Connect with us

New Hampshire

New Hampshire man sentenced to minimum 56 years in young daughter’s death

Published

on

New Hampshire man sentenced to minimum 56 years in young daughter’s death


CONCORD, N.H. — A New Hampshire man convicted of killing his 5-year-old daughter and moving her corpse around for months before disposing of it was sentenced Thursday to a minimum of 56 years in prison on murder and other changes as relatives of the child called him a monster.

Missing Girl New Hampshire

Adam Montgomery arrives for his sentencing hearing at Hillsborough Superior Court on Thursday in Manchester N.H. Montgomery was found guilty of second-degree murder earlier in the year in the death of his 5-year-old daughter, Harmony, who police believe was killed nearly two years before she was reported missing in 2021 and whose body was never found. Charles Krupa/Pool photo via Associated Press

That sentence will be added to the minimum 32 1/2-year sentence Adam Montgomery, 34, began last year on unrelated gun charges, effectively amounting to a life sentence following his actions in the death of Harmony Montgomery. Police believe she was killed nearly two years before she was reported missing in 2021. Her body was never found.

A prosecutor offered to lessen the sentence for the second-degree murder conviction and other charges if Montgomery “tells us right now” the location of his daughter’s remains. Montgomery, who has maintained his innocence in the death of his daughter, did not speak in the Manchester courtroom. His attorney later called the offer a “stunt” and said Montgomery’s silence should not be interpreted as a lack of remorse.

Advertisement

People who knew Harmony Montgomery spoke about the happy, kind child they once knew.

“She had a life worth living, unlike your own,” Crystal Sorey, Harmony’s mother, read from a statement addressing Adam Montgomery, her hands shaking. “And it bothered you to your core that she was nothing like you and everything like me.”

Sorey added, “I will forever look for her until the end of my days. But I hope that every day and every night here on this earth, you hear nothing but my baby’s giggle.”

The parents who adopted Harmony’s brother, now 7, spoke on his behalf. “I’m really sad she’s an angel. I miss her,” they quoted him as saying.

Montgomery did not attend his trial in February. He was ordered by the judge to be in court Thursday after his lawyer asked for him to be excused. Montgomery also had pleaded not guilty to charges of second-degree assault and witness tampering. He had admitted to abuse of a corpse and falsifying evidence.

Advertisement

Judge Amy Messer noted that Montgomery had an extensive criminal record that dates back to 2008 and that he had extensive opportunities to change his life.

“Your extreme indifference to the value of human life is seen in so many of your actions,” she said.

Messer said the only way to keep Montgomery from hurting others is to keep him off the streets. “To the extent you seek to rehabilitate yourself, that will have to happen behind the prison walls,” she said.

An email seeking comment on the sentence and asking about a possible appeal was sent to Montgomery’s lawyer, Caroline Smith.

His estranged wife, Kayla Montgomery, had testified that her family, including her two young sons with Adam Montgomery, had been evicted right before Thanksgiving in 2019 and were living in a car. She said on Dec. 7, Adam Montgomery punched Harmony Montgomery at several stop lights as they drove from a methadone clinic to a fast food restaurant because he was angry that the child was having bathroom accidents in the car.

Advertisement

After that, she said she handed food to the children in the car without checking on Harmony Montgomery and that the couple later discovered she was dead after the car broke down. She testified that her husband put the body in a duffel bag. She described various places where the girl’s body was hidden, including the trunk of a car, a cooler, a homeless center ceiling vent and the walk-in freezer at her husband’s workplace.

During Adam Montgomery’s trial, his lawyers suggested that Kayla continued to lie to protect herself. They said their client did not kill Harmony, and that Kayla Montgomery was the last person to see the child alive.

Kayla Montgomery testified that she didn’t come forward about the child’s death because she was afraid of her husband. She said Adam Montgomery suspected that she might go to the police, so he began punching her, giving her black eyes, she said. She eventually ran away from him in March 2021.

Kayla Montgomery was recently granted parole. She is expected to be released from prison soon after serving an 18-month sentence. She pleaded guilty to perjury charges related to the investigation into the child’s disappearance and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors.

“I will forever have a place in my heart for you,” Kayla Montgomery said in a statement read in court on her behalf. But she talked about how their relationship spiraled out of control after Harmony died. “The last couple of nights after you got arrested for the first time, I was sleeping with a knife because I did not know what you were going to do to me,” she wrote, adding, “I’m so angry and hurt by you.”

Advertisement

Adam Montgomery had custody of the girl. Her mother, who was no longer in a relationship with him, said the last time she saw Harmony Montgomery was during a video call in April 2019. She eventually went to the police, who announced they were looking for the missing child on New Year’s Eve 2021. Adam and Kayla Montgomery told police that Adam had taken his daughter to live with Sorey in Massachusetts.

Harmony Montgomery’s case has exposed weaknesses in child protection systems and provoked calls to prioritize the well-being of children over parents in custody matters. Harmony was moved between the homes of her mother and her foster parents multiple times before Adam Montgomery received custody in 2019 and moved to New Hampshire.

Authorities plan to keep searching for the girl’s remains, believed to be along a route Adam Montgomery drove in a rental truck into Massachusetts in March 2020. Prosecutor Benjamin Agati said Thursday that police last went out for a search a couple of weeks ago, but they were not successful.

« Previous

Advertisement
Deaf baby hears for the first time after ‘groundbreaking’ gene therapy trial

Next »

States with abortion bans saw greater drops in medical school graduates applying for residencies
Advertisement



Source link

New Hampshire

Firefighters Extinguish House Fire In Concord’s South End: Video

Published

on

Firefighters Extinguish House Fire In Concord’s South End: Video


CONCORD, NH — Concord fire and rescue teams were sent to a house fire in the South End on Saturday afternoon.

Around 3:15 p.m., Concord Fire Alarm began receiving reports about smoke coming from a home on Brookside Drive. Engine 4 arrived first and confirmed smoke was coming from the building. About 10 minutes later, a firefighter stated the fire appeared to be coming from the basement.

News 603 posted videos on Facebook here:

Advertisement

And here:

A few minutes later, firefighters reported putting water on the fire.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

New Hampshire

Feds put ‘severely disruptive’ restrictions on applying for green cards

Published

on

Feds put ‘severely disruptive’ restrictions on applying for green cards


In a monumental shift in policy, the federal government plans to bar noncitizens from changing their immigration statuses except in extraordinary circumstances.

Local immigration attorneys say the move by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will impact thousands of people in the middle of the process and those planning to adjust their statuses in Massachusetts, and millions of foreign nationals nationwide. That includes students, temporary visa holders, and tourists, say attorneys.

Adjustment of status is when a noncitizen lawfully in the U.S. tries to switch to lawful permanent residence, known as a green card. It has been routine within the USCIS for decades. Adjustment of status has long allowed noncitizens to do so within the US without having to return to their country of origin.

“It’s extremely disruptive and is only going to further burden and complicate the system. It makes no sense,” said Robin Nice, a local immigration attorney.

Advertisement

Todd Pomerleau, a local attorney who has won cases before the Supreme Court, said that the USCIS “can’t eliminate statutory protections nor can it rewrite regulations while going through the proper channels. Otherwise, we’ll sue them in court.”

USCIS released a memo on Friday saying that the system has been abused. Specifically, the memo says the process that allows green card applicants to remain in the U.S. while applying was never intended to replace the system of applying for a visa from abroad. It instructs officers to treat adjustment of status applications as an exceptional, discretionary benefit, and that it is now “an extraordinary form of immigration relief.”

The agency says that even if applicants meet requirements for permanent residence when they’re about to apply in the US, they must leave the U.S. when their current visa ends, and wait for the State Department to process their case.

“It affects every person within the United States that is seeking adjustment of status. It affects students, it effects temporary protected status holders, it affects business visa holders,” said Annelise Araujo, a lawyer who runs an immigration practice in Boston.

Given the backlog of cases, attorneys say noncitizens will have to wait abroad for an indefinite period of time, and potentially be ineligible to return.

Advertisement

USCIS spokesman Zach Kahler said the change is about “returning to the original intent of the law.”

“This policy allows our immigration system to function as the law intended instead of incentivizing loopholes. When aliens apply from their home country, it reduces the need to find and remove those who decide to slip into the shadows and remain in the U.S. illegally after being denied residency,” he said in a statement. Kahler said nonimmigrants, like students, temporary workers, or people on tourist visas, come to the U.S. for a short time and for a specific purpose, and they must leave after.

Nice said the policy will drive immigrants “underground” and force them to pay thousands of extra dollars annually in renewing temporary statuses and work permits, since they won’t want to go abroad.

Araujo said the policy change will have a large impact on students. F-1 student visa holders can currently apply for green cards with limitations.

“They may change what their goals are, right? They may decide that they want to permanently stay after they’ve entered the United States and they may look for a job here. And that’s why adjustment of status exists,” she said.

Advertisement

Both Nice and Araujo said USCIS is wrong that this has previously been standard policy.

Araujo said the change will also impact people on work visas, like CEOs of multinational corporations, or on specialized visas, like an H-1B, a visa for foreign nationals with specialized knowledge in fields like technology, engineering, healthcare or finance.

“They can go from a non-immigrant intent, which was the intent they had at the time they applied to enter, to a immigrant intent after they’ve been in the United States,” she said. Noncitizens told they can’t have a path to a green card and work lawfully may start considering other countries.

Pomerleau recommended noncitizens thinking of adjusting their status or in the middle of it consult with an immigration attorney.

“This is just yet another sign of the government trying to make things difficult for people that are even able to follow the laws that Congress created,” said Pomerleau.

Advertisement

Copyright 2026 GBH News Boston





Source link

Continue Reading

New Hampshire

Best New Hampshire schools for athletes? According to one study, these are top 25

Published

on

Best New Hampshire schools for athletes? According to one study, these are top 25


New Hampshire has long carried an athletic pedigree in the high school landscape.

The legendary Red Rolfe helped put baseball on the map in the area, and the momentum continued with names like Carlton Fisk and Cy Young Award-winning pitcher Mike Flanagan. Olympic gold medalists Tara Mounsey and Katie King dominated the hockey scene, and standout Matt Bonner helped add to the state’s basketball legacy.

That legacy, of course, continues today, with the next generation of athletes paving their way into the record books.Which high schools in New Hampshire are considered the best for athletes today? 

According to one study conducted by Niche, which accounts for survey feedback from students and parents—accounting for “reviews of athletics, number of state championships, student participation in athletics, and the number of sports offered at the school”—and data from the U.S. Department of Education, these are the top 25.

Advertisement

25. Pembroke Academy

Total number of sports: 23

24. Sanborn Regional High School (Kingston)

Total number of sports: 19

23. Hanover High School

Total number of sports: 28

22. Holderness School

Total number of sports: 34

21. Milford High School

Total number of sports: 24

Advertisement

20. Dover Senior High School

Total number of sports: 25

19. St. Thomas Aquinas High School (Dover)

Total number of sports: 26

18. The Derryfield School (Manchester)

Total number of sports: 43

17. Hollis-Brookline High School

Total number of sports: 24

16. Winnacunnet High School (Hampton)

Total number of sports: 27

Advertisement

15. Salem High School

Total number of sports: 26

14. Windham High School

Total number of sports: 25

13. Hopkinton High School (Contoocook)

Total number of sports: 12

12. Concord High School

Total number of sports: 17

11. Plymouth Regional High School

Total number of sports: 24

Advertisement

10. Coe-Brown Northwood Academy

Total number of sports: 24

9. Londonderry Senior High School

Total number of sports: 29

8. Portsmouth High School

Total number of sports: 25

7. Bow High School

Total number of sports: 27

6. Pinkerton Academy (Derry)

Total number of sports: 23

Advertisement

5. Gilford High School

Total number of sports: 25

4. Souhegan Cooperative High School (Amherst)

Total number of sports: 30

3. Exeter High School

Total number of sports: 34

2. Bishop Guertin High School (Nashua)

Total number of sports: 35

1. Bedford High School

Total number of sports: 34

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending