Northeast
Democratic town furious over migrant shelter opening in neighborhood
Residents in a New England town are fuming that they have not been consulted on plans to convert a former state prison into a tax-payer-funded migrant shelter for hundreds of people.
The state is refurbishing Norfolk, Massachusetts’ Bay State Correctional Center, a former minimum-security dorm-like facility, to accommodate migrants and homeless individuals who are currently holed up at Boston’s Logan International Airport and are on the waitlist for an emergency shelter program. The facility is located on the grounds of Massachusetts Correctional Institution (MCI), a medium-security prison.
Norfolk has a population of about 11,500 and voted heavily in favor of President Joe Biden in 2020.
The governor’s office tells Fox News Digital it expects the shelter to be operational next month as a “temporary safety-net site for families experiencing homelessness.” Families who will stay at the site will be subject to the 30-day engagement requirements and a monthly recertification process to demonstrate they are taking action toward getting work permits, jobs and housing.
MIGRANT CHILDREN IN MASSACHUSETTS LIVED AMONG SEX PREDATORS AS DEM GOVERNOR CLAIMED SHELTERS ‘VETTED’: REPORT
Residents and local officials expressed frustration over the sudden news that the state is opening an emergency shelter for migrant families at the former Bay State Correctional Center, pictured. (Google Earth)
But at a tense special Select Board meeting on Wednesday, about 300 residents gathered to raise alarm over the new facility opening in their town and blasted the state for keeping them in the dark about it.
Residents said they want answers about the impact on schools, police and emergency services, pointing out that municipal budgets are already stretched thin.
“Let’s face it, we don’t want it here. We don’t,” resident John Semas said, according to GBH.
“And, it doesn’t make us bad people, it doesn’t make me not compassionate, it doesn’t make me a bad father.” Semas was among a small group of people donning shirts and placards that read “Save Norfolk: No Shelter,” the publication reports.
He blasted Gov. Maura Healey, a Democrat, who had left for a climate change conference at the Vatican instead of engaging with her electorate.
Healey last summer declared a state of emergency over the surge of migrants into the state and the Bay State has struggled to get a grip on the crisis. The state has previously said that it is obliged to cater to the migrants because of its 1983 sanctuary city law which was passed to deal with the relatively small number of homeless families and pregnant women, although critics have said the law does not apply to migrants who are not U.S. citizens.
In the 2020 presidential election, 4,100 Norfolk residents voted for President Biden compared to 2,570 who voted for former President Trump. Massachusetts is a deep blue state with its nine Congress members and two senators being Democrats.
HAITIAN MIGRANT CHARGED WITH RAPE OF 15-YEAR-OLD GIRL ENTERED CONTROVERSIAL PAROLE PROGRAM: SOURCES
Massachusetts Governor Maura Healey was criticized for leaving for a climate change conference at the Vatican instead of engaging with locals. (Jonathan Wiggs/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)
Select Board Chair Jim Lehan said he initially learned about the shelter plans via social media and was angry that the town did not receive prior notice.
“It’s their building [the state’s] and they don’t need our permission to use it, but it would have been nice to partner at the front end to understand what their plans were,” Lehan said, according to GBH.
It is unclear how many migrants will be sent to the facility, which was decommissioned in 2015.
The state’s emergency assistance director, Scott Rice, says that the facility remains in good condition and has the space to accommodate around 140 families.
In a statement to Fox News Digital, Rice said families there will have access to showers and bathrooms on each floor. The facility also has a cafeteria, a gymnasium, a large common room and offices that will be used for case management and administrative activities.
Rice added that play areas for children will be set up along with classroom spaces for adults to learn English and get job training.
The site will be staffed 24/7 by a contracted service provider and families will be provided with transportation on and off site. The razor wire on the fence surrounding the facility will be removed, and the gates will remain open, so families will be free to exit and return as needed, the governor’s office says.
It is unclear how much the entire operation will cost the taxpayer.
Healey’s office says that the administration will hold a community meeting prior to its opening in order to answer questions and connect with community members who want to provide sports, arts and music programming for the children in shelters.
The administration says it has already met with local officials including the Norfolk legislative delegation, the Town Administrator, members of the Select Board, as well as the fire and police chiefs.
The state is refurbishing the Bay State Correctional Center, a former minimum-security dorm-like facility in the town of Norfolk, to accommodate migrants who are currently holed up at Logan Airport. (JOSEPH PREZIOSO/AFP via Getty Images)
At Wednesday’s meeting, resident Lauren Vives said the shelter could bring a financial burden to the town, which only has two elementary schools, one ambulance, a small police and fire department and no grocery store.
“The proposition to increase our town’s population by 4% overnight is preposterous,” Vivas said, according to GBH. She said that the plan shows “a lack of respect” for the town.
CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Not everyone was against the shelter. Resident Lucy Bullock-Sieger said it was a good idea to help the migrants and said Norfolk is not a town of fear.
“I can’t imagine being the mom of young children and trying to find a better life,” she said, according to GBH.
Fox News Digital reached out to Gov. Healey’s office for comment but did not immediately receive a response.
Read the full article from Here
Boston, MA
Unresponsive teenage boy pulled from pond in Andover, Massachusetts
An unresponsive teenage boy was pulled from a pond in Andover, Massachusetts on Tuesday afternoon. It happened at Field Pond in Harold Parker State Forest at about 4:30 p.m. near Farrwood Drive.
When Andover Police officers and firefighters arrived, they found several boys who were on the opposite shoreline yelling to them. They were attempting to direct them to where the boy was last seen before he went underwater.
First responders went into the water with a paddleboard and made their way out to the area where the boy was last seen. The boy was found about 25 feet from shore, submerged in about 10-12 feet of water.
The boy was pulled from the pond and taken back to shore on the paddleboard. Andover Police said they immediately began lifesaving procedures. The boy was transported to Lawrence General Hospital and then to a Boston hospital by Medflight.
The news was shocking to fisherman Fred Menis. He said the pond has, “a lot of weeds, a lot of rocks, a lot of debris underneath.
He said that while swimming is common in some areas of the pond, it is typically busy and filled with boats. “Usually, there should be enough kayakers and surfboards out here that somebody should have been around to help out,” Menis said.
Many of the teen boys were still on Farrwood Drive Tuesday evening in a very emotional state. Many of them were still wearing swim trunks as they spoke to police, before being picked up by parents.
The incident remains under investigation, and no other information has been released.
Pittsburg, PA
New Pittsburgh Public Schools board taking up controversial plan to close 7 schools
The new Pittsburgh Public Schools board is once again taking up a controversial plan to close seven schools.
At Pittsburgh Manchester K-8, one of the schools that could close, the hallways are mostly empty, and the building is full of classrooms that are seldom or never used. There are only nine kids in the entire second grade, seven students in the sixth grade and 13 in the eighth. The building has a capacity for 541 students but is home to only 129.
“That is a textbook example of an underutilized building, and we have about 15 schools currently that are below 200,” said Pittsburgh Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Wayne Walters.
Manchester is one of seven schools and a total of nine underused buildings that would be closed under the district’s Future-Ready Facilities Plan. On the North Side, the plan calls for closing both Manchester and Schiller 6-8, consolidating those students at Martin Luther King and the Allegheny Traditional Academy.
Walters says the plan will save the district about $8 million a year on staff salaries, utilities and maintenance costs — money which would provide more resources and better educational opportunities in these merged schools.
“We have limited resources right now. We have a deficit, but certainly making this move will provide some savings, some savings for us to really implement the quality programming we need in this Future-Ready Facilities Plan,” Walters said.
After nearly two years of study, the board voted the plan down last November, delaying its implementation, which was planned for the 2026-27 school year. Even if the new board approves it now, it won’t go into effect until the 2027-28 school year.
But in kicking the can down the road, the old board bent to parents and community groups like 412 Justice, who said the plan disproportionally impacted Black neighborhood schools. They’ve called for further study.
“It’s about the plan. It’s not about keeping buildings open. It’s just that we’re not confident in the district’s ability to move 6,000 students with all these unanswered questions,” said Angel Gober with 412 Justice.
But school board president Gene Walker says time has run out. Walker was unsuccessful in convincing the old board, but says the new members are keenly aware of the costs of overcapacity. Enrollment has dropped from 32,000 to 18,000 students over the past two decades, and the board can’t justify spending a significant chunk of its $731 million budget on half-empty schools.
“I think we’re going to be able to get it through this time,” Walker said.
Walters said if the plan doesn’t go through, the district could be in trouble.
“I think we’re going to be forced to answer some really challenging questions about our future as a district,” Walters said.
The board will discuss the plan on Wednesday night in anticipation of a final approval vote next week. The board president believes the board will do what the district says is the right thing.
Connecticut
Man killed in Glastonbury crash
A man is dead after a crash in Glastonbury on Tuesday afternoon, police said.
The crash happened around 2:45 p.m. in the area of Hebron Avenue and Glenwood Road. First responders were called in response to the report of a crash with injuries.
When police arrived at the scene, they found an 84-year-old man driving one of the vehicles. He was unconscious and was rushed to an area hospital. A passenger in the same vehicle was also taken to the hospital for evaluation.
Police said that, according to an investigation, the 84-year-old driver was traveling east on Hebron Avenue when he turned left onto Glenwood Road. As he turned, he drove into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
The crash redirected the 84-year-old’s vehicle into a third vehicle.
Police said the man later died at the hospital. He hasn’t been identified at this time.
-
Washington2 minutes ago
Washington Lottery Mega Millions, Cash Pop results for May 19, 2026
-
Wisconsin8 minutes ago
Wisconsin Lottery Mega Millions, Pick 3 results for May 19, 2026
-
West Virginia14 minutes agoThis week in West Virginia history
-
Wyoming20 minutes agoWyoPreps’ 2026 Wyoming High School Track and Field State Championship Preview
-
Crypto26 minutes agoK33 Research Says Bitcoin’s $60K Bottom Was Bear Market’s Maximum Drawdown
-
Finance32 minutes agoElections Board Rule Could Limit Public Access to Campaign Finance Complaints
-
Fitness38 minutes agoLeast fit people need to do more exercise than fittest to get same benefit – study
-
Movie Reviews50 minutes agoJack Ryan: Ghost War review – Amazon’s Tom Clancy series spawns middling movie