Uncommon Knowledge
Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.
A series of maps show the full extent of California’s proposed high-speed rail routes that would provide an efficient and quick way of travel between the state’s major cities.
Renewed interest has surfaced in high-speed rail travel after Brightline West, a new all-electric, 218-mile rail line bringing passengers from Las Vegas, Nevada, to Rancho Cucamonga, California, broke ground on Monday after construction was delayed for several years.
The project is expected to be completed before the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles. The California High-Speed Rail Authority has another rail line planned that would provide a trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles in less than three hours, but progress has been slow.
Brightline West
According to maps on the Rail Authority’s website, the proposed high-speed rail line would traverse three regions—northern, central and southern California.
“The Phase 1 system will connect San Francisco to the Los Angeles basin via the Central Valley in under three hours on trains capable of exceeding 200 miles per hour,” the website said. “Phase 2 will extend to Sacramento and San Diego.”
A spokesperson for the Authority told Newsweek that the project is at an “exciting time.” There are 171 miles of rail line under construction, and there is environmental clearance for 422 miles.
“In the last year alone, the Authority has been awarded $3.3 billion in new federal funds to advance the work on the initial operating segment between Merced and Bakersfield, signifying a renewed federal partnership,” the statement said.
California High Speed Rail Authority
There are two legs to the northern California project. Phase 1 involves creating a high-speed rail line from San Francisco to Merced, with stops in between at Millbrae-SFO, San Jose and Gilroy. Phase 2 would bring travelers from Sacramento to Merced with stops at Stockton and Modesto.
For the San Francisco to San José leg of the journey, the Authority plans to introduce high-speed rail service to the Caltrain corridor. Environmental clearance was completed in 2022, and construction of the Caltrain electrification is under way.
Environmental clearance also was completed for the San José to Merced leg.
“Electrifying the existing rail corridor from San José to Gilroy will modernize the rail corridor for electrified high-speed rail service and allow Caltrain to extend electrified service to southern Santa Clara County,” the website said.
California High Speed Rail Authority
The middle stint of the statewide project travels from Merced to Bakersfield with rail stations at Fresno and Kings/Tulare. Construction is most promising in this segment.
“The electrified high-speed rail line between Merced and Bakersfield is the first building block of the statewide system. This 171-mile line will offer the nation’s first true electrified high-speed rail service,” the Authority said on its website.
The spokesperson told Newsweek that this leg of the project is expected to be completed by 2030 to 2033.
The southern California stint also involves two phases. Phase 1 would bring travelers from Bakersfield to Anaheim with stops in Palmdale, Burbank and Los Angeles. Phase 2 would travel from Los Angeles to San Diego with stops at San Bernardino and Riverside. The southern California map also shows the Brightline West route.
California High Speed Rail Authority
The statewide project has been plagued with delays and price jumps. Voters approved the project in 2008, KTLA reported, with Phase 1 taking travelers from San Francisco to Los Angeles. At the time, the project was anticipated to be operational by 2020 and cost $33 billion.
Four years past the deadline, the project is still far from being completed and the price has jumped to $128 billion.
“The full Los Angeles to San Francisco line completion date is contingent on federal funding,” the spokesperson told Newsweek.
According to a U.S. House testimony by Lee Ohanian, a UCLA professor and Stanford University fellow, California began its journey to high-speed rail in 1993 by creating the California Intercity High-Speed Rail Commission. Three years later, the commission was replaced by the California High-Speed Rail Authority.
“California’s HSR project has little to show over this 30-year period. The project is significantly delayed, and its budget has increased to about four times its initial cost. Some of this is due to mistakes in planning, management, oversight, and accountability,” Ohanian testified.
“But other factors reflect more endemic challenges in building HSR, including limitations in understanding the scope and size of the problems and risks that can arise in such a major infrastructure project.”
Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.
Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.
It’s been 16 months since a massive fire tore through one of the world’s largest lithium-ion battery storage facilities in rural Monterey County, spewing toxic gas into the air as it smoldered for several days, and, even today, cleanup is far from complete.
It will take at least several more months, and possibly another year, before the charred, waterfront power plant owned by Texas-based Vistra Corp. is cleared, Monterey County Supervisor Glenn Church said.
The process is slow because it is dangerous, with thousands of batteries yet to be removed and crews working carefully to avoid reigniting a fire. “Of course, quicker would be better, but safety has to be first,” Church said.
The blaze in Moss Landing provoked hostility toward battery projects in California, where state officials are pursuing an aggressive goal of 100% clean energy usage by 2045 to increase the grid’s capacity and combat the catastrophic effects of climate change.
Battery energy storage systems hold excess energy generated during the day — by solar panels, for instance — and release it into the power grid during times of high demand, including evening hours. California has invested heavily in battery storage, which, my colleague Hayley Smith reported, grew more than 3,000% from 500 megawatts in 2020 to more than 15,700 megawatts in 2025.
A new bipartisan bill introduced this month in the U.S. House of Representatives aims to keep this transition safe.
The Better Energy Storage and Safety Act would dedicate federal funding of $30 million annually over the next five years toward research and stress testing for the systems.
It was authored by Rep. Jimmy Panetta, a Democrat whose Central Coast district includes Moss Landing, and co-led by Rep. Pat Harrigan, a North Carolina Republican.
Despite efforts by the Trump administration to stymie green energy, Panetta said in an interview, “you have to accept the reality of renewables … That’s why we want to ensure that it’s as safe as possible.”
The Moss Landing fire has represented the proverbial elephant in the room in the midst of California’s rapid energy transition, Church said.
He has called for more local control over where battery systems are built and been a vocal advocate for more safety regulations, saying the catastrophe in Moss Landing should be learned from, not written off as “an inconvenient accident.”
With proper engineering, lithium-ion battery storage sites pose little risk of catching fire, Shirley Meng, a molecular engineering professor at the University of Chicago and internationally known battery expert, told me last fall. She said safety has improved dramatically in recent years and that the failure rate is about 1 in 10 million for all types of lithium-ion batteries.
California is now speeding review for large-scale renewable energy projects through a new fast-track permitting program that does not require sign-off from county and municipal governments — a fast-track process that Church has criticized.
Last fall, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a new state law — prompted by the Moss Landing accident— that requires battery storage safety standards and requires developers to coordinate closely with local fire departments.
Stacey Shepard, a spokesperson for the California Energy Commission, said in an email that “today’s battery systems are governed by rigorous safety standards,” use improved technology and “are placed in outdoor containers rather than inside buildings,” unlike in Moss Landing site.
Firefighters let it burn for days, citing the dangers of dousing lithium-ion battery fires with water, which can cause dangerous chemical reactions.
The blaze ignited inside a former turbine building that contained a 300-megawatt system made up of about 4,500 cabinets, each containing 22 individual battery modules, according to Vistra Corp.
Of the 99,000 individual LG battery modules in the building, about 54,450 burned, according to Vistra. Justin Daily, a spokesman for the company, said in an email that as of May 8, more than 31,000 battery modules had been removed, de-energized and shipped to recycling facilities.
“We are now working to enable safe access to batteries in the damaged portion of the building,” he said.
A bird flies by a plume of smoke from the Sandy fire off Redwood Grove Court in Simi Valley.
(Kayla Bartkowski / Los Angeles Times)
Commentary and opinions
On May 22, Disneyland’s Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run will include a new mission as well as new destinations such as the gas-like locale of Bespin, seen here in concept art provided by Disney. The tweaks are tied to the film “The Mandalorian and Grogu.”
(Disney Parks)
Is it worse than this burnt-out three-bedroom in Torrance that sold for over $1 million?
Email us at essentialcalifornia@latimes.com, and your response might appear in the newsletter this week.
A firefighter pauses while clearing brush in the Sandy fire in Simi Valley.
(Kayla Bartkowski / Los Angeles Times)
Today’s photo is from Times photographer Kayla Bartkowski on a hill in Simi Valley near the Sandy fire, one of multiple blazes consuming more than 20,000 acres.
Have a great day, from the Essential California team
Hailey Branson-Potts, staff reporter
Hugo Martín, assistant editor, Fast Break desk
Kevinisha Walker, multiplatform editor
Andrew J. Campa, weekend writer
Karim Doumar, head of newsletters
How can we make this newsletter more useful? Send comments to essentialcalifornia@latimes.com.
Which of these is least likely?
Kendrick Lamar and Drake squashing their feud?
Giants fans and Dodgers fans sharing high-fives?
Or California charter schools endorsing the same candidate for superintendent as the state’s largest teachers’ union?
If you remember the 2018 election, you’d probably vote for the pigs-flying scenario of the California Charter Schools Association and the California Teachers Association being on the same page in an election year. Back then, advocates for both sides shelled out tens of millions of dollars in the contest between union-supported Tony Thurmond and charter school-backed Marshall Tuck. Thurmond came out ahead.
But this year, both associations are rallying behind candidate Richard Barrera: Four months after the teachers’ union announced its endorsement of the president of the San Diego Unified school board, the charter schools association this week said it’s backing Barrera too — a move Barrera told me “came as a bit of a surprise.”
He pointed to two attributes of San Diego schools that might explain how the usually competing groups came to support his candidacy. First, unlike in other regions, the politics surrounding San Diego school board races or other education issues did not typically pit “charters versus union.” In fact, the percentage of students attending charters grew while he was on the board.
And second, the school board included charters when it distributed money to improve school facilities. That experience working on local facilities bonds established “a unique relationship between the charter and public schools that CCSA has told me that doesn’t exist in most places,” Barrera said.
In a statement, Gregory McGinity, the executive director of the charter association’s lobbying arm, said Barrera, “has shown that supporting educators and supporting high-quality charter public schools are not mutually exclusive.”
But don’t expect both groups’ backing of Barrera to mean they will agree with each other in the future. CTA President David Goldberg told me that while the union didn’t endorse Barrera to build a coalition with charters, he didn’t find the charter association’s support of Barrera “shocking” either.
Bodycam and drone video show the deadly SWAT standoff after Tulare County Deputy Randy Hoppert was killed serving an eviction notice on April 9, 2026. Credit: Kern County Sheriff’s Office
Bodycam and drone video show the deadly SWAT standoff after Tulare County Deputy Randy Hoppert was killed serving an eviction notice. Credit: Kern County Sheriff Office
Super Bowl Winning Quarterback, Iowa Native Set Adds More To Resume
Pedestrian injured in Thursday crash in Kansas City later dies
Six Kentucky hospitals to receive portion of $105 million in FEMA funds
Portion of Louisiana Highway 1 to be named after fallen Vivian officer
Maine ballot initiative to prevent trans athletes in girls sports could be ruled invalid
Governor Moore Continues “Delivering for Maryland” Tour in Allegany and Garrett Counties One Year after Historic Floods, Highlighting Infrastructure and Recover
Harmful microplastics were found in Lake Michigan and the Chicago River
Massachusetts Fallen Heroes Memorial hosts annual rededication ceremony – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News