Connect with us

Washington, D.C

D.C.’s speed cameras are catching super violators. Most have Va. and Md. tags.

Published

on

D.C.’s speed cameras are catching super violators. Most have Va. and Md. tags.


An Audi with Maryland tags and 891 tickets in D.C. amounting to $259,214 in unpaid fines remains on the streets, with 18 speeding violations in the nation’s capital just this month. A Hyundai registered in Virginia racked up 689 tickets in the city.

Even as the District’s traffic cameras have multiplied and inspired copycats in other cities, city officials have struggled to get repeat offenders who were caught by that system off the street, particularly those whose vehicles are registered outside the nation’s capital. That may change, though, after high-level conversations among local officials prompted legislation in Virginia and Maryland that would allow cross-border cooperation on the issue.

A data analysis by The Washington Post shows what’s at stake – millions of dollars and the increased public safety that comes with an ability to punish drivers going over 100 mph on residential streets.

Advertisement

Most people who get a speeding ticket in the District never get one again, officials say, and speeds go down in areas where cameras have been placed. But city records show hundreds of people speed again and again in the same locations with little consequence, with the camera installed to prevent such behavior documenting each new violation.

One vehicle with a Maryland license plate got 182 tickets in a single year on an eight-block stretch of Alabama Avenue in Southeast Washington. In the northeastern part of the city, another vehicle with Maryland tags was issued 109 tickets in a year, just where a camera was located at 1400 Bladensburg Rd. A car with Virginia plates got 556 tickets in 12 months, more than any other vehicle in that time frame; it was towed when the fines owed reached $292,780 late last year.

Data analyzed by The Post shows that from 2018 through 2025, more than 80 percent of tickets were issued to people who exceeded the posted speed limit by 11 to 15 mph. The worst offenders – those who exceed the speed limit by at least 30 mph – make up less than 1 percent.

But the more excessive speeders contributed to about 30 percent of all fatal crashes since 2019, D.C. data shows.

The biggest obstacle to better enforcement in the city is that most violators live in Maryland or Virginia. Of the 103 vehicles with the most tickets in fiscal 2025, 67 have Virginia plates, 25 have Maryland plates, and 3 have D.C. plates. Of the 100 top speeds registered by cameras in the past two years, 37 of the vehicles involved had Virginia plates, 35 carried Maryland plates, and 13 featured D.C. plates.

Advertisement

Neither of those states penalize their residents for citations issued by cameras in another jurisdiction. That could change soon. D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) spoke recently to the governors of Maryland and Virginia about enforcement across state lines. Both states’ legislatures are working on bills to make it possible.

It’s a “new step forward,” a spokesman for Bowser said.

The District has also begun suing drivers from across the border over unpaid tickets, a power that Attorney General Brian Schwalb (D) got last year from legislation written by D.C. Council member Charles Allen (D-Ward 6). Schwalb’s office has won judgments or settlements against 15 drivers from Maryland and Virginia that total $608,292, though the vast majority of that money has yet to be claimed.

One of the lawsuits is against the owner of a Honda CRV caught going 151 mph off Interstate 695 onto South Capitol Street on Feb. 16, 2024, according to city data. The vehicle’s owner, Kylie Ann Sullivan of Fredericksburg, Virginia, has failed to pay 197 citations, according to Schwalb’s office. She said in a letter to the court that her ex-boyfriend was “the one behind the wheel for more than 98 percent of these offenses” and that she has not driven since he totaled the SUV three months after that high-speed drive. “I would also like to stress that no one was ever injured or harmed as a result of any of these incidents,” she added. Her case is pending.

Four of the 100 vehicles that accrued the most D.C. speeding tickets in the 2024 fiscal year belong to people sued by the city over unpaid fines. All of the owners either declined to comment or could not be reached. One owner, Chanel Laguna of Falls Church, Virginia, accrued 168 tickets that year through one of the six license plates the city identified as being registered to her; altogether she has been issued 345 citations. Laguna wrote in a court filing that she was not responsible for all of the tickets because she shared two vehicles with other people, including an Uber driver. She said both those vehicles have since been taken to an impound lot.

Advertisement

Clark Mercer, who was chief of staff to former Virginia governor Ralph Northam, said he was alerted to the problem of cross-border ticket enforcement only when leaving that office in 2022.

“I said, ‘We can’t effectuate anything; we’re literally packing up. I wish I had known about this earlier,’” Mercer recalled. He is now in charge of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, a regional planning group, and has been pushing for action.

Mercer said he learned that one way drivers evaded responsibility for camera tickets was by getting tags from Virginia, which allows non residents to register vehicles there: About 14,000 D.C. drivers have Virginia tags. More than half of the drivers being sued by Schwalb’s office have a collection of both Maryland and Virginia license plates.

Out-of-state tags also are an issue in Baltimore. An analysis found that six of the 10 vehicles with the most tickets for speeding in school zones had Virginia tags. About 100,000 Maryland drivers have Virginia tags, data reviewed by The Post shows. Along with ticket enforcement legislation, Maryland lawmakers are working to make it easier to flag and penalize residents with out-of-state tags.

Both Maryland and Virginia have an incentive to cooperate with D.C. as they expand their own camera enforcement programs.

Advertisement

“The stars are starting to align to get this done,” Mercer said. “We’re moving in a very positive direction.”

Cars can also be stolen or the tags forged. Tanyeka Brown of Temple Hills, Maryland, said her Nissan Maxima was caught repeatedly on traffic cameras on Bladensburg Road. The vehicle was stolen from outside her house in December, she said, and after that “I was getting tickets every day, at least 10 of them.” Brown said her car was found in a tow lot last March, “damaged to the point that I couldn’t even drive it.”

The District now has a law automatically dismissing tickets when someone reports a vehicle as stolen so that they don’t have to challenge each ticket in court, but it applies only to D.C. residents. Non-D. C. residents must still contest those violations before a judge.

For now, D.C. can seize out-of-state vehicles only if they are parked on the street in the city. That doesn’t always happen. The Maryland Audi got a parking ticket in February in Northeast Washington but wasn’t towed.

Advertisement

The Department of Public Works has said that 2,000 vehicles were impounded last year, including 556 vehicles with more than $2,000 owed, but that to tow more requires more staff and equipment. Advocates say the real problem is a lack of urgency.

“A 4,000-pound machine driven repeatedly at reckless speed by someone who has shown that they will not stop is absolutely no different from someone with an AK-47,” Karthik Balasubramanian of the group D.C. Families for Safe Streets said at a recent public hearing. “If there was such a person who was roaming the District with an AK-47 randomly shooting … we would mobilize all available resources to separate that person from their weapon and let them get the help that they need. Why are we not doing the same with the dangerous drivers who are abusing their own weapons?”

The District still has by far the most automated enforcement in the region: About 3.3 million camera tickets were issued in 2025, according to city data.

The number of tickets issued each year has steadily climbed, after dropping at the start of the covid pandemic. Starting in 2023, more than $150 million in speeding tickets have been issued each year, with 2025 hitting more than $257 million, the most since before the pandemic.

Studies have found that traffic cameras can reduce crashes significantly. But “the cameras only go so far for the most egregious drivers,” said Sharon Kershbaum, director of the D.C. Department of Transportation Director. “And those are the same ones who are going to be causing the fatal crash.”

Advertisement

After rising for years, traffic fatalities fell dramatically last year, from 52 in 2024 to 25, according to data from D.C. police. But they remain about as high as they were a decade ago, when Bowser made a commitment to end traffic deaths by 2025. There have been 12 deaths on city roads so far this year.

Meanwhile, some House Republicans have threatened to eliminate D.C.’s speed-camera program, arguing it is unfair to drivers. The White House has indicated it might support such a GOP proposal.



Source link

Washington, D.C

US Commission of Fine Arts approves Trump’s Washington, DC arch despite public opposition

Published

on

US Commission of Fine Arts approves Trump’s Washington, DC arch despite public opposition


US President Donald Trump’s proposal to build a 250ft-tall arch on Memorial Circle in Washington, DC, was approved by a the US Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) on Thursday (21 May) in a vote that leapfrogged the usual review process and largely disregarded the public comments, which were “99.5%” in opposition to the project, according to a staff report. While the arch’s design still lacks some key details, including additional sculptures and reliefs to fill its niches, the CFA’s chairman, Rodney Mims Cook, Jr, put forward a motion for final approval, which was passed by the four present commissioners. (National Endowment for the Arts chair Mary Anne Carter, who attended the first portion of the meeting, did not return after a break was called before the vote.)

During the CFA’s previous review of the conceptual designs for the arch, panel members recommended excluding gold statuary from the top of the arch to reduce its overall height from 250ft to 166ft. But Trump rejected this suggestion, “while respectfully noting the differences of aesthetic opinion that may exist on the subject”, according to Nicolas Charbonneau, a principal at Harrison Design, the architects working on the project.

“The intent of the arch is a celebration in America of 250 years of greatest freedom and posterity, for which we can only thank the wisdom of our founders and God’s providence,” Charbonneau added. “While it may celebrate the victories of America in various theories of war and the sacrifice of our fallen heroes, it is not primarily a monument dedicated to the dead, but to the living, to this free country, and its perseverance.” (Memorial Circle is located near the main entrance to Arlington National Cemetery, the country’s most important military cemetery.)

The design discussed on Thursday eliminates an eight-foot platform on which the arch was previously shown standing as well as a collection of gold lions on plinths surrounding it. It also does away with a proposed tunnel that visitors would use to reach the arch, instead relying on traffic lights and pedestrian walkways across the busy traffic circle. Most of the CFA panellists seemed satisfied with these changes and to have forgotten their previous reservations about the arch’s size, insisting that the main structure was actually 166ft high.

Advertisement

Carter was the sole panellist suggesting any further reduction in the arch’s decorative elements, drawing a comparison to the simplicity of the white stone markers at soldiers’ graves in Arlington Cemetery, where both her parents are buried. Memorial Circle “is between what was a historical part of this country and on one side really is hallowed ground”, she told the architects, “so I appreciate what you’ve done, and as you continue moving forward, just keep in mind how simple those gravestones are to the south”.

The arch could ultimately be even more heavily decorated than the current designs show, since its currently blank wall surfaces are intended to feature a series of “narrative sculptures”, Charbonneau said during his presentation of the updated design. When asked if work was already underway or when further details would be ready, the architect said: “I can’t give you an exact date, but the administration is working on developing a scheme.”

The most recent rendering of the Triumphal Arch, seen in situ from Memorial Bridge Courtesy Harrison Design

The hearing was then opened to public comments, which included statements from representatives of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the DC Preservation League and the Cultural Landscape Foundation, as well as Washington residents.

“I’m here this morning because I am horrified by the speed with which the Triumphal Arch project is moving through the approval process,” said Susan Douglas. She outlined the public and legal objections to the project, including the fact that Congressional approval is not being sought, Trump’s own admission that the arch is being built for “him”, the lawsuits brought against it by veterans groups, the structural issues of building on a manmade island composed mainly of landfill dredged from the Potomac River and the necessary Federal Aviation Administration review since the structure would stand in the flight paths to and from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

Advertisement

“There are myriad reasons for not allowing the construction of the ‘Arc de Trump’ to move forward,” Douglas said “Democracies do not build memorials to living presidents. Building this gaudy arch in a location that will overpower everything in its midst and interrupt the historically significant view between Lincoln Memorial and the Arlington National Cemetery is an affront to our history and to the men and women at Arlington National Cemetery who gave their lives in service to our country as well as to those who remember them. It is in fact arch insanity.”

Gary Langston, a veteran, spoke next and shared photos of the view across Memorial Bridge towards Arlington Cemetery that he took during a recent visit to the Lincoln Memorial with his son.

“One of the more breathtaking views is from the DC side looking across to Arlington House,” Langston said, adding that the commission should consider how this would be affected, especially at night if the arch is fully lit. “I seriously question the underlying purpose of the arch, which is a monument, as opposed to a memorial,” he added. “Those are hallowed grounds there. Anything that doesn’t respect that, anything that doesn’t help bring unity to the country, is in conflict with what I believe is the original intent.”

After several more members of the public spoke, Cook considered ending any further comments. Carter noted “a lot of the stuff that they’re talking about, we’re actually not the venue”, although she added: “I appreciate everyone talking. I appreciate everyone’s concerns. That’s what America’s about.”

One final speaker was allowed to take the microphone, John Ayers, a fourth-generation DC resident, who noted that since Memorial Bridge serves as the ceremonial entrance to Arlington Cemetery, serious thought should be put into anything on this route. He quoted a document issued in 1902 by the McMillan Commission, the group behind Washington’s urban design, which included the architects Daniel Burnham and Charles F. McKim, the landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted Jr and the sculptor Augustus Saint Gaudens.

Advertisement

“A cemetery, they wrote, should be ‘a place to which one should go with a sentiment of respect and peace, as into a church or sacred place’,” Ayers said. “I have no objection to a monument for the living, I just don’t think it belongs here on our way to the cemetery.”

Cook then suggested the public’s opposition to the arch was due to a lack of understand about the history of such triumphal arches and said a document would be posted on the CFA’s website providing other historic examples.

The CFA’s vice chair, James McCrery, the original architect of Trump’s ballroom proposal to replace the White House’s demolished East Wing, suggested that people arguing that the arch’s design is too large “need to understand that if you make it smaller, it will block the view, and its current size, it doesn’t”. Rather, he argued, the arch in the current proposal will create a frame through which to view the capital’s landmarks. He added that the CFA is meant “to work with designs that are presented to us, to work on them as a forge, to make them better, to make them more appropriate, to make them more beautiful”.

After a brief break called by Cook due to a family emergency, the commission reconvened (sans Carter) and voted to approve the design, noting that they looked forward to seeing the additional sculptural components in the future. The arch will next go under review by the National Capital Planning Commission, which is also staffed largely by Trump appointees and loyalists, on 4 June.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Washington, D.C

DHS directs flights to US from Ebola affected countries to Dulles International Airport

Published

on

DHS directs flights to US from Ebola affected countries to Dulles International Airport


The Secretary of Homeland Security is ordering all U.S.-bound flights carrying travelers who were in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda or South Sudan within the past 21 days to land only at Washington–Dulles International Airport following the discovery of a rapidly spreading Ebola outbreak.

Advertisement

The rule applies to flights departing after 11:59 p.m. on May 20, 2026, and remains in effect until canceled.

American doctor tests positive in Ebola outbreak that spurred global health emergency

Measures include screening, temperature checks, and contact tracing if needed.

Advertisement

DHS directs flights from Ebola affected countries to Dulles

The Ebola outbreak caused by the Bundibugyo virus was confirmed in northeastern DRC on May 15.

Advertisement

According to an Associated Press report on Thursday, 51 cases have been confirmed in Congo’s northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, and two cases in Uganda, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday. There are 139 suspected deaths and almost 600 suspected cases.

The Source: Information in this article comes from the Department of Homeland Security, the Associated Press and previous FOX 5 reporting.

NewsHealthDullesMarylandVirginiaWashington, D.C.
Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Washington, D.C

Go, Go Marty’s! (all the way to Washington, DC)

Published

on

Go, Go Marty’s! (all the way to Washington, DC)


By BRENDA MOSELEY news@yourdailyglobe.com BESSEMER – Marty’s Goldenaires, the nation’s last American Legion-sponsored drum and bugle corps, is heading to Washington, D.C., for the National Memorial Day Parade on May 25. “It’s the opportunity of a lifetime,” Director Dan Pitrone said. It’s also a chance for the rest of the country to see why the tal…



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending