Connect with us

News

Donald Trump ordered to pay $83.3mn in defamation trial

Published

on

Donald Trump ordered to pay .3mn in defamation trial

Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

A New York jury has ordered former president Donald Trump to pay $83.3mn for defaming the writer E Jean Carroll after she accused him of sexual assault, the latest courtroom setback for the former US president who is battling multiple legal cases as he fights to return to the White House.

The verdict, which was handed down on Friday, comes atop the $5mn Trump was ordered to pay Carroll after a separate trial in May, in which a jury found that he had sexually abused, but not raped, her.

The bill could soon grow steeper, with the former president also facing potential damages upwards of $350mn in a separate fraud trial involving his family business, the Trump Organization. A New York judge is expected to issue his judgment before the end of the month.

Advertisement

Carroll’s lawyers had argued that Trump should pay at least $24mn in damages in the latest trial. Jurors deliberated for just a few hours before returning their decision. The award on Friday included $65mn in punitive damages, which are meant to punish or deter.

The verdict capped yet another ill-tempered trial in which the former president trampled on courtroom etiquette and provoked the ire of a respected judge. In one characteristically ornery display on Friday he stormed out of the courtroom during closing arguments.

On Friday evening Trump vowed in a post on his Truth Social social media network to appeal against the decision: “Absolutely ridiculous! . . . Our Legal System is out of control, and being used as a Political Weapon.”

Carl Tobias, a professor at the University of Richmond School of Law, said he believed Trump’s conduct had contributed to the jury’s decision. “He just displayed throughout the trial that he had nothing but contempt and disdain for anyone involved in it,” Tobias said, adding that it was “pretty obvious he wasn’t chastised and hadn’t taken to heart the previous case”.

The defamation trial is among a welter of legal challenges against Trump, ranging from the way he operated his business to his alleged attempts to overturn the 2020 election.

Advertisement

Even though they threaten potentially steep fines and prison time, Trump’s legal troubles do not appear to have cooled the ardour of Republican voters, who handed him a decisive victory in New Hampshire and Iowa nominating contests, cementing his status as a frontrunner to become his party’s presidential candidate in 2024. 

Carroll, a former magazine writer, came forward in 2019 to accuse Trump of raping her in a dressing room at the Bergdorf Goodman department store sometime around 1996. She filed suit after the then-president responded by calling her “a con job” and insisting he had never met her.

The most recent trial was to consider what damages, if any, Trump should be forced to pay for a separate set of statements he made about Carroll in 2019, while he was in the White House, including the claim that she had fabricated her story in order to sell a book. The judge, Lewis Kaplan, had previously determined that Trump had defamed Carroll. 

“I am here because Donald Trump assaulted me, and when I wrote about it he lied and he shattered my reputation,” Carroll, 80, told jurors when she testified as Trump looked on, shaking his head and scowling.

Her lawyer, Shawn Crowley, accused Trump of using “the biggest microphone on the planet” to attack Carroll while serving as president. Crowley showed the jury violent threats that had been made against her by his followers on social media, and noted that Carroll now sleeps with a gun nearby.

Advertisement

Trump’s lawyer, Alina Habba, countered that Carroll had been using the allegations against her client to raise her profile and garner attention. Trump, meanwhile, dismissed the trial as yet another attempt to derail his campaign.

The nine jurors selected for the trial were forced to undertake extraordinary security precautions, given the heated atmosphere surrounding the former president. At one point Kaplan threatened to ban Trump from the courtroom for speaking too loudly while seated at the defence table. “I would love that,” he retorted. 

Trump, who was a frequent presence in the courtroom during the proceedings, took the stand on Thursday to testify, to much anticipation. But under strict limitations from Kaplan about what he could say, the testimony lasted just a few brief minutes, in which Trump said his intention was not to hurt Carroll, but “to defend myself, my family and in fact the presidency”.

As he left the courtroom on Thursday, he fumed: “This is not America.”

Advertisement

News

Homeland Security suspends TSA PreCheck and Global Entry airport security programs

Published

on

Homeland Security suspends TSA PreCheck and Global Entry airport security programs

FILE – U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, right, shakes hands with Transportation Security Administration Officer Monica Degro at a news conference at Harry Reid International Airport, Nov. 22, 2025, in Las Vegas.

Ronda Churchill/AP


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Ronda Churchill/AP

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is suspending the TSA PreCheck and Global Entry airport security programs as a partial government shutdown continues.

The programs are designed to help speed registered travelers through security lines. Suspending them could cause headaches for fliers.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement that “shutdowns have serious real world consequences.” She also said that “TSA and CBP are prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry and suspending courtesy and special privilege escorts.”

Advertisement

The partial government shutdown began Feb. 14 after Democrats and the White House were unable to reach a deal on legislation to fund the Department of Homeland Security. Democrats have been demanding changes to immigration operations that are core to President Donald Trump’s deportation campaign.

Democrats on the House Committee on Homeland Security criticized the decision about airport security.

They said on social media that the administration was “kneecapping the programs that make travel smoother and secure” and accused them of “ruining your travel on purpose.”

Continue Reading

News

Video: How Lunar New Year Traditions Take Root Across America

Published

on

Video: How Lunar New Year Traditions Take Root Across America

new video loaded: How Lunar New Year Traditions Take Root Across America

transcript

transcript

How Lunar New Year Traditions Take Root Across America

The New York Times traveled to Honolulu, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New Orleans and New York to see how Asian American communities blend old and new customs to celebrate the Lunar New Year.

Growing up, I never really felt like Asian culture or Vietnamese culture in general was included in Mardi Gras. Having them go down the street with us through the French Quarter is a really special feeling. Creating safe spaces for Korean adoptees to celebrate and not worry about doing it the right way or the traditional way is really important to give people a sense of belonging. It’s always this massive production to get the day going. And it’s always fun. Because we are still nomadic in our hearts, we do yearn for that community and for that celebration. The recipe collecting and playing mahjong, they’re like the vehicle in which I can build our family story through, and that’s been really meaningful to me. For me, Losar is a family gathering. It always has been since I was younger. My family makes a specialty dish which is called gyakok. It’s similar to a Tibetan hotpot. It’s a tradition that started in Lhasa with my grandmother making it for my mother, uncle and aunt. And despite being in this diaspora, they’ve been able to maintain it to this day.

Advertisement
The New York Times traveled to Honolulu, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New Orleans and New York to see how Asian American communities blend old and new customs to celebrate the Lunar New Year.

By Chevaz Clarke, Daniel Fetherston, Miya Lee and Emily Wolfe

February 21, 2026

Continue Reading

News

NASA’s Artemis II lunar mission may not launch in March after all

Published

on

NASA’s Artemis II lunar mission may not launch in March after all

A day after NASA said it was eyeing a potential March 6 launch date for the Artemis II lunar mission, the space agency now says new complications could derail all of the March launch dates. The rocket, seen here at the Kennedy Space Center launch pad on Friday, may need to be rolled back to the Vehicle Assembly Building for additional tests.

Gregg Newton/AFP via Getty Images


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Gregg Newton/AFP via Getty Images

Just one day after NASA said it was eyeing a potential March 6 launch date for the Artemis II lunar mission, the space agency said Saturday that complications with the rocket could delay all launch attempts in March from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

The Artemis II mission, which is set to carry four astronauts on a 10-day trip around the moon, would be the first time humans return to the vicinity of the moon since Apollo 17 in 1972.

In a blog post, NASA said it is “taking steps to potentially roll back the Artemis II rocket and Orion spacecraft to the Vehicle Assembly Building,” after technicians observed an “interrupted flow of helium” to the rocket system. NASA says its teams are “actively reviewing data” and taking steps to “address the issue as soon as possible while engineers determine the best path forward.”

Advertisement

NASA says a rollback from the pad to the nearby Vehicle Assembly Building would mean that the five potential launch dates in March would be off the table. NASA has six launch opportunities in April.

NASA says it’s unclear why helium flow was interrupted. The space agency says it’s reviewing data from the uncrewed Artemis I mission in 2022 in which teams had to troubleshoot helium-related pressurization of the upper stage before launch.

On Friday, following the completion of the second “wet dress rehearsal”, NASA managers were optimistic. “This is really getting real,” said Lori Glaze, acting associate administrator of NASA’s exploration systems development mission directorate. “It’s time to get serious and start getting excited.”

A test of the rocket, earlier this month, revealed several issues. During the fueling, NASA encountered problems like a liquid hydrogen leak. Swapping out some seals and other work seems to have fixed those issues, according to officials who say that the latest countdown dress rehearsal went smoothly, despite glitches such as a loss of ground communications in the Launch Control Center that forced workers to temporarily use backups.

NPR’s Nell Greenfieldboyce contributed reporting.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending