Connect with us

North Carolina

Previewing Arkansas vs. North Carolina A&T

Published

on

Previewing Arkansas vs. North Carolina A&T


The Arkansas Razorbacks (9-2, 0-0 SEC) have just two non-conference matchups left before they start SEC play, and they can’t look past the North Carolina A&T Aggies (3-9, 0-1 CAA), who will visit Bud Walton Arena on Saturday.

Arkansas’ penultimate non-conference matchup looks like an easy game on paper, but another wire-to-wire win would help the Razorbacks in the metrics and analytics. Right now, the Hogs sit at No. 40 in KenPom and No. 48 in the NET rankings.

The Aggies are led by second-year head coach Monte Ross. He was an assistant at Temple for four years and spent 10 years as the head coach at Delaware prior to that. Last season, NC A&T finished 7-25 and 5-13 in the Coastal Athletic Association.

This season, it hasn’t gone much better. The Aggies are at 3-9 with wins over Cheyney University of Pennsylvania, The Citadel and Morgan State University. They’ve lost seven games in a row, with the most recent game a 73-68 loss to Coastal Carolina.

Advertisement

There are several interesting ties between the Aggies and the Razorbacks in Saturday’s matchup. NC A&T junior guard Jordan Martin is the son of Arkansas assistant coach Chuck Martin. North Carolina A&T’s leading scorer, Landon Glasper, is a Fayetteville native and was at Fayetteville High School while Arkansas staff member Ronnie Brewer was on staff.

The Aggies’ second-leading scorer, Ryan Forrest, is also an Arkansas native and hails from Marion. He and Glasper played AAU ball for Brewer while in high school.

Here’s HawgBeat’s preview of what you need to know about the North Carolina A&T Aggies ahead of Saturday’s contest, including analytics, players to watch for and more…



Source link

Advertisement

North Carolina

Duke-North Carolina court storm controversy escalates after DA’s rebuke of ‘punched in the face’ accusation

Published

on

Duke-North Carolina court storm controversy escalates after DA’s rebuke of ‘punched in the face’ accusation


If choking away a big lead to heated rival North Carolina isn’t bad enough, Jon Scheyer is now being accused of lying by a North Carolina district attorney.

Jeff Nieman, the district attorney for Chatman and Orange Counties in North Carolina, called out the Duke head coach after he said staff members got “punched in the face” after Tar Heels fans stormed the court following an upset win in Chapel Hill on Feb. 7.

“A week has passed, and what seemed likely is now patently obvious. There is zero evidence that anyone from Duke’s basketball program was ‘punched in the face’ at the Smith Center last week. Nor is there any evidence that a staffer was ‘trampled on the floor’ or ‘in a complete brawl’, for that matter,” Nieman tweeted Monday afternoon.

Fans storm the court on Feb. 7 in Chapel Hill. Getty Images

“Some have asked why I’m talking about this. It’s certainly not because of a sports rivalry. That’s no business of the DA’s Office. But I’ve seen firsthand how reckless accusations of violence incite more violence, and that is my business. Someone with the power and influence of a major men’s basketball coach should exercise more discretion before just saying things that can have real-world consequences.”

Advertisement

After a 101-64 home thrashing of Syracuse on Monday night, Scheyer stood by his story.

“I would like to focus on Syracuse, but I’ll tell you that I know what I saw and I know what happened with our staff after the game, and that’s the bottom line. I’m not going to go and circle back or get into — I don’t know what was said or wasn’t said or what people want to claim, but I know what happened,” Scheyer said. “I’m always going to support our staff in those situations, and again, I could’ve even said more and I’m not going to do that, but we’re moving on. … But I don’t want to go back.”

This Tobacco Road drama dates back to the teams’ first meeting this season when North Carolina rallied to stun Duke, 71-68, on Seth Trimble’s 3-pointer in the final seconds.

Fans stormed the court after the team’s largest comeback win over Duke in 25 years — according to the ESPN broadcast — and that’s when Scheyer alleges things went off the rails.

Jon Scheyer during the win over Duke on Monday. Getty Images

“I got staff members that got punched in the face,” Scheyer said that day. “My family pushing people away, trying to not get trampled. That’s not what this game is about. You give them all the credit in the world. It’s not about the game, but obviously that was a scary ending and this rivalry is not about that.”

Advertisement

Nieman posted Monday after the rivalry game, asking for evidence of any said assaults for potential prosecutions, noting that “what particularly interests” him was the alleged punches.

“On Saturday night, Duke men’s basketball coach alleged multiple assaults occurring against his staff. If provided with evidence to support these allegations, they should be charged and we will prosecute,” he wrote in a two-part tweet on Feb. 9. “With over 20,000 recording devices there, it’s impossible to imagine that these assaults would not have been captured on one or more of them. So please, if you are in possession of evidence of these crimes, please come forward.”

Jeff Nieman in 2022. AP

Duke and North Carolina meet again on March 7 in Durham in the teams’ regular-season finales in what will surely be an intense atmosphere.

The Blue Devils (24-2, 13-1 ACC) first have a massive game Saturday against top-ranked Michigan that could influence the No. 1 seeds in the upcoming NCAA Tournaments.

North Carolina (20-5, 8-4) is trying to stay afloat without starter Caleb Wilson, who recently broke his hand.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

North Carolina

More than 70,000 voters will stay on North Carolina voter rolls after settlement

Published

on

More than 70,000 voters will stay on North Carolina voter rolls after settlement


More than 73,000 North Carolinians will be given more time to show identifying documentation to election officials to remain on the state’s voter rolls following a settlement between the national parties and the state’s election board.

The settlement, which lays out the ways in which the state will collect the required proof of identity for the voter list, was signed by the Democratic and Republican parties Monday and sent federal court for approval.

The Republican National Committee and North Carolina GOP sued state election officials in 2024, alleging a quarter million voters had been improperly registered because their registrations did not include the last four digits of their Social Security numbers, driver’s license numbers or an attestation that they had neither.

Republicans asked to have the voters’ registrations removed and the ballots they had cast tossed out in a pair of lawsuits. The Democratic National Committee intervened in the suit on behalf of state election officials.

Advertisement

“This latest victory is a win for Americans and yet another blow to the Republicans’ scheme to disenfranchise voters ahead of the midterm elections,” DNC chair Ken Martin said in a statement after the settlement.

The North Carolina State Board of Elections, which said that only around 100,000 voters lacked an identifier like a driver’s license number as of last summer, began updating voter registrations last year. The board also sent letters to more than 82,000 voters asking them to update their registrations.

As of December 2025, around 73,000 voters do not yet have that information on file.

Under the terms of the settlement, those voters will stay on the voter rolls and their registrations will be updated when they vote. Under North Carolina law, voters must show identification when casting a ballot, at which point election officials will update their registrations with the IDs they use.

Any voters who do not show the requested identifier, typically a driver’s license number, when they vote will be asked to cast a provisional ballot and to show election officials other identifying documents to prove their identities.

Advertisement

North Carolina has been a closely divided battleground state in recent elections. President Donald Trump won the state by about 183,000 votes in 2024 and by less than 75,000 votes in 2020.



Source link

Continue Reading

North Carolina

Brunswick news: investigations, new golf business and housing boom

Published

on

Brunswick news: investigations, new golf business and housing boom


From golfing to investigations, Brunswick County has had a week of new discoveries and anticipations.

The town of Leland is facing excitement and anger as town hall renovations wrap up and a potential investigation ramps up. Leland officials requested the town attorney research and provide a legal opinion about a situation involving council member Frank Pendleton and a computer purchase.

Advertisement

Let’s get social

For more news about what’s happening in Brunswick County, follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BrunswickToday.

Investigators at the North Carolina State Board of Elections are also investigation a situation in Brunswick, voter registration applications turned into the county board of elections with missing required voter information or inaccurate information. Here’s the scoop on what’s going on with allegations of misconduct by voter registration drive workers and inaccurate voter registration applications in the state.

While Family Dollar in Leland faces its last days of being open, longtime business owners of storefronts within Clairmont Shopping Center share how staying tucked away from bustling areas has benefitted them for decades.

Advertisement

In southern Brunswick, the Carolina Shores Board of Commissioners turned down a developer’s second proposal to rezone and redevelop the Carolina Shores Golf and Country Club property. However, developers could return with a third proposal since the town’s code of ordinances allows for single-family residential development on the golf course property.

Here we grow again

A family is bringing a new entertainment facility to the county. Net Par Shallotte is a golf simulator and social spot being built in a commercial building near across U.S. 17 from Ashley Furniture in Shallotte. Managers say they plan to open in March. Here are more details about the business and what to expect.

Advertisement

East Lake in Leland is a a master planned development bringing 3,925 single family lots, 693 townhomes and 300 multifamily units across 2,114 acres in the southwest corners of Interstate 140 and U.S. 74/76. New Leaf Builders recently broke ground their Charleston-style community in East Lake with hopes to open in early summer with a model home, along with multiple move-in-ready inventory homes for buyers ready to settle in.

The agenda

County commissioners are meeting today, Feb. 16, at 6 p.m. The agenda includes a $491,284 contract for preconstruction of the new elementary school to be built on the Jackey’s Creek property and a $99,869.48 budgeted purchase of a compact excavator.

The Grand Strand Area Transportation Study Transportation Advisory Committee meets at 10:30 a.m. on Feb. 17 at the Ocean Isle Beach Town Hall. Discussions include transportation project updates, transportation safety performance targets for the state and crash data.

Want your friends to be in the know? Forward this newsletter to them.

Advertisement

Savanna Tenenoff covers Brunswick County for the StarNews. Reach her at stenenoff@usatodayco.com.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending