Connect with us

West

Trump lands endorsement of top investor who hosted $12 million San Francisco fundraiser for former president

Published

on

Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Having trouble? Click here.

Former President Trump’s stop in the blue bastion of San Francisco turned out to be fruitful in more than one way.

Not only did the presumptive Republican presidential nominee haul in roughly $12 million at a fundraiser on Thursday evening, he also officially landed the endorsement of a major tech investor.

Advertisement

The fundraiser was hosted by David Sacks and Chamath Palihapitiya, two of the heaviest hitters in Silicon Valley and co-hosts of the hot “All-In” podcast.

And it was held at Sacks’ multimillion-dollar home in the tony Pacific Heights neighborhood of San Francisco.

TRUMP HEADS TO BLUE BASTION TO RAISE CAMPAIGN CASH

Tickets at the sold-out event ranged from $50,000 per person to get in the door all the way up to $500,000 per couple for special access and a photo with Trump.

A couple of hours before the fundraiser, Sacks took to social media to formally endorse Trump.

Advertisement

“I give to many, but endorse few. But today I am giving my endorsement to our 45th President, Donald J. Trump, to be our 47th President. My reasons rest on four main issues that I think are vital to American prosperity, security, and stability – issues where the Biden administration has veered badly off course and where I believe President Trump can lead us back,” Sacks wrote on X.

THIS IS HOW MUCH A TOP PRO-TRUMP SUPER PAC HAULED IN LAST MONTH

Sacks said that “the voters have experienced four years of President Trump and four years of President Biden. In tech, we call this an A/B test.”

“With respect to economic policy, foreign policy, border policy, and legal fairness, Trump performed better. He is the President who deserves a second term,” he argued.

According to sources familiar with the fundraising dinner on Thursday, Sacks reiterated his praise for Trump and explained why he’s supporting the presumptive GOP nominee in his 2024 election rematch with President Biden.

Advertisement

While his official endorsement came on Thursday, Sacks first signaled his support for Trump during a March meeting that he had with Sen. JD Vance, R-Ohio, and Donald Trump Jr., the former president’s eldest son, in Washington, D.C.

The impromptu meeting at the Conrad Hotel, held hours after Trump clinched the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, was first reported by The New York Times and confirmed by Fox News. It was at that meeting that Sacks indicated he was all-in for Trump’s 2024 presidential campaign.

TRUMP GUILTY VERDICT IN CRIMINAL TRIAL FIRES UP HIS FUNDRAISING 

Vance, who is a Trump ally and a potential 2024 running mate who is close to Trump Jr., spent time a few years back in the San Francisco area working for hedge funds in the tech sector. Sources say he was instrumental in putting the top-dollar fundraiser together.

According to sources, Sacks said at the fundraiser that “this all started with JD Vance calling and asking if we could host an event for President Trump. Without JD’s advice and encouragement, this would never have happened.”

Advertisement

Trump heads south to Beverly Hills for a Friday fundraiser and a Saturday finance event in Newport Beach in Orange County.

President Donald Trump speaks at a campaign rally at HoverTech International, Monday, Oct. 26, 2020, in Allentown, Pa. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon) (AP)

The trip doesn’t mean the Trump campaign thinks overwhelmingly blue California may be in play. 

Instead, Trump’s appearances — like those of two sold-out fundraisers in the Bay Area on Wednesday headlined by Vice President Harris and President Biden’s San Francisco area fundraisers last month — are the latest proof that the Golden State remains a crucial ATM for campaign cash.

Advertisement

Trump’s campaign on Monday said it and the Republican National Committee (RNC), fueled in part by the former president’s guilty verdicts in his criminal trial, hauled in a stunning $141 million in fundraising in May.

Trump was found guilty of all 34 felony counts in the first trial of a former or current president in the nation’s history.

The former president’s campaign highlighted that in the first 24 hours following last week’s verdict, it and the RNC brought in nearly $53 million in fundraising, which counted toward May’s total. 

President Biden in Philadelphia

President Biden speaks during a campaign event in Philadelphia on May 29. (Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images)

The Biden campaign has also been fundraising off of the Trump verdict, and a source familiar told Fox News that “the 24 hours after the verdict were one of the best fundraising 24 hours of the Biden campaign since launch.”

Trump has been aiming to close his fundraising gap with Biden. In April, his campaign and the RNC for the first time outraised the Biden campaign and the Democratic National Committee. 

Advertisement

Fundraising, along with public opinion polling, is a key metric used to measure the strength of candidates and their campaigns. Money raised can be used to build up grassroots outreach and get-out-the-vote operations, staffing, travel and ads, among other things.

Fox News’ Chris Pandolfo contributed to this report

Get the latest updates from the 2024 campaign trail, exclusive interviews and more at our Fox News Digital election hub.

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

San Francisco, CA

San Francisco mayoral candidates debate public safety approaches

Published

on

San Francisco mayoral candidates debate public safety approaches


San Francisco mayoral candidates debate public safety approaches – CBS San Francisco

Watch CBS News


Lauren Toms reports on the first San Francisco mayoral debate.

Website: http://kpix.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CBSSanFrancisco
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CBSSanFrancisco
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kpixtv/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/KPIXtv

Advertisement

Be the first to know

Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.

Advertisement






Source link

Continue Reading

Denver, CO

Man body-slammed by off-duty Denver PD officer during 2023 Nuggets celebration files lawsuit

Published

on

Man body-slammed by off-duty Denver PD officer during 2023 Nuggets celebration files lawsuit


DENVER — A man who was body-slammed by an off-duty Denver Police Department officer while celebrating the Denver Nuggets championship in 2023 filed a lawsuit Wednesday — exactly one year after the incident.

Elijah Smith was among the thousands of fans who were in downtown Denver on June 12, 2023, after the team’s historic win. Smith said he was with a group of people celebrating a friend’s birthday and the championship at Hayter’s & Co. in the city’s Lower Downtown (LoDo) neighborhood.

“They were kicking everyone out because of the shooting that had happened a couple blocks away,” said Smith. “From the corner of my eye, I see one of my friends get sucker-punched. My other friend ran to the other guy and started defending our guy that got punched.”

Smith said he quickly jumped in to also defend his friend when he felt someone pick him up.

Advertisement

“I just feel my body lifted up in the air and I knew I got picked up and slammed on my head. I could feel everything. The pressure in the back of my head is throbbing. It felt like I was dying,” he recalled.

Cell phone video captured the moment Smith was body-slammed by then-Denver Police Officer Adam Glasby.

Glasby had been working an off-duty assignment at Hayter’s & Co. on Blake Street when the group of men started fighting outside the bar, according to the Denver District Attorney’s Office. To break up the fight, Glasby pulled one of the men from the other and, in doing so, took Smith to the ground, knocking him unconscious, according to court documents.

Court documents state Glasby stayed with Smith and provided first aid, including a sternal rub. When Smith regained consciousness, his friends helped him walk away and took him to a hospital.

“It scared me what happened to me. I didn’t want to go to sleep. I didn’t think I was going to wake up,” said Smith.

Advertisement

Glasby was initially charged with second-degree assault with intent to cause bodily injury, a felony. However, he pleaded guilty to third-degree assault, a misdemeanor, in April. His conviction was a POST decertifying offense, meaning he was stripped of his ability to work in a law enforcement capacity in the state of Colorado.

On Wednesday, exactly a year after the assault, Smith’s legal team filed a lawsuit against the City and County of Denver, Glasby and Hayter’s & Co.

“If it hadn’t been for a civilian with a cell phone, this probably would’ve never come to light,” said Smith’s attorney, Mari Newman with Newman|McNulty, LLC. “No matter who he was working for, it was excessive force. The fact that he was in his Denver uniform working as a security guard means Denver is responsible, Hayter’s Bar and Officer Glasby. And that means all three need to be held responsible.”

Smith said he suffered a traumatic brain injury and a back injury. In addition to the physical impacts, he said he suffers from PTSD and is afraid to be out in crowds.

“I’ve been in constant physical therapy. I even took speech therapy because I was stuttering a lot,” he added.

Advertisement

As difficult as it’s been to watch the video of what happened, Smith said he’s glad it all came to light.

“I just want to thank the person who, you know, had the recording from the video,” he said.

Denver7 reached out to the Denver Police Department. A spokesperson said the department does not comment on pending litigation. Glasby resigned from the department on May 2 and the department will continue its Internal Affairs investigation into this incident, per policy, the spokesperson said.

Denver7 reached out to Hayter’s & Co. for a statement but did not hear back as of publication of this article.


The Follow Up

Advertisement

What do you want Denver7 to follow up on? Is there a story, topic or issue you want us to revisit? Let us know with the contact form below.





Source link

Continue Reading

Seattle, WA

Mitch Haniger lifts Seattle Mariners to walk-off win over White Sox

Published

on

Mitch Haniger lifts Seattle Mariners to walk-off win over White Sox


SEATTLE (AP) — Mitch Haniger capped a nine-pitch at-bat with an RBI single to score Luke Raley with the winning run and give the Seattle Mariners a 2-1, 10-inning win over the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday night.

Seattle Mariners 2, Chicago White Sox 1: Box Score

Seattle blew a chance to win the game after Luis Robert Jr’s. pinch-hit solo home run leading off the ninth inning tied the game 1-1. Chicago was unable to score in the 10th and Haniger came through with the sixth walk-off hit of his career.

Haniger fell behind in the count 0-2 against Steven Wilson (1-3) but dumped a soft single into right field. Raley, who provided all of Seattle’s offense through the first nine innings with a solo home run, raced around from second.

Advertisement

“I’ve been in that situation a bunch where you strike out. So you that it can go either way. You control what you can control and that’s putting a good swing on the ball,” Haniger said. “Luckily on that one, just grind through an at-bat and got enough of it to get it to the outfield.”

Seattle won its 16th one-run game, the most in the major leagues, and improved to 10-1 in its last 11 home games. The Mariners have also won their last eight series at home.

“Series win, that’s what it’s about,” Seattle manager Scott Servais said. “Have a chance to sweep these guys tomorrow, won’t be easy, it hasn’t been easy over these last three nights but we have a chance.”

Advertisement

Robert homered on the first pitch of the ninth inning from Mike Baumann. Robert was getting a scheduled day off from the starting lineup a week after coming off the injured list following a hip injury.

It was Robert’s sixth homer and cost Seattle starter Bryce Miller the chance at a victory.

“I knew the game was tight and I knew there was a chance that I could pinch-hit. But I’m not really used to those situations,” Robert said via an interpreter. “I just went there and tried to make hard contact.”

Miller allowed two hits over seven shutout innings and Austin Voth kept the shutout going striking out the side in the eighth. But Seattle has been without primary closer Andrés Muñoz for most of the past week due to lower back soreness.

Miller struck out eight and needed only 92 pitches to get through seven shutout innings, rebounding after allowing a season-high seven earned runs in his previous start against Kansas City.

Advertisement

“Obviously last week wasn’t ideal,” Miller said. “The bad thing about being a starter is you’ve got to wait five days to get back, but the last four days I’ve been looking forward to it. I was excited to get out there.”

Trent Thornton (3-1) stranded automatic runner Danny Mendick at third base in the 10th, finishing the inning with a strikeout of pinch-hitter Andrew Benintendi.

Chicago starter Jonathan Cannon was hit hard at times but matched Miller with zeros until Raley’s homer in the seventh. Cannon made just his fourth start in the majors, and allowed three hits with seven strikeouts.

ROSTER SHUFFLE

Advertisement

Mariners: Seattle optioned LHP Jhonathan Díaz back to Tacoma after he made an emergency start on Tuesday night. RHP Brett de Geus was recalled from the Triple-A team to add depth to the bullpen.

UP NEXT

White Sox: LHP Garrett Crochet (6-5, 3.33) has won five of his past six decisions and has pitched six innings in six of his past seven starts.

Mariners: RHP Luis Castillo (5-7, 3.35) will try and rebound after giving up five earned runs over five innings in his last start against Kansas City.

More on the Seattle Mariners

• Mariners injury updates: Latest on Ty France, Andrés Muñoz and more
• Mariners receive ‘clean’ results from Bryan Woo’s MRI
• Servais: Surging Mitch Garver will be ‘key’ to Seattle Mariners lineup
• One thing Seattle Mariners excel at reveals what needs to improve
• Does a Luis Robert trade make sense for Mariners? Passan explain

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending