Connect with us

Mississippi

State of Mississippi Rejects Resolution Passed by the City of Oxford to Allow Sale of Antebellum Home Cedar Oaks

Published

on

State of Mississippi Rejects Resolution Passed by the City of Oxford to Allow Sale of Antebellum Home Cedar Oaks


The City of Oxford Board of Aldermen voted on Tuesday, February 20, 2024 in favor of passing a resolution to allow a sale of the city-owned antebellum home.

Voting in favor of the resolution were Aldermen Brian Hyneman of Ward III, Kesha Howell Atkinson of Ward IV, and Preston Taylor of Ward V. Voting against the resolution were Aldermen Rick Addy of Ward I (where Cedar Oaks is located), Jason Bailey of Ward VI, and new Alderman-at-Large Mary Martha Crowe.

Because Ward II Alderman Mark Huelse was absent from the meeting, there was a tie, which triggered Mayor Robyn Tannehill to cast a vote. Mayor Tannehill voted in favor of the resolution to allow a sale. The audience at the Board of Alderman meeting erupted in a chorus of “boos” and walked out.

On Wednesday, February 21, Mayor Tannehill posted an update to social media which read, “At 8:00 this morning the City Clerk received an email from Shane Barnett, Chairman of the House Local and Private Committee announcing that the committee would only be considering resolutions for local and private legislation that had passed from the local entities with a unanimous vote. Mr. Barnette also noted that the new deadline for submission of such legislation would now be March 22, 2024.

Advertisement

The City’s vote on local and private legislation last night related to the public trust language that preceded the warranty deed from Cedar Oaks, was not passed by a unanimous vote. Therefore, Oxford will not pursue the change in Local and Private Legislation considered at last night’s Board of Alderman meeting.

I look forward to community discussions regarding how Cedar Oaks can be more sustainable, in the best interests of all the citizens of Oxford.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Mississippi

$15.5 million project underway to upgrade Central Mississippi’s interstate lighting system

Published

on

$15.5 million project underway to upgrade Central Mississippi’s interstate lighting system


JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) – The number of interstate lights that are out due to copper wire theft in the Jackson metro has been the subject of two 3 On Your Side investigations.

[READ: Driving in the Dark: While other states crack down on copper wire theft, MS continues brainstorming strategies]
[READ: Still Driving in the Dark: Improvements to Mississippi’s interstate lighting system still months away]

Wednesday, a Mississippi Department of Transportation official provided an update on MDOT’s efforts to light up our interstates.

In January, we told you that MDOT had awarded a contract to Garver Engineering, a firm that’s currently assessing and evaluating Central Mississippi’s interstate lighting system.

Part of the firm’s project includes putting nearly $8,000,000 toward items that will make it harder for thieves to steal copper wire.

Advertisement

“This is a permanent repair, so it’s not a Band-Aid or anything like that,” MDOT Public Information Officer Michael Flood said.

Flood says MDOT’s leadership decided years ago that it would be a waste of taxpayer dollars to continuously repair lights that had been stripped of their copper wire because it would likely only be a matter of time before thieves struck again.

But now, Flood says he’s happy to report that progress is being made.

“In recent years, we haven’t had that good of an update. We have kind of been at a loss, so it’s nice to be at this point where we are moving forward,” he said. “We do have a contract in place to not only upgrade to LED lights but also have preventative measures in place to prevent copper theft and keep our interstates lit up. “

Some of those preventative measures include a monitoring system where MDOT is alerted if a segment of lights goes out, allowing crews to respond immediately.

Advertisement

Part of the project with Garver Engineering also includes doing away with bridge mounts and restricting access to wires by burying conduits underground and not having any junction boxes that are accessible from the surface level.

“We have a plan in place. It’s going to be a process. We just ask everyone to bear with us and give us some patience and time to allow us to make those repairs.”

The process is expected to last for a number of months.

Flood says he’s hopeful the firm will get to the design phase of the project toward the end of the year and then the implementation phase would follow shortly afterwards.

When asked why a project like this was not started years ago, Flood said processes like this take a lot of time – especially when the Federal Highway Administration has to be involved.

Advertisement

In the meantime, MDOT has been making repairs to interstate lights that were out due to the need for routine maintenance – not copper wire theft.

That includes the lights along I-55 at Meadowbrook Road and Eastover Drive, which are now working again.

Want more WLBT news in your inbox? Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please click here to report it and include the headline of the story in your email.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Mississippi

Mississippi woman’s body found in yard of abandoned home

Published

on

Mississippi woman’s body found in yard of abandoned home


COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) — An investigation is underway following the discovery of a woman’s body in the yard of an abandoned home in Columbus, Mississippi.

Bryan Moore, the public information officer for the Columbus Police Department, said someone found the body at approximately 10:00 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant later confirmed the name of the victim as Ashanti Jade Turner, 25.

The family says she lived close to the abandoned house and that someone last saw her Sunday, April 21.

Advertisement

The coroner said an autopsy will be performed.

Her death is being treated as a homicide, according to the coroner.

The Columbus Police Department said in a news release that Turner’s boyfriend, Damian Peterson, is a person of interest in the investigation.

Anyone with information that may help investigators is asked to call the tip line at 1-800-530-7151.

Want more WLBT news in your inbox? Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.

Advertisement

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please click here to report it and include the headline of the story in your email.



Source link

Continue Reading

Mississippi

Mississippi lawmakers haggle over possible Medicaid expansion as their legislative session nears end

Published

on

Mississippi lawmakers haggle over possible Medicaid expansion as their legislative session nears end





Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending