Connect with us

Idaho

Trump Is Facing a MAGA Backlash for Qatari Air Force Facility Plan

Published

on

Trump Is Facing a MAGA Backlash for Qatari Air Force Facility Plan


The Trump Administration is facing backlash from the president’s own supporters following the announcement that a new Qatari air force facility would be built in Idaho.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced the plan to build a “Qatar Emiri Air Force facility” at the Mountain Home Air Base in Idaho. The facility will be paid for by Qatar and will be used by the country to train its pilots to fly F-15 fighter jets, which it is buying from the U.S.

The plan received quick pushback from several high-profile MAGA influencers and proponents of President Donald Trump’s “America First” agenda. 

Read More: Trump Brokers $96 Billion Boeing Deal in Qatar, Signaling a New Era of Aviation Diplomacy

Advertisement

Steve Bannon, White House chief strategist during Trump’s first term, told Newsweek that there “should never be a military base of a foreign power on the sacred soil of America.”

The deal also came under fire from MAGA stalwart and self-described Islamaphobe Laura Loomer, who holds considerable influence in the White House and has claimed credit for several hirings and firings of high-level officials in the Trump Administration. 

“Never thought I’d see Republicans give terror financing Muslims from Qatar a MILITARY BASE on US soil so they can murder Americans,” Loomer wrote on X Friday. The deal does not involve giving Qatar a military base, but rather a facility within a U.S. base.

“The Qatari influence on the Trump administration is totally out of control,” Loomer said in a separate post. “It’s inappropriate to let Qatari’s have an Air Force base on US soil.”

Loomer also shared a clip of Trump speaking in 2017 in which he accused Qatar of historically funding terrorism “at a very high level.”

Advertisement

Loomer has called herself a “proud Islamaphobe” and said 9/11 was an “inside job.” Earlier this year, she successfully campaigned for the Trump Administration to end “lifesaving” medical visas for Palestinians impacted by the war in Gaza.

The deal also drew criticism from conservatives outside of the MAGA base.

Noah Rothman, writer for conservative news organization The National Review, asked, “What’s the strategic rationale for this? Either ours or Qatar’s?”

“You could rattle off all the problems/risks we’re inviting easily. But I have no idea what the steelman case for this would be? I’m sure we don’t need to import any more Qatari covert assets into this country,” he wrote on X. 

Republican political consultant and commentator Mike Madrid said on X: “Joe Biden was criticized for a Chinese balloon flying over our airspace. They’re giving Qatar an entire f’ing air base.” 

Advertisement

In a clarifying social media post late Friday, Hegseth said that the airbase would still be under U.S. jurisdiction, and that the Qatari air force would not have its own base.

When reached for comment by TIME regarding the conservative pushback, the Department of Defense redirected to Hegseth’s social media post. The White House did not respond to a request for comment.

Many have noted that the deal with Qatar bears similarities to those the U.S. has made with other countries. The German air force still maintains a tactical training command in Texas after decades in New Mexico, and more than 1,000 Singaporean military troops train in the U.S. each year. Pilots from several other NATO allies also train in the U.S. 

But President Donald Trump’s relationship with Qatar has come under scrutiny in recent months following a string of deals both in and outside of government. 

In April, the Trump family company struck a deal to build a luxury golf resort in Qatar. The next month, Trump unveiled his plan to accept a luxury Boeing jet as a gift from the Qatari government, claiming on Truth Social that the “free” gift would save U.S. money and that “only a FOOL would not accept” the gift.

Advertisement

That move received blowback from Republicans and Democrats alike. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer called the move the “kind of thing that even Putin would give a double take,” and Republican lawmakers also aired out national security concerns over the $400 million plane.

“He’s going to turn Air Force One into Bribe Force One,” Democratic Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts told TIME in May.

The Qatari deal follows the nation’s role, along with the U.S. and Egypt, as a mediator in peace talks that led to the newly enacted Israel-Hamas peace deal and ceasefire. In accordance with the first phase of the deal, Israel pulled back its forces in the Gaza Strip to agreed-upon lines on Friday, and Hamas is now expected to release the remaining 48 hostages, 20 of whom are believed to be alive. The U.S. plans to send 200 troops to Israel to monitor the deal.

Read More: Israel Pulls Back Troops as Gaza Ceasefire Takes Effect

“No one other than President Trump could have achieved the peace—what we believe will be a lasting peace—in Gaza, and Qatar played a substantial role from the beginning, working with our folks to make sure that came about,” Hegseth said during the announcement of the air base in Idaho.

Advertisement



Source link

Idaho

Crews work to contain Moore Fire that has burned 1,500 acres; fire investigation underway

Published

on

Crews work to contain Moore Fire that has burned 1,500 acres; fire investigation underway


UPDATE: (as of 7:15 p.m. on May 23)
Neighborhood Reporter Allie Triepke has confirmed with the Ada County Sheriff’s Office that road closures have been lifted.


A fire near Kuna off Swan Falls Road has burned 1,500 acres, according to BLM Idaho Fire.

Crews with Boise Unit Fire responded to the scene at 3:28 p.m. on Saturday, May 23.

Advertisement

The fire is being referred to as the Moore Fire and is being ruled a human-caused fire, according to the Idaho Department of Lands.

Containment is projected for 9:00 p.m. Saturday, though times may change based on active fire activity.

Road closures are in effect from West Victory Lane south to Dedication Point, BLM Idaho Fire said in a Facebook post. Swan Falls Road is the only access route in and out of the area, so drivers should expect delays until the closure is lifted.

Neighborhood Reporter Allie Triepke is at the scene and sees multiple BLM fire trucks on scene, with state police turning away cars coming from Swan Falls Road.

Triepke reports that Idaho Power, Ada County Sheriff’s Office, and Idaho State Police are also on the scene.

Advertisement

She adds that, though it is not a mandatory evacuation, officials are advising people to leave the area. Authorities are currently surveying the area where the fire started, and an investigation is underway.

Idaho News 6 will continue to update this story.

Send tips to neighborhood reporter Brady Caskey

Have a story idea from South Boise, West Boise or Kuna? Share it with Brady below —





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Idaho

Idaho Parents Owing Over $100,000 in Child Support Face U.S….

Published

on

Idaho Parents Owing Over 0,000 in Child Support Face U.S….


Noncustodial parents in Idaho with U.S. passports who are significantly behind on child support payments will soon find that their passports have been revoked.

The U.S. Department of State announced on May 8 that it will begin revoking passports of noncustodial parents who owe more than $100,000 in past-due child support, using its authority under Section 452(k) of the Social Security Act. Starting June 1, passport revocations will be implemented for those owing more than $75,000.

The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare immediately started implementing the new policy, which was effective nationwide on May 8. Idaho Child Support Services is currently monitoring 150 noncustodial parents who are more than $100,000 behind on child support payments. At this time, the program does not know how many non-custodial parents have passports who also are behind in their child support payments.

“This is an exciting step in helping children thrive in Idaho because they have the full support of their parents,” said DHW Director Juliet Charron. “This will allow us to make sure parents are providing the court-ordered support their children need and are entitled to.”

Advertisement

Idaho Child Support Services provides a variety of services depending on the family’s needs. The program can establish paternity, establish or modify an order for financial and medical support, receive and distribute child support payments, and take enforcement actions when necessary.

Previously, the program had several options to enforce the collection of unpaid child support including:

  • Withholding support payments from income
  • Reporting debts to credit bureaus
  • Garnishing bank accounts and assets
  • Suspending Idaho driver’s hunting, fishing, and occupational licenses
  • Filing liens
  • Denying passports before they are issued

Revoking current U.S. passports is now added to that list.

Parents who have their passport revoked should address any questions to the State Department contact listed in their revocation letter. After they pay their debt, they will be able to apply for a new passport. Parents who have already applied for a passport should pay their debt immediately to ensure the application process continues. Those who are traveling out of the country and receive notification that their passport has been revoked should contact Idaho Child Support Services to pay the debt. They will then need to contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for passport application procedures. They are only eligible for a limited-validity passport for direct return to the United States until repayment of the debt has been verified.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Idaho

Unknown man stole dead teen’s identity 25 years ago to obtain $300K in government aid, Idaho jury finds

Published

on

Unknown man stole dead teen’s identity 25 years ago to obtain 0K in government aid, Idaho jury finds


POCATELLO, Idaho — A federal jury has convicted a man of wire fraud, theft of government funds, and aggravated identity theft after prosecutors revealed he spent more than two decades posing as a California teenager who died in 1977.

Following a three-day trial before David C. Nye, jurors found the defendant, whose real identity remains unknown, guilty Thursday on multiple charges, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Idaho.

The defendant assumed the identity of Carlos Ramon Obregon, who was born in Los Angeles in 1963 and killed in a drive-by shooting at age 14, according to evidence presented at trial.

In 2000, 23 years after Obregon’s death, the defendant requested a replacement Social Security card using Obregon’s personal information. Obregon’s mother later testified the man is not her son and that she had never met him.

Advertisement

Prosecutors said the defendant used Obregon’s identity to collect approximately $283,000 in government benefits over more than 20 years. That includes $177,000 in Supplemental Security Income payments, $91,000 in Medicaid funds, $12,000 in SNAP benefits and $3,200 in COVID-19 Economic Impact Payments.

The defendant also obtained government-issued documents using Obregon’s identity, including a U.S. passport in 2012 that he used to travel to Mexico, and multiple Idaho identification cards. A 2024 passport renewal attempt was denied.

Investigators from multiple agencies contributed to the case as the U.S. Department of Justice expands its work through the newly formed National Fraud Enforcement Division.


Report by EastIdahoNews.com staff





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending