Connect with us

Alabama

Alabama teen on her first mother-daughter beach trip loses her hand and leg in rare double shark attack in Florida as her devastated mom reveals the horror moment she found her ‘lifeless’ in the water

Published

on

Alabama teen on her first mother-daughter beach trip loses her hand and leg in rare double shark attack in Florida as her devastated mom reveals the horror moment she found her ‘lifeless’ in the water


The teen victims of a shark attack in the Florida panhandle have been identified as Lulu Gribbin, who lost a hand and a leg, and McCray Faust, who suffered injuries to her foot.

Ann Blair Gribbin, Lulu’s mom, recounted how her first mother-daughter beach trip quickly turned to horror when sharing an update with friends and family online. 

On Friday, the Gribbin family along with multiple friends visited Seacrest Beach. After coming back from lunch, Ann Blair came back to the beach only to find out there was a shark in the water.

A crowd formed around the edge of the ocean, which had been evacuated by Walton County authorities and lifeguards. That’s when Lulu’s twin sister Ellie came up to her and told her Lulu had been attacked.

Advertisement

‘I saw her wounds on her leg and started to scream. She was lifeless her eyes closed mouth white and pale. The wound on her leg or all that was left of her leg was something out of a movie,’ Gribbin said. 

Lulu Gribbin, was one of the teen girls attacked by a shark Friday. The bites were so severe that surgeons needed to amputate her ‘right leg halfway up from her knee to her hip,’ according to a Facebook post written by her mother

Pictured: Emergency professionals rush shark bite victims away from the beach and toward air transport to the hospital

Pictured: Emergency professionals rush shark bite victims away from the beach and toward air transport to the hospital

This brutal attack occurred at around 3pm, according to South Walton Fire District Fire Chief Ryan Crawford, who said both girls needed tourniquets applied to their bite wounds.

Ann Blair was able to make it to her daughter who she said saw her approaching. Lulu’s eyes were still open so the concerned mom clutched her hand.

Almost immediately, emergency responders loaded her up, carried her off the beach and got her to a helicopter.

Lulu was airlifted to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, which took them an hour and 20 minutes to drive to.

Advertisement

‘We prayed the entire way,’ Ann Blair wrote.

‘We got to Sacred Heart and Lulu was already in surgery, but they answered my prayer that she was alive, and her vitals were good,’ adding that the surgeons told her, ‘the shark had bitten off Lulu’s left hand and that they had to amputate her right leg halfway up from her knee to her hip.’

While the first teen victim was airlifted to a trauma center in Pensacola in critical condition, the other was taken by ambulance in stable condition

While the first teen victim was airlifted to a trauma center in Pensacola in critical condition, the other was taken by ambulance in stable condition

After the attacks, Walton County closed several miles of Gulf of Mexico waters and began waving double red flags. Some beaches have since reopened

After the attacks, Walton County closed several miles of Gulf of Mexico waters and began waving double red flags. Some beaches have since reopened

Ann Blair wrote that Lulu lost two thirds of her blood in the attack, which is beyond life-threatening. Experts say if a human loses more than 40 percent of their blood and doesn’t get immediate surgery, it will lead to death.

Lulu was conscious on Saturday and her first words were ‘I made it.’

She was able to recap the horrifying attack in detail. Authorities had already revealed that the girls were swimming on a sand bar at Seacrest Beach, which Lulu confirmed to her mother. 

Advertisement

The teen added that after she was bit on the hand and then the leg, the shark bit her friend on her foot.  

‘Lulu said a man grabbed her other arm and pulled her out and another younger boy helped him carry her to shore,’ Ann Blair wrote.

Ann Blair also revealed that two doctors and two young women, one of whom were a nurse, were the ones who put tourniquets on Lulu’s wounds.

‘At this point we will have multiple surgeries in the days to come and our lives will be forever changed. Lulu is strong, beautiful, brave and so many more things I can’t count,’ she wrote.

Just four miles away on the same day, a 45-year-old Virginia woman, Elisabeth Foley, was bitten by a shark at around 1:15pm. She suffered significant injuries to her abdominal and pelvic region, with the lower part of one of her arms having to get amputated, Fox10 TV reported.

Advertisement

Foley is now in stable condition, according to representatives from HCA Florida Fort Walton-Destin Hospital, where she was airlifted Friday. 

A fundraiser organized by her family has already raised over $36,000 out of its $50,000 goal

Elisabeth Foley, the first victim of a shark attack on Florida's panhandle, is pictured left

Elisabeth Foley, the first victim of a shark attack on Florida’s panhandle, is pictured left

The attacks took place within four miles of each other, officials said

The attacks took place within four miles of each other, officials said

A 45-year-old woman was bit by the marine animal in the water near Watersound Way and Coopersmith Lane at around 1:15pm Friday

A 45-year-old woman was bit by the marine animal in the water near Watersound Way and Coopersmith Lane at around 1:15pm Friday

As recently as Sunday afternoon, South Walton Fire District lifeguards were still flying warning flags alerting beachgoers to ‘the presence of dangerous marine life.’

‘We encourage all of our beach patrons to be situationally aware in the water today, swim near a lifeguard, stay hydrated, and look out for each other. Please do not underestimate the open water and any of the marine life that could be present,’ the agency wrote on Facebook. 

The day before, a beach marine unit from the sheriff’s office was monitoring the shoreline near where the attacks happened. 

Advertisement

Deputies spotted a 14-foot hammerhead shark near Santa Rosa Beach on Saturday morning, which they emphasized wasn’t uncommon, in a post on X. 

A service for Lulu and McCray’s attacks was held at their hometown church in Alabama on Sunday, AL.com reported.

Sheriff's deputies are pictured out monitoring the waters near where the shark attacks took place on Friday

Sheriff’s deputies are pictured out monitoring the waters near where the shark attacks took place on Friday

The deputies spot a 14-foot hammerhead shark in the water, which they say isn't uncommon

The deputies spot a 14-foot hammerhead shark in the water, which they say isn’t uncommon

St. Luke’s Episcopal Church was packed, according to the report. People filled every pew and even more crowded into an overflow room to show their support for the teen girls as church officials lit candles in honor of them.

Advertisement

The church also said grief counselors would be made available to anyone in the congregation who felt like they needed someone to talk to. 

‘This extended community has got your back,’ Reverend Richmond Webster said to the families in attendance.

These attacks come weeks after officials named Florida as the shark bite capital of the world.

Daytona Beach in Volusia County, Florida, has had the highest concentration of unprovoked attacks globally with 351 since 1837, according to Florida University’s International Shark Attack File.

Daytona Beach is roughly 375 miles away from where this most recent double shark attack occurred. 

Advertisement

On the country-wide level, the US had the most shark attacks in 2023, totaling 1,640, followed by Australia with 706. 





Source link

Alabama

The Weather Authority: Storms, Heavy Rain Possible Across Alabama Today

Published

on

The Weather Authority: Storms, Heavy Rain Possible Across Alabama Today


RADAR CHECK: Scattered areas of rain across Alabama early this morning with temperatures in the 68-73 degree range. Today’s weather will be unsettled with scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms. Understand it won’t rain all day, and it won’t rain everywhere. But most places have a good chance of getting some rain today.

SPC maintains a “marginal risk” (level 1/5) of severe thunderstorms for roughly the western half of the state today and early tonight.

Heavier storms today will be capable of producing strong, gusty winds. A brief, isolated tornado is possible, but not likely. Many places will stay in the 70s today due to clouds and rain.

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND: We will deal with scattered showers and storms tomorrow and Sunday statewide, but they won’t be as numerous as the ones we expect today. Chance of any one spot getting rain both days is 50-60 percent, and most of the showers (but not all) will come from about 2:00 until 10:00 p.m. Otherwise expect a mix of sun and clouds both days with highs in the mid 80s.

Advertisement

Pretty much the same thing on Monday/Memorial Day. Cloudy at times, the risk of a passing shower or storm, highs in the 80s.

Comment with Bubbles

BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT

REST OF NEXT WEEK: The overall pattern won’t change much as the ocean of humidity continues to cover the Deep South. We will have the risk of scattered showers and storms daily, most active during the afternoon and evening hours. Highs hold in the 80s



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Alabama

Alabama Poppy Project display moving from Prattville in 2026

Published

on

Alabama Poppy Project display moving from Prattville in 2026


MOBILE, Ala. (WSFA) – A Memorial Day staple normally found in downtown Prattville is on the move this year.

The Alabama Poppy Project will set up its field of handmade ceramic poppies at Battleship Memorial Park in Mobile, surrounding the USS Alabama.

The poppies are meant to honor the men and women who served the country and are no longer living.

“It was really emotionally overwhelming to see the battleship and all of the aircraft and all of the tanks and everything that you can see,” said Julianne Hansen, founder of the Alabama Poppy Project. “It feels kind of like coming home.”

Advertisement

Hansen also emphasized that Memorial Day not only honors those who died in battle, but also those who died while on active duty.

“My stepson did not pass away in battle, but he did pass away while in active duty and he is a gold-star service member and we are a gold-star family,” Hansen said. “We will fight in order to be able to share the messages and the stories of these people who gave so much for the cause of freedom and for their service to our country.”

Hansen said the move to Mobile provides a new opportunity to teach visitors what the memorial poppy symbolizes, even if the display isn’t the main attraction the way it has been in Prattville.

The display will open Friday morning at Battleship Memorial Park at 8 a.m. and run until 5 p.m. on Tuesday.

Not reading this story on the WSFA News App? Get news alerts FASTER and FREE in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store!

Advertisement

Copyright 2026 WSFA. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

Alabama

AMAZING AMERICA 250: Alabama BBQ Joints Keeping Tradition on the Fire

Published

on

AMAZING AMERICA 250: Alabama BBQ Joints Keeping Tradition on the Fire


In Alabama, some of the best history lessons come with a side of ribs.

Across the state, family-owned barbecue restaurants have served as gathering places and landmarks for generations, surviving wars, recessions and major cultural shifts by sticking to what they know: slow-cooked food and the communities that grew up around it.

At Bob Sykes Barbecue in Bessemer, the pit has been going since 1957, and owner Van Sykes says the magic isn’t about chasing the latest flavor trend. “The art of barbecue is not in a rub it’s in patience and time,” Sykes said.

Sykes grew up in the restaurant, taking orders as a child at his parents’ drive-in. Many of the familiar touches are still there, including old signs, original recipes and even the pit. “Whatever the world does, we just get up and do what we do every day and that fire has been burning since 1957,” he said.

Advertisement

The restaurant has weathered economic downturns, wars and COVID, and like many family businesses, it has evolved while keeping its roots intact. Sykes said customers often return to the meals they remember from growing up. “They always come back to the food they grew up on I hadn’t even been home yet, I came by here first,” he said.

In Northport, Archibald’s Bar-B-Q has also drawn generations of customers, even with a small building and a simple menu. Locals and visitors still line up for hickory-smoked ribs that have made the restaurant a staple for more than 70 years.

Owner Woodrow Washington III said keeping the business in the family has been central to its longevity. “Grandmother said keep everybody together and keep it in the family so that’s what we’ve done,” Washington said. “This is Archibald senior— started in 1962 myself and my brother we’re the 2nd and 3rd generation.”

In Tuscaloosa, Dreamland Bar-B-Que has become part of Alabama culture, with walls filled with memories tied to football legends, coaches and families who have been coming for decades.

Longtime customer Hugh Heller said the place still tops every barbecue stop he’s tried across the country. “I’ve lived all over the united states this is still my favorite barbecue of all places I’ve ever eaten,” Heller said.

Advertisement

For Heller, it’s also a familiar landmark that’s easy to return to. “I’ve been coming here for years it’s not hard for me to find this spot not this place,” he said.

Through every generation, these barbecue joints have kept the same rhythm: showing up early, tending the fire and serving the communities around them. In a state known for football, music and history, some of Alabama’s most lasting stories are still being told right around the dinner table.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending