Connect with us

Southeast

Louisiana bill to castrate sex offenders moving toward governor’s desk for signature

Published

on

A proposed Louisiana Senate bill allowing judges to sentence convicted child rapists to surgical castration may become law. 

Reversible chemical castration through medication is already approved as a criminal punishment in the state, but earlier this month, the House of Representatives passed Democratic Sen. Regina Barrow’s bill by a vote of 74 to 24, which would take the punishment a step further.

The law would allow judges to order the procedure for men or women who have committed an aggravated sexual offense against a child under 13, assuming that they are a viable candidate. The procedure would take place no less than one week after a convicted person finishes their prison sentence. If they don’t show up or refuse, per the proposed bill, they could be sentenced to an additional three to five years behind bars.

2 ESCAPED LOUISIANA INMATES FOUND HIDING IN DUMPSTER BEHIND DOLLAR GENERAL STORE, 2 OTHERS STILL AT LARGE

Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry will decide whether SB371, which would allow judges to sentence child sex offenders to surgical castration, becomes law. (Valerie Plesch/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Advertisement

“We have to stand and fight for the children,” Democratic Rep. Delisha Boyd said when carrying the bill to the House, according to the Louisiana Illuminator. 

Boyd cited reports of a 51-year-old Baton Rouge man recently arrested for the alleged rape of a 12-year-old girl. The man was already on the sex offender registry after a previous offense in 2007, suggesting that the proposed bill could thwart repeat sexual predators.

The House approved the bill on several conditions, most notably that offenders younger than 17 would be excluded from the harsh new punishment, the outlet reported. Provided that the Senate approves the changes, the bill will be sent to the governor’s desk.

 LOUISIANA CLASSIFIES ABORTION DRUGS AS CONTROLLED, DANGEROUS SUBSTANCES AFTER GOV. LANDRY GREENLIGHTS PROPOSAL

Security gate at the Louisiana State Penitentiary

Vehicles enter the main security gate at the Louisiana State Penitentiary – Angola Prison, the largest high-security prison in the country, on Aug. 5, 2008. (AP Photo/Judi Bottoni)

Louisiana’s state Department of Corrections and Public Safety said the cost of castration per prospective inmate would be $550 to $680 per offender, but did not provide a total yearly cost for the shift, per the outlet. 

Advertisement

The bill is expected to face a legal challenge over its constitutionality, with Democratic State Sen. Edmond Jordan claiming that defending the statute in court would cost the state at least $100,000, per the outlet, citing conversations with opposing organizations. 

Jordan also objected to the bill’s “historical context,” arguing that it was reminiscent of unwarranted lynching and castrations of Black men in the Jim Crow era and that the punishment would inordinately be applied to Black men. 

USA TODAY NEWSPAPERS QUIETLY DELETE GOP SENATOR’S OP-ED ON TRANS ATHLETES WITHOUT TELLING HIM

Louisiana State Senator Regina Barrow

Louisiana State Sen. Regina Barrow introduced the bill. (Paras Griffin/Getty Images for 2017 Essence Festival)

“Who does this affect most?” Jordan asked lawmakers, per the Illuminator. “I know it’s race neutral. I know we say it can apply to anybody, but we all know who it affects.”

Bruce Reilly, of Voice of the Experienced, told WWL Louisiana that his organization opposed the bill, and that “there’s not supposed to be any mutilation of people’s bodies” in crime and punishment. 

Advertisement

“Now we’re going to add in cutting off somebody’s testicles,” he told the outlet. “Where do we draw the line on our punishments?”

Per the wording of the bill, female offenders ordered to undergo the procedure would have their ovaries removed.

The original version of the bill required all convicted sex offenders to undergo the procedure. The current version has been amended to let a judge make the decision. 

Boyd told the outlet that although she wasn’t “foolish [enough] to believe that if this gets on the books… all rapists are going to say I am not going to do it,” she believes the statute would be “a deterrent.” 

Advertisement

But Reilly said Louisiana had one of the highest wrongful conviction rates in the country, and he “believe[s] there were 10 other people who may have been eligible for the punishment who have been exonerated.”

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Southeast

6 states halt Biden administration's Title IX rewrite after West Virginia athlete's lawsuit

Published

on

Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Having trouble? Click here.

A U.S. district court in Kentucky on Monday ordered the implementation of the Biden administration’s new Title IX protections halted after a West Virginia girl and a Christian Educators Association International sued after a transgender teen competed on a middle school team.

The new injunction applies to Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Virginia and West Virginia.

Advertisement

An athlete prepares to compete in the men’s 4×100-meter relay during the Division I Men’s and Women’s Outdoor Track & Field Championship on June 7, 2023 in Austin, Texas. (C. Morgan Engel/NCAA Photos via Getty Images)

“Nonetheless, despite society’s enduring recognition of biological differences between the sexes, as well as an individual’s basic right to bodily privacy, the Final Rule mandates that schools permit biological men into women’s intimate spaces, and women into men’s, within the educational environment based entirely on a person’s subjective gender identity,” the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky said in its ruling. 

