Connect with us

Oregon

The women of an Oregon suburb have said for years their family doctor abused them. Now he’s facing criminal charges | CNN

Published

on

The women of an Oregon suburb have said for years their family doctor abused them. Now he’s facing criminal charges | CNN


EDITOR’S NOTE:  This story contains disturbing descriptions of sexual assault.

A former family doctor who has been accused of abuse by more than 160 of his patients surrendered to authorities Friday in Oregon, where he was arraigned on felony sexual abuse charges.

David B. Farley turned himself in at the Clackamas County Jail in the early hours of the morning. A county grand jury indicted Farley on nine counts of sexual abuse and two related counts, all felonies, involving three female patients over a span of 11 years. One of the patients was under 14.

Farley, 67, appeared for his arraignment Friday afternoon via closed-circuit TV and pleaded not guilty to all the charges. The courtroom’s gallery was crowded, with some observers weeping quietly during the brief proceeding. A judge set a December 6 trial date.

Advertisement

The moment marks a dramatic turning point in what has been a years-long journey for the scores of women and girls who allege Farley sexually abused them under the guise of medical treatment. Some of the survivors have been urging authorities for more than five years to bring him to justice.

“The relief that ran through my body…is indescribable,” a former patient of Farley’s told CNN, speaking anonymously out of caution over the ongoing legal proceedings. “Just to know that finally something is being done on the law enforcement side after so many failures from prior law enforcement agencies brings peace in my life.”

The doctor was first investigated in 2020, when former patients came forward to file complaints with the Oregon Medical Board and local police about his conduct.

Those complaints ranged from excessive breast and pelvic exams on underage patients to ungloved pelvic exams and Farley taking naked photographs of minors for what he claimed were educational purposes. Patients described sexual abuse as well as being subjected to medically unnecessary and painful procedures such as “hymenectomies” in which Farley would insist on breaking their hymens with his hand, telling at least one teenaged patient he was doing so to “make sex more pleasurable.”

Through his attorney, Farley has consistently declined to comment on the allegations against him.

Advertisement

CNN reported on these allegations against Farley last year, sitting down with several of his former patients who described abuse they said they’d experienced and their quest for accountability.

Many of the women found Farley through church. They were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in West Linn, Oregon — just south of Portland — and say he was seen as a leader in their tightknit Mormon community. The women say his status as a respected elder in the congregation conferred a level of trust that allowed him to take advantage of them.

“I had no idea,” one of Farley’s former patients, Nicole Snow, told CNN last year. “I thought this was normal.” Snow said the abuse led to health problems that later caused her to drop out of high school.

The Oregon Medical Board conducted an investigation and revoked Farley’s medical license in October 2020. Meanwhile, the West Linn Police Department began to conduct its own investigation, led by District Attorney John Wentworth, and in 2022 the case went before a grand jury. But after deliberations, the grand jury said it did not have enough evidence for a criminal indictment, and Farley was not charged.

Farley’s former patients allege Wentworth and his team fumbled the case, only allowing testimony from a small fraction of women who had filed police reports. In a March 2024 op-ed for West Linn’s newspaper, Wentworth defended his handling of the case, noting that “all known patients with a colorable claim of abuse testified before the grand jury.” In an email to CNN last year, he blamed “a litany of issues outside our control” for prosecutors’ inability to convince the grand jury.

Advertisement

Many of Farley’s patients joined together in a 2020 civil suit against the former doctor. The lawsuit now includes more than 160 patients – some as young as five years old. The patients also continued to push the only available avenue for Farley to face criminal charges – lobbying for the state’s attorney general to reopen the criminal case.

In December 2024, after years of defending its handling of the case, the Clackamas District Attorney’s office issued a request that the Oregon attorney general take over the investigation. The attorney general’s office did not comment publicly on the matter, except to say that it was reviewing the case.

But the office had quietly been moving forward, conducting confidential sessions with a grand jury that heard witnesses and resulted last week in the indictment. The charges against Farley relate to alleged incidents that occurred between February 2009 and July 2020.

“When these survivors first came forward in 2022 … their claims were scrutinized and dismissed rather than properly investigated,” said attorney Tom D’Amore, who represents Farley’s former patients in their civil lawsuit. “Their commitment to accountability, even in the face of such disregard, is nothing short of heroic.”

“When I was assaulted, I thought I was alone, I thought I had misread things,” former patient Katie Medley, who detailed her abuse in an interview with CNN last year, said in a statement Friday. “My faith in our justice system was tried over the years. But my sister survivors and I have never stopped speaking out and now we have been vindicated.”

Advertisement

Farley has since moved to Nephi, Utah, where he lives with his wife. A longtime friend of his told CNN that as of last year, Farley was still an active member of his church community there.

A judge on Friday set bond for Farley at $500,000. Farley is permitted to leave the state if he posts bond, but signed an extradition waiver stating he won’t contest orders that he return to Oregon for court appearances and to stand trial.



Source link

Advertisement

Oregon

From dare to Team USA in weeks: The lightning journey of Oregon’s ‘sightless surfer’

Published

on

From dare to Team USA in weeks: The lightning journey of Oregon’s ‘sightless surfer’


When Emily Purry casually asked her surf guide how far off she might be from competing, she never expected his answer would catapult her onto Team USA within weeks. On a recent episode of the Peak Northwest podcast, Purry shared the whirlwind journey that transformed her from a beginner blind adaptive surfer to an international competitor representing Oregon on the world stage.

  • Generative AI was used to summarize a recent episode of the Peak Northwest podcast. This story was reviewed and edited by The Oregonian/OregonLive.

“It was quite the whirlwind. Honestly, nothing that I expected or really even thought could happen,” Purry, who goes by “Strong Sightless Surfer” on Instagram, told host Chiara Profenna. “I’ve been surfing for a very short time. I’m very new to the sport.”

That conversation with her guide quickly escalated from hypothetical to actionable. When he suggested she could compete immediately, Purry discovered she needed to enter a competition before Team USA tryouts, leaving her with just two options: Hawaii the following week or Japan in three weeks.

Despite being a novice surfer who had progressively lost her sight to Stargardt’s macular degeneration, she made a decision that would intimidate even seasoned travelers: “As weird as it sounds, I think I can pull off Japan. And so, I flew to Japan independently. It was my first time flying internationally by myself.”

The logistics were daunting. In rapid succession, Purry had to purchase her first surfboard, navigate international travel alone, and trust strangers in a foreign country where communication was difficult. “I had to meet people I’d never seen before in my life. I talked to one of them on the phone once,” she explained, detailing how she was picked up by a Japanese man whose English was limited.

Advertisement

Despite these challenges, Purry not only competed in Japan but returned home and, just eight days later, successfully tried out for Team USA.

For Purry, this journey represents far more than athletic achievement.

“It started to bring my confidence back as far as who was I, who I used to be, and how much I missed me as a human being,” Purry shared, highlighting the deep connection between physical activity and sense of self.

Purry spoke on the podcast as she was preparing for the ISA (International Surfing Association) World Competition in Oceanside, California, held Nov. 2–7.

“I definitely want to win,” she shared on the podcast, revealing the competitive spirit that propelled her from that first casual conversation to the international stage in mere weeks. In Oceanside, Purry went on to help Team USA secure the silver medal at the ISA World Championships.

Advertisement

Listen to the full episode here:

Subscribe to The Oregonian/OregonLive’s travel and outdoors podcast Peak Northwest on Apple, Spotify, YouTube or anywhere else you listen to podcasts. Hosts Jamie Hale and Chiara Profenna take you to some of the greatest destinations in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest. Check out more Peak Northwest episodes below.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Oregon

Tale of the tape: Previewing Oregon’s Class 3A football state title game between Cascade Christian and Burns

Published

on

Tale of the tape: Previewing Oregon’s Class 3A football state title game between Cascade Christian and Burns


We’re at the final week of Oregon high school football and the Class 3A state tournament all comes down to No. 1 Cascade Christian (12-0) and No. 3 Burns (11-1).

Here is a breakdown of Saturday’s Class 3A state championship game, which will take place at 4:30 p.m. at Summit High School in Bend.

Last meeting: Burns won 46-19 in Week 3 of the 2014 season.

Quick fact: Cascade Christian is vying to become the first team to give up zero points en route to a state title since Regis won the Class A championship in 1973.

Advertisement

About Burns

Road to the final: Def. Phoenix 54-7 (first round), Vale 32-20 (quarterfinals), Banks 36-31 (semifinals)

Last state championship: 2024 (second)

Last state final: 2024 (fifth appearance)

Coach: Matt Bruck, third season (28-14)

Offensive leaders: QB Jack Wright, sr. (144-246-3-2445, 40 TDs pass; 88-491-12 rush); RB Tommy Winn, sr. (139-943-9); WR Coltin Miller, sr. (79-1505-21); WR Preston Hill, sr. (31-471-7); TE Cannon Kemper, jr. (19-342-8)

Advertisement

Defensive leaders: LB Jasper SkunkCap, jr. (73 tackles, 15 for loss); DL Joe Weil, sr. (68 tackles, 28 for loss, 11.5 sacks); LB Kemper (69 tackles, 10.5 for loss, 5.5 sacks); LB Colter Handley, soph. (56 tackles, 5 for loss); DL Ben Chamberlain, jr. (13 tackles for loss)

Lighthearted moment: Several weeks ago, the team played a game of “blob tag,” which requires teammates to remain attached by holding hands or interlocking arms, and as they tag players and attach them to the blob, it breaks off to form new blobs. Who started as the blob? Two of their biggest linemen — Weil and classmate Wesley Graham — trying to chase down their quicker teammates, which Bruck said was a funny sight.

Secret weapon: Weil also rated a mention as the leader of the Hilanders’ offensive and defensive lines.

“On the offensive side of the ball, they create gaps for Tommy and Jack to run through as well as protect Jack,” Challengers coach Jon Gettman said. “On defense, they just shut down a Banks team that had run the ball really well all season. They are a very physical, well-coached team that puts a lot of pressure on you.”

About Cascade Christian

Road to the final: Def. Pleasant Hill 68-0 (first round), North Valley 48-0 (quarterfinals), Gervais 36-0 (semifinals)

Advertisement

Last state championship: 2023 (fifth)

Last state final: 2023 (eighth appearance)

Coach: Jon Gettman, 16th season (155-32)

Offensive leaders: QB Deryk Farmer, sr. (89-147-4-1556, 16 TDs pass; 64-682-11 rush); RB Bryson Walker, jr. (89-986-27); WR Caleb Scaglione, sr. (38-563-7); WR Mikey Covey, soph. (11-353-2); WR Caleb Parker, sr. (15-335-3)

Defensive leaders: LB Covey (63 tackles, 14 for loss, 3.5 sacks, 11 hurries); LB Wyatt Hurley, jr. (59 tackles, 6 for loss); LB Walker (58 tackles); DE Alex Fiannaca, sr. (53 tackles, 11.5 for loss); LB Seth Scaglione, jr. (44 tackles, 10 for loss, 4.5 sacks); DE Austin Cook, jr. (9.5 tackles for loss)

Advertisement

Lighthearted moment: One night before the season kicked off, Gettman invited all the players and their fathers to gather for a night of worship and prayer along with a talk from guest speaker Brandon Boice, a former Oregon State player. It was such a success that Gettman held another session during their Week 7 bye.

“We spend so much time and effort on the gridiron,” Gettman said. “But the greatest blessing is seeing these young men grow up and be leaders in the community. So, taking a break from the season and just being able to speak to the weightier things of life is what I’m thankful for.”

Secret weapon: Bruck pointed to their big three of Farmer, Walker and Caleb Scaglione, “but everything has to run through their quarterback,” he said. “But really, you have to pay equal attention to their trio.”

— René Ferrán is a freelance reporter for The Oregonian/Oregon Live. René grew up in Portland and has written about high school sports in the Pacific Northwest since 1993, with his work featured at the Idaho Press Tribune, Tri-City Herald, Seattle Times, Tacoma News Tribune, The Columbian and High School on SI. He can be reached at rferran.oregonianhssports@gmail.com



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Oregon

Oregon State women can’t keep up with No. 17 Vanderbilt in second loss of season

Published

on

Oregon State women can’t keep up with No. 17 Vanderbilt in second loss of season


Oregon State women’s basketball failed to keep pace with a dynamic offensive team Thursday night, as No. 17 Vanderbilt ran away from OSU, 88-66, in the Paradise Jam Tournament.

Playing their first game in the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Beavers (5-2) struggled against a high-pressure Vanderbilt defense, committing 21 turnovers.

The Commodores (7-0) got a game-high 35 points from superstar sophomore Mikayla Blakes and a career-high 17 from Justin Pissott. OSU got 15 points apiece from Jenna Villa and Ally Schimel, and 14 from Lizzy Williamson.

OSU fell behind 8-0 early, facing intense defensive pressure from the Commodores. Blakes was a force from the opening whistle, scoring 21 first half points.

Advertisement

The Beavers trailed, 26-13, after one, as Vanderbilt hit five three-pointers in the opening quarter alone.

But aggressive offensive play from Villa and Schimel cut the Commodores’ lead down to two in the second quarter.

With 2:30 left in the first half, a three-pointer from Cloe Vecina gave OSU the lead, 33-32. But Vanderbilt finished the half strong and took a 43-38 lead at the break thanks to the relentless scoring of Blakes and Pissott.

Vanderbilt carried their strong shooting into the third quarter, going on a 7-0 run to get it to 50-38.

The full-court press started to wear OSU down in the third, and Blakes took full advantage with easy buckets in transition. The Commodores extended their lead to 58-42 midway through the period.

Advertisement

Vanderbilt kept its foot on the gas pedal and didn’t look back, as Scott Rueck’s team committed 11 turnovers in the third quarter alone, getting out-scored 30-9. The Commodores went on a 21-5 run and took a 73-47 lead into the fourth.

Next game: Oregon State (5-2) vs. Virginia Tech (5-2)

  • When: Saturday, Nov. 29
  • Time: 11:00 a.m. PT
  • Where: St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (Paradise Jam tournament)
  • Stream: ESPN+



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending