World
US embassy in Ukraine warns of ‘potentially significant air attack’ that could happen in next 24 hours
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv issued a security alert Saturday warning that a “potentially significant air attack” could hit the city in the next 24 hours.
The U.S. Mission Ukraine said in a statement, “The U.S. embassy in Kyiv has received information concerning a potentially significant air attack that may occur at any time over the next 24 hours.
“The embassy, as always, recommends U.S. citizens be prepared to immediately shelter in the event an air alert is announced.”
‘A NEW KIND OF WAR’: INSIDE UKRAINE’S HIDDEN FACTORIES MASS PRODUCING COMBAT DRONES
A security guard stands outside the embassy of the United States of America Oct. 1, 2019, in Kyiv, Ukraine. (Sean Gallup/Getty Images)
The embassy urged Americans to “identify shelter locations before any air alert,” keep reserves of food, water and medication nearby, follow the “directions of Ukrainian officials and first responders in the event of an emergency,” to immediately take shelter if an alert is announced and to download an air raid app like Air Raid Siren or Alarm App.
By early Sunday morning, the capital was rocked by a massive missile and drone strike, Reuters reported.
At least three people were injured and some residential buildings were damaged, the mayor said on Telegram.
The message follows a warning from Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelenskyy that Russia was preparing to strike Ukraine with a hypersonic Oreshnik missile, citing Ukrainian as well as U.S. and European intelligence.
“We are seeing signs of preparation for a combined strike on Ukrainian territory, including Kyiv, involving various types of weaponry,” Zelenskyy wrote in an X post Saturday morning.
“The specified intermediate-range weapons could be used in such a strike. It is important to act responsibly on air-raid alerts, starting this evening. Russian madness truly knows no bounds, so please protect your lives. Use shelters.”
The message follows a warning from Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelenskyy that Russia was preparing to strike Ukraine with a hypersonic Oreshnik missile, citing Ukrainian as well as U.S. and European intelligence. (AP Photo/Sergei Grits)
UKRAINE’S ‘SPIDER’S WEB’ DRONE STRIKE BURNS OVER 40 RUSSIAN WARPLANES, MOSCOW CALLS IT ‘TERRORIST ATTACK’
He added that the use of such weapons would set a precedent for future aggressors.
“If Russia is allowed to destroy lives on such a scale, then no agreement will restrain other similar hatred-based regimes from aggression and strikes,” he said. “We count on a response from the world and on a response that is not post factum, but preventive. Pressure must be put on Moscow so that it does not expand the war.”
Zelenskyy said Ukraine was preparing its air defenses as much as possible, and “we will respond fully justly to every Russian strike.”
“We have given permission for a parade,” he concluded his post, referring to the President Donald Trump-brokered three-day ceasefire earlier this month, “but Russia has no permission for madness. This war must be ended – we need peace, not some missiles satisfying the sick ambitions of one individual. I thank everyone helping to protect lives. Once again, please take care of yourselves and use shelters tonight.”
At the start of the three-day ceasefire May 9, Russian President Vladimir Putin told reporters he thought the war could come “to an end” soon.
At the start of the President Donald Trump-brokered temporary ceasefire earlier this month, Russian President Vladimir Putin told reporters he thinks the war could come “to an end” soon. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
On Friday, however, Putin vowed retaliation for a deadly Ukrainian drone strike in Starobilsk, an occupied town in eastern Luhansk, claiming that the Ukrainians hit a college dormitory in a “terrorist” act.
Ukraine denied the claim, saying it struck a Russian drone command unit in the area.
World
At least two killed after massive Russian drone and missile attack on Kyiv
The attack came after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned of intelligence that Russia would launch a significant attack using the hypersonic Oreshnik ballistic missile. It was not immediately clear if the missile had been used in the overnight attack.
World
Iran's top negotiator says Tehran will not compromise in talks with US
World
China deployed over 100 vessels near Taiwan in the wake of Trump-Xi summit, Taiwan security official claims
Taiwan warns US about China’s regional ambitions as Trump weighs arms deal
Fox Business correspondent Lydia Hu reports live on Taiwan’s top diplomat, Alexander Yui, sharing a warning about China as President Donald Trump weighs a proposed $14 billion arms package for the island. Yui stresses that Taiwan acts as a front-line defense, preventing China’s wider ambitions. Taiwan’s semiconductor production, 90% of the world’s advanced chips, makes US support critical.
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
China has deployed over 100 vessels in the waters surrounding Taiwan in the week following President Donald Trump’s Beijing summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping, the secretary general of Taiwan’s National Security Council said Saturday.
“Our ISR/intel shows that the PRC has deployed over 100 vessels around the 1st Island Chain over the past few days, so soon after the Beijing summit,” Secretary General Joseph Wu wrote on X.
“In this part of the world, China is the one & only PROBLEM wrecking the Status Quo & threatening regional peace & stability,” Wu concluded.
Wu posted a graphic appearing to show a high volume of Chinese vessel deployments in the South China Sea, the East China Sea and near Taiwan and The Philippines.
CHINA LAUNCHES LARGEST MILITARY DRILLS OFF TAIWAN IN 8 MONTHS WITH LIVE-FIRE EXERCISES CAUGHT ON CAMERA
A Taiwanese graphic showing alleged Chinese ship deployments near Taiwan and the broader Indo-Pacific region. (Taiwan National Security Council)
Wu alerted the world to the ship deployments a little more than a week after Trump left Beijing and just days after Acting U.S. Navy Secretary Hung Cao told U.S. lawmakers that the U.S. was temporarily pausing weapons shipments to Taiwan.
“Right now we’re doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury,” Cao testified during a Tuesday hearing of the Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee.
Acting Secretary of the Navy Hung Cao testifies during the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing titled “The Posture of the Department of the Navy in review of the Defense Authorization Request for FY2027 and the Future Years Defense Program,” in the Dirksen building on Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images)
U.S. lawmakers approved a $14 billion weapons package to be sold to Taiwan in January, though Trump has yet to sign off on it.
AS CHINA TENSIONS LOOM, US TEMPORARILY PAUSES TAIWAN WEAPONS SALES DUE TO IRAN WAR, ACTING NAVY SECRETARY SAYS
Taiwanese officials say they were not alerted to any potential pauses, according to The Associated Press.
Cao’s pause announcement followed the Trump-Xi summit during which Chinese officials made clear that the Taiwan question is China’s biggest issue in diplomatic relations with the United States.
The USS Chung-Hoon observed a Chinese navy ship sharply crossing its path in the Taiwan Strait on June 3, 2023, forcing the American destroyer to slow to avoid a collision during a freedom of navigation transit alongside Canadian frigate HMCS Montreal. (Andre T. Richard/U.S. Navy)
“President Xi stressed to President Trump that the Taiwan question is the most important issue in China-U.S. relations,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning said in a statement after the Trump-Xi bilateral meeting.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
“If it is handled properly, the bilateral relationship will enjoy overall stability. Otherwise, the two countries will have clashes and even conflicts, putting the entire relationship in great jeopardy,” Ning concluded.
Fox News Digital contacted the White House, a representative for the Taiwanese government and the Chinese Foreign Ministry for additional comment.
-
News3 minutes agoWith Big Decisions Ahead, the Supreme Court Collides With a Testy Trump
-
Politics9 minutes agoSanders and Ocasio-Cortez Try Boosting Progressives in Red Districts
-
Lifestyle45 minutes agoRomanian director Cristian Mungiu’s ‘Fjord’ wins top prize at Cannes
-
Technology57 minutes agoRecord Club is trying to be Letterboxd for music nerds
-
Politics1 hour agoAOC tells New Yorkers to ‘pull up’ to Alabama during rally speech behind bulletproof glass
-
Health1 hour agoDiet change tied to ‘younger’ biological age in older adults after 4 weeks
-
Sports1 hour agoKnicks take commanding 3-0 lead over Cavaliers in Eastern Conference Finals
-
Technology1 hour agoYou have a credit freeze; it still isn’t enough