Connect with us

South

Python swallows woman whole in Indonesia

Published

on


A missing woman was found eaten alive by a massive python after locals cut her body out of the snake in Indonesia.

Farida, 45, went missing on Thursday night. Her body was discovered inside the reticulated python Friday by her husband and residents of Kalempang village in South Sulawesi province, a local official said, according to AFP.

The search for the missing mother of four began after she failed to return home Thursday night, village chief Suardi Rosi told AFP.

Her husband “found her belongings… which made him suspicious. The villagers then searched the area. They soon spotted a python with a large belly,” Suardi said.

Advertisement

FLORIDA BEACH VACATION HOTSPOT CLOSED AFTER BACK-TO-BACK SHARK ATTACKS

Video shows the horrifying moment a reticulated python was found to have eaten a missing mother of four whole.  (Viral Press)

“They agreed to cut open the python’s stomach. As soon as they did, Farida’s head was immediately visible.” 

The missing woman was found fully clothed inside the massive snake, which was reported to be at least 16 feet long.

Her husband, identified as Noni, expressed regret that he let his wife go out on her own. “If I had been with her that day, the snake would not have dared to touch her,” he said, according to ViralPress. 

Advertisement

“I feel sorry for the suffering she went through. I am sorry for our family,” he said. 

CHILDREN ATTACKED, STOMPED AT LOCAL PARK BY AGGRESSIVE COW ELK, OFFICIALS SAY

A reticulated python

Reticulated python (Python reticulatus), front view, head detail. These massive snakes, native to Indonesia and areas of the Asian pacific, grow the longest in the world.  (RibeirodosSantos/iStock)

Such incidents are incredibly rare, but not unheard of in Indonesia.

Last year, residents of Southeast Sulawesi’s Tinanggea district killed a monster 26-foot-long python, which was found strangling and eating a local farmer, according to AFP. 

In 2018, a 54-year-old woman was found dead inside a 23-foot-long snake in Southeast Sulawesi’s Muna town. 

Advertisement

SUMATRAN TIGER ON THE LOOSE, BELIEVED TO HAVE KILLED MAN IN INDONESIA

Reticulated Python

Reticulated python, a nonvenomous constrictor snake native to South and Southeast Asia with a wide open mouth. (Philippe Clement/Arterra/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)

And in the previous year, a farmer in West Sulawesi disappeared and was later found being eaten alive by a 13 foot python at a palm oil planation, AFP reported.

The reticulated python is considered the world’s longest snake and is indigenous to Indonesia, the Philippines, India and Borneo. The longest reticulated python ever discovered was 32 feet in length and weighed an incredible 350 pounds, according to Reptiles Magazine.

Its natural diet is mainly rodents, but larger snakes have been known to feed on pigs, civets, bearcats and even primates.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

Federal law prohibits reticulated pythons from being imported to the United States, except with a permit for zoological, educational, medical and scientific purposes. 

Some reptile enthusiasts may breed them as pets, but they require lots of space due to their size and should only be cared for by dedicated and prepared keepers, according to Reptile Supply.



Source link

Advertisement

South

Biden order to block most illegal immigrants when crossings surge, as election nears

Published

on


Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Having trouble? Click here.

The White House on Tuesday announced long-awaited executive actions to stop illegal immigrants at the southern border claiming asylum if crossings reach a certain level — a move coming just months before the November election and that could soon see a legal challenge from activists.

Advertisement

“Today I’m moving past Republican obstruction and using executive authorities available to me as president to do what I can on my own to address the border,” President Biden said in a speech on Tuesday afternoon, accusing Republicans of refusing to secure the border.

Biden is issuing a presidential proclamation that will temporarily suspend the entry of non-citizens across the southern border once the number of average border encounters exceeds 2,500 a day over seven days, officials said. That will stay in effect until 14 days after there has been a seven-day average of less than 1,500 encounters along the border. Officials said it would make it easier for immigration officers to quickly remove individuals who do not have a legal basis to remain in the U.S.

In the last 24 hours at the border, sources tell Fox there were 5,200 encounters, and it has averaged over 5,000 every day for the past week. There were 179,725 encounters at the southern border in April, compared to 211,992 in April 2023, and 189,357 in March. While those numbers are lower than highs seen in 2022 and 2023, they still remain high compared to pre-2021 numbers.

BIDEN EXPECTED TO ANNOUNCE BORDER ACTIONS AS POLITICAL HEAT INTENSIFIES AHEAD OF NOVEMBER ELECTION 

President Biden has called for more congressional action on illegal immigration and the border crisis. (Biden photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images, Migrant caravan photo by Jose Torres/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Advertisement

In doing so, Biden is drawing upon authorities under 212(f) and 215(a)of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) which allows presidents to suspend entry of certain categories of foreign nationals. The Trump administration used 212 (f) on a number of occasions, including for the travel ban from certain countries, but it was blocked by a legal challenge from applying it to the southern border. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said on Tuesday that it intends to launch a legal challenge against the moves announced by Biden.

The order includes a number of exceptions for those coming across the border. It will not apply to visa holders, unaccompanied children, victims of a “severe form” of trafficking, as well as those who face an acute medical emergency or an imminent threat to life or safety. It also does not apply to those seeking entry to the U.S. via ports of entry using the CBP One app — of which around 1,500 migrants are allowed in each day.

It is expected to take place immediately, and will be accompanied by a joint rule restricting asylum eligibility during high border encounters that will be issued by the Departments of Justice and Homeland Security.

It marks a significant move toward the right from the Biden administration. In 2021 the administration rolled back a series of Trump-era border protections, which critics say encouraged the historic migrant numbers that followed. There have been over 7 million migrant crossings during Biden’s time in office.

Biden on Tuesday attempted to cast his new order in the light of defending immigration to the U.S. more broadly.

Advertisement

“To protect America as a land that welcomes immigrants, we must first secure the border and secure it now,” he said. “Simple truth is there is a worldwide migrant crisis and if the United States doesn’t secure our border, there’s no limit to the number of people who might try to come here, because there’s no better place on the planet than the United State of America.”

The administration says it is dealing with a hemisphere-wide challenge that needs congressional action to provide funding and fix what it says is a “broken immigration system.” The White House has said that this action comes now after Republicans have rejected other attempts at congressional actions, including a bipartisan Senate bill that would have implemented a similar limiting mechanism as well as providing additional funding.

“The presidential proclamation, together with the interim final rule, is another important step in our more than three years of ongoing efforts to strengthen our ability to impose consequences on those who cross our southern border,” a senior administration official told reporters on Tuesday ahead of the announcement.

FOX NEWS POLL: VOTERS SAY THE US-MEXICO BORDER IS A BIG PROBLEM

“But we are clear eyed that today’s executive actions are no substitute for Congress taking up and passing the tough but fair bipartisan Senate bill, which would have significantly strengthened the consequences in place at the border and, equally important, have provided billions of dollars to support the men and women who are working on the front lines to secure our border,” they said.

Advertisement

While Republicans have previously urged the administration to use 212(f) to stop illegal crossings, ahead of the announcement lawmakers were unimpressed and called it a move that was too little, too late.

“By my count, he’s issued 94 executive orders since he’s been president for the United States. But he’s waited until today to actually do what he calls effective action on the border,” Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said at a press conference. “And my question to him is, why did you wait until now if you were serious about doing it? The simple answer is he’s not serious about securing the border.

Other lawmakers claimed it was a cynical move just months out from an election in which Biden is struggling due to his handling of border security. A recent Fox News poll found that seven in 10 voters go so far as to say the White House has “mostly failed” at improving border security. 

MAYORKAS SAYS SOME MIGRANTS ‘TRY TO GAME’ ASYLUM SYSTEM, AS BORDER REMAINS TOP POLITICAL ISSUE

migrant influx

Dec. 18, 2023: Migrants flood into Eagle Pass, Texas, waiting to be processed. (Fox News)

“It’s a little late, you can’t make this cat walk backwards,” said Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., who described Biden as “polling right up there with fungal infections.”

Advertisement

The move comes with Biden facing intense political pressure on the crisis from both the left and the right.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE COVERAGE OF THE BORDER SECURITY CRISIS

Mayors of cities like New York City, Denver and Chicago have demanded more funding from the federal government and have called for additional action, including expedited work permits. Recently, 15 House Democrats wrote to Biden calling on him to take additional action at the southern border.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“It has become clear that the current situation remains untenable, but with Republicans playing politics on border security, it is time for your administration to act. We urge you to use all tools at your disposal, including executive action, to better address security at the Southern border, interdict illicit fentanyl and allow for orderly legal immigration,” the letter said.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Miami, FL

Crews put out house fires in Miami, North Miami – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale

Published

on

Crews put out house fires in Miami, North Miami – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale


NORTH MIAMI, FLA. (WSVN) – The skies opened up across South Florida on Wednesday, but the heavy rainfall did not prevent fires from breaking at homes in North Miami and Miami.

Ten Miami-Dade Fire Rescue units responded to the scene of the first house fire near Northwest 130th Street and 10th Avenue in North Miami, just before 9:25 a.m.

Crews arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the south side of the structure.

Firefighters quickly hosed down the flames extinguish the fire. Crews noticed gas cylinders that had ignited due to the fire, so they pulled a second hose line to cool the tanks.

Advertisement

The local utility company was called out to secure a downed power line and the utilities to the home.

At around 3:35 p.m., City of Miami Fire Rescue crews responded to the scene of the second house fire in the area of Southwest 64th Court and Fifth Avenue.

Crews arrived at the scene of the blaze to fond the one-story home with smoke billowing from the rear.

A 7News viewer sent in cellphone video of the smoke and flames.

Firefighters extended hose lines into the rear of the property and found an exterior fire. They also rescued a dog from an efficiency in the rear. All other residents evacuated before crews arrived.

Advertisement

Volunteers with the American Red Cross are assisting five adults and three children who were displaced as a result of the fire.

The Miami Fire Investigation Unit was also requested to determine the origin and cause of the fire.

No injuries were reported in either fire.

Remember, if you see news happening and can do so safely, take a picture or shoot video and send it to: senditto7@wsvn.com.

Copyright 2024 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Advertisement
Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox



Source link

Continue Reading

Atlanta, GA

Colton Cowser’s two-run home run helps Baltimore Orioles beat Atlanta Braves, 4-2

Published

on

Colton Cowser’s two-run home run helps Baltimore Orioles beat Atlanta Braves, 4-2


Orioles Cole Irvin pitches in to help Baltimore animal rescue shelter

Advertisement


Orioles Cole Irvin pitches in to help Baltimore animal rescue shelter

03:14

Advertisement

Colton Cowser hit a tiebreaking two-run homer in the eighth inning, and the Baltimore Orioles won their sixth straight game, beating the Atlanta Braves 4-2 on Wednesday night.

Cade Povich pitched six scoreless innings in his second big league outing for Baltimore, but Atlanta tied it when Matt Olson hit a two-run shot off Keegan Akin (2-0) in the eighth. Cowser answered with a drive to right-center off Joe Jiménez (1-2) that cleared the wall despite an impressive leaping effort by center fielder Michael Harris II.

Craig Kimbrel worked a perfect ninth against the franchise he’s most associated with, earning his 16th save in 19 chances.

Atlanta has dropped five straight for the first time since 2017 — the last year the Braves didn’t win the NL East. They entered Wednesday night 10 games behind first-place Philadelphia.

Povich allowed five hits without a walk and struck out six. The 24-year-old left-hander was called up last week to help a Baltimore staff that lost John Means and Tyler Wells to season-ending injuries. Those problems haven’t slowed the Orioles much lately. They’ve allowed nine runs during this six-game streak.

Advertisement

Baltimore scored two in the third against Spencer Schwellenbach. Cedric Mullins hit a leadoff double, and Jorge Mateo singled. Mullins came home on Gunnar Henderson’s groundout. When Adley Rutschman hit a grounder to first, Olson’s throw home was low and skipped past catcher Sean Murphy. Mateo scored to make it 2-0.

Povich allowed six runs in 5 1/3 innings in his debut at Toronto. He permitted a couple singles to start the fourth against Atlanta, then struck out Austin Riley and got out of the jam on a couple grounders. The Braves had two more hits off him in the sixth but didn’t score. They’ve left 18 men on base through the first two games of this series.

Up Next

The Orioles try for a three-game sweep Thursday, sending Cole Irvin (6-2) to the mound against Reynaldo López (3-2).

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending