Connect with us

Minneapolis, MN

No injuries reported during early morning Minneapolis fire

Published

on

No injuries reported during early morning Minneapolis fire


Minneapolis fire officials are working to determine what caused an early morning fire at a business on Thursday.

According to the city’s fire department, crews were called to a two-story building on the 300 block of East Lake Street around 4:15 a.m. When crews arrived, they found smoke on the second floor and sprinklers going off.

Flames were eventually found in a second-floor closet and quicky extinguished.

No one was found during a search of the building, and no injuries were reported.

Advertisement

The fire department says multiple second-floor windows had to be broken in order to ventilate the building, which will now be boarded up.



Source link

Minneapolis, MN

National Fast Food Chain With Dozens Of MN Locations Dramatically Downsizing

Published

on

National Fast Food Chain With Dozens Of MN Locations Dramatically Downsizing


One of the nation’s largest fast food chains, which operates numerous restaurants across Minnesota, will be shuttering hundreds of eateries across the country.

Wendy’s expects to close roughly 5 to 6 percent of its locations nationwide, including 28 restaurants that closed during the fourth quarter of 2025. With 5,969 locations across the country reported at the end of last year, that means nearly 360 Wendy’s restaurants could shutter during the first half of this year.

“By closing consistently underperforming restaurants, we are enabling our franchisee partners to increase focus on locations with the greatest potential for profitable growth,” Wendy’s acting CEO Ken Cook said in an earnings call with investors on Friday.

On a positive note, Wendy’s said that new chicken tenders and an upgraded sauce lineup resonated with customers and boosted satisfaction last year. Menu additions feature a cheesy bacon cheeseburger, a chicken tenders ranch wrap and improved chicken sandwiches with bun upgrades, signaling a renewed focus on core burger and chicken platforms.

Advertisement

“In 2026, we will prioritize meaningful innovation across both hamburgers and chicken, focusing on launches that restaurants can execute with excellence while reinforcing our quality positioning,” Cook said. “In addition to a new menu approach, we are elevating the effectiveness of our marketingand optimizing our mix by allocating more spend towards digital, social and streaming platforms.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

I-394 construction resumes next weekend: Delays expected

Published

on

I-394 construction resumes next weekend: Delays expected


Drivers should prepare for “significant” delays as construction resumes on I-394 next Sunday.

I-394 construction details

Advertisement

What we know:

The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) says the $67 million project is focusing on fixing bridges, ramps and pavement while also improving accessibility.

Starting Sunday, the Penn Avenue bridge over I-394 will be closed.

Advertisement

As a detour, drivers can use North Wayzata Boulevard to cross Theodore Wirth Parkway, leading to South Wayzata Boulevard.

Expect lane closures on I-394 westbound, which will be reduced to two lanes between downtown Minneapolis and Highway 100 in Golden Valley. The E-ZPass option will not be available on the impacted stretch.

Advertisement

The backstory:

MnDOT started the initial phase of the construction project in July.

Additional closures

Advertisement

What we know:

Sporadic closures will occur along I-394 in both directions between downtown Minneapolis and Highway 100.

The Park Place Boulevard/Xenia Avenue ramp in St. Louis Park will also close, with a detour option from Louisiana Avenue to Wayzata Boulevard.

Advertisement

Later this month, I-394 will shut down for a weekend in both directions between Highway 100 and I-94. Drivers can use Highway 169 to I-694 as a workaround.

What’s next:

Advertisement

Construction is expected to continue through the fall.

TrafficMnDOTMinnesota



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

Alex Pretti shooting: Minnesota BCA says FBI officially denied them access to evidence in case

Published

on

Alex Pretti shooting: Minnesota BCA says FBI officially denied them access to evidence in case


The Minnesota BCA has announced the FBI has officially informed the agency it will not allow the state access to evidence in the shooting of Alex Pretti at the hands of federal agents in Minneapolis last month.

FBI denies access to Pretti evidence

What we know:

Advertisement

In a statement on Monday, the BCA said the notification about the denial came on Feb. 13 as the agency reiterated requests for information on the shootings of Renee Good, Alex Pretti and Julio Sosa-Celis.

The state had argued in court for the preservation of evidence in the Pretti shooting and was initially granted a restraining order which was later lifted as the Department of Justice opened a civil rights investigation into the shooting. Federal officials have said the shooting is being reviewed jointly by the Department of Homeland Security and FBI.

Advertisement

What’s next:

The BCA says it will continue to investigate the shootings despite the lack of cooperation from the federal government.

Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty has said she expects to have enough evidence to make a charging decision in Pretti’s shooting along with the Good and Sosa-Celis shootings. However, there are questions about whether a state case against a federal officer would survive the courts due to the Supremacy clause in the constitution.

Advertisement

The backstory:

Alex Pretti was shot and killed on Saturday, Jan. 24 after a confrontation outside of Glam Doll Donuts along Nicollet Avenue.

Advertisement

ProPublica has identified the federal officers involved in the shooting as Border Patrol Agent Jesus Ochoa and Customs and Border Protection Officer Raymundo Gutierrez.

Witness video appears to show agents disarming Pretti before gunfire erupted. According to the New York Post, the Department of Homeland Security was investigating whether an agent misfired Pretti’s weapon after seizing it, leading other officers to mistake the accidental shot for an attack.

Full statement from the Minnesota BCA

Advertisement

What they’re saying:

The FBI formally notified the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) on Feb. 13 that it will not provide the BCA with access to any information or evidence that it has collected in the Jan. 24 shooting death of Alex Pretti. The BCA reiterated the request to receive information, access to evidence, and cooperation in the Jan. 7 shooting death of Renee Good and the Jan. 14 shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis. It remains unclear if there will be any cooperation or sharing of information related to those two shootings.

While this lack of cooperation is concerning and unprecedented, the BCA is committed to thorough, independent and transparent investigations of these incidents, even if hampered by a lack of access to key information and evidence. Our agency has committed to the FBI and Department of Justice that should its stance change we remain willing to share information that we have obtained with that agency and would welcome a joint investigation. We will continue to pursue all legal avenues to gain access to relevant information and evidence.

Advertisement

BCA investigations of these incidents continue. The BCA will present its findings without recommendation to the appropriate prosecutorial authorities for review. 

Anyone with information about the shooting of Alex Pretti, Renee Good or Julio Sosa-Celis is urged to contact the BCA at 651-793-7000 or by email at bca.tips@state.mn.us.

Advertisement
ImmigrationMinneapolis ICE shootingMinneapolis



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending