Entertainment
Britney Spears ends protracted battle with her father over conservatorship legal fees
Britney Spears and her father Jamie Spears, her former conservator, have settled their protracted legal dispute over the payment of his legal fees and how he managed her finances during her 13-year conservatorship.
The two parties settled for an undisclosed amount Thursday in Los Angeles County Superior Court after first filing about the issue in December 2021. The settlement helps the 42-year-old pop superstar avoid continued litigation, including a hearing that had been set for May, over her father’s alleged financial misconduct during the controversial legal arrangement.
The infamous court-ordered guardianship, which was implemented in 2008 after Spears exhibited a spate of erratic behavior, dictated the superstar’s personal and professional life, and controlled her money, for more than a decade. Jamie Spears, 71, served as the conservator of her person and estate for years before resigning as her personal conservator in 2019 over “personal health reasons.” He was removed as a conservator of her estate in September 2021, and the legal arrangement was terminated altogether more than two years ago, but the fallout over accounting issues and legal fees carried on in court until last week.
“Although the conservatorship was terminated in November 2021, her wish for freedom is now truly complete,” the singer’s attorney, Mathew S. Rosengart, said Monday in a statement to The Times. “As she desired, her freedom now includes that she will no longer need to attend or be involved with court or entangled with legal proceedings in this matter.”
Rosengart, who changed the trajectory of the Grammy winner’s situation after he was hired as her personal attorney in July 2021, said it has been an “honor and privilege to represent, protect, and defend Britney Spears in that matter.”
Jamie Spears’ attorney, Alex Weingarten, also confirmed that a settlement had been reached to resolve all outstanding disputes but would not comment on the specifics because the settlement is confidential.
“At the insistence of counsel for Ms. Spears, the settlement is confidential and I cannot discuss it,” Weingarten said Monday in an email to The Times. “Jamie has nothing to hide and would be happy to disclose everything about every aspect of the conservatorship so that the public knows the actual truth. Jamie loves his daughter very much and has always done everything he can to protect her.”
Last week, Weingarten told People that Jamie Spears is also “thrilled that this is all behind him,” adding that it is “unfortunate that some irresponsible people in Britney’s life chose to drag this on for as long as it has.”
Jamie Spears, who had sought court approval for more than $2 million in payments to multiple law firms before officially relinquishing control of his daughter’s finances, also sought fees to be paid to his own attorneys. However, Rosengart objected to the fees, arguing that Britney Spears should not have to pay her father’s legal bills because he had paid himself millions as her conservator, improperly surveilled her and engaged in financial misconduct during his tenure, the New York Times reported.
Jamie Spears has denied any wrongdoing.
The “… Baby One More Time” and “Toxic” singer appeared to address the latest legal development on Instagram in a since-deleted post that blasted her parents.
“My family hurt me !!! There has been no justice and probably never will be !!!” she wrote, according to a screenshot of the Sunday post published by TMZ.
“The way I was brought up I was always taught the formative of right and wrong but the very two people who brought me up with that method hurt me !!! I am so lucky to be here !!!,” she added.
Spears, who has long contended that she’s afraid of her father, said she hasn’t told her parents her thoughts face to face. The mother of two also said she misses her home in Louisiana and wishes she could visit but “they took everything.”
Meanwhile, citing sources with “direct knowledge,” TMZ reported Monday that Spears is in “serious danger” on both the mental and financial fronts, faring far worse than she had been when she was under the control of the conservatorship.
Rosengart and Weingarten declined to comment on the allegations.
After the conservatorship ended, the “Mickey Mouse Club” alum wrested back control of her life and narrative and has basked in her newfound freedom, including making moves that have seemingly led to new revenue streams.
In 2022, the former Las Vegas headliner landed a $15-million book deal that resulted in the publication of her bombshell memoir “The Woman in Me” last fall. The revelatory account — chronicling her early career, romances with Justin Timberlake and Kevin Federline and the conservatorship — was released to much fanfare and impressive sales. It sold more than 1.1 million copies in the United States its first week. In January, Gallery Books, a division of Simon & Schuster, announced that the book had sold more than 2 million copies in the U.S. alone across multiple formats. The audiobook, recited by Oscar winner Michelle Williams, became the fastest selling in the company’s history.
Hollywood producers, including Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie and Reese Witherspoon, have reportedly also been looking to adapt the book for the big screen.
Although Spears has largely retreated from her live-performance career, she has been flaunting her freedom and lifestyle on Instagram, posting photos from the various destinations she has traveled to via private jet. She is also presumably enjoying the royalties from her 2022 collaboration with Elton John on “Hold Me Closer,” a reimagining of his 1970s classic “Tiny Dancer.”
Movie Reviews
‘Death Has No Master’ Review: Asia Argento Plays a Woman Contending With Unwanted Housemates in Listless Venezuelan Drama
Featuring powerfully atmospheric music and sound design, and a sense of tropical place so moistly palpable one might feel concerned about developing crotch rot after viewing, Venezuelan writer-director Jorge Thielen Armand’s third feature, Death Has No Master, is well dressed up but doesn’t really go anywhere.
Mind you, his previous full-length works, La Soledad and La Fortaleza (Fortitude), were similarly light on action but strikingly moody. However, somehow their arthouse idiosyncrasies felt more audacious. Given that this is his first outing with a relatively well-known star — Asia Argento, playing a woman returning from Europe to Venezuela to sell off her late father’s cacao estate — expectations may have perhaps irrationally piqued that he’d up his game somehow. But the final product doesn’t come to a boil, despite the promising simmering of the first act.
Death Has No Master
The Bottom Line Lots of atmosphere, little substance.
Venue: Cannes Film Festival (Directors’ Fortnight)
Cast: Asia Argento, Dogreika Tovar, Yermain Sequera, Jorge Thielen Hedderich, Arturo Rodríguez, Jericó Montilla, José Aponte, Rafael Gil, Juan Francisco Borges, Teresa Bracho, Ana Helena Anglade Armand, Gumercindo Aponte
Director/screenwriter: Jorge Thielen Armand
1 hour 46 minutes
After an ominous maybe-dream/maybe-flashback sequence, never entirely explained, which finds Argento’s protagonist Caro in a ravine where one masked man covered in blood (Roberto Conde) encourages her to kill another (David Tiburcio), the action cuts abruptly to Caro, newly landed in the country. After being stopped by cops looking for a quick bribe, her driver reassures her that Venezuela is much safer now that they’ve killed all the criminals.
Not entirely reassured, but at least in possession of the deeds to her father’s house where she grew up after meeting her lawyer Roque (Jorge Thielen Hedderich, the director’s father and star of La Fortaleza), Caro arrives at the decrepit mansion. A stone construction decorated with bas-relief Corinthian column motifs with an interior that’s all chipped parquet flooring and shabby chic Victorian furniture, the house is by this point barely separate from the encroaching tropical forest that surrounds it. No wonder Roque has warned her that the house and the land surrounding it are not worth the million dollars she expects; she’ll be lucky if it fetches half that.
But home improvement is the least of Caro’s worries. There are various people living at the house, seemingly at the dispensation of Sonia (Dogreika Tovar, a non-professional with an incredible screen presence). Sonia remembers Caro from the old days when she worked for Caro’s father, and has been at the house for years, living there now with her son Maiko (Yermain Sequera, another find), a kid old enough to be in elementary school if only he were enrolled in one. A tenant (José Aponte) rents a room from Sonia and may sometimes share her bed, while old retainer Yoni (Arturo Rodríguez) also has the run of the estate, especially the plantation. Luckily, his loyalties lie more with Caro, which is lucky as things swiftly turn sour between Caro and Sonia when the former tells the latter she’s going to have to leave so Caro can sell the estate.
Not that we see her getting in the real-estate agents or even doing much about the dead leaves everywhere. After spending a lot of time in bed and looking at mysterious books of illustrations her father left lying about among his Chekhovian rifle and machete, Caro moves to the town for a while to stay in a hotel and plot with Roque about how to get rid of Sonia. The police are clearly not going to help, claiming that Sonia has a right to stay put having lived there more than five years, and anyway, she has other legal claims on the place.
Presumably, this was all filmed well before U.S. forces captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro earlier this year, not that the abduction has had much effect on the country’s regime. But it’s clear from the attitude of the locals that no one likes a pushy, arrogant gringa like Caro around these parts, least of all one who struts about in leather boots and a gaucho hat like she owns the place. Well, yes, she does own it technically, but it’s not a good look here, where the sufferings of colonial rule are well remembered. As one policewoman points out, all she’s lacking is a whip. (Don’t worry, there’s also a whip back at the house, which will play a significant role in the story.)
Argento has enough instinctive ferality about her to make her blend well with the less experienced actors, but this is not one of her better performances and the character is very underwritten. The sound and music tracks by Sylvain Bellemare and Vittorio Giampietro, respectively, have to work extra hard to make it feel like something is going to happen, eventually, and it won’t be pretty. Mission accomplished, but that doesn’t quite make for an entirely satisfying viewing experience.
Entertainment
No time for a ‘Mandalorian’ rewatch before getting your ‘Grogu’ on? We got you covered
Not too long ago in this very galaxy, audiences watched a helmeted bounty hunter meet a mysterious big-eyed alien toddler on their TVs, and “Star Wars” was changed forever.
After charming fans for three (and a half) seasons, the Mandalorian and Grogu — the once unnamed child unofficially dubbed Baby Yoda, who has since been promoted to title character status — are making their way to the big screen Friday. “The Mandalorian and Grogu” will see the duo take on a job from the New Republic that brings them into the orbit of a familiar “Star Wars” crime family — the Hutts.
Directed by “The Mandalorian” creator Jon Favreau, the movie takes place some time after the events of the show’s third season, which concluded in 2023. In the Season 3 finale, the gunslinging warrior Din Djarin officially adopted his Force-sensitive charge, whose full name then became Din Grogu, and took him on as a proper Mandalorian apprentice.
Needing to be a bit more discerning about the jobs that he takes as he trains his kid, Mando became a gun-for-hire for the New Republic, helping them track down any remaining Imperial sympathizers and others who threaten the galaxy’s tenuous peace.
Premiering in 2019, “The Mandalorian” was meant to appeal to the “Star Wars” faithful while also being an entry point for those new to the franchise. The show has developed its own lore over the years as characters from other movies and shows joined the fray to expand the show’s footprint in “Star Wars” canon.
Here’s a spoiler-free rundown of what you need to know about the Mandalorian, Grogu and the rest of the players who take center stage in the first “Star Wars” movie since 2019.
The Mandalorian (Pedro Pascal) and Grogu have been hunting down Imperial war criminals for the New Republic.
(Lucasfilm)
Do I need to watch ‘The Mandalorian’ before watching ‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’?
Not really! Although the movie is a continuation of the series, “The Mandalorian and Grogu” is a self-contained story that does not require any “Star Wars” homework. The main points to know are that Mando is a bounty hunter for the good guys and Grogu is his Force-sensitive adopted child and apprentice.
There are, of course, Easter eggs and references throughout the movie for those who have followed “The Mandalorian” and other “Star Wars” shows, so there is added payoff for those familiar with the world.
What should I watch to know everything about the Mandalorian and Grogu?
For the full backstory of the lovable parent-child duo, watch “The Mandalorian” Seasons 1 and 2, then “The Book of Boba Fett” Episodes 5 through 7 and finish up with “The Mandalorian” Season 3.
Those 27 episodes cover Mando and the child’s first meeting, their travels as the bounty hunter grows increasingly protective of his charge, the Mandalorian’s quest to reunite Grogu with the Jedi, the youngling’s snackish habits, Mandalorian history and more.
The Twins are Jabba the Hutt’s cousins.
(Lucasfilm)
What else should I watch to know everything for ‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’?
Those interested in doing their full “Star Wars” homework (with extra credit) will want to revisit the full seven-episode season of “The Book of Boba Fett” rather than just the Mandalorian and Grogu episodes. The show includes the first appearance of the Twins, cousins of the late Jabba the Hutt who are interested in what remains of his criminal enterprise.
Rotta the Hutt, meanwhile, is introduced as an infant in the animated 2008 movie “Star Wars: The Clone Wars.” In the movie, which takes place between the events of “Episode II — Attack of the Clones” and “Episode III — Revenge of the Sith,” Rotta is kidnapped as part of a plan to turn Jabba against the Republic, but it doesn’t reveal much more about him. Anyone up for catching all of the Easter eggs should also watch “The Clone Wars” animated series.
A familiar bounty hunter from “The Clone Wars” animated series has also been spotted in the trailers for “The Mandalorian and Grogu.” While Embo didn’t have much screen time, he can be glimpsed among the scum and villainy in a handful of episodes including Season 2 Episode 17, Season 5 Episode 14 and Season 6 Episode 5.
Those curious about the backstory of Zeb Orrelios, who first appeared in live-action among other former Rebellion fighters at the Adelphi base in “The Mandalorian” Season 3 Episode 5, should check out “Star Wars Rebels.” Among the key episodes that center Zeb, a Lestat warrior whose people had been nearly wiped out for standing up against the Empire, are Season 1 Episode 3 and Season 2 Episodes 14 and 17.
None of these other installments are crucial for following the events of the new movie, though.
Bai, from left, Clang, Keeto and Grogu in “The Mandalorian and Grogu.”
(Lucasfilm)
What about those cute alien mechanics that even Grogu seems obsessed with?
The diminutive aliens are the Anzellans, described as “the best droidsmiths of the Outer Rim” when Mando and Grogu are introduced to them in “The Mandalorian” Season 3 Episode 1. The first Anzellan to appear on screen, however, was Babu Frik in “Episode IX — The Rise of Skywalker,” which, in the “Star Wars” timeline, takes place after the events of “The Mandalorian and Grogu.”
Movie Reviews
Train to Busan Director’s New Zombie Movie Draws Bite-Worthy RT Reviews
Train to Busan’s director is back with a new zombie movie, and Rotten Tomatoes reviews are pouring in. Here’s what critics are saying about Yeon Sang-ho’s Colony after its Cannes 2026 premiere.
What critics are saying about Colony in reviews
Director Yeon Sang-ho’s latest Korean zombie thriller Colony has drawn a range of reactions from critics following its Cannes 2026 premiere. The film stars Jun Ji-hyun as a professor trapped inside a sealed biotech facility after a rapidly mutating virus breaks out among conference attendees.
On the positive side, Joonatan Itkonen of Region Free called the film “clever and unexpected, if never quite scary,” praising it as “a thrilling zombie romp from one of the masters of the genre.” Juan Luis Caviaro of Espinof agreed it has “everything it takes to become another hit for Korean genre cinema,” while Nikki Baughan of Screen International noted that “as a modern zombie movie, Colony certainly has a satisfying bite.” Chris Bumbray of JoBlo called it “an epic return to zombie-form from the director of Train to Busan.”
Not all critics were convinced, however. Emma Kiely of Little White Lies felt the film’s concept “isn’t nearly revolutionary enough to hang a two-hour film on.” Ritesh Mehta of IndieWire observed that while “the deck he crafts is often masterful,” the film’s “communication lessons and memory of human loss don’t hit hard enough.” Jason Gorber of Next Best Picture was the harshest, calling the film “flawed and forgettable.”
Colony gets a strong score on Rotten Tomatoes
Despite the mixed opinions, Colony currently holds a Fresh score of 70% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 10 critic reviews. The majority of reviewers awarded the film 3 or 4 out of 5 stars, with praise centered on its creature design and relentless pacing.
With a limited U.S. theatrical release set for August 28, 2026 through Well Go USA Entertainment, the film’s solid Tomatometer score suggests it should appeal to fans of Korean action-horror. Colony may not reach the heights of Train to Busan, but the early critical consensus positions it as a worthy genre entry from a proven filmmaker.
-
Dallas, TX5 minutes agoDallas felon arrested after allegedly shooting 14-year-old inside vacant Pleasant Grove home
-
Miami, FL11 minutes agoSister of high-ranking Cuba conglomerate official arrested by ICE in Miami
-
Boston, MA17 minutes ago
FIFA permit delays for watch parties deepen World Cup woes in Massachusetts – The Boston Globe
-
Denver, CO23 minutes agoPolice investigate shooting at Montbello Recreation Center
-
Seattle, WA29 minutes ago3 Seattle Seahawks UDFAs Who Could Steal a Spot on 53-Man Roster
-
San Diego, CA35 minutes agoColorado Muslims grieving, want accountability after San Diego mosque shooting
-
Milwaukee, WI41 minutes agoFBI seeks to interview Milwaukee police about 2020 election
-
Atlanta, GA47 minutes agoVideo shows person of interest in deadly Atlanta shooting, police say