“This result is not only impossible to square with Title IX but with the broader guarantee of education protection for all students.”

A federal judge blocked Biden’s Title IX rule in Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana and Idaho last week.

Advertisement

Tennessee v. Cardona centers around the case of B.P.J., Becky Pepper-Jackson – a track athlete in West Virginia whose representatives overturned the Saves Women’s Sports Act in the state back in April.

FLASHBACK: WEST VIRGINIA TRANSGENDER SPORTS BAN OVERTURNED IN FEDERAL APPEALS COURT

Transgender flag

President Biden’s Title IX rewrite was halted in a few more states on Monday. (Alexander Pohl/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Pepper-Jackson at the time was the only transgender girl identified by advocates and the opposition as wanting to play on a girls’ team in West Virginia. Pepper-Jackson had been competing with and against girls since entering middle school and has been taking puberty blockers since age 13.

In April, five West Virginia middle school athletes refused to compete against Pepper-Jackson in an event.

Alliance Defending Freedom, which filed the lawsuit on behalf of the Christian Educators Association International and the aggrieved 15-year-old girl, wrote in its suit that 300 female athletes had been displaced in three years in discus and shot put.

Advertisement

Riley Gaines, an OutKick contributor who hosts the “Gaines for Girls” podcast and is the director of the Riley Gaines Center at the Leadership Institute, issued a statement on the ruling.

“This is a huge win,” Gaines said. “I don’t think we would have seen this kind of decisive action 2 years ago. The gender ideology house of cards is crumbling. And it’s crumbling fast.

“I hope every generation following mine has the same opportunity to compete and succeed that I was fortunate to have for most of my athletic career. But if it’s up to Biden and the progressive Democrats, they won’t.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Advertisement



Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Southeast

Trump running mate contender makes pitch to top Republican donors

Published

on

Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Having trouble? Click here.

Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina, a top ally and potential running mate of former President Trump, is making the case for the presumptive Republican presidential nominee.

Scott, who ran unsuccessfully for the 2024 nomination but remains a very popular figure in the GOP, on Wednesday convenes a one-day summit that is drawing top figures in the Republican Party as well as mega-donors who have yet to commit to Trump’s White House campaign.

Advertisement

The all afternoon and evening gathering of Great Opportunity Policy, a Scott-aligned non-profit group that supports his political and policy agendas, will also double as a fundraiser for the former president as Trump enters his final phases in his search for a running mate.

THESE REPUBLICANS ARE CONSIDERED TO BE ON TRUMP’S SHORT LIST 

Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., right, speaks in front of former President Trump during a campaign rally on Feb. 28, 2020 in North Charleston, South Carolina. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File)

The senator helped organize a major fundraiser for Trump earlier this year ahead of the South Carolina primary, and he attended a top-dollar fundraiser in New York City for the former president last month. Additionally, Scott, the only Black Republican in the Senate, earlier this month launched a $14 million effort to help the former president win over Black and other non-White working class voters that Scott argues could be the deciding factor in November’s elections.

On Wednesday, he will be making the case for Trump to a number of top donors and billionaires, including Ken Griffin, the founder of the Citadel hedge fund, who spent tens of millions during the 2024 Republican primaries in support of Trump’s rivals, and hedge fund executive Bill Ackman of Pershing Square Capital, who helped finance the campaigns of GOP presidential contender Nikki Haley and Democrat turned independent Robert F. Kennedy Jr., and also supported GOP candidates former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, and biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy.

Advertisement

VP STAKES: TRUMP MEETS WITH POTENTIAL RUNNING MATES

When asked what his message is to top donors who have yet to fully commit to the former president, Scott told Fox News Digital last month that “it is in the best interest of the United States of America to have four more years of President Donald Trump. It is in the best interest of our economy to have four more years of Donald Trump.”

“The one thing you can discern as a top donor and Republican and, frankly, a strong business person is that a strong economy makes all things possible,” 

Then-GOP presidential candidate Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina speaks with members of the New Hampshire Federation of Republican Women at an event at Saint Anselm College's New Hampshire Institute of Politics, on May 25, 2023 in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Then-GOP presidential candidate Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina speaks with members of the New Hampshire Federation of Republican Women at an event at Saint Anselm College’s New Hampshire Institute of Politics, on May 25, 2023 in Manchester, New Hampshire. (Fox News )

Scott, who was one of roughly a dozen Republican candidates who unsuccessfully challenged Trump for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination before ending his White House bid late last year, endorsed the former president in January.

The conservative senator from South Carolina over the past five months has become a top Trump surrogate and is considered to be among a small group of contenders on the short list as Trump’s running mate on the 2024 Republican ticket.

Advertisement

Political analysts say that Scott, as a Black evangelical, could help the former president make a sizable dent in President Biden’s lead with minority voters.

Trump praises Scott as potential running mate

Republican presidential candidate former President Trump, right, looks to Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., during a Fox News Channel town hall on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024 in Greenville, South Carolina. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)

His campaign trail efforts on behalf of Trump appear to have impressed the former president.

“You are a much better candidate for me than you are for yourself,” Trump has said to Scott a handful of times.

However, pundits question whether Scott’s uneven debate appearances during the Republican presidential primaries could be an issue for him if he faces off against Vice President Kamala Harris this summer in a general election running mate debate.

Advertisement

Get the latest updates from the 2024 campaign trail, exclusive interviews and more at our Fox News Digital election hub.

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Southeast

Red states ask court to stop Jack Smith's gag order against Trump in Florida documents case

Published

on

FIRST ON FOX: A group of 24 Republican state attorneys general have filed an amicus brief in former President Trump’s classified documents case, asking a Florida court not to grant special counsel Jack Smith’s gag order request, calling it “presumptively unconstitutional.”

“Free and fair elections in the United States depend on candidates’ ability to speak about important issues of the day. Attempts to stop a candidate from speaking out harm more than just the candidate. They also hurt the voters, who are denied access to crucial information, and the States, which are responsible for managing elections,” the amicus brief filed Monday in the Southern District of Florida stated. 

“And when agents of one candidate seek a court order to muzzle discussion on matters relating to important electoral issues, that restraint raises even more fundamental First Amendment concerns,” the brief said. 

Led by Iowa Attorney General Brenna Bird, the group of top state prosecutors argue that “[e]ach branch of government, even the judiciary, should be cautious about abridging core political speech—especially core political speech relating to a presidential election. 

JUDGE REFUSES TO GAG TRUMP IN CLASSIFIED DOCS CASE, SAYS SPECIAL COUNSEL MOTION FAILED ‘BASIC’ REQUIREMENTS

Advertisement

Former President Trump holds a rally in the historically Democratic South Bronx on May 23, 2024 in New York City. (Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

“Unfortunately, the special prosecutor’s request here does not reflect that caution,” the brief states. 

Last month, Smith’s team filed a motion to U.S. District Judge Aileen M. Cannon, who is presiding over the classified documents case, requesting that she prohibit Trump from making statements that “pose a significant, imminent, and foreseeable danger to law enforcement agents participating in the investigation and prosecution of this case.” Trump claimed in a campaign appeal that FBI agents were “locked & loaded ready to take me out & put my family in danger.”

Prosecutors said Trump’s “grossly misleading” claims cited a standard FBI form that details limiting the use of force to emergency situations. The same form was used when federal agents searched for documents at President Biden’s home.

The AGs in their brief argued that Smith’s request asked the court “to curtail that right by ordering a prior restraint on President Trump’s constitutionally protected speech. Such an order is presumptively unconstitutional.” 

Advertisement

TRUMP PREVIEWS CLOSING ARGUMENTS IN ‘SHAM TRIAL’: ‘VERY DANGEROUS DAY FOR AMERICA’

Image shows Donald Trump, Mar-a-Lago and federal affidavit

Former President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida was searched by the FBI in 2022. (Getty Images)

“If granted, this request would prevent the presumptive Republican nominee for President of the United States from speaking out against ‘the prosecution and the criminal trial process that seek to take away his liberty,’” they wrote.

“That prosecution, of course, is led by a Department that President Trump’s political opponent controls.”

“Politics has no place in a criminal prosecution,” Bird said in a statement to Fox News Digital. “Everyone has the right to free speech, including President Trump. This unconstitutional gag order would prevent President Trump from defending himself while he is on the ballot and deny Americans their right to hear from both candidates ahead of an election.” 

Bird was joined by attorneys general of Florida, West Virginia, Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

Advertisement

JACK SMITH ASKS JUDGE TO RESTRICT TRUMP STATEMENTS AFTER ‘INFLAMMATORY’ REMARKS ABOUT FBI RAID

Jack Smith before giving remarks on Trumps indictment

Special counsel Jack Smith arrives to give remarks on a recently unsealed indictment including four felony counts against former President Trump on Aug. 1, 2023 in Washington, D.C. (Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

“Once again, we are witnessing a prosecutor seek to keep the presumptive Republican nominee for President from speaking in the midst of an election,” Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody. “The First Amendment, at its core, is designed to protect political speech, and I along with my colleagues will not stand idly by and watch the Biden administration trample the free speech of a Florida citizen.”

 

The AGs argued in their brief that “[t]o be sure, there are times when a gag order, even of a political candidate, may be justified.” 

“But this Court need not find the distant boundary of when such an order is justified because the facts here do not justify such an extraordinary restraint,” they said. 

Advertisement

Fox News’ Chris Pandolfo contributed to this report. 

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending