of us,” said Campbell. “It really is that simple. Don’t make more of it than need be. It’s frustrating, it sucks, it’s tough, but we did it to ourselves and we’re the only ones who are going to get out of it as well.” 

Wink …  

… or not.  

Contact Shawn Windsor: swindsor@freepress.com. Follow him @shawnwindsor.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending