Connect with us

Michigan

West Michigan man sentenced to 50 years in federal prison for child exploitation

Published

on

West Michigan man sentenced to 50 years in federal prison for child exploitation


GRAND RAPIDS — A West Michigan man has been sentenced to 50 years in federal prison for child exploitation.  

Timothy Baker, 42, of Wyoming, is a previously convicted sex offender who was convicted by a federal jury of multiple child exploitation offenses. Baker’s 50-year prison sentence was announced Tuesday, April 9, by U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Michigan Mark Totten.

“The crime of child exploitation is so depraved in part because its victims are so vulnerable,” Totten said. “My office, along with our law enforcement partners, commits to protect our kids and bring these offenders to justice.” 

Authorities began investigating Baker in 2023. A minor reported to authorities that Baker sexually assaulted her, according to a news release. 

Advertisement

The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office launched an investigation and found evidence of the assault, along with evidence that Baker had been conspiring with another adult to produce child pornography of a second victim, according to the release. 

The Federal Bureau of Investigation followed these leads and identified a third child victim whom Baker had sexually assaulted, according to the release. 

Baker was arrested and charged with three federal offenses: conspiracy to sexually exploit a child, coercion and enticement of a child and the separate crime of committing both offenses while being required to register as a sex offender. 

Subscribe: Get unlimited access to our local coverage

Advertisement

After a two-day trial last December, Baker was convicted of all three offenses by a jury. 

“The exploitation and coercion revealed in this case was extremely disheartening,” said Cheyvoryea Gibson, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI in Michigan. “It is our mission to protect our youth by aggressively investigating individuals like these defendants, and we will continue this important work every day.” 

Baker was investigated and prosecuted as part of Project Safe Child, according to the release. It is the Department of Justice’s unified and comprehensive strategy to combat child exploitation. More information is available online at justice.gov/psc/about-project-safe-childhood.  

— Contact reporter Evan Sasiela at esasiela@sentinel-standard.com. Follow him on Twitter @SalsaEvan.





Source link

Advertisement

Michigan

Ohio State football coach Ryan Day just flipped rivalry pressure onto his Michigan counterpart — Jimmy Watkins

Published

on

Ohio State football coach Ryan Day just flipped rivalry pressure onto his Michigan counterpart — Jimmy Watkins


ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Michigan coach Sherrone Moore wears his cap low, but he can’t hide the bleary eyes under his bill at the postgame podium.

He looks like he’s been crying. No surprise. When Moore dons the Wolverines headset, he bares his soul into the mic. When he first emerged from Michigan’s locker room on Saturday afternoon, he chest-bumped players and urged the Big House crowd to bring noise.

And when emotion fuels The Game, as it has over the last four seasons, Moore fits Michigan like his linemen fit Buckeye run plays.

But when talent wins out, as it did during Ohio State’s 27-9 win vs. UM on Saturday, Moore loses his rivalry aura. The Buckeyes widen the holes in his resume. You start to see him differently, and not just due to dried tears.

Advertisement

“It stings. Everybody stings,” Moore said Saturday. “You sting for the seniors, sting for the program. When we’re in this 24/7, when you’re in this for 365, this hurts. And you work tirelessly to make this be successful.

“… I’ll put it on me. I always put stuff on me and, (we will) self-reflect, self-look at what we need to fix, see what we need to do.”

Welcome to Ohio State coach Ryan Day’s world, minus the cushion earned by piling accomplishments next to a pair of gold pants. Over the last four years — and particularly the fourth — Moore and Michigan have made their names invalidating the Buckeyes’ would-be bullet proof resume. For every Buckeye bullet point, his Wolverines offered a rebuttal.

OSU won 12 games per season, but …

It made two College Football Playoff appearances, but …

Advertisement

It won the national championship (!) last season, but …

The Buckeyes — particularly Day — still couldn’t beat Michigan.

Now the rabbit has the gold pants, and he was already faster and stronger. Even sans Saturday’s win, Ohio State owns the nation’s longest active winning streak. It boasts the best gambling odds to win the national championship (again), and Day has built this program to sustain success.

Meanwhile, Michigan follows a blueprint designed to, um, good question.

What is Michigan football (and its coach) without the rivalry win?

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Michigan

Southwest Michigan city postpones holiday parade ahead of heavy snowfall

Published

on

Southwest Michigan city postpones holiday parade ahead of heavy snowfall


THREE RIVERS, MI — The city of Three Rivers is moving its holiday light parade back in anticipation of dangerous winter weather Saturday, Nov. 29.

“Mother Nature has decided to enter her own float into the parade tonight … a giant snow machine,” officials said in a Facebook post. “We’re hitting pause on the Holiday Light Parade for everyone’s safety.”

The community will gather at 6 p.m. Dec. 19, instead, per the Downtown Three Rivers Facebook post.

The after-dark parade features floats decked out with twinkling, colorful lights and music, per a Wednesday, Nov. 26 Facebook post.

Advertisement

Floats travel less than 1 mile through downtown Three Rivers on their route, per the post.

The small town, located about 30 miles south of Kalamazoo, is expected to see heavy snowfall and deteriorating road conditions beginning Saturday afternoon and evening.

“A widespread moderate to heavy snow event is about to unfold across the region,” NWS meteorologists in Grand Rapids said in today’s forecast notes. “This storm has a lot going for it and confidence remains high we’ll see widespread 6-10 inches of snow with locally higher amounts.”

Want more Kalamazoo-area news? Bookmark MLive’s local Kalamazoo news page.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Michigan

Michigan State basketball’s win vs. North Carolina sets broadcast record

Published

on

Michigan State basketball’s win vs. North Carolina sets broadcast record


Michigan State forward Jaxon Kohler (0) celebrates after his 3-point basket against North Carolina during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game Thursday, Nov. 27, 2025, in Fort Myers, Fla. (AP Photo/Mike Carlson)AP

Michigan State keeps winning games and drawing eyeballs.

The No. 11 Spartans (7-0) rolled to a 74-58 win against No. 16 North Carolina (6-1) on Thursday to close the Fort Myers Tip-Off in a matchup that drew 5.49 million viewers on FOX as the most-watched college basketball game ever on the network, it was announced Friday.

The Thanksgiving matchup that followed the Packers beating the Lions peaked at 13.41 million viewers. That figure is a 6 percent increase from FOX’s last Thanksgiving college hoops game, a Michigan State loss against Arizona in 2023 during the Acrisure Classic in California.

Jeremy Fears posted a career-high 19 points and dished out seven assists to lead the Spartans on Thursday while Carson Cooper scored 14, Cam Ward had 11 and Jaxon Kohler added 10. They’re off to their longest undefeated start in a decade and open Big Ten play against Iowa (7-0) on Tuesday at the Breslin Center before hosting No. 4 Duke (8-0) on Dec. 6.

Matt Wenzel has been the Michigan State football beat writer for MLive since 2017 and also covers men’s and women’s basketball, hockey and other sports.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending