Connect with us

San Diego, CA

Arrest of Encanto man caught on camera prompts excessive force complaint

Published

on

Arrest of Encanto man caught on camera prompts excessive force complaint


The San Diego Police Department faces a new complaint of excessive force. It comes after the arrest of an Encanto man was caught on camera.

The incident happened at around 11:30 p.m. on Friday while officers were responding to a report of domestic violence involving a gun.

Marcus Evans stood before San Diego police with their guns drawn.

“I have no nothing. I have no weapon,” he can be heard saying in the video.

Advertisement

Evans walked out of his Duluth Avenue home wearing only shorts — no shoes, no shirt. He raised his hands to demonstrate he also had no weapon.

When Evans took a seat on the retaining wall instead of complying with police commands, officers warned he would be shot.

Police fired a bean-bag shotgun round at Evans, hitting him in the ribs. He went to the ground but still refused police commands.

Then came a second round.

Police released a K-9, then called back the dog.

Advertisement

“I think the less lethal use of force was used as a punishment,“ justice advocate Yusef Miller said.

Miller, the North County Equity and Justice Coalition director, says the video has been passed among justice advocate community members.

“This person is unarmed. This person is out in the open where he should be. All the videos are on him, and they still used that force,” Miller said.

The arrest was not still affected after two bean bag rounds. There was a third, less lethal round fired.

The K-9 then bites Evans’ left arm.

Advertisement

“When you go to a scene like this, consider yourself like a fireman. You’re not going with a can of gasoline. You are going with water to put out fire. I see a lot of gasoline here,” police procedures consultant Roger Clark said.

Clark has testified in 1,300 excessive force investigations. He says, whether the force is less lethal or lethal, there is a credible threat threshold that must first be met.

In this case, Clark says Evans was no threat.

“’If you don’t do this, I am going to beat you into submission’ is what they are doing. ‘I am going to use this bean bag, and I am going to hurt you,’” Clark said.

Police say Evans was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.

Advertisement

In part of an emailed statement, SDPD spokesperson Ashley Nicholes wrote: “Video of this situation, as with many uses of force, was likely difficult for some community members to watch. We understand that and are committed to doing a thorough investigation, which, once completed, will be reviewed by the Commission on Police Practices.”

NBC 7 spoke with Evans’ family members, who did not want to talk on camera but say they have contacted an attorney.

Justice advocates are demanding officers involved be put on leave until a thorough outside agency investigation is complete.

Police tell NBC 7 Evans was treated at a local hospital for his injuries then released from there.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

San Diego, CA

Woman swept off Mission Beach jetty still recovering in hospital, family says

Published

on

Woman swept off Mission Beach jetty still recovering in hospital, family says


The family of a woman who was seriously injured in an accident in Mission Beach is speaking out.

Last week, Diana Torroledo and her boyfriend, Ali Aghdaei, were on the jetty when they were overtaken by the high surf.

Aghdaei shared one of the photos he captured of Torroledo before their walk along the jetty.

“We were just taking pictures, recording videos and just chilling, and all of the sudden a big wave came and knocked us out,” Aghdaei said.

Advertisement

Despite sustaining some injuries, Aghdaei was able to regain his balance.

Lifeguard Lt. Rick Romero with San Diego Fire Rescue said a guard at the South Mission Tower saw the man and woman get washed off the rocks at the jetty around 6:30 p.m.

According to San Diego lifeguard, that day’s conditions along the jetty were treacherous, with waves reaching higher than 8 feet.

“I just lost my teeth and just used my hand to just keep my balance,” Aghdaei said.

His girlfriend suffered more serious injuries.

Advertisement

“Her head hit a rock, so she was unconscious from that moment,” Aghdaei said.

San Diego Fire-Rescue said a guard at the South Mission tower saw them get washed off and sent a rescue boat and additional resources to help.

Torroledo was airlifted to the hospital. She suffered multiple fractures across her body and face, as well as a brain hemorrhage.

Her sister flew from Colombia after hearing about the accident.

“I needed to share the news with my parents. Right when I called them, the hospital was calling my mom,” Carolina Echeverry, Torroledo’s sister, told NBC 7.

Advertisement

She said it’s a miracle to find her sister alive.

“We believe in God, and truly these kinds of events put everything in perspective to realize that there is someone much bigger who sustains us daily,” Echeverry said.

Torroledo lives in New Jersey and works in New York as a makeup artist. Her friend said they want to bring to light to her story to support her, just as she would anyone else.

“She’s the kindest, sweetest, most thoughtful, generous person,” Ana Siguenca said.

Torroledo’s boyfriend thanks all the lifeguards and first responders who rendered aid that night. He said he would like to meet them one day to personally thank them for their heroic efforts.

Advertisement

Torroledo remains in the hospital but is out of intensive care. Her recovery is expected to take several weeks.



Source link

Continue Reading

San Diego, CA

NASA training off San Diego coast for next stage of Artemis mission to the moon

Published

on

NASA training off San Diego coast for next stage of Artemis mission to the moon


Off the San Diego coast, a team from NASA and the U.S. Navy are conducting critical astronaut recovery drills in preparation for the space agency’s first attempt in 50 years to transport humans to the moon.

This exercise, known as Underway Recovery Test 12, is essential to ensure that the splashdown and recovery of the Artemis II crew is carried out smoothly after the astronauts’ journey of more than 600,000 miles to the Moon and back.

The Artemis II mission, scheduled to launch in the coming months, will be the first crewed mission under NASA’s Artemis program. The first stage of the three-leg mission, Artemis I, was complted with an unmanned space vessel in 2022.

During this mission, the astronauts will travel approximately 4,600 miles beyond the far side of the Moon, making the crew on board the first to ever travel beyond the moon.

Advertisement

A Navy MH-60 Seahawk from Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 23 is seen as it lifts NASA astronaut Andre Douglas as teams practice Artemis recovery operations during Underway Recovery Test-12 onboard USS Somerset off the coast of California, Thursday, March 27, 2025. During the test, NASA and Department of Defense teams are practicing to ensure recovery procedures are validated as NASA plans to send the Artemis II astronauts around the Moon and splashdown in the Pacific Ocean. Photo Credit: (NASA/Joel Kowsky) 2nd lift
Image Credit: NASA/Joel Kowsky

The recovery team, made up of highly trained personnel from NASA and the Department of Defense, have practiced the recovery operations to make sure the astronauts are safely and quickly recovered after splashdown in the Pacific. These drills include simulating real-life splashdown conditions, both day and night, and using inflatable rafts to assist in extracting the astronauts from the Orion capsule. The splashdown is expected to happen 60 miles off the Southern California coast, somewhere in between Catalina Island and San Clemente.

“These exercises are vital to the success of the Artemis II mission,” said Liliana Villarreal, NASA’s Recovery Director. “We ensure that every team member is prepared for any eventuality, guaranteeing the safety of our astronauts.”

The collaboration between NASA and the U.S. Navy is not new, but it is very important to the success of space missions. The capability of amphibious transport ships, such as the USS Somerset, provides the perfect environment for these complex operations, combining advanced technology with the expertise of highly trained sailors.

Advertisement

With the Artemis II mission, NASA aims not only to explore deep space but also to establish a sustainable presence on the Moon, with future mission plans that include the construction of the Gateway in lunar orbit. According to experts, these rescue drills are a crucial step toward that ambitious goal.

Artemis III is planned to be the second crewed Artemis Mission and the first crewed lunar landing since Apollo 17 in 1972.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

San Diego, CA

Morning Report: Chavez, the Business Candidate

Published

on

Morning Report: Chavez, the Business Candidate


In our final installment of Q&A’s with candidates in the special election for Board of Supervisors, our Jim Hinch speaks to Carolina Chavez, a Chula Vista City Councilmember. 

Chavez was born in Tijuana in the early 1980s and grew up on both sides of the border. She started her career as a reporter, but then went on to work as an economic development liaison for several Baja California mayors. 

Chavez has also served on the board of directors for the San Diego Chamber of Commerce and emphasized her ability to bring businesses — and “good actors” — to the table in her interview with Hinch. Chavez also said she valued input from community members. 

When asked why she was running for supervisor, Chavez said she understood San Diego’s binational identity better than any other candidate — and would work to center that worldview in her policymaking. 

Advertisement

She also spoke on San Diego’s “super sanctuary” policy, homelessness, housing and the meaning of political parties in 2025.

Read the full Q&A here. 

Federal Public Health Grant Cuts Hit San Diego County

San Diego County learned last week that the Trump administration will likely pull back $40 million in public health grant funding.

The three impacted grants support more than 90 county positions in County Public Health Services focused on disease prevention and lab duties. They also fund $8.4 million in county-contracted work on vaccines, wastewater testing, rapid response epidemiology testing and more. Some of the grant dollars have also backed a new county public health lab that’s set to open in May and a mobile public health lab.

County Supervisor Terra Lawson-Remer assailed the cuts in a Thursday press release.

Advertisement

“We’re not talking about theoretical grants. We’re talking about the people who track outbreaks, test water after sewage spills, and sound the alarm when something’s wrong,” Lawson-Remer wrote in a statement. “This is how we protect lives.”

Lawson-Remer’s office said the county may now be “unable to equip or staff” the public health lab as planned. She also warned that vaccinations in homeless shelters, an updated county public health data system and the jobs of frontline disease investigators are also now at risk.

The supervisor said that the county is “currently assessing options to preserve core public health functions despite the sudden loss of federal funding.”

California is among the states that sued the Trump administration earlier this week to try to save some of the grant funds.

About the City’s Shuttered Motel Shelter

The Pacific Inn Hotel & Suites in downtown San Diego on March 20, 2025. / Ariana Drehsler for Voice of San Diego

Last week, our Lisa Halverstadt revealed that the city is on the hook for $77,000 in monthly rent through June for a now-former motel shelter downtown. The city opted to close the shelter for homeless seniors due to costly building issues which led us to wonder: Has the city tried getting out of rent payments since it’s no longer using the property?

Advertisement

Here’s all city spokesperson Matt Hoffman would say on the matter: “The city is actively working with the property owner on this transition.”

The city’s lease provides a process to forgo rent payments when all or part of the motel building needs major repairs, but Hoffman wouldn’t clarify if the city has tried to take advantage of it.

Hotel Investment Group CEO Darshan Patel, whose company portfolio includes the Little Italy motel and who signed the 2022 city lease, didn’t respond to questions from Voice this week.

A few readers noted that Patel’s company listed the Pacific Highway property as a redevelopment opportunity last July. Per the LoopNet posting, “preliminary plans call for a 24-story, 234-unit luxury apartment tower.”

In an email to Voice of San Diego last Friday, Patel acknowledged his company listed the property for sale with a year left on the city’s lease but noted that “redevelopment properties of this sort are in escrow for years before the transaction closes.”

Advertisement

At the time of the listing, Patel wrote, a possible city lease extension was still on the table, but the city decided against moving forward. As of last Friday, Patel wrote that he wasn’t aware of “what areas of the building the city is or is not utilizing” that might set the stage for reduced rent and defended the building he’s been renting to the city.

“It is an older building so maintenance issues are to be expected; however, we do not believe there to be any issues with this building that are greater than those of similar size and age,” Patel said.

In Other News

The Morning Report was written by Will Huntsberry and Lisa Halverstadt. It was edited by Andrea Lopez-Villafaña.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending