Connect with us

Florida

CBS Sports experts narrowly pick Arkansas over Florida on Saturday

Published

on

CBS Sports experts narrowly pick Arkansas over Florida on Saturday


Florida basketball prepares for its third game of the Southeastern Conference schedule this Saturday in Fayetteville against the Arkansas Razorbacks. Coming off a monumental upset of the Tennessee Volunteers, the Gators are looking to keep the momentum going.

However, their inability to rein in the Kentucky Wildcats in Rupp Arena to open the calendar year has left some doubt as to whether Todd Golden’s gang can dominate away from the O’Connell Center. At least, that appears to be evident in CBS Sports’ expert picks for Saturday’s SEC matchup.

Of the seven respondents on the expert panel, four picked the Hogs straight up — Matt Norlander, Kyle Boone, Cameron Salerno and Isaac Trotter — while Gary Parrish, David Cobb and Jerry Palm picked the Orange and Blue.

“Arkansas opened conference play with two tough draws. The Razorbacks faced No. 1 Tennessee on the road and No. 23 Ole Miss at home,” the summary begins. “Calipari hasn’t dropped three straight SEC games since the 2020-21 season when he was the head man at Kentucky. Florida is coming off an emotional win over No. 1 Tennessee earlier this week. This seems like the perfect storm for Arkansas to pull off the home upset.”

Advertisement

How to watch Florida-Arkansas

The Gators return to the road to take on the Arkansas Razorbacks in Fayetteville on Saturday, Jan. 11. Tipoff is slated for 4 p.m. ET and the game will be broadcast on ESPN.

Follow us @GatorsWire on X, formerly known as Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Florida Gators news, notes and opinions.





Source link

Florida

U.S. says suspected drug trafficker rescued from plane crash off Florida linked to Bahamas politician

Published

on

U.S. says suspected drug trafficker rescued from plane crash off Florida linked to Bahamas politician


Opposition leaders in the Bahamas are demanding an investigation into a suspected drug trafficker who survived a recent plane crash near Florida and was allegedly found with roughly $30,000, according to a U.S. federal agent. The money was inside a bag labeled with the name of an unidentified high-ranking politician from the archipelago.

The suspect, who was deported to the Bahamas more than a decade ago after being convicted on drug and money laundering charges, is accused of trafficking cocaine through the Bahamas to the U.S.

He also is accused of meeting the unnamed politician in October 2024 at the Bahamian Parliament in Nassau to talk about a deal involving some 1,000 kilograms (2,200 pounds) of cocaine, according to a court document filed May 14 in the Southern District of New York, a day after the plane crash. It stated that the politician “could provide security for the planned cocaine shipment” and was introduced to an unnamed suspect as a “future associate.”

The allegations are the latest blow to the Bahamas, whose police commissioner resigned in December 2024 after a sergeant and two officers were indicted in what the U.S. Justice Department at the time called “a massive cocaine conspiracy enabled by corrupt Bahamian government officials.”

Advertisement

“Since at least May 2021, drug traffickers have smuggled tons of cocaine through The Bahamas for importation into the U.S. with the help and support of corrupt Bahamian government officials,” the Justice Department said in 2024 when announcing charges against the chief superintendent of the Royal Bahamas Police Force.

Michael Pintard, leader of the opposition Free National Movement party, claimed Monday that he does not believe the Bahamas’ prime minister, who secured reelection the day of the plane crash, will hold anyone accountable.

“We issued warnings about the close relationship between members of this administration and characters of interest to police locally and internationally,” he told reporters.

Latrae Rahming, spokesman for the office of the prime minister, shared a statement with The Associated Press on Tuesday noting that the government is taking the matter “extremely seriously.” It stated that local law enforcement will launch its own inquiry and that the government will reach out to U.S. officials to seek the sharing of information and obtain any available evidence, adding that it has received no official information identifying any public official related to the case.

“The position of the Government of The Bahamas remains wherever wrongdoing is established, any person involved will be held accountable without fear or favor, and the chips will fall where they may,” the statement read.

Advertisement

U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration Special Agent Michael Coleman asserted in his deposition that multiple drug trafficking organizations are ferrying loads “under the protection of local officials” in the Bahamas.

He alleged that the suspected drug trafficker who survived the plane crash owns a business he uses to “bid on Bahamian government-issued construction contracts and launder his narcotics trafficking proceeds.”

Coleman said the suspect was one of 11 people who survived the crash off the coast of Florida late last week. He was rescued and later arrested.  The pilot told CBS News he lost both engines, all communication and avionics in the lead-up to the crash.

“Basically, lost my navigation, all radios — flying over 25 years and I’ve never seen anything like that,” Ian Nixon, the 43-year-old Bahamian pilot and father of three, told CBS News. “I did my best. I had a lot of stuff going on in the aircraft — just trying to get that under control.”

This photo provided by the U.S. Air Force shows rescue operations underway for survivors of a downed civilian aircraft off the coast of Melbourne, Fla., Tuesday, May 12, 2026.

Advertisement

U.S. Air Force/DVIDS via AP


Dr. Duane Sands, chairman of the Free National Movement party, told The Nassau Guardian newspaper on Monday that the current administration was bringing shame and embarrassment to the Bahamas as he called for a commission of inquiry.

“The Bahamian people are entitled to know,” he was quoted as saying. “The heart and soul of our country are at stake.”

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Florida

Roger Goodell says NFL is cooperating with Florida AG after receiving subpoena

Published

on

Roger Goodell says NFL is cooperating with Florida AG after receiving subpoena


NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says the league is cooperating with Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier after being issued a subpoena.

Uthmeier sent the subpoena to the NFL on May 13 as his office investigates whether the league has committed potential civil rights violations related to the Rooney Rule and the league’s other employment practices, policies and programs.

“I think we have been very clear about our programs, and we obviously evaluate them all the time, not just for how they get better, but also to make sure that they’re consistent with the law,” Goodell said Tuesday during league meetings in Orlando, Florida. “We’re engaging with the Florida attorney general and will continue to. We’ll share everything we’re doing with them. We think it’s certainly within the law, but also something very positive.”

Uthmeier threatened possible enforcement actions against the league in March if it didn’t suspend the 23-year-old Rooney Rule, which requires NFL teams to interview at least two external minority candidates for head coach, general manager and coordinator positions. At least one minority candidate must be interviewed for the quarterbacks coach position.

Advertisement

Uthmeier said in a letter to Goodell that the Rooney Rule amounts to “blatant race and sex discrimination.”

The subpoena orders the league to appear at the attorney general’s office in Tallahassee, Florida, on June 12. It asks the league to produce extensive documents, including “all diversity reports, coaching census data, or demographic surveys that reflect the race and sex of coaching staffs of the teams from 2017 to the present.”

Among the programs being reviewed by Uthmeier’s office is the accelerator program, which the league created in 2022 as an extension of the Rooney Rule to increase diversity among coaches and front office executives.

The accelerator program gives participants an opportunity to connect with owners and team executives, and attend informative sessions designed to equip them for future interviews.

The NFL held its revamped accelerator program on Monday and Tuesday in Orlando after pausing it last May. It now includes nonminority participants and nearly half of this year’s group were white men.

Advertisement

“There are a lot of candidates up there that are diverse, that are getting the opportunity to improve themselves and to get exposure, to get an opportunity,” Goodell said. “So, the people that are up there are the best of the best and they are a very diverse group, but they are the best of the best. And what we’re trying to do here is to make them even better and to give them opportunities. And that’s what I heard is that one, they appreciate the opportunity; two, it was helpful in that.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Florida

Registration for 2026 Florida Python Challenge gets underway Tuesday. Here’s what to know.

Published

on

Registration for 2026 Florida Python Challenge gets underway Tuesday. Here’s what to know.


Florida wildlife officials will release more information about the 2026 Florida Python Challenge on Tuesday, which brings hunters from all over to compete for a big cash prize while also helping protect the local ecosystem.

The competition has been held every year since 2013 to help raise awareness of the invasive Burmese python, which has contributed to the decline of small mammals like opossums, bobcats and foxes.

Python incentives and education specialist Robert Edman, with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, demonstrates how to catch a python during an event promoting the Florida Python Challenge 2020 Python Bowl in 2019. (Al Diaz/Miami Herald/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)

Advertisement

Miami Herald via Getty Images


On Tuesday, officials with the Florida Wish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the South Florida Water Management District and partners are holding a news conference to release more information about the unique competition that helps to support the delicate Florida Everglades ecosystem.

It was a record-breaking year for the competition in 2025. The FWC said 934 people from 30 states and Canada removed a record 294 pythons during the 10-day competition.

Last year was also the first time Everglades National Park was included among the official competition locations.

And last year’s winner removed 60 invasive Burmese pythons and claimed the $10,000 Ultimate Grand Prize.

Advertisement

When is the 2026 Florida Python Challenge?

The 2026 Florida Python Challenge starts at 12:01 a.m. on July 10, 2026, and ends at 5 p.m. on July 19, 2026. Those who are interested in participating in the event can register here.

Participants must follow the competition rules and specific area regulations of the eight competition locations.

Python Hunt Florida

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, center, holds a Burmese python at a media event, Thursday, June 16, 2022, where he announced that registration for the 2022 Florida Python Challenge has opened for the annual 10-day event to be held Aug 5-14, , in Miami. 

Lynne Sladky / AP


Those who are taking part will also be required to take the 2026 version of the Required Online Training, and training from a previous year is not valid for the 2026 registration.

Advertisement

The Florida Python Challenge aims to raise awareness, remove the invasive snakes

The Florida Python Challenge, now a yearly event, includes public education and a 10-day competition in which participants attempt to capture and remove Burmese pythons from public lands. 

The Burmese python is one of the largest snakes in the world, with adult snakes caught in Florida growing to between 6-9 feet in length, and the largest captured in Florida measuring more than 18 feet long.

Because of their large size, adult Burmese pythons don’t have many predators, with humans being the exception.

They can also pose a threat to human safety, with pythons also preying upon pets like cats and dogs.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending