Connect with us

World

UN warns escalating Israel-Hezbollah violence risks devastating conflict

Published

on

UN warns escalating Israel-Hezbollah violence risks devastating conflict

At UNSC, UN rights chief says Israel’s attacks on Hezbollah devices violated international law and could be a war crime.

A senior United Nations official has told the Security Council that further violence between Israel and Iran-aligned groups Hamas in Gaza and Hezbollah in Lebanon risked igniting a far more damaging conflict.

“We risk seeing a conflagration that could dwarf even the devastation and suffering witnessed so far,” UN political affairs chief Rosemary DiCarlo told the 15-member council on Friday, which met about attacks this week on Hezbollah.

“It is not too late to avoid such folly. There is still room for diplomacy,” she said. “I also strongly urge member states with influence over the parties to leverage it now.”

As its war in Gaza nears one year old, Israel killed at least 14 people and wounded 66 in an air raid on the Lebanese capital Beirut on Friday.

Advertisement

The Israeli military claimed that a top Hezbollah commander and other senior figures in the Lebanese movement were among the dead, and pledged to conduct a new military campaign until it secures the area around the Lebanese border.

Hezbollah has not confirmed the deaths of any commanders on Friday.

Israel’s air raid followed two days of attacks in which Hezbollah pagers and walkie-talkies exploded, killing 37 people and wounding thousands. Those attacks were widely believed to have been carried out by Israel, which has neither confirmed nor denied its involvement.

On Friday, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk told the Security Council that the attack on Hezbollah communications devices violated international law and could constitute a war crime.

Turk said it was “difficult to conceive” how the attacks on Hezbollah’s communications devices “could possibly conform with the key principles of distinction, proportionality, and precautions in attack, under international humanitarian law”.

Advertisement

He added that he was “appalled” by the attacks using communication devices.

“This has unleashed widespread fear, panic and horror among people in Lebanon, already suffering in an increasingly volatile situation since October 2023 and crumbling under a severe and longstanding economic crisis. This cannot be the new normal,” he said.

Turk called for an independent, thorough and transparent investigation and for those who ordered and carried out the attacks to be held to account.

Deputy US Ambassador to the UN Robert Wood told the council that the US expects all parties to comply with international humanitarian law and take all reasonable steps to minimise harm to civilians, especially in densely populated areas.

“It is imperative that even as facts emerge about the latest incidents – in which I reiterate, the United States played no role – all parties refrain from any actions which could plunge the region into a devastating war.”

Advertisement

Tens of thousands of people have been evacuated from homes on both sides of the Israel-Lebanon border since Hezbollah began firing rockets into Israel in October in support of Gaza, where Israel is waging a devastating war that has killed more than 41,000 Palestinians.

Israel, which last fought an all-out war against Hezbollah 18 years ago, has said it will use force if necessary to ensure its citizens can return to their homes in northern Israel.

World

Suffocating Western pressure may finally force Russian oil output cuts

Published

on

Suffocating Western pressure may finally force Russian oil output cuts
Russian oil producers could be forced to sharply cut output in coming months as tightening pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump and European powers restricts the country’s exports and its storage fills up, a development that would further dent the Kremlin’s war chest.
Continue Reading

World

Australia Hanukkah terror attack suspect seen for first time in prison

Published

on

Australia Hanukkah terror attack suspect seen for first time in prison

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The man accused of carrying out a Hanukkah terror attack in Sydney, Australia, was seen publicly for the first time Monday, appearing by video link from Goulburn Supermax prison during a hearing at Downing Center Local Court.

7NewsAustralia reported that Naveed Akram, 24, spoke only briefly during the less than 10-minute hearing as a suppression order protecting the names of some victims was extended.

“Did you hear what just occurred?” Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund asked. “Yep,” Akram replied.

“Your solicitor will call you, OK?” Freund said.

Advertisement

FAMILIES MOURN LOVED ONES LOST IN BONDI BEACH TERROR ATTACK: ‘NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE THE PAIN’

A court sketch depicts accused Bondi shooter Naveed Akram appearing via video link from Goulburn Supermax prison at Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (Rocco Fazzari/AAP Image via AP)

“Yeah,” responded the shooting suspect.

Akram has been charged with one count of committing a terrorist act, 15 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder, and additional firearms and explosives offenses, according to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions website. 

The most serious charges carry potential life imprisonment.

Advertisement

ISRAELI DIASPORA MINISTER SAYS AUSTRALIA SHOULD HAVE SEEN ‘WRITING ON THE WALL’ BEFORE TERROR ATTACK

Rabbi Eli Schlanger, 10-year-old Matilda and French national Dan Elkayam were victims of the Bondi Beach attack.  (Audrey Richardson/Getty Images/Facebook/Eli Schlanger/GoFundMe/Project Volta)

Akram’s lawyer, Ben Archbold, told reporters it was too early to indicate how his client would plead, according to 7NewsAustralia.

“There’s a client that needs to be represented. And we don’t let our personal view get in the way of our professional application,” Archbold said.

His next court appearance is scheduled for April 8.

Advertisement

Police teams take security measures at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia, on Sunday after a terrorist attack targeting the Jewish community during the first night of Hanukkah.  ( Claudio Galdames A/Anadolu via Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The 24-year-old is accused of carrying out Australia’s deadliest terror attack targeting a Jewish “Hanukkah by the Sea” celebration at Bondi Beach in December. 

His father, Sajid Akram, 50, was shot and killed in a gun battle with police at the scene.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described the Bondi attack as an “ISIS-inspired atrocity,” saying at a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra late last year that the government had been informed by the Office of National Intelligence of an ISIS online video feed reinforcing that assessment.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

World

Ukraine team heads for Geneva talks as Moscow, Kyiv build military pressure

Published

on

Ukraine team heads for Geneva talks as Moscow, Kyiv build military pressure

Representatives of Ukraine, Russia and the US are set to meet for a third round of trilateral negotiations to end the four-year war.

Ukrainian officials have left for Geneva, Switzerland, where another round of negotiations aimed at ending the war with Russia is set to take place.

“On the way to Geneva. The next round of negotiations is ahead. Along the way, we will discuss the lessons of our history with our colleagues, seek the right conclusions,” Ukraine’s Chief of Staff Kyrylo Budanov posted on his Telegram channel on Monday, along with a picture of him standing in front of a train with two other members of the delegation he is heading.

Advertisement

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The Geneva talks follow two rounds of the United States-brokered negotiations held in the United Arab Emirates in January and early February.

The last meeting marked the first direct public talks between Moscow and Kyiv on a plan proposed by the Trump administration to end the conflict, which started with Russia invading its neighbouring country in February 2022.

Russia and Ukraine described both rounds of talks as constructive, but failed to achieve any breakthrough.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy on Sunday said he hoped the trilateral talks in Geneva “will be serious, substantive” and “helpful for all of us”.

“But honestly, sometimes it feels like the sides are talking about completely different things,” Zelenskyy said. “The Americans often return to the topic of concessions, and too often those concessions are discussed only in the context of Ukraine, not Russia.”

Advertisement

Among the most contentious issues is the long-term fate of the eastern Ukrainian region, large parts of which Russia has occupied. Moscow is demanding that Kyiv pull its troops from the Donbas region, including heavily fortified cities that sit atop vast natural resources, as a condition for any deal. It also wants international recognition for the land it has unilaterally annexed in eastern Ukraine.

Kyiv said the conflict should be frozen along the current front lines and has rejected a one-sided pullback of forces. Ukrainian officials are also demanding solid security guarantees against future Russian attacks.

Meanwhile, Al Jazeera’s Yulia Shapovalova, reporting from Moscow, said people in the Russian capital do not seem to be too enthusiastic about the talks.

“The general public does not take this next round very seriously. The first two did not answer a lot of questions,” she said, referring to the territorial issues and the implementation of a ceasefire mechanism.

As both parties prepare for further negotiations, they are also ramping up military pressure.

Advertisement

Kyiv said it carried out a large-scale drone attack on energy infrastructure in western Russia on Sunday.

On Monday, the governor of the Bryansk region, Alexander Bogomaz, said Russian forces destroyed more than 220 drones. The strikes, which lasted more than 12 hours, were the heaviest since the start of the war, he said. Residents were temporarily left without heating.

Russian army chief General Valery Gerasimov said on Sunday his forces took control of 12 settlements in eastern Ukraine this month, an equivalent of 200sq km (77sq miles).

“The task of the military operation continues to be carried out. The offensive is under way in all directions,” Gerasimov said while visiting troops on the front line in the Ukrainian territory.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending